Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-21-2011, 03:04 PM #1072
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by killajay2014 View Post
Hey I just got a quick question...how much does a photographer charge to shoot some action shots of guys practicing?
Quote:
I'm not charging..I just want to know what you guys charge for an event in general
?
Cmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2011, 03:18 PM #1073
killajay2014
Your De Best!!!

killajay2014 donated to help Peyton Trent
killajay2014 supports our troops
killajay2014 is Legendary
killajay2014 supports DLX Technology
I Sent you a message being that you Are local to
Me...figured you could have gave me an answer but I see it's a problem for you to do that...so that's why I asked here...or am I not suppose to ask questions here either?

Edit...let me clarify for the people who need things to be correct..."how much does a photographer charge for taking photos...weather it be practice or tourney"?

Last edited by killajay2014 : 08-21-2011 at 03:22 PM.
killajay2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:36 PM #1074
IplayforRelentless
Quit changing my avatar!

IplayforRelentless is BST Trusted
IplayforRelentless is a Paintball photographer
IplayforRelentless supports our troops
IplayforRelentless is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
IplayforRelentless is attending Decay of Nations VI
Charge what you think your work is worth, but be realistic about it. An OOF set of photos isn't worth over $50+.
"Originally posted by -|2ain: Ima kill Dieing to live when he gets back! THEY MADE ME DO A RECTAL EXAM!!!! A ****ING RECTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!"
"Originally posted by tremis: I love the self righteousness of the photographers with the claim that they "created" a photograph. Delusional at all? The law may ignorantly side with the photographer, but the subject has done the vast majority of the work and they dont get any credit/royalties."
I take hipster photos on Instagram - @hobbesthetiger
NJ Devils MN Wild MN Twins Chi Cubs IA Hawkeyes
IplayforRelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:15 PM #1075
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Auctionjunkie! is a Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is a founding member
Auctionjunkie! is a Paintball photographer
Auctionjunkie! posts videos on PbNation
Auctionjunkie! is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
I Sent you a message being that you Are local to
Me...figured you could have gave me an answer but I see it's a problem for you to do that...so that's why I asked here...or am I not suppose to ask questions here either?

Edit...let me clarify for the people who need things to be correct..."how much does a photographer charge for taking photos...weather it be practice or tourney"?
A lot depends on the quality of your work. The weather does have an impact but you would need to deal with that on a case by case basis. Generally teams don't pay for practice. It's not anything worthwhile to them as far as pictures. During events when they are "going for the gold" is when they want pictures. However practice is a good time to build up your skills and portfolio. It's the time you try that new lens or that weird angle you've been thinking about.
To gather more information on prices for event photography look through the different tournament forums on here and see what known photographers are charging. Only bonafide photographers are allowed to advertise here without having a specific BST thread in the services forum. Look at what they charge and the quality of their work. If your work is the same charge the same. If it's better then charge more. If it's not quite as good I suggest practicing more and getting better. You may have to give away some copies to gain access to a field. A lot of the field owners like to have the pictures to promote their field online as well as in any flyers they generate.
You might also look into scenario photography. I've made a lot of money over the years from scenario players and teams. I've even gotten some bucks and entries from field owners and event promoters. Understand that regardless of what you shoot if your quality is sub-par regardless of the reason you won't be able to sell anything. Quality over quantity is a rule that definitely pertains to photography.
Dan
Auctionjunkie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 PM #1076
jcrazyjj

i need a camera for college as its required for my major and ive always wanted one but never really had a reason or the money. what does everyone think of this? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/wl/41D11E8F84
Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM #1077
Striker9

Save yourself a few dollars and go without the lens cleaning kit and the extra battery.
Striker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 PM #1078
becker
butt scratcha?!?

Also, check Craigs, BH, Adorama, Keh, etc. for used equipment. You can save mad amounts of money.
PhotoMob
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 PM #1079
xander2188

xander2188 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
xander2188 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrazyjj View Post
i need a camera for college as its required for my major and ive always wanted one but never really had a reason or the money. what does everyone think of this? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/wl/41D11E8F84
That is a perfectly fine camera. If you give me more info about your major or any requirements that they have I can give you better advice.

But that bag is not worth the money. I have had tamrac bags before and have never been thrilled, I had one like that and ended up selling it. I prefer kata and lowepro bags. But right now I just throw my gear into a timbuk2 messenger bag. With how small your kit is, I wouldn't bother getting some huge photo bag, when you could get a small bag to carry it in, or even just throw it in a normal bag.

There is nothing wrong with the tripod, but unless you need one, imo you are better off putting that money into a lens or a flash or something. I rarely ever use a tripod for photo, but that is just me.
xander2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:08 PM #1080
PaintedSaint
lsdpsilocybinmarijuanadmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander2188 View Post
That is a perfectly fine camera. If you give me more info about your major or any requirements that they have I can give you better advice.

But that bag is not worth the money. I have had tamrac bags before and have never been thrilled, I had one like that and ended up selling it. I prefer kata and lowepro bags. But right now I just throw my gear into a timbuk2 messenger bag. With how small your kit is, I wouldn't bother getting some huge photo bag, when you could get a small bag to carry it in, or even just throw it in a normal bag.

There is nothing wrong with the tripod, but unless you need one, imo you are better off putting that money into a lens or a flash or something. I rarely ever use a tripod for photo, but that is just me.
Id keep the tripod, it allows for more experimentation I think.

As for the bag, yea xander is spot on specially with the nifty fifty, you can throw ur cam and that lens into just about any bag an they will be fine, both are tanks and can take alot heavier beating than they will ever get in your backpack.
blog.
PaintedSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:33 PM #1081
jcrazyjj

I want the tripod to do night photography and long exposure stuff, the camera backpack is because i don't want to carry around my school backpack, with my laptop and small books and an additional camera bag. if i can fit it all in here, then awesome. also, a couple people recommended the remote shutter release, how often am i really gonna use that?

Last edited by jcrazyjj : 08-22-2011 at 08:55 PM.
jcrazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 PM #1082
PaintedSaint

wireless you might use, wired most likely never.
blog.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 PM #1083
jcrazyjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedSaint View Post
wireless you might use, wired most likely never.
wouldnt using the timer give me the same effect?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 PM #1084
PaintedSaint

depends how far you can run in 10 seconds and what youll look like when you get there
blog.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:25 AM #1085
HelenOster
Adorama Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by becker View Post
Also, check Craigs, BH, Adorama, Keh, etc. for used equipment. You can save mad amounts of money.
Thanks for the Adorama Camera recommendation - very much appreciated!

BTW, I'm only ever an email away for advice or after-sales support with any order from Adorama: Helen@adorama.com
HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:06 AM #1086
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Auctionjunkie! is a Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is a founding member
Auctionjunkie! is a Paintball photographer
Auctionjunkie! posts videos on PbNation
Auctionjunkie! is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
Thanks for the Adorama Camera recommendation - very much appreciated!

BTW, I'm only ever an email away for advice or after-sales support with any order from Adorama: Helen@adorama.com
Further proof that when you say her name or the store's name Helen magically shows up!

Dan
Auctionjunkie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:34 PM #1087
aznboy6598

aznboy6598 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
aznboy6598 is an NCPA player
aznboy6598 plays in the APPA beginner division
So a few months ago I accidentally dropped my camera and it landed on the lens. My 50mm was completely trashed but I was able to put the focus screen back on when it fell out. I feel like there's probably something else that happened to the camera when it hit the ground that I don't know about, but the only thing bugging me right now is the autofocus isn't working. One of the lens mount contact pins is completely stuck inside and won't pop back up. My 18-55mm shot fine (besides getting error99 occasionally), but my Sigma 70-200mm isn't working at all. I tried to pop the pin back up, but it just went a little deeper into the lens mount and now autofocus won't work for either lens. I'm not going to try to open the camera up, and sending it off to Canon is a last resort for a broke college student. Does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to fix this problem?

Penn State Nittany Lions
aznboy6598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 PM #1088
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

What kind of camera is it? Your best bet regardless is just sending it off to Canon.
Cmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:47 PM #1089
b_ron
photo

b_ron helped look for balloons
b_ron owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
b_ron is an NCPA player
b_ron plays in the APPA beginner division
Unless its a cheaper older dslr where just buying a new body would be a better option

| photo |

RIP ABC. It's been a fun 17 threads.
b_ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 PM #1090
qu1cks1lver56
Me llamo Patrick

I need a good tripod that won't break the bank. Manfrotto or the like. Camera that'll be on it is a D70 with a SB-600 flash. Eventually gonna buy a D300 though.

suggestions?
hi
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 PM #1091
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
Little_PB_Newb plays in the APPA beginner division
what's "breaking the bank" for you? Because I can recommend one that will work for <150, one that will work well for <300, and one that will blow you away and last you a life time for over 500.
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 PM #1092
qu1cks1lver56
Me llamo Patrick

haha, good point. Less than $150, please.
hi
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote