FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

FalconPunchKid is playing at Living Legends VIII
FalconPunchKid owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
FalconPunchKid supports DLX Technology
FalconPunchKid supports Empire
Weather for Dallas

A question with a not so easy answer.
It's given that inclement weather is just part of the sport we all enjoy. Sometimes we are just forced to play in bad weather. However given the propensity for inclement weather for the Dallas Open why does the PSP not change the date or make some sort of scheduling adjustment to accommodate for this. Using a farmers almanac I can see August is the best month as far as rain for Dallas which happens to be the highest average rainfall for Chicago. Just a thought. I know, I know there is tradition with the scheduling especially for Dallas and Chicago but is it just me or has Dallas really become a rain fest over the last few years?

Anthony Antle
FalconPunchKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2015, 06:39 AM #2
disasterplaya
Roll Tide!

has been a member for 10 years
disasterplaya is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
disasterplaya owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
disasterplaya owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
disasterplaya plays in the APPA Pro division
I would say 3 out of the past 4 opening events have been crapfests weather wise. Galveston island and now Dallas.
Rise Paintball
Aztek Photos
Trade My Gun
Freak
disasterplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:08 AM #3
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Scheduling events is about trade-offs. A chance of rain is better than a certainty of ridiculously high or low temperatures.

Obviously, you wouldn't want to be playing in Chicago in the beginning of March, even though the chance of rain is less.

Nor would you want to be playing in Dallas in August, when it will almost certainly be unbearably hot.

The simple reality of life is there isn't many times/places in the US where you have a guarantee of good weather... and the rare occasions you do tend to be incredibly expensive to be at. Best you can do is evaluate the odds, go with your likely best outcome, and the best place in the US to have an event in early March is Texas, recent bad luck not withstanding.

Hell, one year NPPL had an event in Miami in November - virtually certain to have good weather, right? Nope, unseasonably late hurricane. Then there was the event NPPL scheduled in Houston in August - again, supposed to be great weather, right? Nope, hurricane again.

PSP definitely isn't insensitive to weather, and did change the calendar up a bit this year at the expense of the traditional event calendar. Nashville in May and MAO in June should make for overall better weather odds.

- Chris

Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org

Last edited by raehl : 03-20-2015 at 11:13 AM.
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:27 AM #4
WP2015
ACL tears are no bueno

WP2015 plays in the PSP
WP2015 is playing at Living Legends VIII
WP2015 is an NCPA player
WP2015 supports Pev's Paintball
WP2015 is Legendary
WP2015 supports Empire
WP2015 is All In
Georgia, South Carolina, Arizona, Florida all come to mind.

There's gotta be somewhere with more consistently good weather in early March than Texas.

Or, delay the start of the PSP season until mid April. That would help northern teams and allow them to do mid-April/early June/Late July/early September/mid-October for the season. Shifting to September might also help cheapen travel and entice more school teams to play (maybe take advantage of Labor Day weekend)
Bring me ETACS or Skull Eflexes - PM Me
WP2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:07 PM #5
FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

FalconPunchKid is playing at Living Legends VIII
FalconPunchKid owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
FalconPunchKid supports DLX Technology
FalconPunchKid supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
Scheduling events is about trade-offs. A chance of rain is better than a certainty of ridiculously high or low temperatures.

Obviously, you wouldn't want to be playing in Chicago in the beginning of March, even though the chance of rain is less.

Nor would you want to be playing in Dallas in August, when it will almost certainly be unbearably hot.

The simple reality of life is there isn't many times/places in the US where you have a guarantee of good weather... and the rare occasions you do tend to be incredibly expensive to be at. Best you can do is evaluate the odds, go with your likely best outcome, and the best place in the US to have an event in early March is Texas, recent bad luck not withstanding.

Hell, one year NPPL had an event in Miami in November - virtually certain to have good weather, right? Nope, unseasonably late hurricane. Then there was the event NPPL scheduled in Houston in August - again, supposed to be great weather, right? Nope, hurricane again.

PSP definitely isn't insensitive to weather, and did change the calendar up a bit this year at the expense of the traditional event calendar. Nashville in May and MAO in June should make for overall better weather odds.

- Chris
Excellent response.
The motive for my original post is less about complaining and more about just pondering. Ever have those nights where you can't sleep because your mind is thinking about the most bizarre things. Well this is what my mind thinks about.

I can only imagine how perplex the scheduling can be. But still can't help but think that maybe Dallas in March inst a great location, or depending on how you view it, time for the opening event. While i can only speak for myself. I can say i would much rather play in cold/hot weather then play in a terrible down pour, or inches of nasty mud. I did only use Chicago as an Example but its actually been pretty decent temp wise. In the sense of comparison to what it was like in Feb.

Anthony Antle
FalconPunchKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:01 PM #6
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP2015 View Post
Georgia, South Carolina, Arizona, Florida all come to mind.
For the sake of the exercise...

Weather is just as random (Atlanta's airport got shut down for days because of some random ice), weather even more random than Georgia, Spring Training, Spring Training and Cup.

Spring training less of an issue for Florida but doubling up Florida events is a proven fail.

But yes, we really do think about these things.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

Old 03-20-2015, 08:03 PM #7
Spazdoc

Spazdoc is a Supporting Member
Spazdoc plays in the PSP
Spazdoc supports our troops
Correct me is am wrong, but hasn't the weather in Arizona been one of the more consistent?

pics of my markers --- old feedback
I want to Buy a Westwood or P&P Supercocker LE Autococker - Contact me
Gearbag sale - tanks, masks, barrels
Spazdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:22 PM #8
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazdoc View Post
Correct me is am wrong, but hasn't the weather in Arizona been one of the more consistent?
Consistently hot, yes.

The attendance numbers indicated the players didn't care for that location too much.

- Chris

Old 03-20-2015, 10:51 PM #9
Spazdoc

Spazdoc is a Supporting Member
Spazdoc plays in the PSP
Spazdoc supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
Consistently hot, yes.

The attendance numbers indicated the players didn't care for that location too much.

- Chris
For the first event the temps are usually 70s or 80s. The years PSP was in Phoenix were also some of the worst years for paintball, and I know many o free local teams here waited to go to Chicago and Cup. You would have the numbers.

Texas has been fraught with bad luck weather, while PSP recently gave up on Calfonia because of attendance. New Mexico? Vegas? Any others for March?

pics of my markers --- old feedback
I want to Buy a Westwood or P&P Supercocker LE Autococker - Contact me
Gearbag sale - tanks, masks, barrels
Spazdoc is offline   Reply With Quote