Old 06-04-2005, 09:43 PM #1
paintballer331
Awaiting Email Confirmation

paintballer331 is a Supporting Member
paintballer331 plays in the PSP
paintballer331 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
paintballer331 plays in the APPA D4 division
Post Front player 101

got a back player thread, why not a front?

OFF THE BREAK
run fast, gain as much real estate as posible. your primary bunker should be either far up the field or a position that you can easily move from into another one farther down the field. make sure you cordinate with your back players lanes/positions. ie snake and snake corner. Keep in mind that on the side of the field there is one less side to get shot from, working down the middle takes alot more practice. also listen to what your backmen are saying all the time. one strategy is to work your way as far as possible down one side of the field, shooting inside and making eliminations. if possible try to get out the opposing players on your side of the players. also, put your hand up to cover up the hard parts of your mask. it really helps. i have some fairly bony hands, but add gloves and i have yet to break a ball there. keep your gun behind your body. this, added to keeping your hand up, creates as many soft spots as possible and reduces the possibility of you getting hit off the break. running and gunning is also a option, but takes practice and knowing when and where to run and gun.

*UPDATE* running and gunning
is not always as bad an idea as you may think.(or me when i originally wrote this ) having 4 or 5 guns up off can be a good thing. my team recently played a tournament and went with 5 guns up and guess what? we won every game. accurately running and gunning can be a very very very usefull skill. you want to keep your guns rolling as much as possible in about 90 percent of game situations.

sliding
supermans are probally the best way to get under the other teams lanes. it alows you to get as low and small as possible as you can, reducing the possibility of getting hit. sliding on your knees is also a option,it also alows you to get fairly small, but not as low as a superman.

BUNKERING
there are several kinds of bunkering and different times each should be used. a runthrough can be a desperate last measure to end the game or something that a team will pull when they are way up on numbers. it can also be a self sacrificing run to eliminate 2 or more other players, while your team only loses one. or a move to dig a player out of an important position, like snake or X. a wrap around or pop up on the other hand could happen at any time, particularly in the snake/zipper. wraping around is usually my choice of attack. poping up over the top of the bunker exposes you to alot more paint, whereas wraping around and staying tight exposes you to alot less paint. With any type, you gotta move fast. practice your fast twitch muscles.

When to Bunker
I am going to make this short and to the point. you bunker people when they are least expecting it. If i slide into the snake and there is someone on the other team in with me, i nail that sucker right away. some times i make my slide long enough so i can bunker him sliding in, then either go a little farther on the snake or go back to where i am depending on how the snakes made, where the other team is, ect.

GEAR
go as light as posible, light hopper, not many pods(i recomend 3-5), light gun, smaller tank ect. pants are also a must. sliding into that 50 bunker will tear up jeans or anything not made out of very strong material into pieces. pads are really your preference. some people find the pads to be constricing and they prefer to go without them. i try to get ahold of a pair of knee pads whenever i go out, cause i got some nice big scars from when i have not. the pant type is really your pereference, look around and see what best accomodates you. your probally looking for somthing very durable. i also recomend a game timer, its always good to have the time. a strong hopper is also a must. spend a little extra monies on that good paint, you gotta be able to shoot straight.

COMMUNICATION
always always always communicate with your other players. if you want to live in the bunker jungle, you need to know where people are like the monkeys need to know where the bannanas are. i learned this by finding a guy in the bunker i had just moved to. i got nailed. if i had of been listening, my teammates would have probally told me that he was there. when your back player or coach tells you to move, stop ****ing around and move.

PRE GAME
If possible, always find out what the layout is like. a bunch of bunkers here, a key bunker there, a lane there, anything and everything. plan your game out, from start to end. i am going to go here off the break, take out person x, and do this if the time runs down. make sure you are aired up and have enough paint for the game(duh). if something went wrong last game, tell your teammates what went wrong a fix it right there. if you fix it later, it might be to late, you might lose that big tournament. i find that stretching helps as well. as you grow sore later in the day, you will not be able to play as well as you could if you were not. stretching before you start that day helps relieve some of that soreness, and let you play stronger when others are begining to get sore and play slower.

TRAINING
Playing front is very demanding. you need to be able to run fast with out alot of rest. i run every morning for a mile or more before shcool, then i do crunches, leglifts, pushups, and other endurance builders. swimming is GREAT exercise, i reccomend 2-3+ k meters a day. (40-60+ laps) endurance can give you a real edge at the end of the day when other teams are begining to wear down. if you are still playing strong, you will murder them. always be thinking about what you are going to do on certain fields and how you are going to do it. The day before a day of paintball, a tourny in particular, always take it easy, dont do anything to make you sore on the day you are playing. you want to be in the best physical condition possible. practice snapshooting as often as you can, it wins games. train in the most extream conditions posible so normal playing conditions are easier to cope with.

update>SNAPPING
please know how to snap shoot. this is one of the most important skills you can aquire. you need to know how to snap in the snake, the doritos, everywhere. practice snapping from a standing and kneeling position. i subjest using doors if your inside. this just takes hours and hours of practice.

my method for snapping
balance your weight equally on both legs. lean out using mainly your abs to move out and in on the bunker. the only part of you that comes out should be above your nips, if that. tuck your elbows in dont stick em out or your screaming to get shot. tuck your head in directly behind your marker. if your head is behind your gun, there is less to get shot, if it is not directly behind, the opponent has your head and marker to hit witch is a much bigger target.

MISC.
If you are not dropping pods allready, start doing it. picking up pods after the game is over is not very hard, but putting them back into your harness during the game is.

If you are a big player but you still want to play front, dont worry about the size. i have a friend that is, well, large. size does not seem to matter with him as he usually plays a mid/ front possition, and is really good at bunkering people.

dont lose your temper. play paintball for the reason it should be played, for fun. if you can win, sweet, but dont go balistic if you dont.

if you want to play your best, DO your best.

remember to get as tight as you can and tuck in as much as posible.

update>If your on a budget but still want a uniform, get a nice pair of pants that will last (i recomend protos, just got my 06es and they are very nice) but is not too expensive, then go to walmart and get a plain longsleve t-shirt for like 5 bucks. they will function just like that 50 dollar jersey and be about 45 bucks cheaper.

if you have anything to add to this, post up here.

>>>>>>scroll down the page for part 2, this has your snake tips in it<<<<<<<<

People who have added to post (click on name)
dm5bangbang
JD-Fuel

MID101
stop askin for it

Snake
goes into more detail then i did. props

also i highly recomend reading any PSUGhost articles. they are very very usefull.

PSUGhost articles

-JON

Last edited by paintballer331 : 06-24-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: updates
paintballer331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2005, 03:54 PM #2
FollowTheLeader
FoLlOw ThE lEaDeR

stickey. well done. what about mid player 101?
Old 06-08-2005, 12:26 AM #3
dm5bangbang (Banned)

I disagree. Run thrus are done when you have the chance to do them. If the team is shooting left and you are on the right do a run thru and get them out. That is if you want to be agressive. You do need to carry pods and a fast hopper such as a Reloader or a Halo. Don't expect to use only one hopper so carry some extra pods on you. Off the break you need to stay low and wrap around a bunker to get to your primary which should be at the 50 or the 40. It should be the back players job to get you to your primary bunker, that means that you need to talk about where each other is going befor the game begins, the back players shold lane the heck out of the other team so you can move.
The front players also need to talk. If you play X-Ball then you would see that there is a big x in the middle of the field. So some of the time the mid and the back player could not see the other team, which would make it your job also to talk. I wouldn't suggest doing superman dives because you could scew up your gun. The hopper could fall off and dirt could get in to your gun. A front players should have a small and light gun, such as a Shocker, DM5 or Proto, some sort of a timmy, or a freestyle. The front players should have a low or no rise feed neck, a small tank like a 45, or a penut 70. The gun should have no drop foward( it makes your gun taller). The front player must also have light pants, no C5 crap, if you want padding get knee pads, and some elbow pads while you are at it. It doesn't matter what jersey you have, but the pod pack does matter. I preffer the NXe because of the elastic starps that shoot the pod out when you pull the tab. The front player shouldn't be afraid to get bunkerd, because it will happen, and when it does be prepared. You can not be a good front if you are scared. If you are then play mid. If you are scared of being bunkerd the you are affraid to be agressive. Shooting 20 bps does help no matter what position you play. Front players some times need to sweet spot certain key bunkers like a 50 playground or a snake. If you want some thing dont right then do it your self, don't put every thing on the back players. Some nice thing to do to practice is snap shooting drills. They help alot, another thing is learning to play the bunkers. If you want to be good at playing snake the practice it. You learn new things every time you play.
dm5bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:57 AM #4
FollowTheLeader
FoLlOw ThE lEaDeR

that was even better.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:38 PM #5
paintballer331

thank you for your imput. like i said, if you feel that anything should be added or if you feel that something i said is wrong, which dm5bangbang did quite well at, post up.

Quote:
Originally posted by dm5bangbang
I disagree. Run thrus are done when you have the chance to do them. If the team is shooting left and you are on the right do a run thru and get them out. That is if you want to be agressive. You do need to carry pods and a fast hopper such as a Reloader or a Halo. Don't expect to use only one hopper so carry some extra pods on you.
but like i said that run through will probally end up either self sacrificial or game ending. it might be a quick run through taking out several players running up the field and then getting into a bunker again, but it usually is a game ender or a self sacrificial. i dont really think a fast hopper is necesary, but thats your choice. if you want to rip 20+ bps, fine by me. i pick a halo for durability, slides can be hard on your hopper, and the halo comes with a waranty. as far as the pods go, i only carry 3-5. thats usually all thats necesary. during rec play, i usually still take 3-4 pods, but usually only shoot a hopperfull each game.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
unrelated to that/\

this is now part 2 because i ran out of time on the first post

update>the snake
a few tips-
-first and foremost, you need someone to watch your tape, you will get bunkered, alot, if you dont have a good back or mid on your tape. someone can even look across from the center front or mid position and he should be able to shoot anyone trying to bunker you
-when you slide in, make sure that your legs do not fly up, keep them on the ground as much as possible (i have this habit, its hard to break)
-make sure that when you crawl, use your arms and legs, not one or the other. and again i have the habit of just using the arms, which makes my legs go all over.
-play as much as possible on your knees and elbow, it gives you a quick snap going over the beams
-when you are in the first knuckles of the snake, you will be able to play a little sloppy and maybe get up over the beam. when you get near the 50 and past it, it is an absolute must that you play on your knees and elbows and be able to snap upwards over the beam. i can post a video with an example of this later, as well as my sloppy crawling.
-if someone else gets into the snake, bunker him right away. dont even think twice about it. even if you do get shot (you probally will) you saved the rest of your team. on most fields, the snake dominates, take their player out of the game, and trust in the rest of your 4 or 6 brothers on the field to get the job done. one of them can probally fill the snake, and you will be right back to where you were when you were in. best case scenario, you dont get shot, and now your deep in enemy territory. they will probally try to bunker you out, so get at least one more kill as fast as possible. 2 kills for one guy is a good trade
-stealth is very very important. if you are parrallell to some one and he doesnt know your there, he will still be shooting downfield.
-first shot accuracy goes with stealth. when you walk the field, know exactly where to pop up and get the shot you need with out giving them enough time to tuck in and play tighter or the other side of the bunker, by which time they have told everyone on the field your new position. so know where each shot is from each knuckle.

Last edited by paintballer331 : 04-12-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:50 PM #6
ip8ntedurmom (Banned)

Quote:
Originally posted by FollowTheLeader
what about mid player 101?
ip8ntedurmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:18 PM #7
paintballer331

mid players are basically people that play between the front guys and the back guys, they provide supressing fire for the front guys. and example of a mid player would be a guy on the head of the snake suporting the guy up farther in the snake. if the other guy in the snake is eliminated, the mid player usually becomes and front guy. if he is playing a 25 or 30 bunker and all the back men become eliminated, he becomes a back man. a mid player is basically someone who shifts from a mid position to a front or a back position depending on where he is needed. if you want to play mid, read the front 101 and the back 101, cause you need to know how to play both. happy now?
Old 06-12-2005, 03:20 PM #8
NoMercyM82
Sp33d is the Key

I think of mid players basically as a replacement to whoever gets eiliminated. Right when a front or back is eliminated, take over their duties and kick as much *** as you can. The mid player has a gun that can piss some paint but is fairly light. He also has to be pretty fast because he would take over for the front man at some time.
New Designz Rolling Blade Trigger
Hybrid Technologies Contract Killer Grip
Redz Clamping Feed Neck

Last edited by amhildreth : 06-19-2005 at 02:27 AM.
NoMercyM82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:16 PM #9
bushyman06
im one bushy man

bushyman06 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
^^^^agreed. mostly because i play mid usually.

Last edited by bushyman06 : 03-08-2009 at 07:42 AM.
bushyman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:31 PM #10
Stawlker

Stawlker is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by FollowTheLeader
stickey. well done. what about mid player 101?
Sticky #2
Stawlker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:54 PM #11
paintballer331

alrighty then, theres ur mid player 101.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:48 PM #12
NoMercyM82
Sp33d is the Key

Well do you agree?
Redz Clamping Feed Neck
Old 06-19-2005, 05:15 PM #13
paintballer331

yes
Old 06-20-2005, 01:29 PM #14
NoMercyM82
Sp33d is the Key

Haha alright. Just seemed like you were sarcastic for a minute.
Redz Clamping Feed Neck
Old 06-21-2005, 07:27 PM #15
spyvspyder
Proto CrAzY

has been a member for 10 years
newbie forum > psu ghosts articles

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=289942

he already made these, and they are better!
spyvspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:59 PM #16
iluvumorethnuluvme

wow this is really good stuff guys... way to go mad props to u
iluvumorethnuluvme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:02 PM #17
pizzadago

that pretty much covers the front man thing. god job
Old 06-28-2005, 11:35 AM #18
paintballer331

def read the psu ghost ****. thats some pretty good stuff
Old 06-28-2005, 11:59 AM #19
JD-Fuel
Now Pod Pirate!

If your a front you need to know how to switch lanes on someone. If your getting laned while going to the fifty by someone right at the break point or someone also running to the fifty this is what you do. Example:

You move over and lane him so he cant lane you. So heres your running path.

That should give you an idea of what to do its pretty simple. And if your backs laning for you when you flip out you should have to worry about getting hit, because you will be open for a small ammount of time and should be as low as you can be while running and gunning then slide into your bunker. If you see paint comming your way dont try and lane him just get to your bunker and just shoot who ever you can. No matter were you are on the field you HAVE to know the angles you can get from your bunker. Especially the angles you get if you have to shoot if your shooting right out of your bunker then you wrap around the bunker on the right side just enough to shoot left. Its quicker and it leaves you open for a short ammount of time. Watch dynasty, they do this alot, this or in a smaller bunker coming up the top very quickly then going back to were you were. Also when you hear paint hitting your bunker dont be afraid to snap out, their shooting your BUNKER not you, this is a good time to snap shoot them once, then pop out and lay a rope down on them if you feel that it would get it done more quickly then snap shooting. Always watch to see if there is paint going by the side of your bunker, thats when you dont peek out. Also remember that you get wider angles the farther you are from your bunker, this means a wider view of the field, but also means your flank is more open, so be careful. I think thats all I have to add.

Last edited by JD-Fuel : 06-28-2005 at 12:09 PM.
JD-Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:18 PM #20
Born2Drive2 (Banned)

I'll sum it up.

If your a front, run like **** to your bunker, dive into it, get your gun up, listen to your back players and send those ****ers to the deadbox with a group discount.
Born2Drive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:04 AM #21
paintballer331

also keep in mind that your life expectancy on the 50 is pretty short. make it count as much as possible. when you are on the snake you need to have a back guy make sure you are not bunkered and telling you where the other team is. no matter were you play, you need to have good situational awareness. that means knowing how much time is left, how many people are left on the field, and where they are.

also remember to keep moving. they cannot bunker you if they cannot get a fix on your position.

Last edited by paintballer331 : 07-08-2005 at 11:06 AM.