Community Focus

ReplyScenario Ups

Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 PM #1
Justus
FireStormPaintball.com

Justus is playing at Living Legends VII
Justus supports Ninja Paintball
Reflex (red dot) sights

How many play with a reflex red or green dot sight on their scenario gun? I never did until this past weekend, which was the first game I played since getting my AGD Tac One package last winter. It came with a NC Star reflex. I set it in quickly in the chrony area, and then headed out.

Where it really helped was when I got into some brush and got a good view of the fort (we were playing attack/defend). I could see an opening in the wall about 4" high and several feet across, and I could see some guys moving around through that slit. I lined up the red dot of my reflex sight and fired, sending my first 3 or 4 paintballs right through the 4" opening (about 30-35 yards away, shooting slightly downhill). Because I didn't hit the wall first and walk the paint stream into the opening, I was able to mark out two players who weren't alerted to my shots being fired.

All in all, when the paint was flying back and forth, I didn't see myself looking for the sight very much at all. But when that situation arose, it sure helped out.

Any other experiences?
Justus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2011, 11:02 PM #2
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

has been a member for 10 years
stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
My problem is that I never had quality FPO paint to do something like that with. I had a 2K1 cocker that I had set up to be +/-1 over the chrono and was super silent. With a freak I could get the grouping somewhat tight, but the RPS crap we had to shoot always hooked from dimples, mishapen balls and pronounced seams. Found out later that the paint we were shooting always was the older paint because the field got it at a severe discount because it was old paint. I went from that cocker thru many guns to my current geo2 after that. Not a single one had a sight rail after that cocker. I would assume the T9 is pretty nice with a dot sight and some FS rounds.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:57 PM #3
Justus
FireStormPaintball.com

Justus is playing at Living Legends VII
Justus supports Ninja Paintball
Yeah, good quality paint is absolutely necessary to even pretend to have accuracy. The field I play at primarily is a private field, and we use fresh Nelson paint. With that, I found I could get a group about the same size as my reticle at about 30 yards.

The only gripe about the reflex sight that I have is it's sometimes hard to find the reticle quickly on the glass. My guess is that as I use it more and more the experience will help me find it quicker, and thus get me properly sighting down the barrel faster.
Justus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:18 PM #4
pharaohman

Red Dots are a "Nice to Have". If you can find one for a decent price they can be worth it. You won't use it the whole time but they can be handy when you are crouched and hidden to line up a nice shot.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 PM #5
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

I'm a big fan of dot sights, especially on my pumps. I usually prefer OEG-type sights to true reflex or powered sights, since they're paintball-proof and don't require batteries.
I even modified my Ion to accept a sight.

The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:39 AM #6
millssta

always play with a red dot
millssta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:10 PM #7
shooteronyour6
...uses PB to share Jesus

shooteronyour6 helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
How many play with a reflex red or green dot sight on their scenario gun? I never did until this past weekend, which was the first game I played since getting my AGD Tac One package last winter. It came with a NC Star reflex. I set it in quickly in the chrony area, and then headed out.

Where it really helped was when I got into some brush and got a good view of the fort (we were playing attack/defend). I could see an opening in the wall about 4" high and several feet across, and I could see some guys moving around through that slit. I lined up the red dot of my reflex sight and fired, sending my first 3 or 4 paintballs right through the 4" opening (about 30-35 yards away, shooting slightly downhill). Because I didn't hit the wall first and walk the paint stream into the opening, I was able to mark out two players who weren't alerted to my shots being fired.

All in all, when the paint was flying back and forth, I didn't see myself looking for the sight very much at all. But when that situation arose, it sure helped out.

Any other experiences?
Well, first off, you wil need to retrain your actions to look thfough the device... a few months, depending on the amount of times you play per month. If you play more often, than I would say a month would be ample time to get that habit formed.
Me personally, I did not use mine for any thiung less than 25 yds either. IMO, it was pointless to use it any closer.
Just recently I was able to use my side mounted scope (pictured below)

...to shoot out a guy using uprooted tree as a bunker. I had approx. the same space you did, though I was 35 yds or so away, and I put that ball exactly where I wanted it...right in his grill.
Happy hunting.
NOTE: I was unseccesful at dialing in my red dot in from the top of the marker however. Hence the reason for the side mount.
Psalms 40:2-3
FeedBack link:
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...oote ronyour6
shooteronyour6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:35 AM #8
Hyperion_Rail

I love my little red dot, despite being a simple cheap model. Always just worked well on my gun. I am looking to upgrade when I get the chance.

Hyperion_Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:33 PM #9
barrelsock

too fat to hide behind a tree.......... i need a bunker
barrelsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:35 PM #10
barrelsock

not my kinda game but u guys have some sweet looking setups
barrelsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 PM #11
bigman1416
Make'n you look good!

bigman1416 is a Paintball photographer
bigman1416 is playing at Living Legends III
I just picked one up for my Phenom, mostly because I've shot down the side of a marker since day one and now because of how the Phenom shoulders I have zero reference point where to put my first shot.
Officially Against the .50 "Revolution"
Don't believe the hype, not new, not the fix.
bigman1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 PM #12
Give Her The D

Do you guys actually aim threw the the red dot or iron sights to hit a target?

Sorry for the stupid question.
Give Her The D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM #13
XRidgelinerX
Old Guy and IYAOYAS

If you are properly using a red dot, you don't look "into" it. You keep both eyes open and look "past" it. You pretend it isn't there and the red dot gets superimposed on your normal field of view. If you are within the range of a paintball marker and if you have decent paint, the balls will land very close to whatever you are holding that dot over.

Read this for "everything you wanted to know about red dots but were afraid to ask..." http://www.x7og.net/woodsball-tactic...dot-sight.html
Old 11-30-2012, 07:05 PM #14
Give Her The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRidgelinerX View Post
If you are properly using a red dot, you don't look "into" it. You keep both eyes open and look "past" it. You pretend it isn't there and the red dot gets superimposed on your normal field of view. If you are within the range of a paintball marker and if you have decent paint, the balls will land very close to whatever you are holding that dot over.

Read this for "everything you wanted to know about red dots but were afraid to ask..." http://www.x7og.net/woodsball-tactic...dot-sight.html
Thanks for the info. I am aware of how to shoot a firearm with a red dot but this did clear somethings up. Thanks bud.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:11 AM #15
Killa Daddy Of Two
Killa Daddy of Two

Killa Daddy Of Two is playing at Living Legends V
Killa Daddy Of Two owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Killa Daddy Of Two has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Killa Daddy Of Two is attending Decay of Nations VI
I have an Eotech knock off mounted on a Blackheart Boarded Sp1.... It is handy to have during Night games, where I cannot see where the balls are going, versus a Black Silhouette in front of me. I just see a dark figure moving, place the reticle on the body and fire. I know that my target is hit, because of their screams, and I know that the sight is tuned. During day time play, i dont use it as often. But it is still a great tool.
Killa Daddy Of Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 AM #16
Give Her The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa Daddy Of Two View Post
I have an Eotech knock off mounted on a Blackheart Boarded Sp1.... It is handy to have during Night games, where I cannot see where the balls are going, versus a Black Silhouette in front of me. I just see a dark figure moving, place the reticle on the body and fire. I know that my target is hit, because of their screams, and I know that the sight is tuned. During day time play, i dont use it as often. But it is still a great tool.
Ended up pulling my red dot off my 9mm rifle and slapping it on my mr4. Gotta say if you zero it in, the red dot is fairly accurate under 25yards.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:00 AM #17
SeanAllen
tacticool

Played with a buddys VM68 with a red dot a couple months ago. I was impressed, it was my first time using any kind of optics. I was sitting a little less than 50 yards away from a 2 story building we were trying to capture (attack and defend game)

Anyways, found a nice spot inside of a R/V sitting in the middle of the field, I fired 2 balls and got the red dot zeroed in. After that, the sight made it super easy to put long shots on the guards in the window.

Its real nice if your going to hunker down and longball, havent used it enough for anything closer than 50 yards
SeanAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:49 AM #18
SPYDRMN22
Private Labels Only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAllen View Post
Played with a buddys VM68 with a red dot a couple months ago. I was impressed, it was my first time using any kind of optics. I was sitting a little less than 50 yards away from a 2 story building we were trying to capture (attack and defend game)

Anyways, found a nice spot inside of a R/V sitting in the middle of the field, I fired 2 balls and got the red dot zeroed in. After that, the sight made it super easy to put long shots on the guards in the window.

Its real nice if your going to hunker down and longball, havent used it enough for anything closer than 50 yards
Props to lugging around a VM-68 for a day,your arms must be huge!

My PBN Feedback
My AOG Feedback
Old Feedback
SPYDRMN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:49 PM #19
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Quote:
Before you all run out and buy one, Take it out of the box and see IF your eyes and brain will actually let you Look Though the sight and super impose two images one with the red dot in it. Just like our hands, we have a dominate eye and a dominate leg. Not necessarily on the same side. If it is TOO dominate, you will have great difficulty using the 'weak' eye. Might make a difference if you mount it for right or left eye use regardless of your hand dominance.

One easy way to check is to bring your marker up to midline and look down BOTH sides of the barrel. You nose is on the bore axis. If you see two barrels, you could use a red dot OK. It is a handy technique for bunkering and shooting on the run. Put that barrel on your nose and your target right between those two barrel tips.

I've used red dots and scopes. Line of sight aiming devices have one serious drawback. Plus or minus 10 feet from where you are zeroed in and your impact is a head height high or low - a miss on a head shot. Paintballs drop like rocks going over a waterfall past 30-35 yards. Still useful for ranging. A foot low, then aim a foot higher.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 01-02-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM #20
Tusken Raider

I use mine as an aiming referance. Good for long balling with any gun. Once you learn how to over aim, you can come off with amazing shots.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 AM #21
SKO_GONZO
S.K.O.

SKO_GONZO owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SKO_GONZO has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SKO_GONZO has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Reflex sight are awesome but it it also depends on it the player has fine tuned his marker. First off replace CO2 for COmpressed air! This enables you to deliver a consistent shot.

Thanks to our sponsors: | Valken | SM Tactical | FOXHOLE Paintball store and field | M.N. P.I.R.O.D. | Quantico Tactical
SKO_GONZO is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyScenario Ups