Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-16-2012, 11:37 AM #22
chodeyg
sprezzatura

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar786 View Post
Did any of you rush and regret it? or vice versa, not rush and regret it?
i regret a lot of things, but not rushing is not one of them. then again for me personally, i could never live in a house full of dudes, be expected to be here at this time on this day, or go through any form of hazing to be part of a group. so i would really never belong in a fraternity in any way.

if you think you want to be part of the fraternity environment just rush, you don't have to commit to anything.
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2012, 10:13 AM #23
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D5 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Break up with girlfriend right after highschool , long distance relationships dont work and you need to go balls to the wall socially the moment you get to college
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:07 AM #24
ryonkee28

I'm strongly leaning towards going to Illinois State University. Have any of you gone there or have any input?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:46 AM #25
esteban mendez
OG status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
nothing. I had a 4.0 my first 70 hours
Well then the answer for you would have been something like, "fun"
esteban mendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 AM #26
omar786
that brown kid

omar786 supports Team VICIOUS
omar786 posts videos on PbNation
omar786 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
What about balance between school and social stuff? I hear a lot of people do bad their first semester because they just get too caught up in enjoying college. What are some tips to avoid that?
AC: 417
omar786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 AM #27
blitz121
Pocket full of Sunshine

blitz121 helped look for balloons
blitz121 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
blitz121 supports Team VICIOUS
blitz121 supports Sherwood Forest
blitz121 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
blitz121 supports Ninja Paintball
try not to procrastinate, Work first party later. Thats about all you really can do is control yourself, I hate when people say they got caught up living life. Some people don't understand that college may be fun and exciting but you also need to keep the grades up.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 AM #28
corporationpaintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar786 View Post
What about balance between school and social stuff? I hear a lot of people do bad their first semester because they just get too caught up in enjoying college. What are some tips to avoid that?
Get your work done, I need to just sit down and do it. I like to do my assignments as soon as I get them so I can party when most people are bashing their heads against the wall.

Also, remember that while you are paying for fun, you also are paying for an education so you can move forward with your life. I've seen a lot of people burn out because they go too hard their first year, there are four of them, party responsibly through all of them.
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:18 PM #29
viking002
Da Sigma

plays in the NXL
viking002 posts videos on PbNation
viking002 is an NCPA player
Like everyone else has said. I passed up going out some nights because I had work to do. Remember that whatever is going on in the social scene will probably happen again, so don't worry about missing some things.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:25 PM #30
frontmon272
iPwn

As an accounting major going into my senior year of college, I've been "around the block" as some would say.

Before my freshman year, my dad decided it would be great to take his money out of his retirement fund and invest it all in the stock market (pre-collapse). Long story short, it made my college experience very difficult financially.

Once you get to the city of your college if you're moving away from home, try to find a part-time on-campus job. If you can't find one on campus, find a part-time job at restaurants or other places. Most people don't realize working on campus or at a restaurant is a wonderful way to meet new people (especially waitresses) and make friends because you're forced to be with them.

See if you can become an intramural referee. Usually they always hire if you just apply. Check out jobs way in advance before you actually get there.

Anyways, I also would have liked to have joined clubs earlier. This is a great way to meet people.

Honestly, my freshman summer I drank a lot and had a disastrous relationship with a girl that left me emotionally scarred all fall. However, in fall I found my love for basketball and exercising during this time, as well as learning valuable life lessons about dating (avoid hoes). Don't get caught up with the first girl that accepts you, meet people and take all relationships very slow, and I mean this not just for college.

As I head into my senior year, I've joined my university's men's chorus, became an officer in a wonderful accounting organization, learned to play piano, changed my circle of friends from freshman year, and received free singing lessons through the university.

College is what you make it. It's easier to spend all your time playing mario kart in your dorm then going to movies, events and other things on campus.

"Originally posted by CgotNerve59: The gooch is ok, but if some girl put her finger in my Brown eye, She would be joining the smackahoe tribe"
frontmon272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:18 PM #31
2ffu

If you are a senior year accounting major and don't have an internship you're doing it wrong and have yet to be "around the block"
2ffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:34 AM #32
ladd_17
Boycott 10bps

ladd_17 is a Supporting Member
ladd_17 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
ladd_17 is Boss
If I could go back and start my freshman year over I'd have taken the opportunity to drop out before I accumulated a mountain of debt on the premise that I'd be better off for it after I graduated. Here I am with a biomedical engineering degree and I can't get a job to save my life. The market is so saturated with college grads now that the notion of "A college education will give you a leg up" is a farce. A bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma; without continued education it really won't do anything for you. Our children will have to earn Ph.D's just to get interviews.

Go to trade school, learn actual skills.

Desperately awaiting the return of fun tournament paintball

TRUST

Last edited by ladd_17 : 07-02-2012 at 11:50 AM.
ladd_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:35 PM #33
ashep01

ashep01 supports Team VICIOUS
ashep01 is for the Gunfight
ashep01 plays in the APPA D4 division
ashep01 supports DLX Technology
I wish i went to a cheaper school and was an english/communications major.
ashep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 PM #34
omar786
that brown kid

omar786 supports Team VICIOUS
omar786 posts videos on PbNation
omar786 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontmon272 View Post
As an accounting major going into my senior year of college, I've been "around the block" as some would say.

Before my freshman year, my dad decided it would be great to take his money out of his retirement fund and invest it all in the stock market (pre-collapse). Long story short, it made my college experience very difficult financially.

Once you get to the city of your college if you're moving away from home, try to find a part-time on-campus job. If you can't find one on campus, find a part-time job at restaurants or other places. Most people don't realize working on campus or at a restaurant is a wonderful way to meet new people (especially waitresses) and make friends because you're forced to be with them.

See if you can become an intramural referee. Usually they always hire if you just apply. Check out jobs way in advance before you actually get there.

Anyways, I also would have liked to have joined clubs earlier. This is a great way to meet people.

Honestly, my freshman summer I drank a lot and had a disastrous relationship with a girl that left me emotionally scarred all fall. However, in fall I found my love for basketball and exercising during this time, as well as learning valuable life lessons about dating (avoid hoes). Don't get caught up with the first girl that accepts you, meet people and take all relationships very slow, and I mean this not just for college.

As I head into my senior year, I've joined my university's men's chorus, became an officer in a wonderful accounting organization, learned to play piano, changed my circle of friends from freshman year, and received free singing lessons through the university.

College is what you make it. It's easier to spend all your time playing mario kart in your dorm then going to movies, events and other things on campus.
This is super helpful!
AC: 417
omar786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:58 AM #35
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
If I could go back... I wouldn't have wasted my time with college.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:46 PM #36
aimeagle21
Shooting people 4 fun

aimeagle21 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
aimeagle21 plays in the APPA D4 division
hahahaha^

For me, absolutely not procrastinate as much, get your s*** done that needs to be done, then party or whatever you please.
COLORS PAINTBALL Fremont Michigan!
Old style trust
aimeagle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 PM #37
ArchAngelIon
I run a field now

ArchAngelIon plays in the PSP
ArchAngelIon helped look for balloons
ArchAngelIon posts videos on PbNation
ArchAngelIon is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Play musical classes during my freshman and sophomore year.

Towards the end of undergrad I exploited the **** out the amount of time we had until our schedule was set in stone. I would show up to 10 or so different classes the first days and grab the syllabus and size up the prof. The heavy work loads and alpha profs were dropped instantly. Know the rules and exploit.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 AM #38
doless
ballin in, ballin out

Had i the chance to turn back the clock, i would've stayed inside and studied every night of the weekend.

Instead i took around 4-5 trips to the ER for alcohol poisoning. Reason being my roommates were massive guys (easily over 200, and i'm a lean 175lbs. So when we went out guess who had the most to drink per pound?

stay in school
Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 AM #39
M98custom1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladd_17 View Post
If I could go back and start my freshman year over I'd have taken the opportunity to drop out before I accumulated a mountain of debt on the premise that I'd be better off for it after I graduated. Here I am with a biomedical engineering degree and I can't get a job to save my life. The market is so saturated with college grads now that the notion of "A college education will give you a leg up" is a farce. A bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma; without continued education it really won't do anything for you. Our children will have to earn Ph.D's just to get interviews.

Go to trade school, learn actual skills.
It seems everyone I talk to is either a nursing, engineering, or business major.

That's why I went to trade school learned machining/cad first.. Got a nice job doing engineering/design/machining now I'm finishing up my associates and bachelors.

On the plus side I will have 3 years of design/engineering under my belt before I graduate.. no ******* interships doing ***** work.. I did that bull **** while in high school

On topic- I wished, I would have had a larger social life and banged randoms girls but life moves on.

OLD FEEDBACK

No Custom Milling Without A Deposit..
Chief Machining

Last edited by M98custom1212 : 08-30-2012 at 02:46 PM.
M98custom1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 AM #40
xScubaSquadx
JMU Paintball

xScubaSquadx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xScubaSquadx has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xScubaSquadx has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
My freshman year did not include school. I messed up really bad. I partied all the time and pretty much never went to class. As an engineering major this was a bit of a problem. I ended the first semester with a 1.14 and have been trying to pull it back up ever since. My advice; Have fun, meet people, but most of all, get your work done and decide what path you really want to pursue. college gives you the opportunity to do whatever you want
xScubaSquadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 AM #41
xScubaSquadx
JMU Paintball

xScubaSquadx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xScubaSquadx has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xScubaSquadx has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I also didn't rush a fraternity until really late in my college career. I don't think that a party/social fraternity would have been a good decision for me, but i joined an engineering fraternity, which has been so much better than i would have imagined. Having a bunch of other guys around who are focused, determined, and doing all the same things as me (or who had already done them) was incredibly useful.
xScubaSquadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 PM #42
berry_wendel
I WILL RULE YOU!!!

berry_wendel is playing at Living Legends III
berry_wendel owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
berry_wendel supports Team VICIOUS
berry_wendel is reppin' sidebar 4 life
joined the air national guard out of high school. got into a good meterology program and graduated early cause of credits from air force. gotten a killer internship every year and do a co-op. Graduate college with a degree, experience and skills so my resume wouldnt be bull****.
berry_wendel is offline   Reply With Quote