PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-10-2007, 10:53 PM #22
Dead_Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepb2 View Post
anything you can do with a bench grinder? i kinda have mine just like sitting here in my garage.
Bench grinders can't be used with aluminium or plastics. If you have ever used aluminium on a bench grinder you'll have seen how it smears the metal into the grit of the stone. And once that happens the cutting action is lost and it makes the thing you're grinding jump around. It's actually very dangerous when this happens since the shock of the jumping around is quite capable of making the stone shatter. And if that happens... well, can you say SHRAPNEL? People have been maimed and killed by stones of that size that let go.

There's a trick that I do each time I mount a stone on my grinder. I put my finger through the hole and tap the side of the stone with a bit of wood or a plastic screwdriver handle. It should ring like a bell. If it doesn't then it won't get mounted because a dull tone indicates a crack. And a crack means a very likely disaster. So far I've had to throw out two stones over my years. It's a small price to pay for my safety.

So for us paintballers they are primarily useful for grinding the odd steel thing that we find in the guns and the steel tools that we use on the other materials. Grinding stones of any sort should not be used on aluminium or brass. This includes Dremel stones. For aluminium or brass it's time to get out the cutting burrs.

There are grinding wheels that are used for aluminium but they are production stones that are used only with a constant flood of coolant oil that prevents the metal smearing and loading up the wheels.

I'll be getting some pics of my own mill and the mods I've made to it shortly.
Dead_Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2007, 11:05 PM #23
Nepb2
ODB

has been a member for 10 years
ok thanks...im trying to think of what i could do with a dremel to my destroyed ion frame to get back into working with it...lik take off all the dumb lines they milled in there.
Nepb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:07 PM #24
nelspot 007

I can say that a belt sander is nice to have for ally! I have a 4"x36" horizontal that I love! they are not that expensive either
nelspot 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:09 PM #25
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Good lord, why must people ruin every good thread that is actually worth of a sticky by spamming it all to hell with "OMG STICKY" posts. If anything, cluttering a good information with useless posts like that will reduce it's chances of being stickied.

I asked DeadBody to write this specifically so I could sticky it. He did a much better job than I expected. Thanks man.
JoshGrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:27 PM #26
ojhspyro89

Decent thread, you didn't ever get into the heavy Iron though, just all the foreign stuff.

Most of the information seemed good, and worthy. Although, some almost seemed biased or un-experienced judgments.

I have the smallest mill you have on the first page...but now that I think, I have damn near replaced everything. Ive replaced the tables, made it cnc, replaced Z-axis screw and made a brass bushing, moved the motor...and so on.... So basically, if anything, just add in there that if you want it to work...your going to have to upgrade!
ojhspyro89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:32 PM #27
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

No matter who makes the sticky, it's gonna sound somewhat biased. If you ask 100 machinist a question about machining you will most likely get 100 different answers.

This guide wasn't made for other machinists, it was made for people who are trying to get into machining. I think this thread is perfect for that.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:06 AM #28
Nepb2
ODB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGrrrr View Post
No matter who makes the sticky, it's gonna sound somewhat biased. If you ask 100 machinist a question about machining you will most likely get 100 different answers.

This guide wasn't made for other machinists, it was made for people who are trying to get into machining. I think this thread is perfect for that.
QFT
Old 03-11-2007, 12:11 AM #29
p8ntballer152003jews

Thanks alot for this post. My senior year is almost over and then I will begin apprenticing for my Journyman Machinist Certification. As I am a novice craftsman this will help me in making wise choices. Once again, Thanks Alot.
p8ntballer152003jews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:27 AM #30
Nepb2
ODB

i wish i had some way of buying a milling machine i wouldnt be able to make $1000+ and have the patience of setting it up.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:37 AM #31
Dead_Body

Ojhspyros, there's no heavy iron since the idea of this was to find options for those that don't have the money or room for heavy stuff. That was just way out of the scope of this article. Also the domestic big iron options are all way beyound what most first timers would be willing to pay. Again that would have been outside the scope of what was intended here.

And props to you for taking a small machine and making it better. But again, anyone with the skills to do all that doesn't need an article like this. And modifying the machines can only be done by someone with the skills and knowledge of what they have and what they want to turn it into. Again that was out of the scope of this article intended for beginners that don't have that level yet.

How about some pics or even a new thread about your machine and the upgrades you did to it. And maybe an honest opinion of how you manage with the size of the table and the working room when you try to do a major paintball gun setup and some other larger item setups. And perhaps your opinion of what the machine was like way back when it was stock. As I said, and you're quite right, the article is my opinion of these machines. I have not had the time, money or opportunity to try them. So what was your machine like back when it was stock?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:39 AM #32
Dead_Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballer152003jews View Post
Thanks alot for this post. My senior year is almost over and then I will begin apprenticing for my Journyman Machinist Certification. As I am a novice craftsman this will help me in making wise choices. Once again, Thanks Alot.
You'll likely learn all this and more in your first couple of weeks as an apprentice. But at least you'll be able to impress them with a little background I hope...
Old 03-11-2007, 12:49 AM #33
Contour
---!R.I.P!---

I don't think I've told you this Dead Body, but I think I love you . Also is there any plans for a lathe write up?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:46 AM #34
nelspot 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojhspyro89 View Post
Decent thread, you didn't ever get into the heavy Iron though, just all the foreign stuff.
We picked up our little bridgeport (5hp) at a tech school auction, you can get some great deal's there BUT you need the space + power to run a floor mill.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:56 AM #35
nelspot 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcl281 View Post
thank u, i have been looking for the info for a little while. most info is on cnc machine.
CNC machines are great for production work!! but totally,utterly SUCK for one off parts!! Your going to spend a day writing a program to machine one part that takes 10 mins to whip up on a regular mill.. If your making a hundred parts hey then its worth it.. The other problem with CNC is program errors.. if your making...lets say back blocks for autocockers. the first 5 or 6 you machine are wrong in some way.. till you get the program right.. the next 1000 are all perfect... Do you realy want to put your Only Ego body on this machine to do mill work on it???
Old 03-11-2007, 03:12 AM #36
Dead_Body

A similar write up on paintball suitable lathes is coming.

Nelspot, keep that info coming. It's a nice addon from a larger shop point of view.

The need to do the programming on CNC stuff is something that not everyone thinks of. But I guess for some it provides a comfort level since they are likely more familiar with programming than with machine use skills. For me it's the other way around. And for me the enjoyment is in the actual machining. I don't really like computer programmign all that much. I use CAD as it's easier than using paper for me now but when it comes to my machines it's manual all the way because that's how I like it.

Last edited by Dead_Body : 03-11-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 AM #37
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelspot 007 View Post
the next 1000 are all perfect

I've never seen that happen..lol
Old 03-11-2007, 10:14 AM #38
MrZucchiniHead
My avvy lies, its not new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Body View Post
If you even THINK about using good old world wood carving chisels on aluminium I'll personally come down and make you eat the end of my Automag!
depends, what flavor is your mag?

he's got both ****ty and good quality wood carving tools, i know which ones are which, and if i used them on metal(the good ones that is) i'd prolly be grounded for a year.

:still waiting for the cheap milling guide:
Old 03-11-2007, 10:19 AM #39
nelspot 007

I love CAD its nice to be able to move your ideas around 360 degrees in cyberspace. Where the problem come in is getting the cnc mill to cut what you want where you want it.....lol

As far as your write up on lathes goes I'm looking forward to it! Any help you need let me know... A 5c collet lathe gets my vote with a small 4 jaw as an extra.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:28 AM #40
Dead_Body

MrZucchini' at least he's taught you the difference...

Nelspot, much like the Bridgeport style mills were out of the scope for this article a 5C toolroom lathe would be well out of the next one. Cost ya know.....

But if you really need to get one like that then I think I can recomend a Hardinge without any worry that it will come up short........ Just remember to bring the unlimited Platinum Visa card when you pay for it....

Actually the times I've seen import 5C style toolroom lathes the quality seemed to be there.... But again so was the higher price.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:13 PM #41
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

I love Hardinge lathes. They are by far my favorite lathe to use. I love how you can adjust feedrates adn RPM while the machine is operating. I also love how quiet they are. I can hold tenths easily on a Hardinge.

If you can do threading on one I'd never use anything else.

You are right about needing a Platinum Card, I think they run around $30-35k
Old 03-11-2007, 02:04 PM #42
nelspot 007

Our Big turret Hardinge holds 5 millionths.
Yes the import 5c's are quite good, will hold tolerances well enough for any paintball need.
The one I use is a Hardinge with a seperate electric feed and a turret tool holder. Its a oldie but a goody...lol