Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-20-2001, 12:33 AM #1
extreme_ed
Awaiting Email Confirmation

has been a member for 10 years
Question move on?

Hello everyone,[b][color=darkblue]
I am considering the change from my model 98 with flatline and df and co2 to this gun...
a used eclipse mag with..
12" stainless barrel
forgrip
rva
spacer kit, ( what does this do exactly?)
wizard valve ( what does this do better then a stock one?)

its is for 660 canadian plus tax or about 440 american. do you people consider this a good buy?
i am also considering a 2001 autococker instead of the mag, as it is about the same price after a aftermarket barrel, or a impulse whitch is a little more but still in a price range, what do you people think what is the advantages and disadvantaged or these guns? the mag, tippmann w/ flatline, 2001 cocker w/ new barrel, impulse. what changes would i see from the tippmann to these other guns? which of the 3 i am considering do you think is the most accurate?, most balls per second(betwen mag and cocker and compared to the tippy) ? most reliable, simplest to clean and mantain, which is the most upgradeable, which you would take if you had the choice?

any information would be greatly appreciated
Ed
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2001, 03:33 AM #2
dager
Mega Moderator

dager is a founding member
dager supports Sherwood Forest
Re: move on?

spacer kit, ( what does this do exactly?)

** the power tube spacer kit allows you to set where the bolt stops when it is returned by the bolt spring. this allows you to set the ammount of tension and gap that the sear has on the bolt. unlike the M98 the mag sear directly engages the bolt.. so if you put a shorter spacer in there is more room for the sear to engage the bolt but your pull will be longer.. put the longer spacer the pull will be shorter but you increase the chance of the sear not catching or the bolt getting stuck on the sear

wizard valve ( what does this do better then a stock one?)

** never heard of one.. from my expeience with mags (ive owned 2 and still have one) the only atermarket valve that i have seen increase performance is the reactor valve (and that was minimal ) the theroy behind the aftermarket valve is they help with recharge rates thus decreasing shoot down. most of the shoot down problems came from the use of CO2 in the guns and have since been rectified with cheap HPA systems.

its is for 660 canadian plus tax or about 440 american. do you people consider this a good buy?

** you can find alot better deals out there.. i myself have a Z-body with lots of stuff for $400 american.. mags right now have a relatively low resale and you can find some great deals out there. if ya look

i am also considering a 2001 autococker instead of the mag, as it is about the same price after a aftermarket barrel, or a impulse whitch is a little more but still in a price range, what do you people think what is the advantages and disadvantaged or these guns?

** wow asking alot here...

mag:
advantages:
simple design
no timing
very reliable
great customer service

disadvantages:
trigger has to be learned (shortstroking)
not very good on CO2
blow back
more expensive aftermaket barrels
low resale value

tippmann w/ flatline:
advantages:
Range
Tippmann serivce
easy to maintain
extreemly reliable
good ROF
easy to upgrade gun
co2 or HPA

disadvantages:
increased gas usage (due to flatline barrel)
some loss of accuracy (flatline again)
lower resale value
large size (possible disadvantage depending on personal preference)

2001 cocker w/ new barrel:
advantges:
good ROF
great consistancy (helps with accuracy)
Numerous after market parts
easy to upgrade
Co2 or HPA (hpa will run better but can use C02)
good resale value (vert feeds more so than standard)

disadvantages:
sliding trigger can be hard to learn
timing issues
can be hard to learn how to work on gun (someone to teach you would be adefinaly advantage)
can be termpermental (goes back to timing and tuning the gun)

Impulse:
electronic trigger
CO2 or HPA
low pressure
ablity to take ACE technology (anti chop eye)
consistant

disadvantages:
not very many aftermarket parts
Not very gas efficient
fewer "local" techs to repair them (depending on region)

what changes would i see from the tippmann to these other guns?

** better consistancy from shot to shot wich in turn means better accuracy. better trigger (mosly from the imp). higher resale value over all.

which of the 3 i am considering do you think is the most accurate?
** none.. properly set up they all can shoot the same accuacy. the flatline will shoot farther but you do sacrifice some of the accuracy for that distance.

most balls per second(betwen mag and cocker and compared to the tippy) ?
*** fastest would be the imp. the cocker mag and m98 are all around the same ROF after that. trigger setup and aftermaket parts can change but im going off of stock triggers.

most reliable?
**Tippmann

simplest to clean and mantain?
**Mag

which is the most upgradeable?
**cocker by far

which you would take if you had the choice?
** im partial to the cocker but i have owned one since 95. really it comes down to preference.. try to get out there and shoot them all.. see if its worth upgrading.. somtimes what you have ends up being more suited to your style of play.

-duff

Team ESP
Old 07-22-2001, 02:12 AM #3
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

Unless you have nitro or plan on getting some, I'd suggest getting the Imp. They're great guns that are relatively well priced for what you get. Then again I'm partial to my 98LPRT that performs just as well.

Overall, you can't go wrong with the Cocker or Mag if you go that way. Both can be great guns if you control the upgrading urges you get. I used to play with a minimag and loved it because it always worked no matter what I did to it.
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Old 07-22-2001, 02:11 PM #4
EnderWigginPballin
AO Goon

All of those are great guns, like everyone else has said, but I'd go Impulse.
The Impulse is as accurrate as the others, does not need nitro, like mags somewhat do to work well. The Impulse has a greater ROF. it's got a better trigger, enabling you to shoot at faster rates,

But liek they're saying, go shoot them. I've found that the Impulse is going to be my best choice for moving up from my Model 98. I also looked at Mags, and Cockers. the ROF, and other factors made me decide that I'm going to buy an Impulse, on Friday, (yippee)
Old 07-22-2001, 09:03 PM #5
chalex impulse
I don't know where you got the idea that an impulse isn't effiecent, because you are wrong, the shocker isn't effiecint

Old 07-23-2001, 04:23 PM #6
FSU Paintball
quotedfortruth.com

FSU Paintball is a Supporting Member
Believe me, this post is coming from knowledge and experience.

Mags are VERY tempermental on CO2. I wouldn't get one unless you're running nitro. I had troubles even with a remote and expansion chamber. The mag I use now is on nitro, and it works fine, albeit a few chopped balls..

That deal ain't a great one. I got my nearly brand-new Minimag tricked with new trigger frame, foregrip, diamond lab 8-hole mod, foamie bolt, Progressive barrel, Revolution hopper, 6+1, coiled remote, and Crossfire nitro system for $375 American. Of course, that was the deal of the century.

My advice to you is to get a new Autococker. They're only $325 american at www.paintballgeeks.com and they're a lot easier to take care of than they used to be. The 2001 cockers are now just as reliable as Mags, and that's saying a lot. I've been a hardcore Mag user for most of my life, but I can tell that the Cockers are better now. Also, Cockers run pretty well on CO2, so you could keep your tank and use it if you don't have the money for nitro.
www.parts4paintball.com
Support Luke Mansberger & Strange
Old 07-25-2001, 01:39 AM #7
dager
Mega Moderator

dager is a founding member
dager supports Sherwood Forest
the shocker is horid the impulse is just inefficient.. its all relative to what your looking at.

-duff

Quote:
Originally posted by chalex impulse
I don't know where you got the idea that an impulse isn't effiecent, because you are wrong, the shocker isn't effiecint

Team ESP
Old 07-28-2001, 02:51 PM #8
Reklats

In order from (IMHO) best to worst: Impulse, cocker, mag.

You can use co2 on the impulse just as well as nitro, and a cocker will run decently on co2. Mags are just bad on co2. I believe its because they run at 800ish psi?

If money is a big issue, the impulse is the best out of the box. Cockers... you can upgrade every single part, and its all expensive. Mags...you'd just need a nitro tank with that setup.

Compared to a model 98:
cocker: shoots somwhat faster, better long range accuracy (more consistant), hypnotic back block

Impulse: shoots much faster, better long range accuracy (comes with maxflow reg), really low pressure

mag: shoots somewhat faster, better long range accuracy (more consistant), a little smaller

Btw, the impulse is just as efficient as any other gun out there. It's more efficient if you count the fact that it can suck a nitro tank down to 180psi.