PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-05-2005, 01:42 AM #1
-Assassin-89

Messin' With The Law?

Yo guys whatsup. so me and a couple of pals wanna make our own Rec field in this, kind of, isolated tall grass field. its such an awesome place to play and we love practicing there, but theres only one thing thats in the way of it all; the law (because its public property, and theres a highway becide it, but the highway we dont care about really.) We've played there a few times and all has went well, but we wanna get some grass choppers and cut a few large trails and baces and bunkers there, just so we can really play some paintball and no more vietnam style sneaking around sh*t. But before we start this "project", we need some good advice, is it too risky? what would happen if we got caught paintballing there, or if we got caught cutting the grass? help us RT!

The one and only.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2005, 09:59 AM #2
TheDecoy

has been a member for 10 years
I would advise 1st not playing on an area near the Hwy for one. Paintballs slice. sometime like golf balls. Gotta get Net.

You may try and approach the city on Renting the space, where I live the property under power lines can have anything built on it and you can actually lease the land for $1 an acher i think. from the power company. Well that is what I heard
Old 06-05-2005, 10:07 PM #3
LS4987

me and about 15 of my friends used to play near the interstate on an area of land that was commercial property. We never had permission and we built bunkers and everything on this site. One day the cops came, we would have gotten into trouble, but we had a kid whos dad was a cop, so we could keep playin, but i wouldnt recommend playin at your place or doing anything without permisson from the owner of the property or the city, we just got lucky.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:46 PM #4
Trock55
KTFO!

Trock55 is a Supporting Member
Really not a good idea. Are you sure its "public property" or city owned property? Most all land is owned by someone.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:12 AM #5
njusko

I don't know about where you are living but where I live (Medford, Southern New Jersey) it isn't "illegal" to play paintball on public property since a paintball marker is not classified as a firearm. However, if the police are dicks about it they can force you to leave because of causing a "disruption of the public good" but hell most of the cops in my area play..sometimes they'll join us after their shift is over. So for my area I know that as long as you're not putting the safety of anyone else in jeopardy (you might want to rethink it being so close to a highway, if you hit a car with a paintball and inadvertantly cause a person to wreck or just cause damage to their vehicle you'll be held at least partially-liable, if not fully). Just at least go to your city hall and request that you rent the land from the city, if its not industrial or residential zoned and not protected wild space then you should not have a problem getting it for cheap...especially if there are powerlines or something there since noone wants to build or develop near powerlines (by powerlines I mean those large metal structures). That's the best option since you'll also be giving the sport of rec-paintball a good, legal, legitimate face and might have people reconsider the negative stereotype that we so commonly face.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:15 AM #6
njusko

Oh yeah, also check with your local schools, especially the smaller ones and see if you can arrange a deal to play on their undeveloped acreage during either weekends or when noones in or around the school. That's where we play on weekends, behind the local school since there's like 5 acres of undeveloped land. Had the cops called 6 times on us by the douchebag senior citizens...*sigh*...but the cops only forced us to leave once. But generally rural cops are actually pretty cool about ballers since most of them play as well..one of them actually wanted to try out my gun since he was considering buying an ion as well..lol.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:14 PM #7
massive_ian

lol in ny we get our guns taken away even if were shooting in the back yard because its considered a fire arm and i bet where u are njusk i bet its concidered a fire arm too
Old 06-08-2005, 02:40 PM #8
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally posted by massive_ian
lol in ny we get our guns taken away even if were shooting in the back yard because its considered a fire arm and i bet where u are njusk i bet its concidered a fire arm too
that might be rochester thing, because that is NOT what its like acoross the state.

In NY a paintball marker is considered what it should be, an airgun.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Old 06-08-2005, 03:33 PM #9
Zus

Honestly near a highway is dumb to many people are going to see

go out in the woods a little more away from the road doesnt matter as long as you are not with in 100 yards of a road you are safe

in florida the law is no where within 100yards
Old 06-12-2005, 01:41 AM #10
Jaan
Corn Flakes Killer

You just have to use good judgement and common sense. Some towns and cities have some really REALLY bad cops working for them, other places have mostly decent cops. I've seen cops do some pretty aweful things, like planting evidence, stealing your stuff, even torture ... my friend gave them some crap once so they put a phonebook on his head and hit him with a nightstick. If you think paintballs hurt, try that. Trust me, me and my buddies were real punks when we were young, we've seen it all LOL Sometimes we deserved it, sometimes, we *didn't*.

I've been playing renegade paintball for about 15 years. Generally, if you fly under the radar nobody will care. If you play where people can see you, or hear you you're asking for trouble. Try to imagine being on the other side of it ... there are, unfortunately, a LOT of kids using paintball guns to vandalize (I NEVER did that btw) and if you see a kid next to a highway with a paintball gun you might call the cops.

Cops usually are lenient if they can see you're being respectful. Try to find a place where nobody will notice you, or care.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:20 PM #11
njusko

Main Entry: fire·arm
Pronunciation: 'fIr-"ärm
Function: noun
: a weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder -- usually used of small arms

The key word there is gunpowder, you might have some crooked *** cops who are just on a power trip because legally the paintball marker is still not considered a firearm and therefore not illegal on public ground where there is no reasonable risk of third party unintentional harm. It is just as legal for them to take away your paintball marker as it is for them to legally take away a kids nerf gun or supersoaker that is also air powered and not projecting a metallic projectile under the ignition of a gunpowder primer. I think you've got some crooked pig cops who took away the guns in order for them to have their own.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:26 PM #12
njusko

Quote:
where u are njusk i bet its concidered a fire arm too
Actually I called up the local city hall and asked them straight up where it would it be alright for me to play paintball on public ground, and they said that as long as no non-playing bystanders complain or are in either intentional or unintentional harm then it is ok to play on public ground that is at least 150 yards away from any major thoroughfare. Also the officer I was talking to said that the law did not define the paintball marker as a firearm since the projectile was under air power, however, there was a recent law instated to make it mandatory that all people using a paintball marker (with or without other people present) have to be wearing some form of sanctioned goggle system or adequate eye protection designed to protect the eyes from harmful projectile (i.e. glasses don't cut it since that is not what they were designed to do). So no it is not considered a firearm and whoever took away your markers (PLEASE PEOPLE STOP CALLING THEM "GUNS" AND MAKING IT EASIER FOR THEM TO PUT SOME BS LAW IN PLACE!)did so illegally.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:26 PM #13
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally posted by njusko
It is just as legal for them to take away your paintball marker as it is for them to legally take away a kids nerf gun or supersoaker
not quite, both of those are toys and a paintball marker is classified as an Air Gun
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Old 06-12-2005, 07:28 PM #14
njusko

Quote:
not quite, both of those are toys and a paintball marker is classified as an Air Gun
Yeah I guess my hyperbole went a little too far in that comparison. I'm gonna get a nerf gun to go through aluminum siding and then we'll see them call it a 'toy', lol.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:40 PM #15
som3 dud3
Hop stars

Hey if you ever get that whole idea working tell me how you did it.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:35 PM #16
Weens
25 letters?

Out in my town, we actually had a few people start a game in a park, put up a net and put on a demo. It was cool. As long as you tell the owners what you'll be doing, I doubt they'd care.

Canadian Ballas Club Member #30
Old 06-18-2005, 05:18 AM #17
Trock55
KTFO!

Trock55 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
I think you've got some crooked pig cops who took away the guns in order for them to have their own.
Maybe so....sounds like a great idea to me.

Something that is often overlooked is that the "cops" GENERALLY only harass you about paintball if someone calls and complains...which usually begins with some idiot who doesn't know the correct places to play or how to play safely.