Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 AM #1
firemedic47660

Good n bad of Asylum event

Aight everyone, lets get this ball started to try to see what we can praise and constuctively criticize about the Asylum event from August 11. First off, PROPS GO OUT TO THE LAYOUT ON FIELD 2. Very old school and loved it. All we needed was some of the old 32 Degrees bunkers to add to it. Also, the paint shot AWESOME all day long. Air pressure fills were great all day long and this greatly appreciated but dont expect any less from Kenny's facility. Refs on Field One were exceptional during prelims and semi finals. Refs on field 2 weren't exactly the same, but this is gonna happen. The ref on Field 2 wearing the orange shirt was in there checking people and getting shot. This is how it's supposed to go. From the sidelines and from playing, a little more training needs to go into the reffing. Refs need to remember that they are not only there to make calls, but also for the safety of the players. When someone dives into the snake and their mask comes off and a ref is standing right beside them, that ref should be on them so that they don't get shot in the face. Especially when the player is trying to get to his mask to get it back over his face and is still getting shot in the head while doing so. the ref was even told that " my mask is off" and the ref said, "I know." This is a HUGE SAFETY issue and refs need to realize that they have to get in there and take the hits. Also had another situation with this same ref when he went to assist field 1 in the finals. I couldn't move due to him laying in between me and the next bunker. I asked the person to move multiple times so that I could bump up. I was at the home small Aztec and wanted to go to snake feeder dorito, but couldn't due to the ref lying right in my line to run. I asked him multiple times to move.
All in all, this was a great event. Only had to take care of one person, person needed a band aid. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR MAKING THIS EVENT. See everyone next event.
firemedic47660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2012, 09:40 AM #2
98Pro
Asylum 502

98Pro plays in the PSP
98Pro owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
98Pro owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
98Pro plays in the APPA D4 division
Have to say, I think asylum did everything they could to make this a great event. D5 was just a huge mess. Reffing was good, more penalties, and larger penalties should have been pulled on field 1, however Dan and his boys do a good job reffing and as hard as they work I can see them missing a couple calls.
"Alright you guys are my ginger crew, you gotta act hard af" - Todd Martinez
Play SEPS!
98Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 AM #3
bonee02

has been a member for 10 years
bonee02 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
bonee02 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic47660
Aight everyone, lets get this ball started to try to see what we can praise and constuctively criticize about the Asylum event from August 11. First off, PROPS GO OUT TO THE LAYOUT ON FIELD 2. Very old school and loved it. All we needed was some of the old 32 Degrees bunkers to add to it. Also, the paint shot AWESOME all day long. Air pressure fills were great all day long and this greatly appreciated but dont expect any less from Kenny's facility. Refs on Field One were exceptional during prelims and semi finals. Refs on field 2 weren't exactly the same, but this is gonna happen. The ref on Field 2 wearing the orange shirt was in there checking people and getting shot. This is how it's supposed to go. From the sidelines and from playing, a little more training needs to go into the reffing. Refs need to remember that they are not only there to make calls, but also for the safety of the players. When someone dives into the snake and their mask comes off and a ref is standing right beside them, that ref should be on them so that they don't get shot in the face. Especially when the player is trying to get to his mask to get it back over his face and is still getting shot in the head while doing so. the ref was even told that " my mask is off" and the ref said, "I know." This is a HUGE SAFETY issue and refs need to realize that they have to get in there and take the hits. Also had another situation with this same ref when he went to assist field 1 in the finals. I couldn't move due to him laying in between me and the next bunker. I asked the person to move multiple times so that I could bump up. I was at the home small Aztec and wanted to go to snake feeder dorito, but couldn't due to the ref lying right in my line to run. I asked him multiple times to move.
All in all, this was a great event. Only had to take care of one person, person needed a band aid. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR MAKING THIS EVENT. See everyone next event.
This is mainly for the part about the ref being in your way....step on him (not preferred), jump over, or go around...
Old 08-12-2012, 10:56 AM #4
GanjaPalooza
Double D

GanjaPalooza plays in the MiLP
GanjaPalooza owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
GanjaPalooza plays in the APPA D5 division
GanjaPalooza has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
This was my first organized tournament since CFOA in like 2006 and I had a great time. Like the OP said, GREAT JOB on field 2.... I loved it, and Field 1 refs were way above average (There was the one on D-Side that would actually come pull you out and hug you with his body so you wouldn't get shot anymore )

I did notice both of the fields were badly behind schedule and not at the same pace, although I think that is somewhat expected when there is a team playing D4/D5 and only 5 teams in D5.

Asylum is definitely the nicest setup I have been to, will be stopping by there anytime I have the chance.

All in all it was more than I expected even after coming in the weekend before to run scrims, mad props to anyone who made yesterday happen the way it did.

Oh yea, forgot one thing: THE WEATHER

How amazing was that?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:24 AM #5
firemedic47660

Josh, I will next time, lol. Wasnt a big deal, just something little.
firemedic47660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:50 AM #6
$lash
www.onlypaintball.com

kenny put on a great event! thanks

No one ever got higher then Denver Altitude...
$lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:04 PM #7
andyconley

Perfect weather. Great fields. 4500 psi and better on fills. Good reffing. Excellent compatition.

On a side note: During the D-4 finals I witnessed a reff with both of his arms on top of an Aztec resting his body as a game was in progress. I thought this was kinda funny, but strange.
andyconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:04 PM #8
saints11

saints11 is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
saints11 plays in the APPA D2 division
good time!! great weather, awesome people..

INDY SAVAGE

PG RISE>PG UNITED>PG RISE
saints11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:29 PM #9
iiiShootPPL
Recball>all

awesome field. refs were great. good weather as well. I absolutely loved the astroturf there. I didn't dive on a hidden rock all day like I have at other fields with turf
Old 08-12-2012, 09:30 PM #10
undertow00

undertow00 plays in the PSP
undertow00 plays in the APPA D3 division
everything at Paintball Asylum is always perfect, this was my first SEPS, everything ran smooth, fills were good, and i love playing on the table top
RIDE OR DIE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,RIP PG
"what is montana"
IF YOU HAVE YOUR SETUP IN YOUR SIG YOUR A NOOB
www.pbasylum.com
undertow00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 PM #11
c-mack

c-mack supports Cereal Killerz 2
c-mack donated to help Peyton Trent
c-mack owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
No complaints here. Reffing was great. Fields were nice as always. Kenny and the boys always have a nice event. Weather was perfect. It was good to see some old faces.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:41 AM #12
bendigo360
SuperDan

plays in the NXL
bendigo360 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
bendigo360 plays in the APPA D2 division
bendigo360 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Pro View Post
Reffing was good, more penalties, and larger penalties should have been pulled on field 1, however Dan and his boys do a good job reffing and as hard as they work I can see them missing a couple calls.
Note taken. Me and my boys were on field one reffing. We appreciate any constructive criticism and will work on and change anything that needs to be changed before we ref our next event. I will say though, After the tournament I did hear some players who successfully got rid of hits while they were on field one. Some of those players were proud of it too. To those players who wiped hits or got rid of them, you are the exact reason why refs have to work so hard to make an event go well. You're not only cheating the other team, but you are also cheating yourself and the referees that take hits all day long to make sure that you have a good tournament. A tournament going well starts with the players. The integrity of the sport is characterized by the integrity its players.

I hope everyone had as good a time as we did. Yes, it was hard work but it is always good to see all of our friends. Thanks for the opportunity. Hope to see a lot of you in Nashville. Take care.

Paintball Asylum
CHRISTKREW
29:11

Last edited by bendigo360 : 08-13-2012 at 02:52 PM.
bendigo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:31 AM #13
dmorse7
Hitmen are coming!

dmorse7 supports our troops
dmorse7 plays in the APPA D4 division
dmorse7 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendigo360 View Post
Note taken. Me and my boys were on field one reffing. We appreciate any constructive criticism and will work on and change anything that needs to be changed before we ref our next event. I will say though, After the tournament I did hear some players who successfully got rid of hits while they were on field one. Some of those players were proud of it too. To those players who wiped hits or got rid of them, you are the exact reason why refs have to work so hard to make an event go well. You're not only cheating the other team, but you are also cheating yourself and the referees take hits all day long to make sure that you have a good tournament. A tournament going well starts with the players. The integrity of the sport is characterized by the integrity its players.

I hope everyone had as good a time as we did. Yes, it was hard work but it is always good to see all of our friends. Thanks for the opportunity. Hope to see a lot of you in Nashville. Take care.
We need a like button on nation. Dan's crew did a great job especially considering the were a bit understaffed. You could say if they had more staff they would spot more of those issues and take care of them. However, Dan is right those issues are not caused by a lack of refs but a lack of integrity. Refs are there to help you call hits you can't see, to make the judgment calls of who hit who first, did you step out of bounds, etc.
Having said that I really didn't see much of that going on. This was aother great event for SEPS. Loved the old school field 2. It was great to see PG make the trip and participate, I've never got to compete against them and it was fun.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 AM #14
98Pro
Asylum 502

98Pro plays in the PSP
Couldn't agree more ^^^.
Play SEPS!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:09 PM #15
Budliteallnite
MidSouthOutlaws FTW

Budliteallnite plays in the MiLP
Budliteallnite supports Team VICIOUS
Budliteallnite plays in the APPA D4 division
Budliteallnite supports DLX Technology
The refs one field one were great.... but i cant say the same about field two. the refs that had the construction vests on had no clue how to ref and you could tell. They never got out on the field to check anyone and they were constantly taking their masks off while we were chronoing our guns for the other refs and getting ready for the match. This was also the most disorganized SEPS i have attended. None of the games were even close to the schedule and that pretty much got us disqualified in D5 which in turn made Asylum Shockwave get 2nd place when really they deserved 1st.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 PM #16
clhunt02

great tournament had a few hiccups with one field being faster then another but that happens. refs on field one prolly need to learn some rules about penatlys on dirty hangs but amazing tournament so much fun thanks everyone
clhunt02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:02 PM #17
stringbuster

stringbuster has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Some refs on field 2 were terrible, calling players out from bunker rub and just all around clueless. Field 1 was way better, had some iffy calls but no real complaints with those guys.

However our team was disqualified on field 1 because of some bull**** because the refs called for our D4 team on a D5 match and claimed that they didn't.
The very next game they called our D5 team for a D4 match so apparently they got they're schedules mixed up or something. We won both games but were disqualified in D5 because of 1 illegal player.
Review budlightallnight's comment for what else this caused. I agree with his statements.
We did not drive 6 and 8 hours to cheat. Nor have we cheated at any other seps events. Most of our players are D5 ranked.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM #18
bendigo360
SuperDan

plays in the NXL
bendigo360 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
bendigo360 plays in the APPA D2 division
bendigo360 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbuster View Post
However our team was disqualified on field 1 because of some bull**** because the refs called for our D4 team on a D5 match and claimed that they didn't.
The very next game they called our D5 team for a D4 match so apparently they got they're schedules mixed up or something. We won both games but were disqualified in D5 because of 1 illegal player.
Review budlightallnight's comment for what else this caused. I agree with his statements.
We did not drive 6 and 8 hours to cheat. Nor have we cheated at any other seps events. Most of our players are D5 ranked.

I was the ultimate ref on field one and I was also the ref calling out the teams who were on the field/on deck/in the hole. I called out EXACTLY what was written on my lists to call out. I called out the teams every match so that would have given at least 3 times for you to hear what teams should be ready to be geared up. There were no mix up of schedules. I also don’t think anyone had a hard time hearing me because I yelled quite loud enough for everyone to hear (especially those closest to the net). You did not get disqualified from "BS because the refs." That was not my decision to disqualify you. I simply responded to a complaint at forwarded it to the one at the score table who handled the issue. Neither I nor any of the refs on field one disqualified you or your team. Please understand that. Also, there was no "they" calling out the teams during finals. There was a "he", and that one individual calling out the matches was me. If you want to blame a ref you can point fingers at me not the entire ref crew. If by saying that "the ref called for our D4 team on a D5 match and claimed that HE didn't" you are saying that I lied... Well, I guess I will let my reputation as a player/referee/indivdual stand on its own for that. You guys are a stellar crew and I have no problem with any of you. I greatly enjoyed talking to all of you and hope that we see you in Nashville.

Paintball Asylum
CHRISTKREW
29:11

Last edited by bendigo360 : 08-13-2012 at 02:49 PM.
bendigo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:46 PM #19
98Pro
Asylum 502

98Pro plays in the PSP
I don't think it was Dan's fault cause we heard our name called on a D4 game after D5 finals were done. There was definitely some organization that was needed. I mean both us AND MSO2 got screwed. They would've had 2nd and us 1st. But instead we got 3rd and they got nothing. D5 was such a huge mess...
Play SEPS!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 PM #20
stringbuster

stringbuster has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendigo360

I was the ultimate ref on field one and I was also the ref calling out the teams who were on the field/on deck/in the hole. I called out EXACTLY what was written on my lists to call out. I called out the teams every match so that would have given at least 3 times for you to hear what teams should be ready to be geared up. There were no mix up of schedules. I also don’t think anyone had a hard time hearing me because I yelled quite loud enough for everyone to hear (especially those closest to the net). You did not get disqualified from "BS because the refs." That was not my decision to disqualify you. I simply responded to a complaint at forwarded it to the one at the score table who handled the issue. Neither I nor any of the refs on field one disqualified you or your team. Please understand that. Also, there was no "they" calling out the teams during finals. There was a "he", and that one individual calling out the matches was me. If you want to blame a ref you can point fingers at me not the entire ref crew. If by saying that "the ref called for our D4 team on a D5 match and claimed that HE didn't" you are saying that I lied... Well, I guess I will let my reputation as a player/referee/indivdual stand on its own for that. You guys are a stellar crew and I have no problem with any of you. I greatly enjoyed talking to all of you and hope that we see you in Nashville.
I apologize then. You apparently did your job correctly. The sheet however must have been incorrect. There was some mix up somewhere about Mid South Outlaws (D4) and Mid South Outlaws 2 (D5).
Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 PM #21
jorge19
_TNB_

jorge19 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
 plays in the NXL 2
jorge19 plays in the MiLP
That was no mix up, thats what you call HUSTLINNNNN!!!!!