Nomahsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM #87
Stepchild
You wanna know why......?

Stepchild is a Moderator
Stepchild is a Supporting Member
Stepchild is a founding member
 plays in the NXL
My question with this will be in the awarding of prizes. Does the winner of the the challengers division not get anything? In theory they both will be considered "pro" players in the pro division, so to me the winner of the challenger division is basically taking 9th place and the team that takes 2nd in the challengers division is taking 10th place and shouldn't get any prizes.

Or do they treat them as 2 different divisions and give the 10K cash to the winner of each division. Or maybe 10K to the winner of the Champions and 5K to the winner of the Challengers but if they do this then you get a larger reward for taking 1st in the Challengers division (basically 9th place in pro) than the 2nd place team in the Champions division gets.

This also brings up the question of, if they give cash prizes or whatever to the winner of the Challengers division, where is it coming from. A couple years back the PSP cut many of the prize packages (especially for divisional teams) and the reasoning was that the PSP had to cut cost to balance money in and money out. Which I'm fine with. My problem is that more or less this division will not be bringing in new teams, it will probably be a combination of the 5-6 lowest pro teams and the 5-6 highest D1 team that already play. So the PSP won't really be bringing in significantly more money in entry fees because of the new division but they will be trying to hand out more money in prizes. It doesn't add up in my head.

If they don't have any prizes for the challengers division then they will have a hard time getting some of the top D1 teams to jump up with only the chance to play the next event in the champions division. Many D1 teams pay for everything out of the players pockets, why would a team that knows they have a very good chance to place high in d1 and help their own pocket books for the next event want to play in the challenges division without even a chance to win anything even if they take 1st. Plus those teams that never make it from the challengers division I can see be discouraged enough to not play an entire season.

I'll be interested to see how this goes. I like the concept but it's going to be a boom or bust depending on how they handle it.

www.blitzpaintball.net
www.GISportz.com
Stepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM #88
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney003 View Post
So a team can win the first three events then Have a bad event and then Not be able to play cup?
While anything is technically possible, a team seeded 1st or 2nd into an event has never finished in the bottom two places.

Quote:
What about sponsorships. What if all empire teams have a bad event. Empire won't be represented in the main division
Most sponsors have several teams, and a team can come back up after one event.

Quote:
Players will be hired guns. They will jump ship once a team is relegated.
I suspect there will be restrictions in place preventing that from occurring.

Quote:
Terrible terrible idea. Step backwards for a pro league
A lot of very smart, very experienced people have been thinking about this for a month. I'd suggest they've had a little more time to consider the plan in its entirety.

There's still some details to be released, but this is going to be a pretty spectacular improvement, and I imagine once people see it play out for a season no one will even think about doing it "the old way".

- Chris

Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org

Last edited by raehl : 01-28-2013 at 01:57 PM.
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM #89
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

So the goal here, I presume, is that the Challenger Division will steal away all of the Pro teams from the NPPL, giving them a spot where they are still pro, but get a chance to work into it. So even if they're getting destroyed, they'll just get put down with other similar skilled pro teams that are adapting to the 5 man format, plus battle up and coming D1 teams that want to go pro. So the webcast is essentially a prize in itself, rewarded to only the best teams.

That all sounds good but paintball has way too many other little issues that need worked out before something like this would work really, really, well - IMO of course.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 PM #90
mercedes0001

mercedes0001 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumorai View Post
The way I read it is that all of the Pro teams (Champs and Challengers) will play in the same group in Dallas, and the division between the two groups will be a result of placement at that first event. That makes the first event a very important one also.
Everyone would be one division the first event. Interesting to see if any of the D1 PSP pro teams will take the leap of faith.

Just don't know how this will affect rankings if they would want to go back to D1.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM #91
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is a Supporting Member
TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes0001 View Post
At least it means that if you go 3-1 at WC in the pros, you would get to move on.
Need a like button
TheBoss33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM #92
nichonitro
^ doesn't know anything

nichonitro is a Paintball photographer
nichonitro supports Team VICIOUS
Don't forget to add a few teams that will make the jump from nppl to PSP, 20 should be easy to hit.
If everything is done by points then the Lower pro-division should just get a lower multiplier, A team like heat will not come in 10th they are border line the next dynastyesk team but teams like them just don't loose enough. It is completely obvious there is spilt within the pro ranks of teams just trying to win a few points not even the event.
I Really like the idea so teams like Heat are not beating the crap out of teams like aftershock event after event. I said it all off season that the psp will not be able to host all the pro teams on one field with the growth it will have.
nichonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM #93
joshsmithers
HAMPTON HAVOC

plays in the NXL
joshsmithers supports Team VICIOUS
joshsmithers is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vissa View Post
I'm very curious to see what happens to the first 2 teams that end 9 and 10 in Dallas. Yes they will be dropped down to the Challengers div, but will they get back in de Champions div that quick again? I don't know about that!
You have that wrong.... The teams that finish 9th and 10th at the Dallas Open are good because the top 10 teams move on. (It's the initial event). It's the teams that drop out of the top 10 that are screwed.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 PM #94
NTran

NTran is a Professional paintball player
NTran plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
NTran plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
The way I read it is that all of the Pro teams (Champs and Challengers) will play in the same group in Dallas, and the division between the two groups will be a result of placement at that first event. That makes the first event a very important one also.
Yes. I understand how it works.
Fox 4 Darkside - ICPL
United States o18 bc Jerry - NXLE

RIP Upton187 cRew
NTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 PM #95
XSVfan1324
Austin Salle

XSVfan1324 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
XSVfan1324 plays in the APPA D3 division
I can't wait for the 2013 season to start. This will make teams have to early grand everything point and every event. This should be very exciting.
XSVfan1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 PM #96
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John works for a Paintball manufacturer
 is playing at Living Legends XI
John supports Empire
John is All In
Quote:
Are you sure? I got the impression that it would only be Pros for the first event in the Pro division.

Then they'll probably have to pad the Challenger division with more invited D1/Millennium/NPPL teams to join the demoted teams after the first event.

We deserve better villains.
"I have not seen an automag shot in anger in 10 years." Tom Cole
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 PM #97
mercedes0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
They'll probably have to pad the Challenger division with more invited D1/Millennium/NPPL teams after the first event.
So little faith.....hope they have 20 by the first event.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 PM #98
mercedes0001

I still like the hat idea.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:06 PM #99
**GP**
G.I. Sportz

**GP** is a Professional paintball player
**GP** works for a Paintball manufacturer
**GP** supports Team VICIOUS
I want to see the games where to pro teams are fighting to say in the top 8 at the end of each event.

Front row seats for this guy.

G.I. Sportz the Unfair Advantage

#PLAYPAINTBALL
**GP** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 PM #100
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

From VFTD

Quote:
At the second event the Champions and Challengers will play self-contained tournaments. Besides their own field and refs the Challengers will be playing the same pro format RT7 and will be awarded prizes, etc. The rankings will carry across both divisions to account for the teams moving up and down event to event.

Why is it that he had prior knowledge of such changes, but as we can see from this thread, many other players / teams were not informed?

I can't believe they make changes like these without at least talking to the teams.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:08 PM #101
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

LOVE this idea. No more sitting in a bunker for 5 minutes straight dumping pods into a lane with no one moving anywhere. This will make the players hungrier to win, and make the league and the game overall more competitive and exciting to watch. Good move PSP!
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:08 PM #102
baddogh27
Idk my bff Squash?

baddogh27 plays in the PSP
baddogh27 plays in the MiLP
baddogh27 is an NCPA player
baddogh27 plays in the APPA D4 division
Wow this is awesome. Huge news just made so many matches much more interesting way to go PSP.
baddogh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:08 PM #103
Nemesis2000_ent

Nemesis2000_ent plays in the APPA D5 division
Nemesis2000_ent is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepchild View Post
My question with this will be in the awarding of prizes. Does the winner of the the challengers division not get anything? In theory they both will be considered "pro" players in the pro division, so to me the winner of the challenger division is basically taking 9th place and the team that takes 2nd in the challengers division is taking 10th place and shouldn't get any prizes.

Or do they treat them as 2 different divisions and give the 10K cash to the winner of each division. Or maybe 10K to the winner of the Champions and 5K to the winner of the Challengers but if they do this then you get a larger reward for taking 1st in the Challengers division (basically 9th place in pro) than the 2nd place team in the Champions division gets.

This also brings up the question of, if they give cash prizes or whatever to the winner of the Challengers division, where is it coming from. A couple years back the PSP cut many of the prize packages (especially for divisional teams) and the reasoning was that the PSP had to cut cost to balance money in and money out. Which I'm fine with. My problem is that more or less this division will not be bringing in new teams, it will probably be a combination of the 5-6 lowest pro teams and the 5-6 highest D1 team that already play. So the PSP won't really be bringing in significantly more money in entry fees because of the new division but they will be trying to hand out more money in prizes. It doesn't add up in my head.

If they don't have any prizes for the challengers division then they will have a hard time getting some of the top D1 teams to jump up with only the chance to play the next event in the champions division. Many D1 teams pay for everything out of the players pockets, why would a team that knows they have a very good chance to place high in d1 and help their own pocket books for the next event want to play in the challenges division without even a chance to win anything even if they take 1st. Plus those teams that never make it from the challengers division I can see be discouraged enough to not play an entire season.

I'll be interested to see how this goes. I like the concept but it's going to be a boom or bust depending on how they handle it.

Anyone gonna address this quote
Curious to know the answer
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM #104
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!

bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
While anything is technically possible, a team seeded 1st or 2nd into an event has never finished in the bottom two places.

Most sponsors have several teams, and a team can come back up after one event.

I suspect there will be restrictions in place preventing that from occurring.

A lot of very smart, very experienced people have been thinking about this for a month. I'd suggest they've had a little more time to consider the plan in its entirety.

There's still some details to be released, but this is going to be a pretty spectacular improvement, and I imagine once people see it play out for a season no one will even think about doing it "the old way".

- Chris

I do apologize for my rash reaction. I wil wait to see how it plays out.

I hope it works out.

Last edited by bmoney003 : 01-28-2013 at 02:14 PM.
bmoney003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM #105
Kazer

Kazer is playing at Living Legends VIII
Kazer supports DLX Technology
Kazer supports DLX Technology
This is an expansion of the existing pro division, and not a new division. The top 10 teams play on Center Court (Champions League) and are on the webcast. The rest of the pro division (Challengers) get their own field of play with the two finalist teams making it to the Center Court/Champions League the following event. The bottom two Champions League teams move down to the secondary pro field, in the challenger division at the next event.

As long as they lock rosters so that you may only play on 1 pro roster per season unless that pro team dies entirely I think this is a great idea.

Also, I just want to point out, what if you are a top 8 pro team on the bubble, what is to stop them from throwing event 3, knowing they have a better chance at making the final 2 at even 4 and thus playing WC on center court? I think season points need to be tallied at the end of the first 4 events and that determines who's on center court for Cup.

I assume that the points will work something like this;
Team 1 - 100 points for winning the event
Team 2 - 98 points for 2nd place
Team 3 - 96 points for 3rd
Team 4 - 94 points for 4th
Team 5 - 92 points for 5th
Team 6 - 90 points for 6th
Team 7 - 88 points for 7th
Team 8 - 86 points for 8th
Team 9 - 84 points for 9th and demoted to challenger
Team 10 - 82 points for 10th and demoted to challenger
Team 11 - 80 points for 1st in challenger, 11th overall and promoted to Champions League
Team 12 - 78 points for 2nd in challenger, 12th overall and promoted to Champions League
Team 13 - 76 points for 3rd in challenger, 13th overall stays and in challenger
Team 14 - 74 points for 4th in challenger, 14th overall stays and in challenger
Team 15 - 72 points for 5th in challenger, 15th overall and stays in challenger
Team 16 - 70 points for 6th in challenger, 16th overall and stays in challenger
ect.

Last edited by Kazer : 01-28-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Kazer is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.