Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-24-2014, 12:27 AM #22
igotbanned-ibra5
I ball

igotbanned-ibra5 plays in the PSP
igotbanned-ibra5 posts videos on PbNation
igotbanned-ibra5 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I don't see the reasoning behind this. It simply doesn't make sense to me at all. PSP, are you mad with photographers because someone threatened to sue you over a photo you used without permission a few years back? That is the only reasonable thing that I can think of really. And still it would be really idiotic if that is the cause. (not that is not already idiotic).

An explanation will be greatly appreciated, and please don't use the "photographers crow the field" excuse because we all know that is complete bs.
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 AM #23
outkast kid

has been a member for 10 years
outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
It's now officially cheaper to play an event than to photograph it
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:35 AM #24
Shmegan
I'm John Egan

Shmegan is a Paintball photographer
This was a horrible move for PSP, Just because someone can pay $1200 doesn't mean they are good. Really not fair to the guys not connected
Shmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 AM #25
ArchAngelIon
I run a field now

ArchAngelIon plays in the PSP
ArchAngelIon helped look for balloons
ArchAngelIon posts videos on PbNation
ArchAngelIon is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Ugghhh.

I guess the PSP needs to pay the bills somehow. A webcast ain't cheep.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:50 AM #26
cbennett5664

cbennett5664 is a Paintball photographer
cbennett5664 supports Team VICIOUS
Bad move by PSP it pretty much puts all small time photographers (like me) completely out of the game
Thanks a lot PSP
Old 01-24-2014, 01:06 AM #27
eforce
Factory PB

eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeagle21 View Post
Greed! It's a wonderful thing (yes, that's sarcasm)! Dick move
**** dude... you found out about Lane's summer chateau in France?
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:14 AM #28
VPB-ChristianW
Virtue Paintball

VPB-ChristianW works for a Paintball manufacturer
VPB-ChristianW donated to help Peyton Trent
While I'm inclined to think the ideal would be to just limit the number of photogs on a particular field and not let more than the max after the game starts (assuming crowd control is the issue) , I don't think greed would be the motivation here but an attempt to create a functioning market where none really exists. I suppose the hope is quality will increase and teams will place more value on hired media.

If the concern was purely greed the PSP would sell $25 photopasses on site at each field and just cap the sideline photogs to say 30 on each side. Of course if you wanted to have a snake side access you'd pay an extra 10.

No I don't think monetizing and maximizing the media revenue is the goal, but seeking to have more influence and (better) media quality in general is what they're after. Consider PBA. Tons of money, exclusivity, lots of dedication and commitment because of the money involvedand exclusivity and they have a professional product. Maybe the goal is to ensure that only the best(or at least most dedicated as starving artists are sometimes the best) are involved to ensure consistent quality and professionalism?

For photographers who love to be on the field, it would seem the solution is to hook up with media or a sponsor.

facebook.com/virtuepb.us
VPB-ChristianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:59 AM #29
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

Hobbes The Tiger is a Moderator
Hobbes The Tiger is a Paintball photographer
Hobbes The Tiger has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by VPB-ChristianW View Post
While I'm inclined to think the ideal would be to just limit the number of photogs on a particular field and not let more than the max after the game starts (assuming crowd control is the issue) , I don't think greed would be the motivation here but an attempt to create a functioning market where none really exists. I suppose the hope is quality will increase and teams will place more value on hired media.

If the concern was purely greed the PSP would sell $25 photopasses on site at each field and just cap the sideline photogs to say 30 on each side. Of course if you wanted to have a snake side access you'd pay an extra 10.

No I don't think monetizing and maximizing the media revenue is the goal, but seeking to have more influence and (better) media quality in general is what they're after. Consider PBA. Tons of money, exclusivity, lots of dedication and commitment because of the money involvedand exclusivity and they have a professional product. Maybe the goal is to ensure that only the best(or at least most dedicated as starving artists are sometimes the best) are involved to ensure consistent quality and professionalism?

For photographers who love to be on the field, it would seem the solution is to hook up with media or a sponsor.
One of the problems I have is that they're trying to create a market where it's extremely uncommon and unheard of. Paintball is the only sport that I know of that charges photographers to be on the field.

According to the release:
Quote:
Limiting the number of photographers around the field will give you more room to work with, help you generate more revenue due to less competition, and promote a more professional atmosphere, among other advantages.
From my view, this tells me that the PSP has a very skewed view of how much money photographers are making and charging teams. It's also a very, very vicious cycle because when we demand that we be paid for our work, we're *******s. But when we bring up how much we're not making, we're lazy and don't have initiative. Everyone is different, but I'd like to say that the prices from quality photographers is a really good middle ground. It's affordable enough for teams and also helps cover expenses if you book 4-5 teams. If you come to one of these events as a photog to hire, you're prices are going to skyrocket or you're going to have to book close to 20 teams just to help cover the costs if you want to keep your pricing the same. You're getting bent over any way you look at it. I have a deep appreciation for the teams that are always eager to book photographers and will encourage other people to do so, but I won't blame them in the slightest for turning down someone because their prices are $400+, because they have to recoup the money they're paying to be there.

Getting with a sponsor/manufacturer is basically going to be the only option, but I disagree that it's going to increase quality, aside from a handful of guys that I know will be taken care of because they're who they are. From my understanding you're not going to be able to sell your photos and that's reasonable if you're shooting for a manufacturer, assuming those photos will be used for ads. Here's the problem: most manufacturers/sponsors don't want to pay money or pay what a good photographer should be able to command. I got offered paintball gear because that's what another photographer takes as payment. That's ridiculous. What I think will happen is that some photographers aren't going to accept getting lowballed and then kids that are eager to get into paintball photography will shoot for peanuts. I look at all of the photo applications PbN gets for the photo badge and get new people applying all the time. Their photos aren't even close to ad quality. The only way this changes is if the manufacturers/sponsors suck it up and accept the fact that they're going to have to pay if they want quality photos. And that's not fair to them if they don't want to do that, but this move by the PSP may make that happen.

I've been a big proponent for media reform, but this recent release by the PSP is basically 2 steps forward and 20 steps back. People need to start realizing that we're spending money to travel to events too and while it wasn't as much as entry for teams, we're still ponying up our own money to be there. If this was just a power move to not get any photographers on the field unless they shot for manufacturers/sponsors, then mission accomplished. I think it's ridiculous that people that are taking semi-decent photos are taking payments in paintball gear, that's such a slap in the face to everyone else because it cheapens the work and perpetuates the idea that photographs don't matter and that we're expendable. While there's a lot of people in the middle ground, I do think there's some outstanding photographers here on PbNation and anyone who accepts anything less is bastardizing media. I love paintball as much as anyone else, but loving a sport won't pay bills or give me food.

Last edited by Hobbes The Tiger : 01-24-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Hobbes The Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:16 AM #30
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

p8ntcheck45 is a Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Professional paintball player
p8ntcheck45 is a Paintball photographer
p8ntcheck45 works for a Paintball manufacturer
 plays in the NXL
I am a professional photographer & have photographed the NFL, MLS, NCAA, X-Games, Dew Tour, WHL, NHRA, and many various high school and regional events across both traditional & extreme sports. I have never paid for a media pass at any of these events, nor has the company or newswire I was shooting for had to pay any fee to the event, league or venue to have me there. Charging photographers for photographic coverage at the event is far from the norm from the majority of other major league sports around the world.

I understand the desire for the league to seem more professional, but having photographers covering divisional paintball does not hurt the sports image in any way. In my opinion, it strengthens the perceived value to the "public, viewers and outside vendors" due to showing a large amount of media coverage & interest in the sport. More photographers means more content, this means more people will see photos & videos from the event, which is just a good thing all around. Only 5 for hire companies means the prices for team coverage will go up, total potential coverage will go down and there will be teams that will leave the event without photographic coverage that may have wanted it.

I hate crowded sidelines as much as the next guy, both as a player & photographer. But I don't think it hurts the sport or its image in any way having more photographers out there. I understand that some photographers are trying to make money to cover teams and players(or online due to web traffic), and that in doing so the league feels justified to charge them since they are making money at their event...while that is pretty much the entire point of professional photography as a whole (take photos for money) I do somewhat understand their viewpoint towards charging photographers to cover their event.

In my opinion, media access to the pro fields should be for established paintball media, sponsors & teams only. The remainder divisional fields should be open to a simple and affordable base price & approval that they are at the caliber of photographers needed. If I am not mistaken, it used to be like this not too long ago, and I strongly urge the PSP to reconsider this new rule.

I don't have all the answers to what would solve this problem, all I know is this new rule will eliminate photographic coverage of many teams & players who value that service, and it hurts the vast majority of photographers who are a very important part of this sports growth & success.

Ninja Edit- I would also like to point out that on my best day photographing a paintball event I booked 12 teams. Myself and my assistant where shooting from 8 AM to 4 PM non stop and it was extremely stressing & difficult to cover those 12 teams over 3 different fields & different schedules. On my absolute best & busiest day as a paintball photographer, the amount I made BEFORE expenses would not have covered one media pass for the standard PSP events.
www.JimmyHickeyphoto.com

Last edited by p8ntcheck45 : 01-24-2014 at 03:30 AM.
p8ntcheck45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:44 AM #31
WestcoastPBseries

WestcoastPBseries donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tdogg View Post
Looks like I'll be the guy taking selfies at the 50.....
lol
Visit our website for news and up-to-date information:www.playwcps.com
Questions? Feel free to send us an email:westcoastpaintballseries@yahoo.com.com
WestcoastPBseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:24 AM #32
Greenan

Greenan plays in the PSP
Greenan owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
This is assinine.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:00 AM #33
dorsai

dorsai posts videos on PbNation
Wide World Of Sports

What do they think this is, the Winter Olympics?

I can say is when an Imperial Decree like this
gets issued it means only one thing, the King
must have spent all his money on dancing girls
and the kingdom's treasury is in need of more
funds. Hope the king's subjects have enough
left over after they've paid their taxes, otherwise
the King is going to be out on the street begging
professional photographers to take pictures if his
event, just like the rest of the event promoters
are.

In other words, kiss my you know what....
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:35 AM #34
switch97
Ohio THRILL #97

switch97 plays in the APPA D5 division
switch97 supports DLX Technology
All of these stupid little nit picky money hungry bull**** rules will just start pushing people to the APL. Nice job PSP!
Ohio THRILL #97
Visit our Website and Facebook page
Shocker Parts For Sale!
switch97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 AM #35
the_kwa
NC Hammer

Photographer's should all boycott first PSP.

I bet they'd have a change of heart after that...
the_kwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:52 AM #36
Speedballer844

Speedballer844 is a Paintball photographer
Am I the only one that thinks it's nice they finally decided to clean out the yard? Way to many people are trying to shoot these days. Good move!
Speedballer844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 AM #37
booboodinosaur

booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedballer844 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks it's nice they finally decided to clean out the yard? Way to many people are trying to shoot these days. Good move!
Then why they don't just put a limit on the photographers per field? Why charge 1200?
booboodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 AM #38
Speedballer844

Because if they only have 5 photogs there is a good chance your working for a media company that can cover it or you have a big enough fan base were you will still be profiting or at least breaking even. Less photogs, more profit. I personally could care less to shoot for this league so no sides taken. Smart move, get all the crap off the field and keep it clean/professional.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:55 AM #39
Shootaho

Shootaho plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Shootaho plays in the APPA D3 division
I thought our goal was to promote paintball and publicize it as much as possible?

Help grow the sport not restrict the possible viewing of it?
Shootaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 AM #40
paintphotoman
show us them bullfrogs

paintphotoman supports Team VICIOUS
paintphotoman supports Team VICIOUS
well there goes my idea of getting back on the field once the neck healed from the fusions.unreal to think people will pay that to get on the field for a couple days.i did get to shoot the psp back in the day which it was fun but the my best photos came from shooting the cfoa.

shooting you is as easy as taking candy from a baby with no arms. (as said by paintphotoman)
you cant stop drop and roll in hell
live life one photo at a time.
paintphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:00 AM #41
Speedballer844

Quality over quantity
Old 01-24-2014, 07:14 AM #42
TheMMPaintball
Freestyle

TheMMPaintball plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
TheMMPaintball plays in the APPA D1 division
TheMMPaintball supports Empire
Wow, it looks like the NPPL is going to have great year they dont even have to do anything the psp changes this year are just awful