PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-03-2010, 07:47 PM #1
ehos

has been a member for 10 years
ehos owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
What is the point of the NPPL?

Why does it exist? What is the NPPL mission statement?

Is it just a money making enterprise? Seems not to be the case as there are better/easier ways to make money (and since they have already gone bankrupt..). So is it to serve the players? To increase awareness of the game? Put on a good show for the spectators? Incite players to work their way up to a 'professional' level?

You see, when I see the PSP, I kinda have an idea what they're going for. When I look at the NPPL, I don't.

What are you guys going for? Because you sure as hell aren't entertaining. You're not dynamic. You're not growing the game. Are you making money?

7 man needs a change, otherwise it's going to be a dinosaur. At least tell the players what your aiming for. There's lots of great suggestions here, but what good are they if you don't know what's broken and what you're trying to fix?
ehos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 PM #2
ToLiveInInfamy
WHO WANTS IT?PIGS

so,uh

MEGAN FOX FOREVER ╓──╖
║░░║░║░╓╖░║║░║║░║║░╙─╢
║░░╙╖║░╙╜░║║░╙╜░║║░╓─╢
╙───╜╙────╜╙────╜╙───╜

POOP SKATE MOB (◣◢)┌∩┐
ToLiveInInfamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 AM #3
jarude
Blackout

jarude plays in the PSP
jarude plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehos View Post
Why does it exist? What is the NPPL mission statement?

Is it just a money making enterprise? Seems not to be the case as there are better/easier ways to make money (and since they have already gone bankrupt..). So is it to serve the players? To increase awareness of the game? Put on a good show for the spectators? Incite players to work their way up to a 'professional' level?

You see, when I see the PSP, I kinda have an idea what they're going for. When I look at the NPPL, I don't.

What are you guys going for? Because you sure as hell aren't entertaining. You're not dynamic. You're not growing the game. Are you making money?

7 man needs a change, otherwise it's going to be a dinosaur. At least tell the players what your aiming for. There's lots of great suggestions here, but what good are they if you don't know what's broken and what you're trying to fix?
Frank already started a thread for people to voice there opinions. Your view seems pretty biased.

Both leagues can always improve.

As far as games not being entertaining. Again personal opinion not fact. The teams in the nppl would probably disagree with you while the teams in the psp would probably agree with you.

2011 NPPL DC Challenge 1st Place / Chicago Open 2nd Place/Las Vegas Championship 2nd Place
Blackout 2010 NPPL D4-5 Man Series Champions
jarude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:59 PM #4
PBSAM126
SAM

PBSAM126 supports Team VICIOUS
because people like 7 man, so they have a league for it still
ALL SUMMER LONG 4PM - 9PM

Like Midwest Outlaws Paintball Page on Facebook!
PBSAM126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:21 PM #5
SHOOTNPOO
MACDEV MASTER US TECH

SHOOTNPOO works for a Paintball manufacturer
SHOOTNPOO plays in the USPL
SHOOTNPOO posts videos on PbNation
What is the point of this thread.

I will say that if there was no tournament leagues to play in you would ***** and complain even more. You should be happy that there are people out there putting up the money for you to even play this game. For you to try and even ask a question as such just shows how much experience you have in doing anything more than complain and for asking one of the dumbest questions I have pretty
Much ever heard with not one ounce of knowledge to support your questioning. I would like to see you even amount to try and make a league happen as big and as well ran as the NPPL. But your opinion really dosent matter when you don't even play in the NPPL.
The league you support is what we call a Cheater league, when you can have someone sit their and tell you where to shoot how to shoot and when to move. With that being said I would love to see you and your team at least try a 7 man event and win something besides a Trophy. NPPL has done the best they can do after bouncing back from a full blown closure in 2008 thet pretty much Ruined 7 man for alot of people. I give a thumbs up to all the players and people who have invested all their time, money and blood to make something that was once the Tourney series to play in,coming back from something so drastic as a bank default is hard enough, but to be able to still strive forward and push to become what they once were. My hat is off to all the men and woman who have brought back the game we love and support, 7 man NPPL.

So please know what you are saying before you
Open your mouth.

Thank you
Vanguard US
Supporting the NPPL

Last edited by SHOOTNPOO : 12-04-2010 at 10:34 PM.
SHOOTNPOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:13 PM #6
PBSAM126
SAM

PBSAM126 supports Team VICIOUS
I completely agree with SHOOTNPOO. But Watch this vid........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wClfWBxHhqk

And your telling me that isnt a sick event, NPPL is trying to bring back how it was back then like in the video, 7 man is still awesome, you should try it sometime
ALL SUMMER LONG 4PM - 9PM

Like Midwest Outlaws Paintball Page on Facebook!
PBSAM126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:42 PM #7
Bounds
bloodymuRda

Bounds plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
its just what people like man. why do they still have woodsball at every field? because its what some people want to do.
Bounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:44 PM #8
ehos

Not complaining, just trying to get transparency/clarity. The NPPL has gone bust before, that's a fact. Old formats that are not popular or maintain/grow in popularity, die. Fact.
PSP is more popular and has a wider more wide reaching fan base than NPPL, sorry that's not opinion, that's a fact. I want the NPPL to improve, but how can they when they themselves have no idea what they are trying to achieve.

Shootnpoo; your argument is that I have to play and win money before I have any say? Luckily the world or any sane business does not work that way. I've played in the NPPL, I've been playing and been reffing since the 80's. I run more than one successful business. That's irrelevant too. My qualification (and yours btw) are irrelevant. What is relevant is something you cannot even begin to understand (sorry, but your post shows your ignorance).

Last edited by ehos : 12-06-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 PM #9
ehos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounds View Post
its just what people like man. why do they still have woodsball at every field? because its what some people want to do.
Because they get new people, renters to show up and that makes the field money. Seems pretty clear to me.

Are you saying the NPPL exists because it's not a woodsball game? (That's a joke btw). The reason for the NPPL to be around shouldn't be 'we're here, come play.' Because if they act like that, then history WILL repeat itself. BANKRUPT x 2

Maybe if I said, 'whats their business plan'? Or do they have one and they're just winging it?

Last edited by ehos : 12-06-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 PM #10
SHOOTNPOO
MACDEV MASTER US TECH

SHOOTNPOO works for a Paintball manufacturer
SHOOTNPOO plays in the USPL
SHOOTNPOO posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Not complaining, just trying to get transparency/clarity. The NPPL has gone bust before, that's a fact. Old formats that are not popular or maintain/grow in popularity, die. Fact.
PSP is more popular and has a wider more wide reaching fan base than NPPL, sorry that's not opinion, that's a fact. I want the NPPL to improve, but how can they when they themselves have no idea what they are trying to achieve.

Shootnpoo; your argument is that I have to play and win money before I have any say? Luckily the world or any sane business does not work that way. I've played in the NPPL, I've been playing and been reffing since the 80's. I run more than one successful business. That's irrelevant too. My qualification (and yours btw) are irrelevant. What is relevant is something you cannot even begin to understand (sorry, but your post shows your ignorance).
For you to say that PSP is out for the Players is Very Very untrue. When we as teams pay double to attend an event that has no return to keep attending the next event as a player. You as a business owner should know that when you run a team and a business that the return is key for your investment to keep moving forward to the next level. Playing PSP has no return on your investment from a Players standpoint so the investment into a league that only TAKES and dose not GIVE BACK to your investment to travel to the next event and pay another 5000 to play with travel, paint, entry ECT is aconite IMO. So with you saying that my ignorance is all because I am looking out for my investment, team and others well then PLEASE CALL ME IGNORANT ALL YOU WANT. NPPL has done what they can do from whom had the rains back then, when the league went south. Trial and error is not what we want to see but, it's how they can come back and help out the sport we all love. SO with that said my good sir hope your investment into a league that is out for the money not the players.

Last edited by SHOOTNPOO : 12-06-2010 at 10:54 PM.
SHOOTNPOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:31 PM #11
texaspaintballplpaye

texaspaintballplpaye is a Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Paintball photographer
NPPL is so boring to watch. Fun to play, but extremely dull to watch. This has been admitted by teams who even play 7 man format. Why do you think they are implementing or thinking about changing the format?

It's also funny how you look at playing leagues in a business prospective, best return on investments, but when a league tries to run a business you back track to make it seem like making money is evil.
texaspaintballplpaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 AM #12
SkInNyB
B GATES

SkInNyB plays in the USPL
SkInNyB plays in the PSP
SkInNyB owns a Planet Eclipse - M170r
SkInNyB is an NCPA player
....7 man is real paintball

In loving memory of Dan Voils
SkInNyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:53 AM #13
ehos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkInNyB View Post
....7 man is real paintball
I love it. I loved 10 man too, and the older I get, the more teammates the better. That Xball is a young mans' game. That's why I'm hoping NPPL sticks around, I wanna go to HB every year.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM #14
*Daylight*

*Daylight* plays in the PSP
*Daylight* plays in the MiLP
*Daylight* owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
*Daylight* plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspaintballplpaye View Post
NPPL is so boring to watch. Fun to play, but extremely dull to watch. This has been admitted by teams who even play 7 man format. Why do you think they are implementing or thinking about changing the format?

It's also funny how you look at playing leagues in a business prospective, best return on investments, but when a league tries to run a business you back track to make it seem like making money is evil.
Well it's not meant to be watched, it's meant to be played so thats not a valid reason to say the league is dull. I have seen some pretty boring xball games myself and have played some dull xball games. 7 man takes the skill to win more so than xball. Most xball players can not even play 7man at the skill they play xball.
*Daylight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:14 PM #15
***MINIONS*** (Banned)

***MINIONS*** plays in the USPL
***MINIONS*** plays in the PSP
***MINIONS*** owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
***MINIONS*** supports Pev's Paintball
i like when ppl say 7 man is too boring to be a spectators sport. Bass fisherman is on ESPN for god sakes!!!
***MINIONS*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:38 PM #16
ehos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***MINIONS*** View Post
i like when ppl say 7 man is too boring to be a spectators sport. Bass fisherman is on ESPN for god sakes!!!
And sadly they make 100x the money paintball does. Dull has nothing to do with it, it's just smart business.

Paintball just has to find the key. Like Poker. It was nothing until they let people see the 'hole' cards and BANG, phenom. We're missing that little bit of magic and once it's discovered it's going to be sooo obvious.

(But we haven't found it yet, and the less introspection there is into the game, the less likely chance we have of finding it).
Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 PM #17
spifbob

spifbob supports Cereal Killerz 2
spifbob supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
And sadly they make 100x the money paintball does. Dull has nothing to do with it, it's just smart business.

Paintball just has to find the key. Like Poker. It was nothing until they let people see the 'hole' cards and BANG, phenom. We're missing that little bit of magic and once it's discovered it's going to be sooo obvious.

(But we haven't found it yet, and the less introspection there is into the game, the less likely chance we have of finding it).
When spectators can really see where the paint is coming from and going, it could do what you are describing (hole card analogy).

And 7/10 man needs to come back as a dominant format. It can be played competitively by a much larger cross-section of players. Xball, for as much as I love it, does tend to leave a lot of potential players out because of the physical demands.
spifbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 PM #18
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Barber is an NCPA player
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
Why is the NPPL around? Options.

It's a nice change of pace from xball. I had a great time playing last season. Totally different game.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:32 PM #19
NkdMangina

NkdMangina plays in the PSP
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends VI
If people didn't like the format then we wouldn't play it.. Maybe you should go to an NPPL venue sometime and then you'll see.

Keep up the good work!!
NkdMangina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 PM #20
NkdMangina

NkdMangina plays in the PSP
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends VI
Quote:

Goggle/Barrel cams on all of the players would be that piece you're looking for, but then you'd need someone to explain to the viewers what the heck they're seeing... but that is completely off topic
NkdMangina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:38 AM #21
texaspaintballplpaye

texaspaintballplpaye is a Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Daylight* View Post
Well it's not meant to be watched, it's meant to be played so thats not a valid reason to say the league is dull. I have seen some pretty boring xball games myself and have played some dull xball games. 7 man takes the skill to win more so than xball. Most xball players can not even play 7man at the skill they play xball.
Where did I say the league was dull? I didn't.

If it's not meant to be watched why sell grandstand tickets? Why have bleachers at the events for spectators? Every sport started as a sport to play doesn't mean it can't evolve to spectator friendly. Paintball can't compare to any sport. Most mainstream sports have a central object to follow, IE a ball. They have professional putt-putt, spelling Bees, and billiards on ESPN, and have had paintball. I don't see your point they don't appear every day. Leagues have had TV coverage before. NCPA Class A was covered on TV, NPPL has been covered, and even the old indoor 3v3 on UPN.

How can you measure skill between leagues? Do you have factual proof that there is more skill? You don't, it's the same as me saying PSP is more skillful. And I can say that 7 man teams can't play in the PSP and win.

I also don't see the point in NPPL dropping the APPA ranking system. Save money obviously, but is that really such a big finance to drop? What other system is used to regulate players and event history?
texaspaintballplpaye is offline   Reply With Quote