ReplyRegional Ups

Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 PM #22
Dirty J
FAT CITY

has been a member for 10 years
Dirty J plays in the PSP
Dirty J plays in the MiLP
Dirty J plays in the APPA D3 division
Haha... there is lots of LOL in this thread...

In all seriousness... I've played countless tournaments since 1998... NPPL (before there was a PSP), PSP events, various series all over the Southeast, including several series in Florida in years past...

The GFOA is one of the best bangs for your buck that you can get.

Sure the prizes suck. The reffing quality goes up and down... but where else are you going to get some structured competition and guaranteed 6 games for $199 and BYOP?

For teams that are looking for a good time and good competition... the GFOA is a great value.
Dirty J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2013, 02:23 PM #23
Dirty J
FAT CITY

Dirty J plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory688 View Post
I think the only worry this year is that MiLP is trying to make a stronger presence with Georgia teams and some teams are hopping over. I wouldn't call the GFOA a cardboard box though.
The MiLP is a whole different ballgame.

For team seriously considering the jump to the PSP Race to format... the MiLP is a great thing. I'm glad they're moving the series around to differentl locations. Should help them draw some teams....

I don't think it will affect the vast majority of GFOA teams. Many of them play GFOA for cost...

You're going to shoot alot more paint at an MiLP event than you would at a GFOA... FC is pretty gun heavy... and I don't think we shot more than 14-15 cases for the whole event including finals (8-9 games). You'd easily double that (or more) playing your prelim matches at an MiLP. Even with BYOP, that'll prevent alot of teams from making that jump.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM #24
taswid
OG

taswid plays in the PSP
taswid owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
taswid supports Team VICIOUS
That's what a local 5 man series does... Gives players a chance to play and decide where and what they want to do... Without breaking you wallet.
2010 GFOA SEASON OPEN DIV CHAMPS (5-1ST)
2011 PSP D3 WORLD CHAMPS
2011 PSP D3 SEASON 3RD
2013 NPPL D2 CHAMPS
taswid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM #25
TheRedButton

TheRedButton owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Had fun at one GFOA event last year and not as much fun at another. I'm more of a fan of the uptempo style of Xball, so the GFOA just isn't as much for me.

Giving MiLP a shot this year for D4x and will be helping our D5 line some help at the GFOA events they play while they work on the habits of good paintball playing.
Cory Persson Fan #1

Nitro Paintball
Purdue Alumni

TheRedButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 PM #26
strfenix
Ballin likea Laker est’06

strfenix owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
strfenix supports Team VICIOUS
strfenix supports DLX Technology
strfenix supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconPunchKid View Post
I would just like to see some more info my team dropped CFPS for gfoa.
Bring your friends! Gfoa is a great series with good people playing/running it. It's put on for Georgia players. Its made to be cheap and fun. Like Jason said, prizes aren't that great but it's cheap. The more out of town players the Gfoa picks up, the bigger the series gets! So yes - come up, play some events, tell your friends. Also while your team is looking into Georgia events, Dosser Works is hosting a Milp (xball) this year, and Big Indian Paintball hosts the Mgpl (5man) and Ncxl (xball). All great, and cheap series you should check out. As far as being welcomed goes, us Georgia players are always looking forward to any out of town competition. We get tired of playing against the some ole people haha

Now as far as this d5 kid goes making waves...why are you even talking? First of all, none of us know who you are. Second, if you have played the Gfoa you have no reason to bash it. Gfoa is the most known, most active 5man (or any) series in Georgia. If you don't like us, keep your *** "over seas" and play where your skill level fits in!

• Atlanta Chiefs D3x •
Nitro Paintball | Empire Paintball
• Ego11 • Gear sale • Grills •
strfenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 PM #27
TheRedButton

Quote:
Originally Posted by strfenix View Post
Now as far as this d5 kid goes making waves...why are you even talking? First of all, none of us know who you are. Second, if you have played the Gfoa you have no reason to bash it. Gfoa is the most known, most active 5man (or any) series in Georgia. If you don't like us, keep your *** "over seas" and play where your skill level fits in!
I'm ranked D5 - proudly so . You don't know who I am. Does my opinion count? I played two events last year and came away with a mediocre opinion of the series and decided I didn't want to spend my money on it this year. Why would I throw more money at it if I was not having a good time? The people you DO know probably have a good opinion of the series cause they continue to play.

To bash someone because of their rank or the low number of events they played is pretty lame. I understand sticking up for something you believe in, but that's probably not the way to do it.
Cory Persson Fan #1

Nitro Paintball
Purdue Alumni

Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 PM #28
FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

FalconPunchKid is playing at Living Legends VIII
FalconPunchKid owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
FalconPunchKid supports DLX Technology
FalconPunchKid supports Empire
Well let me ask this..
My only prior tournament experience is all of 2012 CFPS, and world cup. Not much experience. So does anyone have experience with both CFPS and GFOA. Also might i add i don't have a choice. My team will be playing GFOA and its not my choice. I just want some insight.

Anthony Antle
FalconPunchKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 PM #29
taswid
OG

taswid plays in the PSP
Last 2 years a GFOA team has won World Cup.
2011 PSP D3 WORLD CHAMPS
2011 PSP D3 SEASON 3RD
2013 NPPL D2 CHAMPS
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM #30
TheRedButton

Quote:
Well let me ask this..
My only prior tournament experience is all of 2012 CFPS, and world cup. Not much experience. So does anyone have experience with both CFPS and GFOA. Also might i add i don't have a choice. My team will be playing GFOA and its not my choice. I just want some insight.
Honest opinion:

1. They people behind the GFOA are great and have the best intentions.
2. The prizes are not alluring, but if you're in it for the prizes in D4/D5 you're probably playing the wrong sport.
3. The reffing has been hit or miss across the ~5 events I've been to. Sometimes it's alright, but a lot of times I find that the refs stand towards the outside of the field, do not get on the inside of the players to check for hits where they happen the most and typically there have been too few. They all seem to be nice guys, though.
4. I am not a fan of how long the points go - for more experience players it can breed bad habits like sitting in your bunker, gunfighting your mirror or other downfield players, etc.
5. I much prefer more traditional PSP layouts to the layouts the GFOA uses, but they're interesting and different, for sure.
6. It's cheap. Way cheap.
7. The Open Division seems to have a hard time getting players - my personal opinion is that the guys that are playing at those levels probably want to play PSP and stick to series where they can get the experience they need to prepare for those events.

If you're looking for cheap paintball, are new to the tournament scene and need to save time on travel, it's not a bad option.
Cory Persson Fan #1

Nitro Paintball
Purdue Alumni

Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 PM #31
FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedButton View Post
Honest opinion:

1. They people behind the GFOA are great and have the best intentions.
2. The prizes are not alluring, but if you're in it for the prizes in D4/D5 you're probably playing the wrong sport.
3. The reffing has been hit or miss across the ~5 events I've been to. Sometimes it's alright, but a lot of times I find that the refs stand towards the outside of the field, do not get on the inside of the players to check for hits where they happen the most and typically there have been too few. They all seem to be nice guys, though.
4. I am not a fan of how long the points go - for more experience players it can breed bad habits like sitting in your bunker, gunfighting your mirror or other downfield players, etc.
5. I much prefer more traditional PSP layouts to the layouts the GFOA uses, but they're interesting and different, for sure.
6. It's cheap. Way cheap.
7. The Open Division seems to have a hard time getting players - my personal opinion is that the guys that are playing at those levels probably want to play PSP and stick to series where they can get the experience they need to prepare for those events.

If you're looking for cheap paintball, are new to the tournament scene and need to save time on travel, it's not a bad option.

Well that would pretty much be my description of CFPS.

Anthony Antle
Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 PM #32
TheRedButton

Quote:
Well that would pretty much be my description of CFPS.
I've always wanted to check out their events, there are a ton of really good teams in the area. A few have even made it up to GFOA and won some events - I can think of at least one of the top of my head.
Cory Persson Fan #1

Nitro Paintball
Purdue Alumni

Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 PM #33
FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

Quote:
I've always wanted to check out their events, there are a ton of really good teams in the area. A few have even made it up to GFOA and won some events - I can think of at least one of the top of my head.
Yeah its a pretty good series. But still a local series just like the rest. Reffing just like you described is a huge hit or miss. One thing i liked about them is that they were really helpful. Being New to tournaments it was a whole lot of help. This year i have a little more experience and am looking forward to getting my *** kicked again. haha.

Anthony Antle
Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 PM #34
strfenix
Ballin likea Laker est’06

strfenix owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
strfenix supports Team VICIOUS
strfenix supports DLX Technology
strfenix supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
I'm ranked D5 - proudly so . You don't know who I am. Does my opinion count? I played two events last year and came away with a mediocre opinion of the series and decided I didn't want to spend my money on it this year. Why would I throw more money at it if I was not having a good time? The people you DO know probably have a good opinion of the series cause they continue to play.

To bash someone because of their rank or the low number of events they played is pretty lame. I understand sticking up for something you believe in, but that's probably not the way to do it.
Well for one, I wasn't talking about you. For two - I do know who you are, Mark. I met you at the first Dosser Gfoa last year. I wasn't "bashing" the guy for his low rank or number of events he has played, but simply because he has no idea what he is talking about, and he is **** talking the wrong people behind a screen.

• Atlanta Chiefs D3x •
Nitro Paintball | Empire Paintball
• Ego11 • Gear sale • Grills •

Last edited by strfenix : 02-02-2013 at 11:58 PM.
strfenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:58 PM #35
FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

Well i am sure there are guys out there who have more experience then I. That I am ranked Higher I mean **** Ive only played 5 tournaments and i am D4. as far as i am concerned D5 and D4 there is really no difference

Anthony Antle
Old 02-03-2013, 01:43 PM #36
TheRedButton

Quote:
Originally Posted by strfenix View Post
Well for one, I wasn't talking about you. For two - I do know who you are, Mark. I met you at the first Dosser Gfoa last year. I wasn't "bashing" the guy for his low rank or number of events he has played, but simply because he has no idea what he is talking about, and he is **** talking the wrong people behind a screen.
I'm not Mark. I'm pretty sure I've never met you, and if I have, apologies - I have no idea who you are.

This post is completely off-topic and I've decided to remove it because it's just not worth it.

OP - best thing you can do is give GFOA a shot. CFPS, MiLP, and (maybe) even the MGPL probably aren't going away any time soon.
Cory Persson Fan #1

Nitro Paintball
Purdue Alumni

Last edited by TheRedButton : 02-03-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM #37
taswid
OG

taswid plays in the PSP
Nice edit badass... If you come in to thread about a series asking honest question and someone else feels the need to call it a cardboard box of a series. Expect the backlash..

If you want to do the same feel free. If you want to go somewhere else by all means ... Take your d5 *** somewhere else. Every year there is some d5 player running his meat whistle.

D5 means 1 of 3 things your new, your back or you suck. Unless you a returning player your opinion is based off lack of info and experience.
Opinions are great but an opinion in a thread calling a series a cardboard box.... Expect **** talking from the player that play it and support it.
2011 PSP D3 WORLD CHAMPS
2011 PSP D3 SEASON 3RD
2013 NPPL D2 CHAMPS
Old 02-03-2013, 03:33 PM #38
TheRedButton

Quote:
Originally Posted by taswid View Post
Nice edit badass... If you come in to thread about a series asking honest question and someone else feels the need to call it a cardboard box of a series. Expect the backlash..

If you want to do the same feel free. If you want to go somewhere else by all means ... Take your d5 *** somewhere else. Every year there is some d5 player running his meat whistle.

D5 means 1 of 3 things your new, your back or you suck. Unless you a returning player your opinion is based off lack of info and experience.
Opinions are great but an opinion in a thread calling a series a cardboard box.... Expect **** talking from the player that play it and support it.
I wish you and your team the best in 2013. Cheers.
Cory Persson Fan #1

Nitro Paintball
Purdue Alumni

Old 02-03-2013, 03:40 PM #39
Dirty J
FAT CITY

Dirty J plays in the PSP
Still lots of LOL in here... thanks for the entertainment guys.

So ya... GFOA... play it.

The first event is almost always one of the larger. OTP is a pretty good venue. Dosser is nice and centrally located.

Dan's land.. Don't care if I ever go back. The wooded hike out to the field stink.. and there's always paint coming over the net down the trail or up from the lower d5 field. Serious safety concerns IMO.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:56 PM #40
taswid
OG

taswid plays in the PSP
Anytime
2011 PSP D3 WORLD CHAMPS
2011 PSP D3 SEASON 3RD
2013 NPPL D2 CHAMPS
Old 02-03-2013, 04:18 PM #41
FC_2003
R.I.P 10 Man

FC_2003 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL 2
FC_2003 plays in the MiLP
FC_2003 plays in the APPA D4 division
I like GFOA because it's local, reasonably priced and well run. The race format is cool, but played correctly, you'll burn 30+ cases plus higher entry fees. The GFOA also has good competition, especially in D4. Personally, I'd love to see more Open teams, but it is what it is.

Come try out an event or two, it's well worth the investment

GFOA Champions: Open Division 2012

2nd Place 2012 PSP World Cup 10 Man Open
FC_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:56 PM #42
usedpaintballstuff

usedpaintballstuff plays in the PSP
usedpaintballstuff plays in the APPA D4 division
usedpaintballstuff has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
usedpaintballstuff has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I think cost can get confused sometimes between 5 man and xball..cost are split a little different due to more players and such...

I think your better off playing what you enjoy rather then settling...I prefer xball because of the format...I prefer the fast pace action for 10 minutes verus playing 2 to 3 mins and waiting 30 to 40 for the next match...

Wish I lived closer to GA...Lots of good players..
2009 Regional 3-Man Champs
2008 World Cup Champs
usedpaintballstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups