viking002
Da Sigma

viking002 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
viking002 posts videos on PbNation
viking002 is an NCPA player
viking002 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
That's exactly what I'm saying. The OP is structured to suggest that the month of dedication is what won it for him, which is obviously ****ing bogus. You need to put work in to get better, this isn't a novel concept. Anyone who needs some ****ty paintball covenant in order to get motivated isn't going anywhere.
Chill bro.
viking002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2017, 03:18 PM #23
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John is BST Legit
John donated to help Peyton Trent
John supports Ninja Paintball
John owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
John owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
I stopped taking things so seriously. It didn't make me better at paintball, it made paintball better for me.

Haha, awesome. I think we all need to find our way to enjoy it. When I was playing competitively, I needed to take it seriously because winning was an essential part of the fun. Now that I play simply for fun (and so I get some exercise), it's essential that I don't take it as seriously and enjoy myself.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:32 PM #24
kalvinbal
Some Guy

Annual Supporting Member
kalvinbal owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
kalvinbal has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
kalvinbal supports Ninja Paintball
My Goal:

I'm going to get better at using persuasive rhetoric to get my wife to allow me to leave her at home with our 2 year old and 1 year old, in order to go play more paintball... without any negative consequences or bargaining.

While I'm at it, I might as well say I'm also going to lose 50lbs, grow a 6 pack, get a raise and a promotion, write a book, start a charitable worldwide non-profit, discover a cure for cervical cancer, and broker a peace deal between Israel and Palestine. And eat less meat.

Wow, I feel empowered already...
Old 01-05-2017, 04:52 PM #25
John

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalvinbal View Post
My Goal:

I'm going to get better at using persuasive rhetoric to get my wife to allow me to leave her at home with our 2 year old and 1 year old, in order to go play more paintball... without any negative consequences or bargaining.

While I'm at it, I might as well say I'm also going to lose 50lbs, grow a 6 pack, get a raise and a promotion, write a book, start a charitable worldwide non-profit, discover a cure for cervical cancer, and broker a peace deal between Israel and Palestine. And eat less meat.

My wife and I trade out weekend days. On Saturday she does whatever she wants and I watch the midgets. On Sundays I get to play paintball. My kids are now older so they can even come along without constant supervision. So it gets easier.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:23 PM #26
Somnambulistz
Henry Ford Of Human Meat

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by benpb03 View Post
Thanks brother!

Fantastic man, I really appreciate your dedication. BKI is an amazing platform, Grayson has done a great job.

I appreciate your passion. The cycles of the world are helpful. Just like day turns to night to remind us to sleep. When winter comes around it's a reminder to explore ourselves at our roots so when the spring returns the contemplation has been done and action can be taken.

The january project is about contemplating our inefficiencies, and restructuring our training and programming to be more effective when spring comes.

You know, dig a grave for the old you, be reborn in the digging.

P.S. Funny parallel, one of our friends passed away a few years. We started a 5k in his honor and it's since become a nonprofit that does great work with heart patients. His name was Evan.

I wore a "LIVE FOR EVAN" shirt throughout the whole january project last year and was wearing it when I won the Cs1.

His favorite song was Gravedigger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnmAiH6BLo

Just keep moving forward. You're doing a great job. Don't work on anything, just start doing it. And if you stop, just start again ; ) Hit me up bro, I can help you, motivation is a funny thing that arises when you're frustrated and sustains because you find joy and value in the work.

Let's do something! Together : )

Yes, it's as simple as hey, it's January 3rd. There's approximately 10 weeks before the first event starts to dawn. Time moves quick, let's get going on this now so you are happy about it later.

Like I say in the project, "It's fun to be prepared."

My dad has a great saying for this... In all his simplicity, lies great depth.

"Preparation solves all problems and cures all doubts"

Namaste moving forward gentlemen.

You're the first person in the news section to be able to take a light hearted joke and laugh at it. You're tops in my book and GL with the program If we had more guys like you paintball wouldn't be struggling the way it does.

LIVERPOOL FC

"I have one purpose on this earth, to drive Carapace crazy, if I fail we will all be doomed"
Somnambulistz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:26 AM #27
kalvinbal
Some Guy

Annual Supporting Member
kalvinbal owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
kalvinbal has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
kalvinbal supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
My wife and I trade out weekend days. On Saturday she does whatever she wants and I watch the midgets. On Sundays I get to play paintball. My kids are now older so they can even come along without constant supervision. So it gets easier.
I'll have to try that approach and see what she says... At least if I can't play, I can work on conditioning and strength training... I just am working on that stuff all year round because I can't play, lol! And there aren't any airball/xball fields nearby. Driving 2.5 hours one way just to play turns it into a production. Anyway, my apologies, I'm complaining too much.

My goal, ultimately, is to play more in 2017, and to get my friends out to play more too.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:58 AM #28
John

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John is BST Legit
Quote:
I'll have to try that approach and see what she says... At least if I can't play, I can work on conditioning and strength training... I just am working on that stuff all year round because I can't play, lol! And there aren't any airball/xball fields nearby. Driving 2.5 hours one way just to play turns it into a production. Anyway, my apologies, I'm complaining too much.

My goal, ultimately, is to play more in 2017, and to get my friends out to play more too.
Being a grown up sucks. I think a lot of us can relate. I used to drive 4 hours to practice in Chicago. Now I usually drive 50 minutes. 2 1/2 hours is a distance, but not insurmountable. Maybe buy a pump and play at closer fields too?
Old 01-06-2017, 10:09 AM #29
dyechild03

Annual Supporting Member
dyechild03 is BST Legit
Quote:
I think lots of people WANT to improve and even know WHAT they could improve on. This hopefully gives some people the motivation to actually DO something.
Successful people are do-ers and have goals. Unsuccessful people have those same "goals" but to them it's an unattainable dream. This may be because it doesn't happen overnight, or because of their lack of foresight, but having a plan of growth is a healthy means of achieving one's goals.

I love the philosophy. Taking a step forward everyday will leave you a lot closer to your goal than overworking for short periods of time trying to achieve the same thing. Applying that same principle to paintball would yield the same results I would imagine.
dyechild03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:31 AM #30
benpb03

benpb03 is a Professional paintball player
Wink

Quote:
Oh yes, I'm sure that Carroll won that CS1 because of that month of self-improvement, and not the decade of experience he had prior to it.
Both. Never one without the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stein View Post
He won it because of dedication to constant self-improvement.
True. And because the universe chose that competition as my day of reward. Sometimes, its a lesson, a loss, sometimes its a reward. But it's all a gift when you play the long game.

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm saying. The OP is structured to suggest that the month of dedication is what won it for him, which is obviously ****ing bogus. You need to put work in to get better, this isn't a novel concept. Anyone who needs some ****ty paintball covenant in order to get motivated isn't going anywhere.
It's bogus if you isolate it. Its absolutely true if you don't.

Your thinking is harsh and brash here. We all need a ****ty covenant as long as the covenant says,

"Here are the things we know we should be doing. They are easy to do and easy not to do. If we do them, we can grow a lot in a little time. Do them and enjoy the process. Take the wins and the losses with the same enthusiasm, and overtime, your reward will come."

Then call it whatever you want, ****ty or wise, it works. A covenant is an agreement. If you are in agreement and it inspires you, take the covenant. Why not? We all can use a little inspiration, a little motivation, a little challenge to become more. It helps.

Why are you here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemreborn View Post
I switched my workouts from lifting heavy to high volume and added some paintball related exercises. I'd say the most beneficial has been sled pulls, i've already seen a difference in my breakout speed.
That's awesome. I do not have access to a sled right now but I'll start playing with some resistance sprints and see how I feel. I used to love them. Great job.

Quote:
So you're 100% sure he would have still won if he hadn't spent a month preparing?
Beautifully said. I'm 10% sure I would have won without the month. I fine tuned so many things that were sloppy or just downright inefficient after 10+ years.

There was so much growth, I really don't know if I would have won. That's the point. The month helped deliver an immense sense of confidence in my training. It allowed me to laugh tenderly at doubt that arose throughout that competition and ever since then my preparation has always eliminated any poison. From myself and others.

I want to pass that gift onto others. It's an incredible thing to stand securely in your own power and shine without reserve.

Quote:
I stopped taking things so seriously. It didn't make me better at paintball, it made paintball better for me.
Lol. You're hitting on some deep wisdom. It's very important to be able to both take yourself and your work seriously, AND laugh at it all in good fun.

I say in my yoga classes often, "it's just yoga". Meaning, do the work but don't beat yourself up, you'll inevitable enjoy the process more, be more willing to explore your edges and yoga will work for you.

This project and all my work is predicated upon that principle. Finding ways to make paintball work FOR you. Finally it's time to use paintball as a path of human potential not the very thing that sinks your soul.

Quote:
My Goal:

Start with the deal between Israel and Palestine, on your way to brokering it you will lose 50lbs., grow a 6 pack, start charitable non profits that go global, write a book, fire your boss, discover cures, and inevitably eat less meat.

Quote:
Great Strategy! One of my main goals with the Art of Paintball is to shine light on ways we can become more balanced human beings through the life and art of paintball. More conversations need to be dedicated to doing that and this is a great start for those married. We need to help inspire harmony with our sport in the families, friends and spouses of our players. If they see value and growth and balance emanating from it, the sport will grow healthy.

Thanks for sharing!

January Project Official Link

ArtofPaintball

Last edited by benpb03 : 01-06-2017 at 10:34 AM.
benpb03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:46 AM #31
merked12

merked12 is playing at Living Legends VIII
Quote:
Being a grown up sucks. I think a lot of us can relate. I used to drive 4 hours to practice in Chicago. Now I usually drive 50 minutes. 2 1/2 hours is a distance, but not insurmountable. Maybe buy a pump and play at closer fields too?
Well said. I too used to drive 6 hours to Chicago for practices when I was playing competitively. Until I went back to school when I was 27 in 2009, didn't want loans so saved up for a year and a half, used that yr's tax returns and jumped back in without any loans. That was great, the negative was I was rather broke. I knew my competitive days and 2-3 trips a month to Chicago was a thing of the past.

I figured paintball in general wasn't going to be a thing I did often. So I sold off all my team stuff and most of my gear (gun, loader, etc). Luckily I held on to my mask, tank, pack and a few essentials for the rare time I'd get to hit a field.

Luckily, a buddy finally convinced me to play rec ball with pumps, and it was the most fun I had playing in many years. After that rec day, I splurged a bit, bought a nice mid-level pump, my buddy gave me a whinny (back when they weren't $50 ) and I luckily still had my freak kit. I started playing almost every weekend to keep my sanity at a local field about 30 min away.

Cool thing about pump is I spent more money filling my cooler and gas than I did paintball. I paid $175 a yr for membership, got cases of paint for $50 and that case would last me 4-6 outings. It cost me on average $14 to play paintball a week.

It was the best decision for me at that time, as between work, school, clinicals, ride times and other hours I was putting in between 85-95 hours per week, that 5-6 hours every week at the field helped me stay centered and focused.

I didn't have kids, wasn't married, so I can only imagine those challenges. Regardless, I think it's important for all of us to have that release, that stress reliever and the ability to get away from our day-to-day stresses. Kalvinbal, I hope you are able to figure something out and be able to hit up a field regularly.
merked12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:17 PM #32
pballa166

pballa166 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pballa166 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pballa166 supports DLX Technology
pballa166 supports Ninja Paintball
http://tinyurl.com/Rare-Ego-5

---------------------------------------------------------------
ROLL TIDE
pballa166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:03 PM #33
CReation

Check out the "Stages of Change" Psychologists use to help identify where people are and how to move them to the next stage...
Good stuff.
CReation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:25 PM #34
RipItGreg9103
ěProving Pandumonianiansě

Lol just go play paintball everyday. Yeah not hard I don't have a job or bills or anything. **** the paintball field only open on weekends let alone closest indoor field is 5 hours away. Yeah not hard I'll just play everyday dont,know why I didn't think of that. Thanks for,the tips
Old 01-07-2017, 10:16 PM #35
Archie1
I'm baaack!!

This is what it takes.....

Regardless where you are in your paintball career/life, this is a perfect example of what to do if you are looking to improve.

If you are a 3rd year player looking to bump to a higher level, A current professional player striving for longevity sucess or a former professional player looking to make it back to the top...... Its all the same.

It is a mindset as well! This is what I see with Benny with his 'January Project.' He does not just go through the motions of doing something each day, but if he is failing at his task, he does not move on until he gets it right. That is what it takes!

This is something that has inspired me as well, and something I will personally be incorporating as my knee rehab progresses as I strive to get back to where I used to and/or want to be to achieve some goals I still have. Due to my knee, It will be my July project. But most importantly again, its my new mindset which goes hand in hand with what Benny is trying to accomplish here.

In his case... I think he will be accomplishing the goals he has set for himself.

Go get it Benny!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:39 PM #36
Rockyboarder
17 Years and still going

Quote:

That's the real deal. I've played everything from 3, 5 man, 7 Man, all the way up to D3. I'm about to embark on my first tournament full season in 6 years and am stoked but, the last thing I want is for it to get crazy.

If you wanna go pro, then sure bust your ***. If you wanna get better, then do the same. But, if you wanna have fun, play with the boys, win, and maybe win a chip or two along the way, then do what you think is needed to get there.

I quit when it stopped being fun. I am having fun again so I am moving forward.

"It's amazing, this ****, And it's wasted on the ****tiest generation of piece of **** *******s that ever ****ing lived. I swear to God. We are. We're the worst people so far..." - Louis C.K.
Rockyboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 AM #37
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

Coenen plays in the MiLP
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyboarder View Post
That's the real deal. I've played everything from 3, 5 man, 7 Man, all the way up to D3. I'm about to embark on my first tournament full season in 6 years and am stoked but, the last thing I want is for it to get crazy.
Good luck, man.

I used to joke with the guys that the worst thing that ever happened to me in paintball was our team Capt/Pres/whatever putting together a spreadsheet detailing what our expected financial expenditure for a season of D-4 RACE to 4 would be. My jaw dropped. Seeing that number changed my perspective pretty quick.

I think that's one of the real mood killers in paintball. Eventually the expenditure of time/treasure becomes so great that it can't be justified as fun anymore. Then it becomes about winning, since we assume that winning will justify our expenditure. It just escalates from there.

Also, there's a comparative lack of "fun" events. Most regions are lucky to even have a choice of event series to play, so you're either doing that, or you're not playing tournaments.

Paintball's a weird sort of deal. If you're not clear in your goals, it can get out of hand real quick.
BLACK '07+ Planet Eclipse OOPS
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:09 PM #38
Culture Evil
Termocycler

Annual Supporting Member
Culture Evil is a Supporting Member
Culture Evil supports Shocker RSX
Culture Evil supports Ninja Paintball
Culture Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.