PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-11-2012, 05:13 PM #43
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
You guys just don't want to accept the truth. Guam is just like a metal folding chair over a fire. I know because my elementary school's teacher's brother is a guam expert for the cia and he showed us the file.
You know, it never gets old.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 AM #44
scienceguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
I work at a national lab, I've seen my fair share, but how does messing up a dinner order indicate a lack of common sense?
It's just that they're so freaking smart and successful that you would expect them to have more common sense than the average person not the same. that's why they get the stereotype.

Seriously, why can't a grad student that's working out math that explains the universe operate the self checkout lane at the grocery store? Or some guy thats building an orbital antimatter collection system at Draper not be able to figure out how to work the gate at the parking garage?

That's a classic case of what I call hopelessly smart.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 AM #45
F1VENOM

It couldn't be ignorance? There are some seriously smart Chinese and Indian students who didn't know how to operate a vending machine because they had never seen one until they got here. Not dumb, ignorant.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 AM #46
Iamamartianchurch

I worked with a guy who was ****ing brilliant with mathematics. Didn't know his ******* from his elbow when it came to designing or fixing failing systems, which was surprising because he eat breathes and lives electrical systems, pedigree and all. I learned quick that he is great as a human calculator, lock him in a room and slide pizza under the door while he tinkers. If you didn't focus him on specific tasks he would wander off. Didn't last long since there was no practical use for him as a full time employee. Odd guy, nice, but odd.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:27 PM #47
scienceguy

Quote:
It couldn't be ignorance? There are some seriously smart Chinese and Indian students who didn't know how to operate a vending machine because they had never seen one until they got here. Not dumb, ignorant.
Because I have common sense, I know those people fall into a different category. The people I'm talking about are borderline mentally ill. Their brains make crazy connections between the massive amounts of information they can store. They're very successful in academic labs. They'll crush you at GO.

Then they totally surprise you with an act of stupidity or lunacy.

Like i said, Not all smart people are like this.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:46 PM #48
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

I believe this to be a function of our culture not a byproduct of their intelligence. If you have intelligent people hang out with only hang out with other intelligent people, they will develop their own social norms, codes, etc. We view it as awkward because it doesn't fit into our social paradigm and because we have developed a social hierarchy putting them low on the social totem pole. As far as their inability to function, what would you expect from a social group that also promotes isolationist behaviors (video games, computers)?

It's funny that by "super-intelligent", we are creating a self fulfilling definition. We consider socially awkward people to be more intelligent then are confused why intellegent people are socially awkward. Once you get past the superficial crap, this stereotype falls apart for me. If I think of the people I find truly intelligent, most are fairly witty and have great conversational skills. But that may also be the difference between liberal arts and STEM academics.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM #49
Iamamartianchurch

I think there is a huge difference between the ability to socialize(appearances, behavior etc) and the ability to perform mundane tasks. I don't think anyone was talking about the former TSA.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM #50
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Then, I guess it gets down to just something I haven't experienced in my field. The majority of the super-intelligent I have met tend to have no problems with mundane tasks (except maybe motivation to do so).
Old 11-12-2012, 03:17 PM #51
F1VENOM

Liberal arts major?

Old 11-13-2012, 03:29 AM #52
Snake13
Escaped Rakkasan

Snake13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by scienceguy View Post
Because I have common sense, I know those people fall into a different category. The people I'm talking about are borderline mentally ill. Their brains make crazy connections between the massive amounts of information they can store. They're very successful in academic labs. They'll crush you at GO.

Then they totally surprise you with an act of stupidity or lunacy.

Like i said, Not all smart people are like this.
I think "common sense" is a big myth, people have different life experiences and skill sets based on those experiences and what they choose to put effort into learning. In my opinion the judgement of a person having no "common sense" usually comes from the person doing the judging coming from a different background/peer-group and falsely attributing skills/experiences that they take for granted as "normal" and universal.

I'm sure there's some **** that those MIT kids consider "common sense" that you would be lost in the sauce with.

full disclosure: I' married to an MIT grad and spent a good amount of time hanging out in the dorms while we were dating.

edit: also while I agree it would be beneficial to have congress to have a more diverse perspective when it comes to education, there is after all a good reason that the people responsible for writing laws tend to have a law degree
Snake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 AM #53
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
There is? Are you sure the trail isn't chasing the dog in this situation?
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 AM #54
scienceguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake13 View Post
I think "common sense" is a big myth, people have different life experiences and skill sets based on those experiences and what they choose to put effort into learning. In my opinion the judgement of a person having no "common sense" usually comes from the person doing the judging coming from a different background/peer-group and falsely attributing skills/experiences that they take for granted as "normal" and universal.

I'm sure there's some **** that those MIT kids consider "common sense" that you would be lost in the sauce with.

full disclosure: I' married to an MIT grad and spent a good amount of time hanging out in the dorms while we were dating.

edit: also while I agree it would be beneficial to have congress to have a more diverse perspective when it comes to education, there is after all a good reason that the people responsible for writing laws tend to have a law degree
I think you're just rewording my point. I have a great deal of respect for these people. But I also find it interesting when one of them forgets to pay their rent for a few months, even though they have lots of money, and has to live in their car until they work something else out. It's not a situation you would expect a certified genius to be in. Can we agree?

On the other end of the spectrum, My sister is an MIT grad and is very put together.

I agree it would be nice for congress to have a more diverse perspective. The problem is, the scientists with political aspirations are just as bad as the lawyers.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 AM #55
Iamamartianchurch

I don't want people whose life focus is law, engineering, or even the sciences leading a nation. I want people whose life focus is leading a nation, to lead the nation.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM #56
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I don't want people whose life focus is law, engineering, or even the sciences leading a nation. I want people whose life focus is leading a nation, to lead the nation.
All of philosophy is but a footnote to Plato - Whitehead
Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 AM #57
F1VENOM

Quote:
Where do you go to study that? Bolivia or the best Korea?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 AM #58
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Where do you go to study that? Bolivia or the best Korea?
Cute.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 PM #59
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
All of philosophy is but a footnote to Plato - Whitehead
Plato should be required reading. Not any of this 1984 or to kill mocking bird, ****.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:22 PM #60
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Plato should be required reading. Not any of this 1984 or to kill mocking bird, ****.
You're telling me. I wonder if West Europe has more philosophy in their high school education.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:58 PM #61
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
You're telling me. I wonder if West Europe has more philosophy in their high school education.
Judging by the sad existence of your average European, I doubt it. Highly doubt it.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM #62
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Judging by the sad existence of your average European, I doubt it. Highly doubt it.
Europe seems to be less averse to philosophy than America to me (probably because of their history of it). America seems to be afraid of philosophy.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM #63
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Europe seems to be less averse to philosophy than America to me (probably because of their history of it). America seems to be afraid of philosophy.
If this is true, they certainly don't make good use of it. Nor are they interested in the words of the wise philosophers.