PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-24-2001, 07:35 PM #1
X_Team

has been a member for 10 years
is the excaliber like an angel? just wondering because ive never seen one in action thanks- Gary
Lapco Drop Forward
Lapco Bigshot
Aci 6 Stage X-chamber
Looking To be a Mod in ANY Forum Preferably Pump Forum
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2001, 12:03 AM #2
Deceit
What?

Deceit is a Supporting Member
Arrow about the excalibur

goto www.gatorjoes.com

scroll down to team wiseguys icon
click through
in the movies section there should be something about
excalibur
Old 02-25-2001, 01:16 AM #3
JRM
WEAR IT!

Annual Supporting Member
JRM is a Supporting Member
JRM is a founding member
JRM is a Professional paintball player
JRM plays in the PSP
JRM plays in the APPA Pro division
JRM supports Empire
Well... it's electronically controled and body is similarly shaped (both three tubes, two bottom and one top). It basically ends there. Angel has one solenoid because it's open bolt, Excalibur has two because it is closed. Angel's operating pressure is over double of an excalibur, but unlike most guns as low pressure as the excalibur, it has very good efficiency. Angel has angel barrel threads, excalibur has cocker threads, so far the angel is much more customizable but that should stop soon. I think the sidewinder is slightly better reg, but it's longer. That's about it, go to www.akalmp.com - hope I helped.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-25-2001, 10:35 AM #4
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is a Mega Moderator
Auctionjunkie! is a Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is BST Legit
Auctionjunkie! is a Paintball photographer
Auctionjunkie! is playing at Living Legends VII
Cool

You guys pretty well covered it. One exception is that the Sidewinder has a changeable top piece. That way it comes in 3 lengths. I use the shortest length on my VLM mini. It leaves lots of room for adjustment and doesn't make the gun look boxy.
One major difference is that the Excalibur is closed bolt. It's very efficient at about 2 psi per ball on a 88 ci 4500. The trajectory of the balls out of the Excalibur is much flatter. This is running about 180 psi at 285 fps.

Dan
Manager, Team Wiseguys
Old 02-25-2001, 01:08 PM #5
X_Team

thanks guys u really helped me out on that one in your opinion which is better angel or excaliber?
Lapco Drop Forward
Lapco Bigshot
Aci 6 Stage X-chamber
Old 02-25-2001, 09:13 PM #6
munky
damn that's hot

who cares about a lil longer reg if it gets that good of consitency (i'm reffering to the video of the chrony readings)
Old 02-26-2001, 07:20 AM #7
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by X_Team
thanks guys u really helped me out on that one in your opinion which is better angel or excaliber?
I have to say the Excalibur. It's more accurate and consistant. The ROF is the same and in the future there will be a ball drop sensor available. There is a computer interface coming soon that will let you set dwell times and other settings.

Dan
Manager, Team Wiseguys
Old 02-26-2001, 07:23 AM #8
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by munky
who cares about a lil longer reg if it gets that good of consitency (i'm reffering to the video of the chrony readings)
What AKA did was give you the option of the the length you want. I don't use a reg as a foregrip so it can be shorter. People who do use it will like the longer one. Cool thing is that it really is that consistant. Any flucuations are solely the paint.

Dan
Manager, Team Wiseguys
Old 02-27-2001, 09:06 PM #9
X_Team

thanks looks like im saving for an excaliber i just got a part time job and im calling about another tommorro so its all cool thanks all seeya-Gary
Lapco Drop Forward
Lapco Bigshot
Aci 6 Stage X-chamber
Old 05-20-2001, 03:14 PM #10
Paintballinfoo20001
I Love Cockers

Excalibur is WAY better then an angel, AIM me if you want to hear all my reasons
Old 05-20-2001, 04:49 PM #11
Shorty

How's the trigger compare? When the ball drop sensor become available, will it be installable on current excals? Can the hard-coated black excals be remilled?

thanks
Old 05-20-2001, 05:25 PM #12
Sparrow

It's my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) they use the harder (type III) anodizing on the black guns that can't be re-anodized very well, so I am sure you could mill them (tough on theend mills) but you may not be able to re-anodize them.

The great think about AKA is that they will sell direct an un-milled, un-anodized body and you can do the rest. They are very good about this, because you will have to send the gun back to them for re-assembly after you are done. This is great customer service, because I don't know of anyone else that would do this for you. They currently have a few un-milled and un-anodized bodies in stock. I just got one and did it, that is why I know. I am the one that posted the milling pics on the pic thread. I hope to have it back to me in about two weeks or so. I am not sure I can wait!

jt
Old 05-25-2001, 06:06 PM #13
Shorty

How much does a raw body cost?
Old 05-29-2001, 11:41 AM #14
TheFauxKing
EVIL OVERLORD

TheFauxKing is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Auctionjunkie!
... the Excalibur. It's more accurate and consistant. The ROF is the same and ...
[COUGH!] Excuse me?!?!?! The ROF is fixed at 10.5 on an Excaliber (whereas the Angel can be run up to 12bps, although most people cannot shoot beyong 12~13bps and most any hopper outside of the proptotype for the Halo, cannot feed beyond 15bps), the "consistant" statement might have a grain of truth to it, and the "more accurate" comment is severely nonsensical and downright untrue.

Are you REALLY trying to tell me that any two guns with the SAME barrel, using paint from the same case, and being set at the same velocity are going to shoot any more accurately than another? I assume that you being a "manager" of a team might imply that you are A) not a kid, and B) a little more well-read and well informed than that...

* There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
AVISO: No coloca en la boca ni recto
The Evil Overlord and Evil Enterprises, Incorporated do not condone the abuse of homosexuals, the elderly or of children. We donít really care about baby seals, though. The opinions expressed by the Evil Overlord are not necessarily those of PbNation.com and/or their sponsors. (Non-Member Non-grata: Gay Nazis for Christ)
Old 05-29-2001, 09:36 PM #15
mrobnoxious
Awaiting Email Confirmation

actually, the gun that can maintain the most consistent velocity will be the most accurate, and I believe the Excalibur will be the most consistent out of the box.
Excalibur #21
Old 05-29-2001, 10:40 PM #16
Gh0sT

Gh0sT is a founding member
accuracy is in the paint/barrel match, balance and consistency of the marker. although it isnt by much, the excaliber should have the angel beat in the accuracy department.
for most people, speed from what ive seen will go to the angel

as for efficiency, how do they compare? ive never emptied a tank for either of them.
Old 05-30-2001, 08:22 AM #17
TheFauxKing
EVIL OVERLORD

Well, I do hate to sound argumentative, but so far as spped is concerned, it is physically impossible for the Excaliber to keep up. The MROF on this gun is fixed at 10.5bps. I know, for a fact -- a scientific fact, no less -- that one of my teammates can easily keep his trigger rocking at over 12bps, and has clearly exceeded that on numerous occassions is very short bursts (all without feathering the trigger, dudes......)

I would be interested, though, in seeing the numbers comparing this year's LCD to the Excaliber in the consistency dept.

* There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
The Evil Overlord and Evil Enterprises, Incorporated do not condone the abuse of homosexuals, the elderly or of children. We donít really care about baby seals, though. The opinions expressed by the Evil Overlord are not necessarily those of PbNation.com and/or their sponsors. (Non-Member Non-grata: Gay Nazis for Christ)
Old 05-30-2001, 09:29 AM #18
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
FK,
Here's where the choice of terms come into play. The Excalibur is set at 10.5 bps from the factory. It is not locked nor fixed at 10.5. It can be changed with the data cable. Since the data cable is on back order from the supplier some people see the MROF as locked or fixed.

As far as air usage we've done a lot of testing with our guns even to the point of shooting 1,350 balls pretty much non-stop. (Yes, I have it on video!) We were testing the new solenoids for air flow and consistancy. We ran a tank down to pretty much nothing and it was still shooting. In monitoring the air usage over the last 3 tournaments as well as the multiple practices and rec games we come up with 1.25 to 1.5 psi per ball on a 88 ci tank shooting 285 fps. The psi usage is more on a 68 ci and less on a 114 ci due to available volume.

You are correct in your assumption that I'm not young. I'll be 41 years old in a few days and have been playing paintball since 1985. I currently manage an Amateur team and a Novice team. I'm AKA certified and qualified on the Excalibur and the Merlin. I co-manage a paintball store and I've been an electronics technician for over 20 years.

The accuracy factor is more than just paint vs barrel vs velocity. Other factors are imparted inertia, kinetic energy, efficiency and another little thing called kick. In both the firearms and paintball world second shot accuracy is a consideration of kick. The Excalibur has very little kick. As a matter of fact the lower you drop the LPR the less kick there is.

One other factor that hasn't been brought up is how is BPS actually measured? The Angel estimates and rounds up. It counts trigger switch pulses including bounces. The Excalibur is calculated by cycle times. The Excalibur measurement is far more accurate. One highly favorable feature of the Excalibur is with the short recovery time of the trigger switch it's very easy to attain and maintain the 10.5 bps. The Excalibur can outshoot a 12 volt hopper at 10.5 bps.

I hope this answered your questions and concerns. My information is garnered from years of playing, my technical knowledge and background, actually playing with the Excalibur, actually having 7 of them on my team that are used in tournaments, practice and rec play as well as my insatiable thirst for knowledge.

Dan
Old 05-30-2001, 10:00 AM #19
TheFauxKing
EVIL OVERLORD

Thanks for the detailed response. Also, I meant 20bps on the Angel, not 12. Anyhoo... it's nice to see that there is someone that is interested in discussing the dynamics of accuracy beyond the point of "barrel/paint match." I normally leave it to that for the sake of argument, but I absolutely agree the kick plays a major role in a gun's accuracy when measuring a sustained stream of paint. That's why I own a Matrix... but I am about a gnats fanny from getting my money back and giving the Excal a try, but now I'm hearing some of the growing pains that AKALMP is having as well...

Old 05-30-2001, 02:21 PM #20
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
Not a problem. I usually don't get too deep into topics in most message forums. I end up repeating myself 100 times and 99% of the people don't understand the physics. They also don't want to admit their gun isn't as good as another one.

When people actually pit one gun against another in side by side comparison a lot of the results are still personal opinion. How I hold a gun defines how it shoots as does standing vs kneeling. It's all personal preference. That's why my recommendation is for people to actually shoot and play with a gun before they buy it.

Dan
Old 05-30-2001, 08:32 PM #21
mezpo

not that its that big of a deal but arent lcd's capped at 18 bps making 20bps impossible?