PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-19-2011, 08:31 PM #1
hawaiian_bread

hawaiian_bread owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
barrel break and chop....

what would be the reason my mini would have barrel breaks and chop? I went to the field today with the new Boss bolt and put it to the recommended settings. Went to the chrono and lowered my pressure to 140psi, dwell to 24 blinks and my back cap was turned out about 3 1/2 times. It shot at 273-280 so I took it out to play. Single shots didn't really cause problems but when I shoot a bit fast I got barrel breaks. My mini shot perfectly well before the bolt with my current setup.

So I got a bit fed up with constantly going to the chrono to change settings and decided to put my original bolt back on and put it back to its regular settings. I dismantled and cleaned + lubed everything while my friends were playing and hit the field once the mini was back to original before the bolt upgrade. I still got barrel breaks.... What am I doing wrong??
hawaiian_bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2011, 08:46 PM #2
Mr Virus
BREATH DEEPLY!!

has been a member for 10 years
Did you check to see if the exhaust port on the poppet stem was clogged?
Mr Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:50 PM #3
Darkwulf
Pops!

Darkwulf owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Did you check the paint?

Invert Paintball
Boss Paintball
Originally posted by FatalKitty: edward norton rox my sox
Originally posted by Ninja 1058: the more you play with it, the more you know how it operates and such
Originally posted by pballin16: Not at all, and I just played with mine a few hours ago.
Darkwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 PM #4
hawaiian_bread

Mr Virus: I cleaned and relubed everything including the poppet
Darkwulf: There was 3 mini's today and 2 had barrel breaks and 1 worked perfectly fine using the same case of paint
Old 03-19-2011, 10:22 PM #5
Darkwulf
Pops!

Usually a barrel break is a paint or paint/bore match issue. What kind of paint was it and was it a winter paint?

Invert Paintball
Boss Paintball
Originally posted by Ninja 1058: the more you play with it, the more you know how it operates and such
Originally posted by pballin16: Not at all, and I just played with mine a few hours ago.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:37 PM #6
hawaiian_bread

the paint was Hostile Creations Riot paint and I also did the blow through test with the barrel and it didn't take much force to blow the paintball out the barrel. All 3 mini's had .001 bore size difference from .688-690 and the .688 didn't have any problems. I have a .689 barrel bore for reference.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:55 AM #7
Darkwulf
Pops!

Hmmm Never heard of that paint but that doesn't mean anything. Is it cold weather paint because sometimes that stuff is a little brittle or was it colder than usual outside? This one has me stumped so far.

Invert Paintball
Boss Paintball
Old 03-20-2011, 12:28 PM #8
hawaiian_bread

Well I believe the paint is fairly a new brand and I don't believe it's cold weather paint. We did the drop test and paint was not brittle at all. But the weather we played in was much colder than usual in Southern Cali as we were expecting rain. I'm still confused at the fact that out of 3 mini's only 1 performed flawlessly and that was the one with a smaller bore...
Old 03-20-2011, 08:39 PM #9
hawaiian_bread

Anyone have an idea as to what I can do?!?! Could the barrel to paint match be the only problem?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 PM #10
Bloodymurder

make sure that the exhaust port on the poppet is clear. This has nothing to do with your poppet being lubed. Check to see that the bumper on the end of the bolt is there, and still good. Make sure that the spring is on the right way, and also make sure that the poppet is properly reset.

140 operating pressure is just too low. Turn it up to at least 160 with the boss bolt, and 190 with the stock, and try again with dwell at 7ms. How far out is the back cap?

and also, if 2 out of the 3 were breaking paint, chances are it's the paint. try something different.

Albion College Lacrosse

Last edited by Bloodymurder : 03-20-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Bloodymurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 AM #11
klutch50

klutch50 supports Sherwood Forest
this brings up a question i had about barrel/paint match, I have an Empire barrel kit and how tight do you wanna make the fit?
klutch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:31 AM #12
TheEnglishGuy

Check to ensure the Restrictor is in place and the correct way round, I've read that directly affects how hard the Mini/Axe is on paint.

Paint quality combined with weather temperature is the biggest factor I've seen in paint breakage. I've seen days when everyone is breaking, no matter what marker they've got and then the next day everything's perfect again.

English
TheEnglishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:31 AM #13
hawaiian_bread

English - I'll check that tonight as I think that's the last thing I can check now. I already checked the poppet last night like Bloodymurder said. I'm hoping it might've been the weather though. I noticed a DLX Luxe was also having barrel breaks that day.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:06 PM #14
D-2-the-why-her-son

did you also check to see your detents were in good condition and not sticking, sometimes its the simple things that can cause problems or even a low battery? giving the solenoid issues.
D-2-the-why-her-son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:11 PM #15
hawaiian_bread

D-2-the-why - I did check the detents, even unscrewed it and cleaned it just in case and checked if the eyes were clean as well. Also changed the battery out and still got barrel breaks.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:53 PM #16
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is a Supporting Member
TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian_bread View Post
D-2-the-why - I did check the detents, even unscrewed it and cleaned it just in case and checked if the eyes were clean as well. Also changed the battery out and still got barrel breaks.
Barrel break are usually paint issues. If it was in the breech I would tend to think it could be settings, blow by or something like that.
TheBoss33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:12 PM #17
hawaiian_bread

I did have a chop but I know that was due to me messing around with the settings. I plan to hit a field to use their chrono just so I can mess around some more and put my Boss bolt to it's full potential. Hopefully last sat. on the field was just a bad day and next time it won't happen. I guess I'll pay a little more for premium paint.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM #18
Ty29
Nor Mich raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutch50 View Post
this brings up a question i had about barrel/paint match, I have an Empire barrel kit and how tight do you wanna make the fit?
Honestly, use the smallest bore size you have. The smaller the better.

Tests have shown (yes, I can provide proof) that you get the SAME amount of breaks inside the barrel no matter what size you use.

Since size has nothing to do with how many breaks you get, that means the only thing it affects is efficiency.

So...with a smaller barrel bore, less air will escape around the larger ball, giving you better efficiency. Therefore, use a .685 at all times (unless your paint is HUGE, in which case a .687 or .688 will do).

¨"°º¤ø„¸¨"°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°"¨¸„ø¤º°"¨
Ty29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:54 PM #19
codyemerick

Usuall an overbore problem change the paint and se what happens
codyemerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:08 PM #20
Teahouser
that one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian_bread View Post
what would be the reason my mini would have barrel breaks and chop? I went to the field today with the new Boss bolt and put it to the recommended settings. Went to the chrono and lowered my pressure to 140psi, dwell to 24 blinks and my back cap was turned out about 3 1/2 times. It shot at 273-280 so I took it out to play. Single shots didn't really cause problems but when I shoot a bit fast I got barrel breaks. My mini shot perfectly well before the bolt with my current setup.

So I got a bit fed up with constantly going to the chrono to change settings and decided to put my original bolt back on and put it back to its regular settings. I dismantled and cleaned + lubed everything while my friends were playing and hit the field once the mini was back to original before the bolt upgrade. I still got barrel breaks.... What am I doing wrong??
If you don't have any paint in the breech then it sounds like its a paint/barrel bore issue as everyone has been suggesting.
Teahouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 PM #21
hawaiian_bread

So I finally went back out to the field with the same setup but a smaller bore barrel. Weather was fantastic unlike last time when it was freezing. I shot a case of Delta Force paint and it was flawless. Not a single break the entire day! Boss bolt performed amazingly as well! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I'm always learning so I'm glad to be part of a great community!