PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-17-2006, 06:00 PM #1
xenokymirah

the chinese "threat" over estimated?

today in my history class my professor was telling us about chinese modernization and military build up. while amazing, it poses no serious threat to america or east asia. for instance, america practically have china blocked in, they have forces in japan, south korea, and would definately help taiwan. chinese economy may be causing US trade deficit, but most reports fail to mention that china is at deficit with numerous other nation. i do not see where this vast dangerous force is coming from
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2006, 07:51 PM #2
summitlb

has been a member for 10 years
ive been saying this forever china is no threat at all they have no way to get over here and cant do anything to any country around them our airforce would have a feild day if they attacked any country around them
Old 05-17-2006, 07:54 PM #3
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

I love Impulses is a Supporting Member
No, China is showing its power economically and militarily exponentially more every day.

The system could get better as they embrace capitalism more and more, but with the basic belief of Chinese Communism still widely practiced they are still a threat.

Just recently China went into Saudia Arabia and forged a contract for oil for some quite time. For now, China is an economic threat. Militarily they have a long ways to go, but I like how China is growing. A stronger market for American goods

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Old 05-17-2006, 10:51 PM #4
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure

StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Impulses
A stronger market for American goods
And that's the bottom line. It's not in China's (or America, for that matter) best interest to be a "threat" to the United States.
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 PM #5
殉教者

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Impulses
For now, China is an economic threat.
Quote:
but I like how China is growing. A stronger market for American goods
I'm pretty economically ignorant. Can you explain this for me?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:17 AM #6
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 殉教者
I'm pretty economically ignorant. Can you explain this for me?
China is growing at 9.5-10% and in doing so has created a middle class of 100million people. These 100million people continue to drive the chinese economic machine.

China also holds 900million people who either work in factories for low wages or out in rural areas farming to survive.

As China grows it needs more resources, those same resources that we desire. As there is more demand then product then price goes up as the seller can charge a higher price. This is the major issue with oil right now. Also steel and other materials.

China is also shifting into industries that it was previously dependent on the US for. So we lose markets in that area.

China purposefully holds its currency down so that it can sustain its massive growth and maintain large trade surpluses. If the price of your currency is lower then naturally your exports will be higher than if your currency price was higher. They have a massive trade surplus with us right now and are able to use that money to invest into America(good) and spend on national issues.

The People's Communist Party is too weak to control many industries it has set out to do. Many American companies fear intellectual property theft as fake products flood the world market and destroy their margins to which they are unable to sell at their original price.

Like I mentioned before China is growing in its demand for goods. As our dollar depreciates our exports increase as it is cheaper for foreign companies to buy our goods. China needs many products that the US produces and their emerging middle class will buy those goods that America produces.

In light form.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:49 AM #7
殉教者

Ok, I understand all that. You said you like how China is growing, but it's really good and bad. They're not only an economic threat now, but they will continue to be in the future, no?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:58 AM #8
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 殉教者
Ok, I understand all that. You said you like how China is growing, but it's really good and bad. They're not only an economic threat now, but they will continue to be in the future, no?
Any country with power is an economic threat. So yes.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:59 AM #9
殉教者

You conf00zed me.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:52 AM #10
$PJ$

lol
Old 05-18-2006, 06:54 AM #11
Stealth Echo

We deploy all our troops into Iraq and Afghanistan and to our border.

Then, overnight thousands of Chinese para-troopers invade the homeland...

Old 05-18-2006, 07:06 AM #12
summitlb

well what would have solved this alot sooner was if we let old dougy mcarther invade china and take out comunism there. then we would have a strong ally instead of a potential enemy
Old 05-18-2006, 07:26 AM #13
Adema3412
Give me fiction

We got raped when we went into China During Korea.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 05-18-2006, 09:30 AM #14
Rugrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412
We got raped when we went into China During Korea.
We didn't go in to China durning the Korean war. The farthest North the UN forces made it was the Yalu river, but they never crossed it.. It should be noted that China had already deployed 270,000 troops across the boarder in to North Korea at the time.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:34 AM #15
DreadLock Doc
Love Me, Don't Bother Me

DreadLock Doc is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokymirah
i do not see where this vast dangerous force is coming from
Thin air. That's where it comes from.

If your professor tries to convince you or anyone in your class that China is a threat, call him/her an idiot and attempt to explain the economic and political disincentives of going to war with the united states or any other country.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:22 PM #16
cogito ergo doleo

China as for now is interested in making money not miltary conquest
Old 05-18-2006, 11:14 PM #17
FalloutMan
The Original

FalloutMan helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadLock Doc
Thin air. That's where it comes from.

If your professor tries to convince you or anyone in your class that China is a threat, call him/her an idiot and attempt to explain the economic and political disincentives of going to war with the united states or any other country.
What about the other way around when China starts to become equally powerful from an economic stand point?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:40 AM #18
DreadLock Doc
Love Me, Don't Bother Me

DreadLock Doc is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalloutMan
What about the other way around when China starts to become equally powerful from an economic stand point?
Tough ****. Capitalism has winners and losers and if america cannot compete then it sucks to be america.

You could argue that a multipolar world could become more violent based on global history but the problem with that argument is that world now exists as a globalized capitalist system. The chance of a war occurring is reduced as states increasingly engage in free trade.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:27 AM #19
Shock Ball

Dude, you kidding me? China inf and nuke is so overpowered...nerf plz
Old 05-19-2006, 02:11 AM #20
ssgaR
(yಠ,ಠ)y

ssgaR is a Supporting Member
Uhhh....You yanks couldn't beat the Vietcong, the Somalis, or the Iraqis, what hope do you have against one of the worlds biggest, most advanced militaries?

"Originally posted by paintchk2: You sir are an ***."
Old 05-19-2006, 08:20 AM #21
Rugrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgaR
Uhhh....You yanks couldn't beat the Vietcong, the Somalis, or the Iraqis, what hope do you have against one of the worlds biggest, most advanced militaries?

You do realize that we won every conventional battle in Vietnam and Iraq (Somalia didn't have any, but if you wantto compare body counts in that one if would have favored the US about 300 to 1). The only reason wy we lost Vietnam is we, as American people, were unwilling politically to commit to winning that war. Somalia, another political desicion to pull out. And Iraq, a stunning military victory only to be blown by piss poor post war strategic planning and politicial blunders. Notice a trend here, politicians don't win wars..

In a war in anyplace other than China itself, we would own them as our equipment is better, we are more highly trained than the Chinesse regular forces, we have a better and more flexable logistical support system (we can get more troops and equipment there and sustain them in the field. A problem the chinesse, who rely on massive numbers have never been able to solve)