Old 02-17-2011, 12:37 AM #1
Alex4108
The real alex.

Alex4108 posts videos on PbNation
Alex4108 supports Pev's Paintball
Alex4108 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Alex4108 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Want to become a ref

So I know of one or two fields out here that will let me ref next year, once I'm 16. Just curious though, what's it like being an actual ref?

I've goofed off with them before and helped em out once or twice... Mostly just calling hits.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM #2
Lanarchy

More about safety, and not slacking off. You have to be hyper-vigilante about masks and barrel socks, because you are now accountable for your players. Also, not leaning up against a pole while the group re-fills/re-hydrates. Depending on the field, they may force you to change it up sometimes, the field I ref'd at made us play something besides team elimination ever 3 rounds. They may also ask you when you last chrono'd.
And, having players straight up yell at you for not checking a hit fast enough, or having teams imbalanced. Uncommon, but it happens to us all.
Lanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:34 PM #3
Spike511
Biddy

Spike511 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Spike511 is an NCPA player
Spike511 supports Pev's Paintball
Spike511 plays in the APPA beginner division
You learn how to communicate with people effectively, deffinately.

Multitasking, you'll do alot of it...

Biggest tip for ya is dont tunnel vision, and have a hightened sense of everyones masks and barrel covers...
ChristKrew #269
Spike511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 AM #4
Alex4108
The real alex.

Haha thanks.

Reffed last night as a volunteer for nightball. I ran around an entire round just checking hits xD

Yeah, they had the refs (including the volunteer pending hiring *me*) change up the bunkers about halfway through the night. Thanks for the suggestions
Alex4108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:06 PM #5
stalefishsk8er

stalefishsk8er supports Team VICIOUS
stalefishsk8er is for the Gunfight
stalefishsk8er supports Pev's Paintball
its more like playing paintball without the $1200 gun but you got to know when to make calls and to make sure that anyone on the field can hear you. my field has a no bunkering rule where you cant be in between of 10-15 feet of another player and i was trying to tell my co-worker "Kenny your too close" over and over again to the point he got shot and i had to call him out but anyway if you don't need to fill out any paoerwork then it's an under the table job like my field is
Old 03-28-2011, 11:52 PM #6
Alex4108
The real alex.

Reffed as a volunteer at the indoor field last weekend. I was actually going around checking to make sure everyone had their masks on, as beginners, heh. ^-^

Anyway, super hypervigilante about masks the other day. Barrel socks I had to watch for.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 PM #7
stalefishsk8er

stalefishsk8er is for the Gunfight
stalefishsk8er supports Pev's Paintball
two things you need to watch for is barrel protective devices i.e. plugs, covers, or anything in between and also watchout for mask's too
Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 AM #8
Alex4108
The real alex.

So my team is getting a sponsorship from one of the fields. They put each player at their own tier system for discounts, but require us to ref. Just I really don't like the jerseys we get (extreme rage ref pancho things). So, should I try calling eclipse and see about ordering ref jerseys for my entire team, if they still make those? Or should we just buy orange long sleeve shirts and iron on REF?

Dives are really hard with no sleeves

Last edited by Alex4108 : 04-10-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Alex4108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:57 PM #9
MN_Rising
Stroppy Woman

MN_Rising owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MN_Rising supports Team VICIOUS
MN_Rising plays in the APPA D5 division
MN_Rising has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm a little confused?

You should start by asking to make sure you can use a different type of jersey - if the field supplies a certain jersey they probably expect you to wear that jersey. Even though I purchased my own jersey, I was still expected to wear the ones provided by the field I was working at, even when it was just volunteer work.

I don't really know any reason that a Referee should be diving around regularly, and I'd suggest elbow pads if you are wearing short sleeves while reffing, or maybe under-armor or long-sleeves under the ref uniform.

Eclipse 10 Referee Jerseys are only coming in sizes XL, XXL, XXXL
http://www.shop-eclipse.com/product.asp?id=4150
MN_Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 AM #10
Alex4108
The real alex.

They have almost every type of ref jersey in use there..

Red short sleeve shirts that say REF
PE Ref Jerseys
Extreme Rage No sleeve REF
BT no sleeve REF
Old 11-10-2011, 09:09 AM #11
StandUpxBoston
NXL Referee

StandUpxBoston is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
StandUpxBoston posts videos on PbNation
StandUpxBoston has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
StandUpxBoston supports DLX Technology
The real key is to be aware of everything thats going on. Well obviously we only have 2 eyes, use them to your advantage. Theres nothing like a game of paintball when everything goes smooth because the ref is doing there job.
StandUpxBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 AM #12
bumblB

has been a member for 10 years
bumblB plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
The best two things you can do as a ref is safety number one, and making sure players are having fun number two. Goggles and barrel blocking devices are major if you plan on reffing. Yelling to get their attention if they lift there mask is fine, but make sure afterwards to quickly/kindly explain yourself. If I screamed at a player to put their mask back, as soon as I get to them I say, "Hey, sorry for yelling, but I just want you to be safe." They usually apologize and agree with me 99% of the time. Try to gauge your players while watching them play. Find out who are the problematic players, keep an extra eye on them, if they keep breaking rules, have them sit a game or two. If it keeps happening and you have to sit them several times, let someone like your head-ref/manager know and have them deal with the situation so you can focus on your field and group to make sure the rest of them are having a good time.

For the fun factor, try to think of things that people playing paintball for the first time might enjoy. I love speedball, playing tournaments, etc. The 'paintball' that I love may not be as enjoyable to that new first time player. Try to cater to them, even if your idea of a fun game of paintball is different. I would also try to gauge my groups. Generally I'd start off with 1-2 games of simple 1-hit elimination. If the group performed well on safety to me, I'd change up the games types to defend the castle, respawn, "zombies," capture the flag, or other object oriented games.

I feel like I can go one for days on game types, but I'll try to just quickly explain a couple.

For "zombies" we would set it up to where the zombie team would have approximately 1 player for every 6-8 players on the opposing team. Zombies can not be eliminated except for a headshot, they can not run, only walk. If your field has a surrender rule, the zombies automatically win the surrender rule if anyone is that close to them. (Think like the zombie 'bites' them.) The other team, the humans, can be eliminated by getting shot anywhere like normal. Once they are eliminated, they proceed to the zombie start gate and join the zombie team. Play until one team wins.

Respawn: Basically like any FPS game, like Call of Duty or Battlefield for example. It also works best if you explain it like CoD to little kids. They might like it more. This is a timed 5 minute match where you have 'infinite' lives. Starts like a normal game, once you've been hit, you return to the dead box/start gate, touch it, and respawn into the game. Keep playing! On bigger groups, I limit how far up the field they can go, like they can not cross the middle of the field until I say 2 minutes left. At that 2 minute mark, no player can respawn anymore. Which ever team is completely eliminated OR the team with the most live players win.

Hope it helps.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 AM #13
GivenRandy

Have to get games started. And split the teams evenly, of course.
GivenRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 AM #14
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenRandy View Post
Have to get games started. And split the teams evenly, of course.
However, you don't end there. You also have to be around so when someone gets hit you can call them out, not to catch cheaters, but if someone stands up you can tell the other players "player hit, let him out."
And expect to get hit, a lot, and you can't get mad. There are times when a newbie will shoot you half a dozen times on impulse just because you happen to be there. You've got to take it with a smile on your face.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:47 PM #15
Dehemotox
Ohana PB

Dehemotox plays in the APPA beginner division
number one thing is safety for us. making sure the customer is always having a good time. mingle with them. its good to have fun here and there with the other refs, but just remember that customers will be watching you, so dont be a jerk (even if jokingly), and watch language. usually the simple things are the most important things.