PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 AM #1
PaintballDelivery
Pittsburgh PA

Netting in Windy Area Idea

Well I am sick of dealing with repairs, winter tear down and the stress crossing my fingers every time a storm comes.

We just relocated. Our last field we did over kill and had a professional install the wire and telephone pole anchors. This was a permanent structure with the netting clipped on 20ft up.

So my wonder is if this would work. Try to visualize this. I do not like eye hooks, but for this idea I will need to use them. Every pole would have them installed. The end poles have anchors. I would affix one end of the wire to an anchor then run the wire up to the eye hook of the first pole, continue to weave the wire to the end pole of the other side. Continue down to the anchor. Here I would have a some sort of crank or Come Along to create tension on the wire.

Reason for this I feel with just one point I can release the tension and drop the wire to the ground once the netting is attached.

Where do you see a flaw?
PaintballDelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 AM #2
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

has been a member for 10 years
if I see it right, there are two problems.

1) Cable strong enough to hold the netting will saw right through even the largest eye bolts in just a few days.

2) If the netting is attached to the cable and if the cable goes through eye bolts at the top of the pole... there could never be enough slack to drop the netting. It would just have a series of droops between poles.

The way to handle it is very similar to what you describe. Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIBQ9KlEK3U

www.TacticalAdventureGames.com
Delmarva Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 AM #3
PaintballDelivery
Pittsburgh PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva Paintball View Post
if I see it right, there are two problems.

1) Cable strong enough to hold the netting will saw right through even the largest eye bolts in just a few days.

2) If the netting is attached to the cable and if the cable goes through eye bolts at the top of the pole... there could never be enough slack to drop the netting. It would just have a series of droops between poles.

The way to handle it is very similar to what you describe. Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIBQ9KlEK3U
I agree it will begin to saw. We have used little eyehooks from the hardware store in the past and they do last a good bit. What do they use?

How did you find that video lol? Pretty much what I wanted to do with a winch. I cant tell from the video how is it that wire is ran for it to drop in that manner.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 AM #4
Jelvas
Marker Tech

Jelvas has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Jelvas is Legendary
Jelvas supports DLX Technology
Jelvas supports Empire
Instead of an eye bolt you could use a pulley setup so you would not cut through anything with friction.
After thinking more on it i"m sure you could figure a system out with pulleys and 1 winch to raise and lower the whole netting. The weight of the netting wont be an issue for most winches.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 PM #5
PaintballDelivery
Pittsburgh PA

I assume this is the more conventional way of going about it.

I was looking at something like this.

Delmarva- I dont understand how in that video the entire net is lifted with one winch at the end.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 PM #6
Jelvas
Marker Tech

Jelvas has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Jelvas is Legendary
Jelvas supports DLX Technology
Jelvas supports Empire
this is more what i was thinking. Then you just have to crank the winch 20' either way to raise or lower a whole side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paintball 007.JPG (639.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 PM #7
K-9
name's ryon. hi

K-9 plays in the PSP
K-9 donated to help Peyton Trent
K-9 supports DLX Technology
My old field I used to operate used this as we could drop the nets every night so our posts werent broken in half the next day after a very strong gust
We used nylon rope and SS eyelets and it lasted for around 5 years before we closed shop.
The only thing about dropping your nets are critters on the ground that like to chew through them

PaintballDelievery- Your first concept is exactly what we used except without the pulleys/winches. We used boating tie downs to do so
K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM #8
bigfootguy2002
Play Paintball Here!

bigfootguy2002 is a Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 plays in the PSP
bigfootguy2002 plays in the MiLP
bigfootguy2002 plays in the APPA D5 division
Thats what I was going to say. You can do it with rope, a pulley, and a cleat at the bottom.
-Will

(205) 837-4177
bigfootguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM #9
Horizon

We pull our netting sideways like a curtain and tie the sections onto posts (well trees actually in our case) so the wind doesn't play havoc with it. It's off the ground this way. Been doing it like this for over 11 years now.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 PM #10
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
netting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
We pull our netting sideways like a curtain and tie the sections onto posts (well trees actually in our case) so the wind doesn't play havoc with it. It's off the ground this way. Been doing it like this for over 11 years now.
Yup, I've done this too, or in some cases raised the nets upward to the top wire. Simple with ropes that run from the top of a post(on the inside), down under the bottom of the net...then up to the post on the opposite side(outside) through a pulley then back down to the ground where you can reach it. You simply pull on the top and it raises the netting up. Kind of like a theater curtain. You just do one on every pole. It's pretty quick. Keeps things off the ground, and is handy if you have to move stuff in and out on the field. Takes a bit longer since you have it on every pole but if you put a small winch every couple of poles it may be faster.