Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-25-2014, 05:22 PM #1
guygrim

Tournament Marker

I am looking to buy a new marker.. 3rd year in the sport and I am currently using a 2012 Proto Reflex Rail. I am looking to buy a new speedball gun in the $700 - $900. So I am considering Ego 11 or Axe Pro / Axe LE. On the very high far end perhaps a BL G6R OR GEO 3.0.

I would really like you opinions.

Please note… I do not want to buy USED..
guygrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2014, 07:46 PM #2
smokefools66
Overkill is underrated

has been a member for 10 years
smokefools66 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
smokefools66 supports Team VICIOUS
smokefools66 supports Ninja Paintball
smokefools66 supports Empire
It may not be out right now, but check out the J4 Torque.

smokefools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:32 PM #3
outkast1311

plays in the NXL
outkast1311 is an NCPA player
outkast1311 plays in the APPA D4 division
J4 torque
outkast1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:57 PM #4
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Quote:
Originally Posted by guygrim View Post
I am looking to buy a new marker.. 3rd year in the sport and I am currently using a 2012 Proto Reflex Rail. I am looking to buy a new speedball gun in the $700 - $900. So I am considering Ego 11 or Axe Pro / Axe LE. On the very high far end perhaps a BL G6R OR GEO 3.0.

Ok fortunately I have experience with all of these markers. All of them are extremely well suited for tournament play and will hold up to anything you put them through. Here are my thoughts.

The Axe LE: Save your money and just get an axe. You can always add things to it as you require down the line. The exception to this would be if you view the items included on the LE as must haves.

Axe: Very reliable and very affordable marker. Ergonomics on this gun are excellent and the shot feel is pretty good too. The warranty is top notch. My downside for this gun is it is a bit more difficult to get to the eyes if you break paint during a day of play and the regulator is not user-serviceable. The stock barrel is also on the short end of what I prefer. Obviously this is also the most affordable of the guns you listed if you are buying brand new.

G6R: Best stack tube poppet I have used (the LV1 is smoother but not quite as efficient). It is both super efficient and super smooth. I also had great reliability with it with 3 years of ownership. The only downside I can maybe think of with it is that you do need to keep the pressures in the proper ranges (a 1-2 minute job after regulator maintenance).

Geo 3: My current marker and current favorite. I love the ergonomics of it and personally prefer single tubed markers. It can go a pretty long time without maintenance for a spool gun and is just super simple to work on. Probably the smoothest shooting gun of the bunch (there are other spools smoother though). It also has the very excellent pops asa, board, and trigger adjustment that Eclipse is known for. A downside is it is probably the least air efficient out of the guns you listed but I can still get 8-9 pods of a fill.

Ego 11: Great gun if you want super super low maintenance (as in I basically never maintain my stuff) and decent overall performance. Not quite as nice of a shooting gun as the G6R and also not quite as efficient. It is still a really great shooter though and a solid performer all around. The board and on/off are nicer on this gun than on the G6R and you also have the benefit of not needing to adjust the regulator pressures with a reg tester. Second most efficient of the guns you listed.

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 03-25-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 PM #5
XxJKATxX
Legit As They Come

plays in the NXL
XxJKATxX owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
XxJKATxX supports Team VICIOUS
XxJKATxX is an NCPA National Champion
XxJKATxX has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
XxJKATxX owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
Ok fortunately I have experience with all of these markers. Here are my thoughts.

The Axe LE: Save your money and just get an axe. You can always add things to it as you require down the line. The exception to this would be if you view the items included on the LE as must haves.

Axe: Very reliable and very affordable marker. Ergonomics on this gun are excellent and the shot feel is pretty good too. The warranty is top notch. My downside for this gun is it is a bit more difficult to get to the eyes if you break paint during a day of play and the regulator is not user-serviceable. The stock barrel is also on the short end of what I prefer.

G6R: Best stack tube poppet I have used (the LV1 is smoother but not quite as efficient). It is both super efficient and super smooth. I also had great reliability with it with 3 years of ownership. The only downside I can maybe think of with it is that you do need to keep the pressures in the proper ranges (a 1-2 minute job after regulator maintenance).

Geo 3: My current marker and current favorite. I love the ergonomics of it and personally prefer single tubed markers. It can go a very long time without maintenance and is just super simple to work on. Probably the smoothest shooting gun of the bunch (there are other spools smoother though). It also has the very excellent pops asa, board, and trigger adjustment that Eclipse is known for. A downside is it is probably the least air efficient out of the guns you listed but I can still get 8-9 pods of a fill.

Ego 11: Great gun if you want super super low maintenance (as in I basically never maintain my stuff) and decent overall performance. Not quite as nice of a shooting gun as the G6R and also not quite as efficient. It is still a really great shooter though and a solid performer all around. The board and on/off are nicer on this gun than on the G6R and you also have the benefit of not needing to adjust the regulator pressures with a reg tester. Second most efficient of the guns you listed.
^ agree I also currently shoot a geo 3 aswell and I enjoyed it over all other markers right now love the shot reliability and sounds signature I also use a 77/45 so effienciey is not a issue but it all depends on what you like the best in the end all ones you mentioned are great markers I just know the g6 can be finicky

160R,Trex Victory,DM7
Virtue Spire 3/FS 88/W Powerhouse Reg,
^Changes so much does not even matter XD

East Carolina Paintball Team Alumni
2015 NCPA National Champion Class AA
XxJKATxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:12 AM #6
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends VI
MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends X
MaG Adrenal1ne supports Team VICIOUS
MaG Adrenal1ne plays in the APPA D5 division
MaG Adrenal1ne supports DLX Technology
Love my G6R's. Great guns for the price.
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
MaG Adrenal1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 AM #7
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJKATxX View Post
^ agree I also currently shoot a geo 3 aswell and I enjoyed it over all other markers right now love the shot reliability and sounds signature I also use a 77/45 so effienciey is not a issue but it all depends on what you like the best in the end all ones you mentioned are great markers I just know the g6 can be finicky
This is sort of a misconception. The G6R is not finicky i.e. it will have absolute reliability in all types of weather and can go a very long time without maintenance. All it requires is that you simply set the regulator pressures to the appropriate range (as I said a 1-2 minute job with a pressure tester). If you do this, you will never have an issue with the G6R. I probably checked the pressures on my G6R regulators every 2 months (after reg maintenance) when I owned it, and it always worked great. When you factor in that it needs maintained even less than say a Geo 3, it is not any more work. People are just afraid of actually having to use a pressure gauge for some reason.

Guns that I consider "finicky" are a lot of spools out there. If they are not lubed up quite right, lube becomes dry or temperature gets extremely cold you can have cycling and bolt stick issues. What I really like about the Geo 3 is it still has an excellent shot, without the usual issues associated with spools. It isn't quite as good of a shot as say a DM, Luxe, GTi, etc. but it is still damn good.

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 03-26-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:42 PM #8
guygrim

Mr. Stealthy, Thank you for the in depth review. This was a big help.. Thank you to all you others for giving your insight, as well. If I had to pick, the G6R and Ego 11 would have been my choice. I was a bit concerned about the G6R regulator maintenance, but not so much after your review.. Thanks!
guygrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:49 PM #9
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Mr. Stealthy, Thank you for the in depth review. This was a big help.. Thank you to all you others for giving your insight, as well. If I had to pick, the G6R and Ego 11 would have been my choice. I was a bit concerned about the G6R regulator maintenance, but not so much after your review.. Thanks!
Do not sweat the reg maintenance one bit. They do not need lubrication very often and when they do, you just zero the regulators out and then set them back to where they should be using the pressure tester. After that you just play until they need maintained again. Also, make sure you are using Dow 55 on the regulators and the ram. They will work ok with other alternative lubes, but I got the best consistency whenever I went back to Dow 55. It just provides a little bit of a better seal.

Also, small tip from helping people on the Intimidator forums a lot. Do not remove the two body halves and play around with the poppet unless there is a leak or something coming from there. The poppet o-ring already gets lube from cycle and it is not uncommon for people to go playing around in there for no reason and mis-seat the poppet/poppet spring. You will probably never have to go in there as long as you own the gun in the first place. The main things you should be concentrating on is keeping the bolt and breach clean (use a drop of paintball gun oil on the two rear bolt O-rings), and lube the ram every couple of times of play with dow 55 grease. Lube the regs every couple of months or maybe a month if you are shooting a **** ton of paint.

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 03-26-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:24 PM #10
axeboy13

hey man i see your looking to spend around 700$
i have a polished red/ dust red empire axe (ansgears new axe color) only used 2 times i also have a ninja 45/45 tank with 5 years left on hydro only used 2 times as well, and finally i have a freak kit to match everything with all the inserts. 650$ without freak and 750$ with freak txt 210-852-7779 for pics if you are interested everything works flawlessly!!!
axeboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:35 PM #11
theblackoutsavage

theblackoutsavage is playing at Living Legends VII
theblackoutsavage owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
theblackoutsavage supports Empire
theblackoutsavage owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by axeboy13 View Post
hey man i see your looking to spend around 700$ i have a polished red/ dust red empire axe (ansgears new axe color) only used 2 times i also have a ninja 45/45 tank with 5 years left on hydro only used 2 times as well, and finally i have a freak kit to match everything with all the inserts. 650$ without freak and 750$ with freak txt 210-852-7779 for pics if you are interested everything works flawlessly!!!
No B/S/T in this forum please. PM him it instead.
You gas up the marker, put on the mask, and walk onto the field. It doesn't matter that you failed a test, your girlfriend broke up with you the night before, or that you just had a bad day at work. This is your heaven on earth. Live it and Play it as if there was no tomorrow.
theblackoutsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 PM #12
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeboy13 View Post
hey man i see your looking to spend around 700$
i have a polished red/ dust red empire axe (ansgears new axe color) only used 2 times i also have a ninja 45/45 tank with 5 years left on hydro only used 2 times as well, and finally i have a freak kit to match everything with all the inserts. 650$ without freak and 750$ with freak txt 210-852-7779 for pics if you are interested everything works flawlessly!!!
Seriously dude??........
Old 03-26-2014, 09:55 PM #13
axeboy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackoutsavage View Post
he said he want to spend 700$ i was telling what i have isnt that what we are suppose to do?? sorry im new to this but im simply telling hime what i have trying to sell it to him thats what he said am i wrong?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:56 PM #14
axeboy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackoutsavage View Post
oh wait nvm i just read the opinion part sorry about that.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 PM #15
axeboy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
Seriously dude??........
sorry man i didnt see the opinion part i thought he was trying to buy stuff sory about that.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:04 PM #16
Mr. Stealthy

Its alright man. Look in the WTB (want to buy) thread section for people who are looking to buy things. You can also post your gun up on the BST (buy, sell, trade) section.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 PM #17
PaintballofOKC

if interested in a G6R I think someone has like 3 for sale with many upgrades and might even consider the Insight since those are fully functional now. Browse the B/S/T never know what you may come across.

oops my bad just scrolled up and you don't buy used.
PaintballofOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 PM #18
nutrifa

nutrifa owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
nutrifa plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:

You could go with a vicious Axe I think they are sold $775 new
https://www.facebook.com/teamvicious
A bit more expensive than a normal Axe Pro. It seems good enough to be competitive seeing as this was the gun that Vicious used in PSP Dallas.
nutrifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:49 AM #19
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrifa View Post
You could go with a vicious Axe I think they are sold $775 new
https://www.facebook.com/teamvicious
A bit more expensive than a normal Axe Pro. It seems good enough to be competitive seeing as this was the gun that Vicious used in PSP Dallas.
There is nothing really special about the Vicious Axe other than the OLED board, freak kit and milling. I would personally just buy the standard axe and upgrade as I saw fit. Also, those guys are good enough to win with almost anything.