PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 PM #64
hedgehogsforprez

hedgehogsforprez is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
That's alright, we've had a lot of rain but they are having to build a berm in the mississippi river because it's so low its about to let salt water into the lower parishes. (al gore voice) must be global warming.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2012, 05:13 PM #65
surge101
word

surge101 supports Shocker RSX
In the keys tonight, headed to the boat in a few mins and try my luck.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:46 PM #66
ikilledkenny
Noob forum OT OG

ikilledkenny is a Supporting Member
ikilledkenny donated to help Peyton Trent
ikilledkenny is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
ikilledkenny is Immortal
Im kinda disappointed in myself...spent a week down the shore and didn't go fishing once. Spent the week drinking and chilling with friends instead.
But the crabbing was good...

Edit:
Did manage to get the throw net out and catch some peanut bunker. Caught about 50. Should be enough to last me a while.
R.I.P Harbinger[TG] 12/16/02 - 4/18/08 (permed)

Last edited by ikilledkenny : 08-20-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM #67
surge101
word

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge101 View Post
In the keys tonight, headed to the boat in a few mins and try my luck.
update, the boat was decent. Caught three keeper mangroves, a big margate, a real big trigger, strawberry grouper, and a bunch of grunt. Came 2nd in the money pool for biggest fish, the kid that came in 1st couldn't pull his fish in and I pulled it in for him... yeah. Anyways, went out on the bridge the next day and caught a bunch of nurse and hammerhead sharks. This isn't the biggest one hooked, but the biggest one landed.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 PM #68
surge101
word

Went out on the boat last night, wasn't too bad... 2 keeper mangroves, a ****load of grunt I just gave to other people, and some trash fish. What irks me is I had 4 BIG hook ups using goggle eyes on the bottom... all broke off. 2 of the 3 times the leader came up all twisty, which means, the knot on the hook slipped. How I ****ed up the knots... TWICE. I don't ****ing know. The other two times my 40lb leader simply broke.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 PM #69
bam wannabe
i actually hate Bam.

bam wannabe helped look for balloons
bam wannabe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
think it could have been dem dere grouper?

i haven't been doing much fishing. though i hear fish are everywhere in my area right now. work and slowly moving into a new house have been taking up all my time. (parents out-right bought a smaller house and let our old one go into short sale. ****ing economy.)

that tropical storm should be hitting us this weekend and will most likely be a hurricane when it hits. crap.
but on the plus side, snook season will open again in just over a week. hell yes. my friend also went out on his boat last week and wrecked the bonito. we're set on baits for a while. now if only i had time to fish.

pbreview feedback
old pbnation feedback

XBL gamertag: lazy ninja PBN
Old 08-22-2012, 11:21 PM #70
surge101
word

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam wannabe View Post
think it could have been dem dere grouper?

i haven't been doing much fishing. though i hear fish are everywhere in my area right now. work and slowly moving into a new house have been taking up all my time. (parents out-right bought a smaller house and let our old one go into short sale. ****ing economy.)

that tropical storm should be hitting us this weekend and will most likely be a hurricane when it hits. crap.
but on the plus side, snook season will open again in just over a week. hell yes. my friend also went out on his boat last week and wrecked the bonito. we're set on baits for a while. now if only i had time to fish.
Hoping for grouper, but shortly after, a few big amberjacks came up, so might have been some of them. I like when the trop storms come through, fishing is usually decent afterwards.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 PM #71
surge101
word

Quit my job today. Going fishing tomorrow, drift trip.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 PM #72
atomicbadgerman
bewb

Fishing is ****ing dead here. Water is too warm for even the flounder to be biting. Everything is waaaay off shore.

Current Car: Centrifugally Turbo-charged 2008 V4 ford.

Also, I have a stock Maxima. It runs 12's
Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 AM #73
imhungry (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbadgerman View Post
Fishing is ****ing dead here. Water is too warm for even the flounder to be biting. Everything is waaaay off shore.
saaaame. this week has been a lot cooler and i have heard reports of steelhead already grouping up at the mouths of some of the rivers in lake erie. very odd considering how hot it has been, they must know something we dont (ie probably going to get reamed this winter). last year's steelhead run(s) were amazing, hoping for a nice repeat of that.

bass bite has been so-so. i have only been catching them when its dark with minimal bites at dusk/dawn
Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 PM #74
Corrupt_Paintball

Corrupt_Paintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Man, I've been killing them here. Drop shotting in brush has been catching me a bunch the last few weeks.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:09 PM #75
imhungry (Banned)

i have not done much drop shotting and finesse fishing latel. ive actually had the most success with football heads and a yum craw thumping it then working it like a shakey head. i will probably do a little drop shotting if we go to west branch this weekend (in which case i will be more inclined to fish for musky/pike) and hopefully some flipping around the pilons of some lake erie marinas

also, trying to find a used sit on top fishing kayak around here has been completely futile. i am about to say screw it and drop a grand on a new Wilderness model.

Last edited by imhungry : 08-30-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 PM #76
maxearing

maxearing has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
how am i supposed to set a circle hook in a shark? i have been just tightening down the drag on them, but i lost a few last trip.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:38 AM #77
Corrupt_Paintball

That is how we have been doing it. The few trips we have taken, we used the big 20/0 circles and it seemed to set pretty well almost every time. We had a few pick ups that we didn't catch, but I think most of the time they shark just bit the bait in half and totally missed the hook.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 AM #78
surge101
word

Went out on a couple boats yesterday, caught 4 muttons, 2 strawberry groupers, couple of yellowtail and mangrove snappers... considering I fished for around 8 hours, that kind of sucks, but whatever. You know what else sucks? I'm sitting in between classes right now on campus, and I had a long enough break to roam around, and my campus is right on biscayne bay in miami, there are snook rolling on by as I type this, no fishing allowed on campus.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:49 PM #79
bam wannabe
i actually hate Bam.

bam wannabe helped look for balloons
bam wannabe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxearing View Post
how am i supposed to set a circle hook in a shark? i have been just tightening down the drag on them, but i lost a few last trip.
that's basically how you do it. you CAN try to actually set the hook, but only after you feel the pressure of it hooking the shark when you tighten the drag. that's only to really make sure it hooks him well.
but like i said in here before, i hardly ever use circle hooks. so hell if i know what i'm saying is logical.

snook season opens at midnight. plus it's a full moon... oh god yes.

pbreview feedback
old pbnation feedback

XBL gamertag: lazy ninja PBN
Old 09-01-2012, 01:35 AM #80
surge101
word

I use circle hooks 90% of the time for all my fishing, and its always the easiest with sharks. I've never had to set the hook, they always set themselves.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:34 PM #81
surge101
word

Went back out on the boat last night from 1am-7am. Muttons, Mangroves, Yellowtails, and a big cuda. I got a really big hook up that cut the leader by the hook knot. Still waiting to pull up that REALLY big catch offshore. All of my biggest catches are still sharks and tarpon that i've caught inshore.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:38 PM #82
maxearing

maxearing has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I caught a 64 inch black tip today. It had 3 hooks in it and it was beaten up pretty bad. 2 of the hooks were in its mouth and one was at the base of his dorsal fin.

Legalize
Old 09-03-2012, 02:31 PM #83
surge101
word

Anyone care to give me some suggestions on a vertical jigging set up?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:38 AM #84
Corrupt_Paintball

I could give you a suggestion, but you know more about it than I do :-)

We just got in a bunch of Medlock Jigs for the little tackle site my wife and I run. I've never seen one in person before, and man this thing is wicked.