cmhary369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 AM #65
da oreo
New New

has been a member for 10 years
da oreo supports DLX Technology
The dynasty milled geos are soo sick! I Can't wait for their release!! Any chance of a PGA blue black dynasty dragon edition?
da oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM #66
jojofett

jojofett owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jojofett owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I just saw one of the in person at CPX yesterday. It put my Vicious Geo 2.05 to shame. The milling is great! The lines flowed nicely!
jojofett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:43 PM #67
UnrealS7
Get Some!

UnrealS7 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
UnrealS7 supports Team VICIOUS
UnrealS7 supports Team VICIOUS
UnrealS7 supports DLX Technology
UnrealS7 supports Ninja Paintball
UnrealS7 supports Empire
The vicious milling definitely has its own style going on, however I do feel that the boldness of this milling takes away from the lines of the geo3. The dynasty does a better job keeping it flowing. Maybe a more spiraled design would have done it for me... Like the cross moving over and across the body just keep the forward motion in it. But can't say you chose poorly because you're jack wood, the god of all things amazing and innovative in paintball. Which is why I only shoot PE!

Luxe Mob

UnrealS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 AM #68
FallenHero_08
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
Thanks again guys. This is a really great discussion (something often very difficuld to find on a forum!).

More than anything, it shows that there are wide range of views out there of what people like and dislike. Diversity is fantastic, as long as you're not the person/company trying to make one product that meets everyones criteria

It has certainly given me plenty to thing about for when we sit down and have our design meetings.

Thanks again!

Jack
I absolutly love the fact that the milling is different on each side, very well done. It is a solid design, but there are a couple reasons i have never bought a New gun from PE. First, while the 3d designs and contours are great and yes, much more advanced PE has become the Ferrari of the paintball world making these new high tech guns with no nostalgia, no soul.

I want to see a marker and instantly fall in love with the milling. i want that Lamborghini Countach, not the wind tunnel dictated 458 Italia. If you can cram the same new features that you have been into that soul filled design with your PL marks, i would gladly give you more money for the same gun. look how good the ripper victory sells over the rest, for more money even though its the same design. I dont want to see special anno's for teams. i want to see their own milling. even if its a special run of 7. that extra time and money you put into it will have people loving you and longing for that one that they might acquire long after your company has died (see smartparts). I also dont just want to see the body be different. even a simple hump on the frame or the littlest milling on the rear cap or on the reg swivel. the devil is in the details, and its the details that make people spin that marker around in their head at night trying to fall asleep. Vicious has made a great step in continuing PL milling, just take it up a notch. there is a reason people are still looking for Valhalla vikings, hybrid, dark, tremor, gmax any shocker, exalt droids... they are good looking and have all the right parts. i Know a nexus remake on a ego 12/13 (or whatever) would rake in sales.
FallenHero_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 AM #69
Jack Wood

Jack Wood is a founding member
Jack Wood works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenHero_08 View Post
I absolutly love the fact that the milling is different on each side, very well done. It is a solid design, but there are a couple reasons i have never bought a New gun from PE. First, while the 3d designs and contours are great and yes, much more advanced PE has become the Ferrari of the paintball world making these new high tech guns with no nostalgia, no soul.

I want to see a marker and instantly fall in love with the milling. i want that Lamborghini Countach, not the wind tunnel dictated 458 Italia. If you can cram the same new features that you have been into that soul filled design with your PL marks, i would gladly give you more money for the same gun. look how good the ripper victory sells over the rest, for more money even though its the same design. I dont want to see special anno's for teams. i want to see their own milling. even if its a special run of 7. that extra time and money you put into it will have people loving you and longing for that one that they might acquire long after your company has died (see smartparts). I also dont just want to see the body be different. even a simple hump on the frame or the littlest milling on the rear cap or on the reg swivel. the devil is in the details, and its the details that make people spin that marker around in their head at night trying to fall asleep. Vicious has made a great step in continuing PL milling, just take it up a notch. there is a reason people are still looking for Valhalla vikings, hybrid, dark, tremor, gmax any shocker, exalt droids... they are good looking and have all the right parts. i Know a nexus remake on a ego 12/13 (or whatever) would rake in sales.
We do do those guns that you talk about. They are called the SL range. Virtually every component on those guns is significantly different to the standard gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenHero_08 View Post
even if its a special run of 7. that extra time and money you put into it will have people loving you and longing for that one that they might acquire long after your company has died (see smartparts)
The former would most certainly lead to a very expedient fall into the latter...

Heritage and soul are very hard things to duplicate or replicate. Creating that emotional link to an inanimate object is not something you can design. It comes from the company and the people involved in that company and the history surrounding it. You could also say that soul is more readily found in things that require work and effort to keep alive. They force you to connect with them, interact with them, learn them and understand what makes them tick. And of course, the better the product, the more robust and simple to use and maintain they become, the more that connection is lost. If our crime is of making guns too reliable and maintenence-free, as an engineer, I'll take that as a compliment. And take a reliable, hastle-free piece of tutonic engineering over a soulful, fragile piece of equipment every day of the week
Jack Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:56 AM #70
p8ntshoota
Eclipse Tech Support

p8ntshoota is a Supporting Member
p8ntshoota works for a Paintball manufacturer
p8ntshoota owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
Heritage and soul are very hard things to duplicate or replicate. Creating that emotional link to an inanimate object is not something you can design. It comes from the company and the people involved in that company and the history surrounding it. You could also say that soul is more readily found in things that require work and effort to keep alive. They force you to connect with them, interact with them, learn them and understand what makes them tick. And of course, the better the product, the more robust and simple to use and maintain they become, the more that connection is lost. If our crime is of making guns too reliable and maintenence-free, as an engineer, I'll take that as a compliment. And take a reliable, hastle-free piece of tutonic engineering over a soulful, fragile piece of equipment every day of the week
Brought a tear to my eye...well said Mr. Wood

(simulated Like Button)

I Love that it takes longer to open a package for a repair on an Ego than it takes to actually fix the gun!

For the Love of Paintball....Use OILon the rammer!

If you THINK you're a Super Hero...You're NOT! SLIDE RIGHT!!!
p8ntshoota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 AM #71
FallenHero_08
KCCO

the SL91 was a great gun, but was never made available to people to buy. as far as the SL egos, they are Great guns, and i do think PE makes Great guns over all. over the years they have just lost their appeal to me. the few PE guns i want in my collection are the bushwackers ego, vicious Geo, nexus or dark egos... those guns are the ones that catch my eye.

as far as your comment on limited runs leading to the demise of a company, i think your standard gun line and loyal customers wouldnt let that happen even if you lose a couple bucks on 10 guns. i think the soul of a gun is Purely in its design. otherwise people wouldnt consider guns with the same internals as the stock ones, with different or intricate milling to have more soul or character. im certainly in no position to tell you what to do jack, you simply asked if we like custom milling, and my answer is hell yes, and ill take as much of it as your willing to give.
FallenHero_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:21 AM #72
Jack Wood

Jack Wood is a founding member
Jack Wood works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
If you compare some of our standard milling now, to what we did on custom guns even only 3-4 years ago you should see that the milling is much more intricate now. It may not be as bold and in your face, but it is intricate and detailed.
I honestly think that soul in a product doesn't come from it's design, internally or externally. It comes from a connection. A connection to a time, or a place, or an era, or a person or a team. It's that connection and association with an event or time that pulls at the heart strings. It needs heritage.
At least that is how I see it. But what the hell do I know?
At least we can all agree that the more milling options that are out there, the better it is for you guys
Jack Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:47 PM #73
chrisshanks

chrisshanks owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I can see the nostalgia of enjoying planet eclipse products as much and as long as so many persons on here have, I feel some of these same persons looking for the older stuff in design, possibly mean to humbly request a few retro type "cue's" or "nod's" to an occasional future cosmetic design

I agree, to simply "re-do" a older design on the modern platform would look dated and uninteresting against the back drop of the current organic and almost life-like Planet Eclipse designs.

but perhaps they mean to say (maybe my self too): "if you did it the same way as then but with your experience, knowledge and technology you have today"... perhaps not the whole marker, but minor notable bits

we see this often with our favorite car manufacturers: porsche boxster rs60, american muscle cars (new mustang, camaro, challenger, etc...), I heard their even considering putting gull-wing doors on the merc sls amg (2015)

when the designer of a company asks the public's opinion, I certainly dont want to miss the opportunity of giving my two cents

thanks jack!
chrisshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM #74
jb6xb
FORD RACING!!!!

jb6xb supports Team VICIOUS
jb6xb is an NCPA player
jb6xb plays in the APPA beginner division
jb6xb has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I love custom milling more than custom annodizing, but on the same hand, I instantly fell in love with a Hurricanes SL74 back in 2008 when a player at my local field let me use his that he had just aquired to let me practice with them for PSP Chicago.(This was the second sunday I had ever been to this field, let alone played a PSP style match.) It wasn't until October of this year that I was able to find one exactly like the one I shot in 08, even in the same color combo, which has the black accents. Anyway, back to my original point, a good balance would be nice. Maybe not as subtle as the Dynasty/Vicious Geo 2.1s but maybe not as extreme as the old Mantis/XSV Ego5 or SL66. And make more designs like the Hurricanes SL series guns with the awesome design on the sides of the gun. But by far, the best looking gun in my opinion was the 74 just because of the simplistic look of it, yet it was somehow still soulful, at least in my eyes. But either way I to you Jack Wood, as a current engineering student.
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth.. live it.. love it.. Paintball 4 life!

Missouri S&T Prestige Paintball
jb6xb is offline   Reply With Quote