Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-17-2001, 11:17 PM #1
ArMyOfOnE
New England Unleashed

has been a member for 10 years
Wats The Use Of The Lengths Of Barrels?

hey all,

Sorri, but im kinda a semi-newbie in pball. I've played about 3 times only. Ppl keep talking about 14", 12", 16", etc. But wats the use?

PLease tell me how the lengths affect the performance of the shot. The range or something? Also, wat do you prefer?

big thanks to all!!

Proudly representing
Paintball Wizard
.... and the 'Ballers of New England.

My Trader Feedback (before the new PBnation feedback system)
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2001, 02:48 AM #2
joker
Rene Magritte

joker is a founding member
in my oppion,longer berrels are more accurate.

Last edited by joker : 07-18-2001 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:55 AM #3
Dr. Feelgood
The Dr.'s in.

That is not true! Longer barrels do not have better accuracy. The only use is to help you point easier. Or if you have a low pressure gun, you need a little longer of a barrel so the ball can get to full speed.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:04 AM #4
Spyder SKS
Anti-M&M Forces Commander

its all preferance. Longer barrels are generally quieter becuase they have more porting.

RIPPER COCKER FOR SALE. JUST $325
Old 07-18-2001, 03:06 AM #5
srvclapton
Got a lite?

A longer barrel won't give you more accuracy, and in all likelyhood will give your gun less range. Most paintballs only accelerate for about 8"...the rest of the barrel is just to point the ball in the right direction. That doesnt take an extra 8 or 10 inches...12" should be fine for a barrel...14" might be a tad bit more accurate, but normally not enough to make a difference. Also, the longer a barrel is, the longer the paintball stays inside, meaning the longer a ball has to decide whether it wants to break or not. Do yourself a favor, but a 12 or 14" and don't worry about it

Shocktech 2k1 CF cocker
-Dark Blue -> Light Blue -> Silver fade
-Gladiator reg
-68ci/4.5K Conquest
-Freak with SS back and Blue tip

Crappy pics of just the gun are up at www.thesohoweb.com/cocker/picture1.jpg through picture6.jpg (I'll take better ones when I have time)
Old 07-18-2001, 09:38 AM #6
kryst
Wicked Grin

Quote:
A longer barrel won't give you more accuracy, and in all likelyhood will give your gun less range.
sorry but two guns shooting the same fps no matter the barrel will be able to achive the same distance.. physics is physics

from what a few of the All-Americans have told me when i was purchasing a freak is that you don't gain any distance. the only thing that changes is the tradjectory (sp?) of the ball. the longer the barrel the flatter the shot you will get. (not by much) the difference in sound comes from the porting and barrel design.. it's not really affected by the length. barrels are mainly a preferance. i use a 16" and a 14" freak i don't really notice that much of a difference in performance.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited while imagination embraces the world"
shocker turbo
redsplash
powerfeed+ air assist
double trigger
9vt conversion on/off with led
SP drop forward
freak ss back 16" red front + 14" blue front
turbo impy
twister feed tube
freak set+18" boomy
blade trigger
eclipse vert reg
99 cocker semi tricked
vm 68
splat master

www.wickedgrin.8k.com
Old 07-18-2001, 10:41 AM #7
XspyX
Team Backdraft

People like longer barrels because the have more barrel to sight down.

People like 12" barrels because its a good size to sight down where still haveing some barrel to sight down.

Who cares about physics, its opinion.
Old 07-18-2001, 01:58 PM #8
ian_emerson
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally posted by kryst

sorry but two guns shooting the same fps no matter the barrel will be able to achive the same distance.. physics is physics

from what a few of the All-Americans have told me when i was purchasing a freak is that you don't gain any distance. the only thing that changes is the tradjectory (sp?) of the ball. the longer the barrel the flatter the shot you will get. (not by much) the difference in sound comes from the porting and barrel design.. it's not really affected by the length. barrels are mainly a preferance. i use a 16" and a 14" freak i don't really notice that much of a difference in performance.
If you are using different size paint it will effect range(The bigger the ball the faster it will slow down in mid-air). The 12" boomer and the 16" boomer have the same porting and barrel design, but the 16" boomer is much quieter because it has more porting.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:03 PM #9
joker
Rene Magritte

joker is a founding member
well on my cocker i have used longer barrels and shorter barrels and in my opinion longer barrels are more accurate

Quote:
The only use is to help you point easier.
yes and that would help you shoot more accurately.

Last edited by joker : 07-18-2001 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:03 PM #10
XspyX
Team Backdraft

Thats all been said. Now I have a question:

Will a .679 sized paintball fly farther than a .693 paintball?

Hmmm...
Old 07-18-2001, 03:15 PM #11
ian_emerson
Hail to the King

If both are shooting 280fps at the end barrel. Yes, because the bigger ball will have more wind/air resistance when in flight. It may only be a couple of feet, but it will go farther.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:21 PM #12
kryst
Wicked Grin

now you really want to play with physics

swe need a physics major on this one.. but all this i am about to say becomes so trivial it makes so little of a difference it doesn't really matter.. BUT
factors..
mass.. which weighs more heavier are less prone to wind resistance

shape.. ever wonder why a golf ball is dimpled? why old baseballs will fly further? ubscurityes on the surface create an air pocket wich lets it fly farther (in laymans terms)

ok there is a host of others i could mention but i really don't feel like it.. because these factors apply so little to the outcome of the flight of a ball.. you want distance get a flatline otherwise you will very very minamally out distance someone if at all (assuming same chrono speed) you want a barrel.. get one to match your paint.. after it matches you are on all preference.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited while imagination embraces the world"
shocker turbo
redsplash
powerfeed+ air assist
double trigger
SP drop forward
turbo impy
twister feed tube
freak set+18" boomy
blade trigger
eclipse vert reg
99 cocker semi tricked
vm 68
splat master

www.wickedgrin.8k.com
Old 07-18-2001, 03:30 PM #13
ian_emerson
Hail to the King

All paintballs are different sizes and some have a different amount of fill(the littlest difference) so no paintball is the same. There for no gun can shoot the same distance. Regulaters are a factor too.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:36 PM #14
Fishsticks
He who dares, Wins

Fishsticks is a founding member
Fishsticks donated to help Peyton Trent
Fishsticks supports Bob Gurnsey
Fishsticks supports our troops
Quote:

*ahem* flatline *ahem*

Anyways army, the barrel you get is purely your preference, if your a front player, get a 10" since you need more space to move around, if your a back player, get whatever you want
Old 07-18-2001, 03:49 PM #15
kryst
Wicked Grin

banana shaped barrels don't count

well everyone is aware that the flatline is the exception.. and i am sending out the STO to get a flatline put on it..

shocker turbo
redsplash
powerfeed+ air assist
double trigger
SP drop forward
turbo impy
twister feed tube
freak set+18" boomy
blade trigger
eclipse vert reg
99 cocker semi tricked
vm 68
splat master

www.wickedgrin.8k.com
Old 07-18-2001, 03:56 PM #16
ian_emerson
Hail to the King

Man your going to hate your self for wasting your money. They are very inaccurate(had one on the tippmann) And if you are pretty far away from the target the balls bounce a lot. If you yse brittle paint you won't any more unless you like barrel brakes.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:58 PM #17
BluFyre7

Quote:

Actually he's right, it will decrease your range. If you have a 10" barrel on your gun and switch it for a 16", you're going to get less range. The drag created by the extra 6" will slow the ball down and therefore decrease range. Yes, if they are shooting the same fps the ball will go the same distance, but you're going to have to turn the velocity up to get the 16" shooting the same fps.
Old 07-18-2001, 04:06 PM #18
kryst
Wicked Grin

Quote:
Actually he's right, it will decrease your range. If you have a 10" barrel on your gun and switch it for a 16", you're going to get less range. The drag created by the extra 6" will slow the ball down and therefore decrease range. Yes, if they are shooting the same fps the ball will go the same distance, but you're going to have to turn the velocity up to get the 16" shooting the same fps.
ok i don't want to sound offensive.. but you just paraphrased what i said.. if you shoot a 10"barrel at 280 it will go as far as a 24" barrel at 280.. yes you will have to up the pressure but both balls comming out at 280 with go *theroretically* the same distance. now your getting into air effiancy not distance. i completly agree with the extra drag in the extra length but that still doesn't effect the velocity and distance after the ball leaves the gun.. which is what i thought we were disscussing..?

shocker turbo
redsplash
powerfeed+ air assist
double trigger
SP drop forward
turbo impy
twister feed tube
freak set+18" boomy
blade trigger
eclipse vert reg
99 cocker semi tricked
vm 68
splat master

www.wickedgrin.8k.com
Old 07-18-2001, 04:17 PM #19
ian_emerson
Hail to the King

The fact is that there is too many factors affecting the ball(size and weight), velocity(the regulater), gas(co2 is unstable, n2 is not) the barrel being aluminum or not(aluminum shrinks in cold weather), the barrel honing, porting , etc. etc.
Old 07-18-2001, 04:21 PM #20
ian_emerson
Hail to the King

All these factors effect accuracy and range. If the gun is not accurate it will not reach the same range every time.

Last edited by ian_emerson : 07-18-2001 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2001, 04:24 PM #21
kryst
Wicked Grin

I have an idea

let agree on somthing cause i'm gettting tired of debating.. with the exception of the flatline.. a barrel is a barrel it's personal preferance which you choose.. paint barrel match is fairly important.. short of that you pick what barrle you like.. and play with it..

shocker turbo
redsplash
powerfeed+ air assist
double trigger
SP drop forward
turbo impy
twister feed tube
freak set+18" boomy
blade trigger
eclipse vert reg