Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-27-2012, 12:37 AM #1
Defa1t

Mag Fed?

Hello , new to the current paintball scene. Whats up with the mag fed markers? I believe people are calling it MilSim? How efficient are they. I just checked out the rap4 guns and im pretty impressed. Ive also seen the mag conversion kits ,which i think are farely new, for the tippmann 98c, x7, ect. Would it be cheaper to just convert a tippmann 98 custom to mag fed and then put on all the addons or would it be better to buy something from rap4 or some other company already put together? Im assuming there are more companys that make these. The gun would probably be just be used occasionally. Its almost scary how realistic these guns look.
Defa1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2012, 09:32 AM #2
Freedy500

Freedy500 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dont pay attention to those. I dont know about rap4 they look great but those are very expensive. All of the others are horrible for you and will take a toll on your budget overall. The rap4 nautilus drive looks great but i heard they chop often. Now what you will want when it comes to mag fed paintball guns is a Q-loader those are great i run them my self. They carry 100 .68 paintballs,mag fed, easy conversion kits, capable of at least 32bps,barely much larger than a 140 round pod, and have life time warranties. The only mag fed system that holds more (not nearly as reliable and difficult to use) is the nautilus drive. here is the link for Q-Loaders. http://www.qloader.com/
if you dont use the Q-Loaders or rap4 then use nothing else. Just stick with hoppers if Q-loaders aren't good enough for you then get some electrical hoppers. Magazine fed guns besides those 2 are all junk
Freedy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:21 AM #3
Funk21

Okay I much like you hadn't been in the scene for a very long time and saw that same things you did-only play wwodsball so I thought why not get a mag fed marker. Well 2K later I took out my new milsim marker-a Milsig (from all accounts a better version of the Rap4-so they say) and went out to play.

Marker has horrible efficiency, essential an X-7 or 98 whith a ton of extra weight. Parts started breaking on it after the first use. The clips don't work half the time, that is after inserting into mag well the spring does not continue to feed balls into the breach. I bought 16 clips in total, 5 did not work out of the box!!!!. The clips are heavy and you'll need a least 6 per average game which means an added 5-10 pounds on your chest. You need a dump pouch. If you don't want to run out of air after each game your gonna need a larger tank than a 13CI which means a remote line and a scuba tank on your back.

If you like the idea of milsim wear some camo clothes and get a speedball marker(trust me). You'll be faster, lighter and better equiped in a firefight than some schmuck that has 20 lbs of gear with a 30-50 round tac cap. If you really want to play limited ammo games I would recommend either a X-7 Phenom with tac cap or a GOG G1 with a pump hopper.

Funk21
Funk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:36 AM #4
G4m30v3r
Gameoverman, Game over!

I have a Spyder MRX with 4 mags for 220 bux off Amazon. I for one do not like hoppers and the MRX so far has been pretty good. 4 mags The plus side is twist the barrel and you can switch to hopper.
Check the Spyder forums for more info.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:39 PM #5
ShadowFiend
pH Squared Clothing

has been a member for 10 years
ShadowFiend plays in the APPA D5 division
Mag Fed is a whole other way of playing, much like how a pump player limits themselves. Instead of a hopper and tank, you have realistic magazines and none of the bulk.

Of course your shots are limited to magazine capacity roughly 8-10 usually, barring any extended mags or things I'm not thinking of, but it's the price you pay for realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedy500 View Post
pNow what you will want when it comes to mag fed paintball guns is a Q-loader those are great i run them my self.
Running a Q-Loader on a mag fed destroys the point of mag fed IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedy500 View Post
Magazine fed guns besides those 2 are all junk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk21 View Post
Well 2K later

Tiberius Arms are junk?

Now I'm not the elder of Mag Fed knowledge but it sounds like you are at least looking for info on a nice niche of our sport. There is better information than this out there. You don't have to spend 2 grand on a set up to have fun with mag fed play and there are more than 2 decent types of Mag Fed markers.

A few things to look up would be Tippmann TiPX, Tiberius Arms 8.1, 9.1, or T4, maybe First Strike Rounds for an added accuracy factor, SAR12.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:20 PM #6
NoX13
WARNING: I Do Dumb ****!

I would have to agree with S.F, as far as the mag feed options he mentioned but Im more partial to Tiberius Arms then the TPX (personal opinion) if you want something small like a pistol you can go T8,T8.1 for 200ish, more or less depending on all the options you go with.. if you want a "rifle" type marker you can go with the T9.1 which will have the stock, and other parts and also the option to break down into a stand alone pistol..

You dont have to spend thousands of dollars on markers to get good equipment, keep your eyes open on PBN, MCB,Ebay and even craigslist for deal.. have questions before buying? no problem, ask in a forum here and there will be people who wont mind helping to keep you informed if your getting a deal or getting ripped.

Mag feed is fun..dont listen to whiners complaing about this or that,its not for everyone.. nothing ever is. Like pump its a challenge to yourself to play smarter since you are limiting yourself to a certain amount of paint.

if you have a chance when out at a local field and you see a player with a mag fed marker ask if he/she minds answering a few questions you may have or if you may be able to try their marker in the shooting/chrono range or if they can show you how the marker handles,functions and works... if honestly interested, Most players who give a damn about how the sport is perceived wouldnt mind at all helping with any of that because they see at as chance to inform a new player and get someone hooked on a sport/hobby they enjoy..

personally I do everything I can to help new players myself also.. Everything from answering questions they have to helping them understand the gear they are using if needed, understand the gear Im using if they ask, and Ill let them use my set up/s for a few rounds so they can see the different types of markers .

I cant stand being at a field and seeing a new player young or old getting blown off by a more "Experianced" player due to being though a noob to the sport.

My drinking team has a paintball problem.

**** you, **** you, Youre Cool, **** YOU!,
NoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:39 PM #7
NoX13
WARNING: I Do Dumb ****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk21 View Post
If you like the idea of milsim wear some camo clothes and get a speedball marker(trust me). You'll be faster, lighter and better equiped in a firefight than some schmuck that has 20 lbs of gear with a 30-50 round tac cap.

Funk21
Ill informed or retarded opinion ..either way..

speedball markers defeat the milsim aspect.. milsim = MILITARY SIMULATION/MILITARY SIMULATED ..speedball=speedball..

also.

Im one of those "shmucks" that likes to wear 20+ pounds of gear (at times) speedball markers do not = better quipped (and neither does 20 pounds of gear). minus the 20 pounds of gear, yes you may be lighter but doesnt mean someone is going to be faster, that depends on the player.. if you think about it a player who constantly carries a ton of gear is used to it due to it almost being resistance training..

and you use a speedball marker.. Yaaaay, you can miss me 20+ balls a second.. again.. volume fired doesnt make you a better player. neither does limiting yourself but over time You do get better by watching your shots and playing smart.. (this applies also to speedball markers,not saying or implying those who use them just constantly spray and pray).

I have 8 markers currently.. A shocker,two sp1s,4 tiberius pistols and a pgp (pump pistol) ... with the type of opinion you have (and if Im wrong Ill admit it and Im sorry) you seem a little cocky and sure of this theory..

With that said, if your ever in nj area Ill let you pick how many games you want to run,what type of field/s you want and what type of marker I have to use.. And ill prove it/you wrong.. Im not the worlds best player but Im good enough to know not to think too little of the other guy simply because the type of equipment he uses.. be it a super fancy fully upped electro or old school stock class..

Id put money down that by the end of the day your opinion changes...

My drinking team has a paintball problem.

**** you, **** you, Youre Cool, **** YOU!,
NoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:02 PM #8
Freedy500

i agree with funk21. That is what happens to people who go for looks and more realistic feeling guns. That is not what you want. Sure there will be the guy with a 10-20 round clip half of which are probably broken and he looks great with no profile and such but he will get destroyed by the guy with a ion,spyder,'mag and other guns (and all other speedball guns) who are going up to 50 bps (balls per second) with a hopper that feeds that fast and the gun with no chops and the guy who can carry up to a whole box of paint with him. I suggest you just stay with the hopper concept. There is a reason why most everyone still uses them. Now actually there are 4 things now.1. Nautilus drive (250 rounds). 2. Qloader (100 rounds) 3. rap4 magazine (20 rounds) 4. a strikeloader (1200 rounds) the strikeloader is coming out soon and costs a lot so if you ever want some Qloaders i got 12 i can sell to you just pm me.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:11 PM #9
Freedy500

oh im sorry i forgot about tiberius. Tiberius guns are great you can go with those to. there magazines are simple and easy to use and there great guns. I use one myself i own a T8 and i love it. He was talking about something for a tippman. If you want to go the realistic looking way with good performance and a clip fed definintly go with tiberius. They can be to expensive for some people though. And Qloaders do not destroy the purpose of mag fed. What most people look for in mag fed is a low profile but not a great reduction in paint capacity. If you want to limit your paint then play pump not with some knockoff mag conversions from some un heard of company.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:34 PM #10
Defa1t

Well just to clear a little of the air here, this MilSim gun wouldnt be the first or only gun i own. I know a lot of people absolutely hate the idea of carrying around a marker that looks and feels like an m4 and cant see why someone would want to play with all the extra weight but i think it could be fun at times. Would i use it everyday? Probably not... but i think it would be fun having something different. Anyway I dont think anyone answered me about the conversion kits for the tippmann guns. Ive checked out the some of the other guns and i feel like because this gun isnt going to be my first choice i dont want to spend a ton of money on it. Some of the videos ive seen seem pretty positibve. Anyone have any personal experience with these? If so, how reliable are they? I feel like converting a tippman 98c or a5 to something similar to a $500+ over a period of time would be easier on the wallet and maybe more personal.... but hey i could be wrong, thats why im here. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Defa1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:03 PM #11
Freedy500

Does it have to be a 98 or a5? If your going to spend 500+ on one then get a tiberius. Now also are you looking for a conversion kit that is more temporary where you can easily switch back to a hopper? Look on pbreview for some reviews on the conversion kits. If not a tiberius then just flat out get a rap4 all though those may be expensive they can easily be converted from a 20 round realistic looking magazine to another realistic looking 250 round box magazine they sell (unless you want to stick with the limited ammo form but that is still considered military stimulation) but if you ever want to go back to hopper there is an easy conversion you can do on it. I do see NoXs point of view now though. Only if your into Milsim but you would also have to be okay with the extra added weight, more required cash (vests,special pouches,extra clips,etc..) and constantly having to depend on your short count of ammo ready in your gun and keeping in mind you have to reload often. If your ready to accept that and get fully dedicated to that then you will do just fine and enjoy it. But if you arent ready to go all in and put a lot of hard work, dedication and patience with some other added troubles and new techniques that will come with the new type of play then it will end just being a waste of money and time on your part
Old 05-28-2012, 12:19 PM #12
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Ninja Paintball
ElJefe13 supports Empire
Why don't you try the Spyder MRX? I've been hearing a lot of good things about it. It's pretty efficient, mag-fed, and you can switch back to hopper-fed pretty easily. I'm thinking of picking one up for myself.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:57 PM #13
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Before you go out and drop a ton of cash on a new marker or a bunch of add ons I would recommend trying some limited ammo games. get a 50 round hopper or just dont fill the regular hoppers all the way. Play a few rounds without 200 in your hopper and 800 on your back. If you don't like that, you are gonna like magazines even less. I like pump, I like my 50 round hopper, but i also really like playing for an hour before I have to reload at least at the big tournament games
Lover of All Things Paintball
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:29 PM #14
Demon7899

plays in the NXL
Demon7899 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Demon7899 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Demon7899 plays in the APPA D4 division
I've owned a Rap4 t68 gen 5. It was a fun marker to own, and really added to the Milslim feel. But it did have its problems. The mags had lots of issues. And I had to replace the bolt twice. A old team mate of mine had a Gen6 sniper, and he loved it. But he had problems with the mags as well. Rap4 may have fixed the problem with the mags with there new version. I think there called D-mags. But they have not released these as of yet.

When it comes to woodsball I have used Tippmanns for years. And I love that you can upgrade them in many different ways and make them look very milslim.

As far as speedball guns in the woods. I have no problem with it. At the moment I use a Invert Mini and love it just as much as I have my tippmanns over the years. it just depends on your playing style and what you enjoy.
Demon7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 PM #15
YeloSno
Gen on Facebook

YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Magazine fed guns are cool in general, but you have to understand that your playing style will alter drastically.

Rap4 is called crap4 because the vast majority of their products are quite crappy. Great in design and can get the job done, but crappy.

Since the only good magazine-fed systems are ones in pistols, tiberius guns, and whatever people make at home, you may consider going handymode and stopping by undergroundmodshop.com for some how-to or (actually not a bad idea at all) maybe even picking up a Tiberius T9.1, then use its modular capabilities to make it look more like whatever gun you feel like you want to shoot.

The issue with mag-fed is that feeding paintballs or spherical objects in general is a bit difficult to get right. There are electric versions, but those are box magazines and make you quite the ponderous figure.

If you want the fun and challenge of magazine fed, try getting an inexpensive TiPX/TPX or somethign of the sort and trying it out.

It may be your thing, then maybe you can upgrade it. TechT and NDZ make amazing bolts for them which apparently allow you to run at a lower pressure (which, for the pistols is a godsend, trust me.) Maybe you could score a .684 Lapco or CP barrel for it, or maybe even just take an X7 barrel and freak-bore it. Maybe you can grab 4 or 5 mags so you can sport it the whole day.

I've shot a freak'd tpx and I must admit it felt great to play games with it.

That being said, you can always make the pistol your sidearm and just scoop up a pump or some mechanical gun for cheap and use that as your main.

With mags, it seems to be generally good to just be open minded about it and patient. That market is fresh and I bet R&D is going at it hard to advance the technology involved in using a magazine-fed paintball marker.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:34 AM #16
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

Coenen plays in the MiLP
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defa1t View Post
Well just to clear a little of the air here, this MilSim gun wouldnt be the first or only gun i own. I know a lot of people absolutely hate the idea of carrying around a marker that looks and feels like an m4 and cant see why someone would want to play with all the extra weight but i think it could be fun at times. Would i use it everyday? Probably not... but i think it would be fun having something different. Anyway I dont think anyone answered me about the conversion kits for the tippmann guns. Ive checked out the some of the other guns and i feel like because this gun isnt going to be my first choice i dont want to spend a ton of money on it. Some of the videos ive seen seem pretty positibve. Anyone have any personal experience with these? If so, how reliable are they? I feel like converting a tippman 98c or a5 to something similar to a $500+ over a period of time would be easier on the wallet and maybe more personal.... but hey i could be wrong, thats why im here. Thanks for the feedback guys.
If it were me doing the conversion, I'd be doing it to a 98C. The A-5 already has the Cyclone feed, so a mag fed conversion wouldn't make much sense to me, the afore mentioned Tac-Cap would seem to be the play there. Other bonus, you could probably buy 2-3 working condition 98's for the price of one A-5, giving you at least a little margin for error if you biff the conversion and end up wasting a body.
BLACK '07+ Planet Eclipse OOPS
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:40 PM #17
Freedy500

try out the Q-bow concept. I dont know about availability or anything of that i just know they can hold a good 20 rounds and are very reliable. They are simple cylinder that are pretty light-weight,mag fed (although not in the same shape) and you can probably pack a ton of them into a pod holder although i dont know how securely though. Quick to change also.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:02 AM #18
xiongsta_00

i've been playing magazine for awhile now...a little bit after i started playing paintball. i own the gen7 t68 and its an awesome marker (gen6 as my first paintball marker). if you have the patients to learn the ups and down in mag fed, then go try it. mags are a little pain to work with, but that's what comes with the territory. many of us mag fed players know this, but yet, we still continue to play it.
of course, this is not for everyone. many people are quick to judge and quit right away because its too different or harder to play compared to your basic spray and pray. i started with a hopper, but i wanted more...something different and now i love mag fed. dont get me wrong, i still like hoppers, but i like mag fed more for the realism of changing a mag when empty.
yes, i do own real guns too, thus more of the reason why i like the mag fed platform.
besides that, who said that you have to wear 20lbs of gear? 4 mags filled with paintballs dont even weigh that much to begin with. and the weight of the markers are actually close to real steal guns, so if you complain about that, then you aren't going to like shooting real steal rifles.
check out my youtube...azntactical...

if you really want to know the pros and cons of mag fed, talk to someone who has actual experience in mag fed (like myself)...im sure they will tell you and then you can decide whether to take that route or not. besides, if mag fed isnt for you, you can always convert it to hopper fed.
xiongsta_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:53 PM #19
Freedy500

^ If your looking into going all out and mag pro use the guns he has got. Great guns
Old 06-12-2012, 04:23 PM #20
justynmagz

Wow! I must say I am quite shocked after reading some of the responses to a simple question posed by Defa1t. I also find it pretty interesting for someone to say a Q-Loader is related to Milsim...actually I lied...it's pretty stupid...Wiki what Milsim actually means....

"MilSim is an abbreviation of Military Simulation, and refers to military simulations conducted by civilians for entertainment purposes. There are several forms of MilSim: airsoft games, paintball games, and video games simulating military scenarios and tactics." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milsim

Reading a reply like this frustrates me as a Milsim player. Milsim is exactly as it is defined on Wiki. Military simulations. Utilizing a vest/pack that weights an additional around 15lbs is Milsim. Q-Loaders are for those looking to play bushball/scenario games.

Regarding your original question about mag fed markers...its just like xionsta_00 said above...talk to someone who has actual experience with mag fed markers not someone who has simply tested one. To be honest with you Tippmanns, BTs, Spyders, and the other companies out there make reliable hopper fed markers that are very easy to disassemble and maintain. Mag feds are somewhat similar in the disassembly aspect but are different in terms of maintenance. People always say mag feds are finicky and a pain to deal with but normally its those people who have no patience that get frustrated with mag feds. If you can be patient and have a willingness to learn, mag feds are a great choice!

I wont sit here and tell you that you need to go out and buy a mag fed marker, rather I would have you ask yourself what style of play do you want to play? How much money are you wanting to spend? and how often are you going to get out and play?

If you're looking for a marker that is reasonably cheap for quality, that can be modified to the sky and back, you might want to try a Tippmann A5. They are roughly around $200-$250 base (depending on where you purchase from). If you are looking for a cheap mag fed you could turn to the new Spyder MRX which retails around $200.

All in all my friend, I would suggest you continue researching all markers you consider and wish you the best of luck in your adventure in paintball. It's an amazing adrenaline rush!

Ps - Don't buy a Q-Loader....IMO...
justynmagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 PM #21
robot0ninja

Keep in mind that when you go mag fed you will either need lots of magazines or quick ways to refill them. Now the cheapest route would be to carry around ten round tubes or a pod with a modified end that makes it easy to load a magazine. The other way would to just carry around extra magazines. This is far more expensive considering Tiberius mags cost $30 a piece while milsig and rap4 mags cost close to $40 a piece. Tipx/fox mags only cost $15 but are only sold in packs of two. Also, you would need a vest to carry all the mags. My vest cost with magazines was $300 when my t9.1 costed $350.

I think the nest option would to get a tippmann/us army project salvo and get a conversion kit for it. The final cost would be under $300 and it'd still have all the bells and whistles (stock, rails for accessories)

"Originally posted by Tempted: The length of the barrel."

GoPro Hero 2 for sale
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...705&highlight=
robot0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote