Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2004, 02:06 PM #86
paintballer18333

has been a member for 10 years
Re: Paintball on Good MORON America

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickey
anyone see the story on paintball on Good Morning America This morning Jan 14, 2004

http://abcnews.go.com/Sections/GMA/

more uneducated, biased negative images of paintball..... on national television!!

I emailed them and gave told them what i thought of their story.
I hope you didnt cuss him out or else your the moron.

Well anyway the article wasnt that bad it just said you have to play the sport correctly in order to aviod injury
Old 01-14-2004, 02:11 PM #87
bread (Banned)

bread is a Supporting Member
all those kids are the ones who go to walmart by BE "guns" and go play in the woods. they play with out a chrono or even masks some times
Old 01-14-2004, 02:50 PM #88
EastAl

It's the same tactics the media uses to scaree people about crime rates rising.
Of course paintball related injuries have doubled in a two year span. But, what they don't tell is that the number of participants in paintball has increased five fold in that same time period! So really, what they should be saying is that paintball related injuries have drasitcally decreased in proportion to the increase of the paintball community itself.
But, good news doesn't make ratings.
I saw almost this exact same article on MSN a few weeks ago. And they only mentioned paintballs growth explosion once, and that was the last two lines in the article. And basically all it said was, "In the year 2000 paintball was played by more than 8 million people, at over 2500 locations, nationwide."
So, with pball related injuries up to over 2700 reported incidents in 2000. The same year that 8 million people played at over 2500 different locations. That would mean the injury to person to field ratio would be like 1.19 injuries per field, per year.
WOW!!!
I wonder if the same thing can said about high school football?

Latre, Al
Old 01-14-2004, 03:30 PM #89
Igneri

Dude there was like 5 articles in newspapers near me today. its so fuxxored and it says how ppl are going blind because of it. Well those ****smacks who lose an eye to paintball should try wearing their f*cking masks, its their fault.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:35 PM #90
DaveEllis
Mega Moderator

DaveEllis is a Mega Moderator
DaveEllis is a Supporting Member
DaveEllis donated to help Peyton Trent
DaveEllis supports Bob Gurnsey
DaveEllis supports our troops
" Jorel Travis, a 20-year-old mother, knows the pain that paintball pellets can cause."

a 20 year old mother...there goes her credibility :p
Old 01-14-2004, 03:40 PM #91
AlTeCk
Rock out!

Quote:
Originally posted by -='][']\[']['=-
LOL That's funny!
Cause I was just about to go Bungie Jumping(sp) without any rope...I wonder if I could have been hurt???

LOL, thats a good comparison. My friend watched that and now his mom is now all pissed becuase she thinks its unsafe now.

GOD DAMN ABC!
Old 01-14-2004, 03:42 PM #92
drunknbear

come now, we all that Disney is the one we need to blame.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:44 PM #93
jtx2003
Ch...Ch...Ch...China

jtx2003 is a Supporting Member
jtx2003 donated to help Peyton Trent
jtx2003 is playing at Living Legends III
there are no stupid paintball related accidents, just stupid people with paintball markers
Old 01-14-2004, 04:03 PM #94
dueL_
NYC

dueL_ is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveEllis
" Jorel Travis, a 20-year-old mother, knows the pain that paintball pellets can cause."

a 20 year old mother...there goes her credibility :p
the ignorance runs rampant up in this
Old 01-14-2004, 04:08 PM #95
ahowle
Master

ahowle is a Supporting Member
Don't worry about it. They're just a bunch of douchebags trying to get ratings. It's not like they're going to come to our houses and take our paintball guns away because some halfwit shot some kid who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just let it go. Paintball will grow, and soon it'll be so popular that they'll be covering it just to get ratings.

-Austin

Last edited by ahowle : 01-14-2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:18 PM #96
EastAl

Problem is, when they get into showing this stuff for ratings, the average viewers believe what they are seeing. So they naturally assume that all paintball guns are dangerous.
My mom's husband used to think that pball was the stupidest things he had ever heard of. "Bunch of military wannabe's running around playing war and pretending to kill each other.", were his exact words.
He was playing cribbage with a close friend of his, when I walked through my mom's house one day carrying my Phantom. His friends son saw the Phantom and said, "Dad look, a paintball gun!". So the guy asked me if I played. And I told him about how I was playing on a tourny team, and how I ref'd at SC Village. Then the guy started telling me about how he and his son started playing a few months ago, how they both loved it, and how they tried to play as much as possible.
The look on my step dad's face was pricelss! He was in total shock that someone he considered a longtime friend would be interested in "playing war".
It was great, ya should have been there. My step dad hasn't said anything negative about pball since.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:20 PM #97
mulletman

mulletman owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
mulletman has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
so basically it was saying where your goglles or get your eyes shot out and don't be a dick with your gun basically it did us a favor by doing what the paintball community has been trying to do

just what I have picked up from reading summaries
Old 01-14-2004, 04:20 PM #98
snow_knight

i think that is bull SH*T.. that they used those examples of paintball injuries "using walmart guns in drive byes".. and then show tournement paintball coverage.. like thats how these people got hurt.. thats crap.. does anyone know how to contact these people at ABC.. i didnt see a place to email them or anything..
Old 01-14-2004, 04:20 PM #99
crashnb114
Paintball Addict

I saw the segment this morning. I really didn't think it was that bad. They even talked to a guy from Cousin's paintball and said how established fields are very safe. I do agree they shouldn't use quantitive figures for injuries, they should tell you comparitive figures for injuries to participants.

Silver Dust Works
Old 01-14-2004, 04:22 PM #100
rebelace12
Texas Beastman

rebelace12 is a Supporting Member
http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/G...mail_form.html

thats where to e-mail them
Martinez Fanclub Member #25
Old 01-14-2004, 04:33 PM #101
CoAh

you know whats funny..alot of celebreties are starting to play alot.. some i know of are linkin park, the LA lakers, shatner of course, dick clark (not playing but supporting), will smith, and some others i cant think of... if worse comes to worse they will back us up i bet.. hah.. but ya id like to see how long they spend on the research on this story... probably like two days lol... please no one send them hate mail, it will make everything worse. it really dont bother me because if all of this anti paintball **** were to really put our sport in jeopardy the ceo's and presedents of all the mayjor paintball companies would do something about it because face it, the sport has made billions and still more to come..
Old 01-14-2004, 04:35 PM #102
snow_knight

rebelace.. thanks man

i just wrote abc about 3 pages on what i thought of there broadcast and how they should change their view on paintball. I think it would help if a few more people would do the same. just try not to be to harsh to them or our efforts will go unlooked.. thanks rocky
Old 01-14-2004, 04:36 PM #103
CoAh

Quote:
Originally posted by mulletman
so basically it was saying where your goglles or get your eyes shot out and don't be a dick with your gun basically it did us a favor by doing what the paintball community has been trying to do

just what I have picked up from reading summaries
good point, they are basicly saving the paintball industry some time.. if anything, police will just watch out for paintball drive bys and what not more than they used to... the sport ist gonna get banned.. its basicly impossible by this point..
Old 01-14-2004, 04:41 PM #104
Camp Kill You

my friend told me that they showed a clip of a girl getting shot in the eye
Old 01-14-2004, 04:46 PM #105
Coolman018

Oh hell. Not this stuff again. Is this going to air again? If so, when, I am very interested in seeing this.