Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-19-2001, 05:51 PM #1
isellstuff
Wigga

isellstuff is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
I need a MaxFlow Guru!!! HELP

I think my maxflow is leaking slowly. I get it filled and i think it looses a few hundred psi in a few hour. Id like to know what I can use to find leaks, I think the on/off may not be closing all the way, how can i be sure, thanx.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2001, 06:32 PM #2
acid Burn
USMC

acid Burn is a founding member
does the tank stop leaking after a few hours? if so then that is normal. when the tank is filled it becomes heated, then when the air in the tank cools down the pressure drops a few hundred psi
Old 07-20-2001, 06:37 PM #3
isellstuff
Wigga

oh, I didnt know that, What im gonna do is fill it, close the on/off hella hard and see if the on/off is sealing all the way. Im gonna take my macro line off and then spray some water on the fitting, im not quite sure, any idea there?
Old 07-20-2001, 08:53 PM #4
-cy-
Insanity is good company

I am having a problem, so i thought it might not be a bad idea to post it under this thread, it might attract knowledgeable people. Alright, my on/off isn't really working, i am guessing that its my o-ring, but is there anywhere that shows me a diagram of it all (i don't have manual or anything). I know how to take out the normal parts for maintnance, but how do i mess with on on/off?
Old 07-20-2001, 11:41 PM #5
IanR
Shoot.Kill.Win.

smartparts.com has a few diagrams i think

check it out

Slowly getting back into paintball...
Old 07-22-2001, 03:46 AM #6
Terry2562

Hey isellstuff

What year is the max-flow?? My 98 and 99 3000psi rigs leaked at the on/off.... SP acknowleded they had some defective parts... I doubt if they're gonna still offer to replace the older ones, but ,maybe... Terry
Old 07-22-2001, 03:56 AM #7
-cy-
Insanity is good company

Not sure what year. Its a 68/4500, newer style reg and all. I hear about an o-ring in the on/off that can be messed up, and does a lot. I just wanna know about that.
Old 07-22-2001, 04:02 AM #8
Terry2562

-cy-

not sure about the new rigs... Check out SP's website and/or call them.... They seem to care when you get their attention....
Old 07-22-2001, 02:42 PM #9
isellstuff
Wigga

well the hydro date printed on the tank is 09-99
Old 07-22-2001, 03:40 PM #10
Terry2562

isellstuff

yep those are the ones! SP replaced the on/off for free back in 99.... I don't know what they'll tell you now though.... Plus you may want to follow the other suggestions first just to be sure it's actually leaking... SP said not all of the tanks had problems when we talked to them.... but mine sure did.... Terry
Old 07-22-2001, 03:44 PM #11
isellstuff
Wigga

any sugjestions on how to test if the on/off isnt closing all the way...
Old 07-22-2001, 03:57 PM #12
Terry2562

isellstuff

Sure... turn it on... take note of the pressure... turn it off and degass the line.... wait overnight (or so)... check to see if the line has gas in it.... if it does it leaked around the on/off.... if not turn it back on and take note of the pressure.... it should be close to where it was... if not this would indicate that the on/off leaked, plus there was a leak in the delivery lines/connections too... Terry

Oh, I guess that's assuming you have something like a proconnect on the line... If not then hook the quick connect to something to block the line or on your marker... Those probably aren't as good of choices as the proconnect because there are more chances for leaks...

Last edited by Terry2562 : 07-22-2001 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2001, 04:34 PM #13
isellstuff
Wigga

wow, I use macro, I dont know what ur talking about. So just gas it, record pressure, turn off, then wait. Im confused about ur next step, if you could simplify please.
Old 07-22-2001, 05:32 PM #14
FSU Paintball
quotedfortruth.com

FSU Paintball is a Supporting Member
Isellstuff, I think I know what's wrong, if you're tank isn't defective.

ANY nitro tank will lose a few hundred PSI over the first few hours; the air in the tank is cooling down, so the PSI drops. It's normal.
www.parts4paintball.com
Support Luke Mansberger & Strange
Old 07-22-2001, 05:38 PM #15
isellstuff
Wigga

ya, i learned that a few days ago. I didnt have a chance to get my tank filled yesterday cause there was a new lady at the scuba shop and she was being a *****...
Old 07-22-2001, 06:21 PM #16
Terry2562

isellstuff

yeah sorry about that... I have a remote and use a proconnect which stops the gas flow out of the line when it's diconnected from the gun... so I was describing how I remember determining it was the on/off... One of my tanks would not turn off all the way when I left gas in the remote line...when I dumped the line I could get it to stop... The other would leak back into the line overnight no matter how hard I tried to get it to turn off...

SSooo I'd say if the macro isn't under pressure after you turn off the valve... you can say it's the on/off if the tank pressure drops overnight.... Terry
Old 07-22-2001, 06:23 PM #17
isellstuff
Wigga

ok
Old 07-23-2001, 12:38 AM #18
-cy-
Insanity is good company

I KNOW mine is leaking...a LOT. I think i chopped the o-ring, b/c now the on/off is really hard to turn. I can't find a diagram or instructions on how to do it, along with the o-ring size i need. The thing i am most interested in finding out is the o-ring size, i can probably figure out how to get to the on/off and all.
Old 07-23-2001, 01:31 AM #19
Terry2562

-cy-

Well I found a complete diagram of the on/off lever on page 7 of the Max-flow manual downloaded from the Smart Parts website under Product Info. It shows the disassembly of the lever as fairly simple, but says only use SP Viton seals. It has 3 of them. A bottle seal, a plug seal and a seating seal. Hard to say which one it is.... I recommend calling them to discuss proper diagnostics, disassembly and ordering the replacement parts.... Good luck.... Terry
Old 07-23-2001, 03:06 PM #20
1Hailstorm
Proud American

OK

Alright, new and old ones have a oring inside to rip. Now. Most Smart Part Techs will have the oring. Its very simple to get to replace. Ok, Empty you tank. there is a allen screw in the main body inline with the shaft of the on/off. take it out, then slide out your shaft. You will see a oring on the shaft. If its not all torn up. then regrease it and put it back in. put your screw in and there you go. If it is torn up, just replace it and put it back together. Just make sure your tank is empty. otherwise you will have a rocket. Also you reg may leak if it needs grease also. so it may need rebluiding. But check everything over with some soapy water to insure where your leak is.
Old 07-23-2001, 03:30 PM #21
Terry2562

1hailstorm

umm... my older versions have the on/off on the tank valve... the new ones have the on/off on the reg manifold....Terry