PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-10-2008, 07:37 PM #43
Candide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannny View Post
The Higgs boson particle gave matter mass (theoretically). That is one of the particles that will be produced from this experiment which has never been observed before.
You're saying that with a lot of certainty, boy. >_>
Candide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2008, 07:52 PM #44
mannny
This is the Pagoda

has been a member for 10 years
I'm just saying what they're saying, they're goal is to produce this particle, and they believe that this particle gives matter mass.
I'm not saying I'm positive its going to happen. I hope it happens though.
mannny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:53 PM #45
sniperx117
Resident A-rab

Wouldnt that make everything that it comes into contact with have a greater mass?O_o
We strike Straight
We sing Sin
We thin Gin
We jazz June
We Die Soon
sniperx117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:07 PM #46
mannny
This is the Pagoda

I guess thats what they're trying to find out. Particle physics is so insane.
mannny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:21 PM #47
norcalpballer13
Tits or GTFO

so whats going on with the LHC today? what have they done? what has happend? anything new? black hole? olivia munn?

"For what the world spends on defense every forty hours, about $4.6 billion, we could provide sanitary water for every human being who currently lacks it."
norcalpballer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 PM #48
Jonnyblaze1991
Who Dares, Wins

They fired particles in a single direction. No collisions yet, thats next month. So, pretty much nothing happened except for the fact that we know it works.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:24 PM #49
norcalpballer13
Tits or GTFO

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...,5058995.story

"For what the world spends on defense every forty hours, about $4.6 billion, we could provide sanitary water for every human being who currently lacks it."
norcalpballer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:39 PM #50
mct783

I really don't think much of anything will come out of this experiment. People keep trying to tie it to the 2012 theories and other conspiracy theories- it's just a machine. It's going to go 'pop', and a bunch of guys in Geneva will get excited, and we will all go on with our life and wonder why 4.4billion was spent on it.

Or we could learn from it. Who knows. That's why it's an 'experiment'. Had a group of scientists got together and made rediculous 'END WORLD' claims, this machine probably wouldn't have gotten more than a news article in the Yahoo Science section.

Black holes are going to eat the world. The magnetosphere is going to fail us. A Half-Life scenario is going to take place where another dimension is revealed and a martian microbe is going to kill off the planet. Just like the Manhattan Project was going to engulf the world into flames.
mct783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:00 AM #51
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperx117 View Post
2nd page woot

This doesnt kill religion buddy.
Maybe it doesn't kill religion as in spirituality, but it sure would blow apart the story of creation as presented in Genesis.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 AM #52
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOldTimer View Post
Maybe it doesn't kill religion as in spirituality, but it sure would blow apart the story of creation as presented in Genesis.
why would it? or maybe you mean that it might blow apart some people's interpretation of what is presented as the creation in the Bible?
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:32 AM #53
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
why would it? or maybe you mean that it might blow apart some people's interpretation of what is presented as the creation in the Bible?
Not MY interpretation. It would blow apart ANY interpretation of Genesis. Unless of course, you can provide a link to a version of Genesis that speaks of particals colliding into each other, giving creation to other exotic particals which generate mass, and the whole of the universe being born as a result of an unimaginably big explosion.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 AM #54
karnavorrr

BHOPAL, India (Reuters) - A teenage girl in Madhya Pradesh killed herself on Wednesday after being traumatised by media reports that a "Big Bang" experiment in Europe could bring about the end of the world, her father said.

The 16-year old girl from Madhya Pradesh drank pesticide and was rushed to the hospital but later died, police said.

Her father, identified on local television as Biharilal, said that his daughter, Chayya, killed herself after watching doomsday predictions made on Indian news programmes.

"In the past two days, Chayya had asked me and other relatives about the world coming to an end on Sept. 10," Biharilal was quoted as saying.

"We tried to divert her attention and told her she should not worry about such things, but to no avail," he said.

For the past two days, many Indian news channels held discussions airing doomsday predictions over a huge particle-smashing machine buried under the Swiss-French border.

The machine, called the Large Hadron Collider, was switched on on Wednesday, at the start of what experts say is the largest scientific experiment in human history.

The machine smashes particles together to achieve, on a small-scale, re-enactments of the "Big Bang" that created the universe.

Leading scientists and researchers at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research, said the experiment was safe. They dismissed as "pure fiction" doomsday predictions that the experiment could create anti-matter, or black holes

But in India fears about the experiment and the minor risks associated with it spread rapidly through the media.

In east India, thousands of people rushed to temples to pray and fast while others savoured their favourite foods in anticipation of the world's end.

"There were a thousand more devotees yesterday as well as today compared to (any) other normal day," Benudhara Sahu, a temple official in Orissa, told Reuters.

Many women and children rushed to temples and observed fasts as they prayed for deliverance, officials and witnesses said.

Assurances by scientists and the media that nothing would happen counted for nothing for housewife Rukmini Moharana.

"I visited temple, prayed to god," Moharana said. "I am observing the fast for safety because god can only save us."

http://in.reuters.com/article/topNew...BrandChannel=0
karnavorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM #55
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

warbeak2099 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
warbeak2099 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
warbeak2099 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
warbeak2099 supports Empire
Nice job Indian media, you just killed someone with your sensationalist and uninformed reporting. The American media is not much better. If I see another report on CNN or Fox that the LHC could cause Armageddon, I'm going to kill a domokun to relieve the Weltschmertz.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:14 AM #56
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Domokun! RUNNNNN!

CK member #04 (???)
Mastermind26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:21 AM #57
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
Quote:
Not MY interpretation. It would blow apart ANY interpretation of Genesis. Unless of course, you can provide a link to a version of Genesis that speaks of particals colliding into each other, giving creation to other exotic particals which generate mass, and the whole of the universe being born as a result of an unimaginably big explosion.
yes, YOUR interpretation. Genesis is not a scientific account, and was never meant to be. any interpretation that makes it that way , should be taken with a salt-lick. there is no contradiction with colliding particles and the account of creation in Genesis.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:26 AM #58
komodo_117

It could be interpreted that God smashed 2 particles together and created the universe.

Not that I believe that, but I see how it doesn't automatically destroy religion. It would take a lot more than a few scientists and a particle accelerator to destroy millenniums worth of religious dependency.

It would be like trying to prove to a crack addict of 40 years that what he was smoking really wasn't addictive at all, and could be solved with something simple like laundry detergent or some ****.
komodo_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:21 PM #59
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
May be old news, but it is informative at the amount of data generated and how it will be D'd and handled. (also dispels some myths).

The LHC Will Revolutionize Physics. Can it Revolutionize the Internet Too?

EDIT: Aw CRAP! Forgot the linky.

CK member #04 (???)

Last edited by Mastermind26 : 09-11-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Mastermind26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 PM #60
pimpinsaylor

So it failed then?
pimpinsaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:58 PM #61
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
yes, YOUR interpretation. Genesis is not a scientific account, and was never meant to be.
Can you please provide proof for that statement of fact. Because there are plenty of fundamentalists out there that believe the Bible is to be taken verbatum. So what makes your "salt-lick" interpretation of the Bible so accurate?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:06 PM #62
Derr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind26 View Post
May be old news, but it is informative at the amount of data generated and how it will be D'd and handled. (also dispels some myths).

The LHC Will Revolutionize Physics. Can it Revolutionize the Internet Too?

EDIT: Aw CRAP! Forgot the linky.
Sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpinsaylor View Post
So it failed then?
Yeah Jesus and his M4 toting disciples ran a commando mission on CERN and destroyed the machines.
Derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:07 PM #63
Derr

Quote:
Can you please provide proof for that statement of fact. Because there are plenty of fundamentalists out there that believe the Bible is to be taken verbatum. So what makes your "salt-lick" interpretation of the Bible so accurate?
The apprentice has become the master.
Derr is offline   Reply With Quote