Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 PM #1
Jaegon

$200 budget

This is going to be my first gun and I want it to be decent. I'm not some league player, I mean i'll go to a field once every 2 weeks or so, but I will also be playing in the backyard with some family members.

I was thinking about getting this combo, but I want something that is accurate. I may be getting a 18" barrel for it as well.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section this forum is so confusing.
Thanks guys.
Jaegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 AM #2
Nahib_Stilgar

has been a member for 10 years
I am going to assume $200 is your max budget to buy everything? Am I right?

In which case, that package might work, however you will probably hate that mask pretty quick.

I would suggest you spend decent money on a good mask as your first purchase. For example, the Empire Avatar costs less than $100, and uses the exact same lenses as the E-Vents and the E-Flex.

Then I would save up some more so you can buy a gun you like, rather than one that seems to fit your budget.

Buying by price does not end up saving you money in the end as you will start to upgrade in order to get the performance you need...You are far better off buying good quality used goods right from the begining. Search through the BST here and find something that you like, then work towards that.

Mask first. Gun later.

Lastly, longer barrel does not equal accuracy. instead you will do much better by buying a barrel kit that will let you properly size your paint to the barrel bore. You will get Much better results from this.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:00 PM #3
Jaegon

So should I get the carver or the enmey?

I like the tippmann because it looks like you can have more upgrades.
Jaegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:04 PM #4
Nahib_Stilgar

The enemy is an all round better marker.

The upgrades on a carver are almost purely for looks only. Not performance.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:34 AM #5
vijil

Also a note on accuracy - in paintball 90% of markers are roughly the same in terms of accuracy. There is some improvement with a high end regulated electro shooting HPA when compared to a tippmann shooting CO2, but ultimately accuracy is more about the quality of paint you're using and your barrel bore size (not length).

Some recent testing has found that the most accurate barrel to paint combos are actually *not* to use a close match. It's better to have the barrel slightly too small for the paint (underbore) or slightly too big (overbore). It's more efficient propellant wise to underbore, but even this doesn't make that much of a difference. The only way to really affect your accuracy in a way you'll notice is to move to FS rounds.

What I'm saying is: within your budget, accuracy isn't really something you need to worry about. You will not have any significant advantage or disadvantage compared to anyone else on the field. Small tweaks like bore size and paint quality wont make a big enough difference to affect your gameplay.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 AM #6
buddhistgandhi

I would say something more like this, honestly. I have a Tippy 98 Army Salvo and I love it, but I had to put $200 into it to get it where I wanted it.

I have shot a Carver, and its not great, IMO. I prefer just a vanilla 98 over the Carver. Try looking on the forums here for some pods and such, but with a 20 oz CO2 tank, you'll be running out of air WAY before you'll run out of ammo.
Deadlywinds 14" Fibur-X w/Apex tip
buddhistgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:42 AM #7
Henchman

Get the Enmey.
They absolutely rock. Are very reliable, and you won't regret it.
I started with A5's, then a Tiberius 9, then I had 4 Phenoms, which really sucked . Always breaking down. I switched to automags. Great guns, but inefficient. And on my field we rarely get more than. 3.5k fill.
I now use all Enmeys, and never feel I'm at a disadvantage. And I can use a smaller tank.
And once you get into it, you can always mod it for a bit of money. From a basic paint job, to replacing the body.

Here are some of my modded Enmeys.

IMAG0114_1 by markwhensley, on Flickr

IMAG0119_1_1 by markwhensley, on Flickr

IMAG0116_1 by markwhensley, on Flickr

IMAG0120_1 by markwhensley, on Flickr

Last edited by Henchman : 07-14-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Henchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:29 AM #8
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
First a little article I wrote on things to consider when buying your first gun.

http://www.b17queenofthesky.com/pain...rstmarker.html

Some things to think about:
Since this is your first gun one of the things you need to learn is gun maintenance. Tippmanns are renowned for their ease of maintenance and working even when they aren't properly maintained. I would also stay away from used guns right now. While yes you can find some great deals out there buying really good guns for a cheap price but as a new player going new is going to be a better bet. There is less chance that the person before you screwed something up on the gun and you'll have a working marker out of the box. If something is wrong with it, you have someone to deal with either getting it working or getting a replacement.

Something else to consider is having someone knowledgeable to ask questions of when you have an issue with your marker. If you don't have a friend close by who can help you work on it if you have issues then you may want to look into getting a package that your nearest paintball store carries. Don't buy a package online that they have in the store then go ask them a ton of questions...if you're going to rely on them for help then show them respect by getting the package from them. Most will price match online stores and if they don't then ask yourself what their assistance is worth to you. Purchasing a marker from a local shop will also be handy when you need to get spare parts for your marker. They will be far more likely to carry them as well as any option parts you want for your marker.

Have you played before? If you have realize that the Carver is going to be very similar to a rental marker package. Nothing wrong with this as you're just starting out. You can easily spend 10 times your budget if you get all high end gear. Start with a kit like this then, over time, upgrade what you want as you want to upgrade it. If you haven't played before, I suggest playing, renting some gear, and start seeing what the sport is all about. You may find you don't like it at all and not want to buy a marker. Doubtful, but could happen.

As for the marker and shooting well, whatever marker you buy is going to be FAR more capable at eliminating players than you will be as a new player. Not saying that you suck, but you have a learning curve that you have to overcome first. Look at guys like Tippmann Effect, a speedball team that plays with Tippmann markers. While there are teams that may "outgun" them, they use to (and since they've come back still do) finish very well in tournaments. It's a testiment to their skill, not their markers.

Coming from a guy who shoots a gun with a 20" barrel, an 18" barrel is going to do nothing more than quiet your shot some and increase your air usage. 14" is usually the most effective length as paintballs stop accelerating at around the 8" mark. The additional length helps stabilize the round and guide it towards it's target.

Stick with a kit like you're looking at now and get some games under your belt. Take notes about what you like about your marker and what you don't like. You will find things in both catagories. This is true about all your gear. You'll find things that you don't like about pod carriers, masks, hoppers, air tanks, etc. This will help guide your purchases in the future as to what gear will suit you best for your type of play.

There is a ton of information out there. You can take a look at some of my guides as well as I have tried to write them with the new player in mind.

Last edited by Robotech : 07-14-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:45 AM #9
BatmanLiera

BatmanLiera supports DLX Technology
BatmanLiera supports Shocker RSX
BatmanLiera supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Get the Enmey.
They absolutely rock. Are very reliable, and you won't regret it.
I started with A5's, then a Tiberius 9, then I had 4 Phenoms, which really sucked . Always breaking down. I switched to automags. Great guns, but inefficient. And on my field we rarely get more than. 3.5k fill.
I now use all Enmeys, and never feel I'm at a disadvantage. And I can use a smaller tank.
And once you get into it, you can always mod it for a bit of money. From a basic paint job, to replacing the body.

Here are some of my modded Enmeys.

IMAG0114_1 by markwhensley, on Flickr

IMAG0119_1_1 by markwhensley, on Flickr

IMAG0116_1 by markwhensley, on Flickr

IMAG0120_1 by markwhensley, on Flickr
Excuse me Mr.Whensley the last gun the green gun I notice is has a on off as a can I please know what on off as a this is?? Thank you. I have been wanting a Gog enmey but reason I haven't go one is because if lack of on off. Also the tank on my Axe is set to low pressure 450psi do u know if enmey will run on low pressure
BatmanLiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:55 AM #10
dblj44
Delta Paintball Team

dblj44 supports DLX Technology
Almost any asa will work on the enmey. The Enmey operates on low pressure very nicely.

:Sponsors:
GOG Paintball | DLX Paintball | Scenario Superstore
Fogtech | Delta Paintball Productions
"Should I try a little spit? That usually helps things out with my girlfriend but we are talking paintball here so I'm not to sure." -Caderade
dblj44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:55 PM #11
QSGoDZ

QSGoDZ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
i guess ill sell you my smart parts epiphany
QSGoDZ is offline   Reply With Quote