PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-14-2007, 02:06 AM #1
aquabat0587

has been a member for 10 years
which ram to get?

Hey guys I got a new super stock like a week ago and there is a leak coming from the ram. Where the cocking rod enters the ram is where air is coming out. Is this an easy for me to do or should I just buy a better ram?

I was looking at the Worr STO ram, nexxus (too expensive), ANS ram, and shoktech ram. I dont know which one is the best but they all are around the same price. Please help me out.

Thanks
aquabat0587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2007, 07:02 AM #2
Iram
Part time grammar nazi

I wouldn't bother with a new STO ram, and the Shocktech is about the same.

The Planet Eclipse rams (nexus, etc.) were all made by Belsales and just rebranded and milled with an "e" on the side. If you look up the Belsales ram, it's the same performance without the hype and high price. I have one and it works well. http://www.compulsivepaintball.com/s...asp?cc=AutRams

As for your leaking ram, try removing the rear barb, adding some thread sealer (teflon tape), and then putting it back onto the ram.

EDIT: If it's a NEW superstock, leaking right out of the box, it's time to send that back. There's no reason you should have to buy a new ram. You were shipped a defective product. WGP may be willing to work with you and replace it for free, and if not, that should be going back to the reseller. You should probably call the reseller immediately to let them know about the problem and see how they want to handle it. Unless the seller specifically told you the ram was bad (or something to that effect), they should be fixing it for you. If you've never done a ram replacement, keep in mind that removing the pump arm from the ram shaft is probably one of the hardest things in paintball.

My biggest complaint about paintball is dealers who think that since they usually deal with kids, they can try to screw over there customers without any consequences.

My second biggest complaint is kids that let the stores get away with it...

Last edited by Iram : 10-14-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Iram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:25 AM #3
panther1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iram View Post
I wouldn't bother with a new STO ram, and the Shocktech is about the same.

The Planet Eclipse rams (nexus, etc.) were all made by Belsales and just rebranded and milled with an "e" on the side. If you look up the Belsales ram, it's the same performance without the hype and high price. I have one and it works well. http://www.compulsivepaintball.com/s...asp?cc=AutRams

As for your leaking ram, try removing the rear barb, adding some thread sealer (teflon tape), and then putting it back onto the ram.

EDIT: If it's a NEW superstock, leaking right out of the box, it's time to send that back. There's no reason you should have to buy a new ram. You were shipped a defective product. WGP may be willing to work with you and replace it for free, and if not, that should be going back to the reseller. You should probably call the reseller immediately to let them know about the problem and see how they want to handle it. Unless the seller specifically told you the ram was bad (or something to that effect), they should be fixing it for you. If you've never done a ram replacement, keep in mind that removing the pump arm from the ram shaft is probably one of the hardest things in paintball.

My biggest complaint about paintball is dealers who think that since they usually deal with kids, they can try to screw over there customers without any consequences.

My second biggest complaint is kids that let the stores get away with it...
nicely put
panther1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:42 AM #4
vantrepes
The voices say I'm normal

vantrepes is a founding member
Or, for the less money, you can get an MPP ram, with QEVs. At least then, you won't have to stock up on piston seals
{Yes, I am biased as all hell, take it with a grain of salt}
vantrepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 AM #5
Godmachine
Meowbert

Belsales Evo Ram is very nice.

PSN: RedBreeze
Godmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:12 AM #6
The Insane Shane

I can easily get a nexus ram for 55-60 bucks thats not to expensive.
The Insane Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:07 PM #7
RavagersTC
USMC If it moves, kill it

RavagersTC owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Insane Shane View Post
I can easily get a nexus ram for 55-60 bucks thats not to expensive.
Maybe not to you, but keep in mind not everyone has the same budget.

As far as a new ram goes, you should get one anyways. Nexus, belsales, freeflow/MPP/SMC are all good brands. All 3 are fast and will lower your cocking pressure so that the likelihood of a chop is even less. It's hard to describe a build for a custom cocker and not include one of those.
Camp Pendleton Tournament Park
Proud POW/MIA Fade Geo owner
"Originally posted by Dk-79: This turtle ate the entire corpse, he understands the golden rule of taking a life... Why can't you?"
RavagersTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:27 PM #8
MrZucchiniHead
My avvy lies, its not new

i've heard ANS ram is the best/one of the best, and it's only $30 on ansgear.com, never had any experience with it though
Old 10-14-2007, 05:10 PM #9
Redline SRT4

If it was leaking from the factory, I agree that you should send it back. You paid for a gun that works, not leaks. As far as rams go, Im partial to anything ans since most of my guns are ans, but nexus/besales rams are great as well. Most other rams are just sto rams with a different name.

][ Mini Owner
Feedback
Redline SRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:27 PM #10
RavagersTC

The ANS ram is good for achieving high cps, it's rated at the highest. However, it isn't as smooth and won't lower your pressure up front like the others.
Camp Pendleton Tournament Park
Proud POW/MIA Fade Geo owner
"Originally posted by Dk-79: This turtle ate the entire corpse, he understands the golden rule of taking a life... Why can't you?"
RavagersTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:10 PM #11
Mike Zamarocy

1) As Iram said, it ticks me off too, that stores get away with things like this! But on the other hand, we can't leave the manufacturer out of this either, cause it *could* be possible that if at walk in store, they never opened up the box and so didn't even know it had problems, or sometimes online stores might not have even seen the product, just had it dropped shipped direct or through a distribution center. But I for one, if buying at a local store, would definately want to try it out first before paying for it and walking out the door. That is why I still prefer to 90% support my local store - being old school, I still want to see, touch, feel, and test out things before I buy them. You can't do that online, and to have to RMA and ship back & forth is a real PITA.

2) But then on the other hand, the ram is one of the most replaced items on the Cocker, so most likely you would have wanted an aftermarket one anyway. This just made your decision a bit faster. And as the others have said, ANS or Belsales would be the best choices. There was another post about this item, and someone posted a very informative bit of info on the differences between the 44mag and the ans, which led me to choose the 44mag. Do a search and read it, it helped me. Not sure if it was on this forum, or the regular Cocker forum here though (am old, kept my hair, but lost some memory LOL).

Now another thought - recently I had bought a Jeff Orr LE Cocker. It has the MP4 ram on it. Not sure if yours is the same or not, but when I went to use it at the field and had to adjust the tickler LPR, my ram began to leak. It was the side hole closest to the block. Took it to the local store a few miles away, and the guy there knew exactly what it was. He said sometimes dirt or debris during assembly got inside the ram, and all he did was blow some high pressure air at the hole (DO NOT put a tube into the hole, could ruin it), and now it works just fine. He used his tank with a hose to do this, but you could probably use one of those computer "duster" cans as well.
Mike Zamarocy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:25 PM #12
dbkid0486

save up money and buy a belsales/eclipse and devastator sells them for 50 too for 55-60 its worth it

ClosedBoltBallers
dbkid0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 PM #13
Redline SRT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavagersTC View Post
The ANS ram is good for achieving high cps, it's rated at the highest. However, it isn't as smooth and won't lower your pressure up front like the others.
Thats what I was going for since he is putting it on a superstock.

][ Mini Owner
Feedback
Redline SRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:19 PM #14
RavagersTC

I suppose for the gun it's acceptable. I know that if I were to build my own gun I wouldn't use one because I'd want the lowest cocking pressure possible. Besides, the cps difference is negligible. All of the rams listed will cycle faster than any human can pull a trigger. The only difference is how smooth it will be.