Community Focus

ReplyScenario Ups

Old 08-15-2012, 12:50 PM #1
MikeM

MikeM is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Nerf FPS & range

Hi,

For all you experienced Nerf players...what are some typical Nerf field limits (FPS) and, in your experience, how do they translate in terms of range?

Thanks,
Mike
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM #2
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Nerf? Like plastic guns and foam darts Nerf?
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM #3
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Hi,

For all you experienced Nerf players...what are some typical Nerf field limits (FPS) and, in your experience, how do they translate in terms of range?

Thanks,
Mike
Most event have a max 230fps limit. I know Viper is 140fps for his events.

FPS doesn't always translate to range it'll depend on the launcher, angle, wind, nerfs, barrel length, etc.... Haven't seen anyone take the time to do it yet.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:12 PM #4
MikeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat View Post
Most event have a max 230fps limit. I know Viper is 140fps for his events.

FPS doesn't always translate to range it'll depend on the launcher, angle, wind, nerfs, barrel length, etc.... Haven't seen anyone take the time to do it yet.
This is just to get a rough estimate...assume a day where wind is minimal and assume the standard Nerf Vortex. Once the nerf exits the barrel at a particular velocity basic physics takes over. Your trajectory will affect your range, but given a normal high/low trajectory, that should translate to a rough high/low range in terms of distance.

Not looking for anything more than a 'ballpark' here.
Rough range at 230fps.
Rough range at 140fps.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-15-2012, 03:30 PM #5
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

Quote:
This is just to get a rough estimate...assume a day where wind is minimal and assume the standard Nerf Vortex. Once the nerf exits the barrel at a particular velocity basic physics takes over. Your trajectory will affect your range, but given a normal high/low trajectory, that should translate to a rough high/low range in terms of distance.

Not looking for anything more than a 'ballpark' here.
Rough range at 230fps.
Rough range at 140fps.

Thanks,
Mike
I'll be doing some range testing in Sept now that I have access to a handheld Chrono. If nobody gets you the information by than I'll post it here.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM #6
N2extreme1

If I remember correctly I get about 300 ft from my Havoc.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:00 PM #7
MikeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2extreme1 View Post
If I remember correctly I get about 300 ft from my Havoc.
At what velocity (fps)?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:01 PM #8
MikeM

Quote:
I'll be doing some range testing in Sept now that I have access to a handheld Chrono. If nobody gets you the information by than I'll post it here.
Thanks.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 PM #9
Boom Master
Scenario Player

I went to one game where the limit was 250 fps. It happeen to be a heavily wooded field so no clue the range. Everything was under 50 yards.

The rest are 230 fps. Range it up about 45 degrees and it would go 100-120 yards. It would also drift 20 feet to the left with a 5 mph cross wind. You would nver take a shot at that range unless it was a HAIL MARY, very LARGE or extremely high value target such as the HQ with the General inside. Most engagements are under 50 yards, Tank on tank. 30-40 yards RPG vs Bunker.

Games like Viper experimenting with a lower velocity to put the RPG players within effective range of infantry running with the tank. Trying to address how the surplus of RPGs on a field can be managed while ensuring the tanks have fun too...

Anyone want to start a thread about how well that is or isn't working for the RPG players and tanks?

My RPG runs 190-200 fps and I am quite satisfied with that. I swapped that last 30 fps for a shorter barrel for portability. With a New Nerf, I can hit a 50 yard pickup or 4x4 bunker at 35-40 yards.

Accuracy is largely a function of the condition of your Nerf. Plus PRACTICE!

Brand new, never shot, goes straight and true. USED 3-4 times with fins dinged by the brush and a bent shaft from slamming up against a bunker, You'd better get REAL CLOSE

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM #10
MikeM

Thanks.

I hope to test/practice with my LAW in the next few weeks.
I have no intention of trying to hit a target at 80 yards.

My primary interest is, given no chrono, to make sure I'm not shooting 'hot' while I'm testing. It sounds like if my effective range is in the 80 yard neck of the woods I should be safe fps-wise.

I plan on practicing on targets in the 30-40 yard range.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:17 PM #11
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

Quote:
My primary interest is, given no chrono, to make sure I'm not shooting 'hot' while I'm testing. It sounds like if my effective range is in the 80 yard neck of the woods I should be safe fps-wise.
That would be a safe to assume that your under the 230fps range.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 PM #12
N2extreme1

Quote:
At what velocity (fps)?
220-230 fps
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM #13
MikeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2extreme1 View Post
220-230 fps
Perfect...thanks.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:42 PM #14
MikeM

I got out today for a few test shots (with my brother 'tmauriello').
With the pressure set a 120psi, at what seemed like a good trajectory for distance, the range was about 80 yds (3 shots all about the same).
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3736884&page=2

Then we took it into a roller hockey court. We were shooting from one goal line attempting to hit the opposite goal (maybe 3ft high x 4ft wide at about 130ft away). 1st shot had a very low trajectory but still hit the fence about 5ft above the goal. Second shot was taken at a nearly level trajectory and was dead center in the goal...very cool.

I have an on/off between the tank and my regulator.
I would open it to pressurize the LAW, and then turn it off prior to firing.
Each shot dumped the tank on the LAW, so I assume (had I left the on/off 'on') each shot would have bled the LAW tank plus a little from my source tank. I'll test that theory when I have access to fills.
Using the on/off method, my tank started with about 2500psi and after 6 shots was down to about 1500.

Last edited by MikeM : 08-23-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:24 AM #15
mexi ca40k
Pump Playa

mexi ca40k is playing at Living Legends V
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k supports Pev's Paintball
mexi ca40k has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k is attending Decay of Nations VI
Using steffans( homemade darts) I find 200 fps is more then enough, But I do play without eye protection
mexi ca40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 AM #16
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

Quote:
I have an on/off between the tank and my regulator.
I would open it to pressurize the LAW, and then turn it off prior to firing.
Each shot dumped the tank on the LAW, so I assume (had I left the on/off 'on') each shot would have bled the LAW tank plus a little from my source tank. I'll test that theory when I have access to fills.
Using the on/off method, my tank started with about 2500psi and after 6 shots was down to about 1500.
With your setup you shouldn't loose much if you release the trigger fast. If you hold down the trigger too long than you'll loose air until you release it.

Most of the time I still have a little air left in the air chamber when I pull and release the trigger fast.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 AM #17
MikeM

Quote:
With your setup you shouldn't loose much if you release the trigger fast. If you hold down the trigger too long than you'll loose air until you release it.

Most of the time I still have a little air left in the air chamber when I pull and release the trigger fast.
That's what I was thinking, but with limited air and no access to a fill station I was being extra cautious about air.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:59 PM #18
Colreb

For range I'd have to say the following for my setup:

Handheld shoots 50-75yrds.
Tank Cannon shoots about 150-175yrds.

I was using a 68ci 4500psi tank and got about 16-18 shots operating at 145psi.

Both chronographed about 160-175fps.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 PM #19
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Yeah, Leave your air supply on to auto recharge while you are reloading. It should be charged and waiting on you before your reload and bring it back up into firing position. Your valve should close quickly enough not to loose too much air. I often have 40-60 psi left with my mechanical triggering. A sprinkler valve is a little slower (like half a second slower) but again, it should be recharged by the time your finnish reloading.

After the fight is over, I will discharge the extra air. I don't like running around with it charged up.

You don't have to......
Old 09-10-2012, 08:46 PM #20
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Viper 140 fps rule

Went to Viper's game in Dallas this weekend. First chance to play with the new rule. Mixed reviews. First problem belongs to me. I need practice at that velocity. High, low, low, hit. The tanks usually don't let me get in shot 3 or 4.

The whole idea was to force the RPGs within paintball range of the tank gunner and accompanying infantry. Well, NO INFANTRY with this tank when I killed it. They did run amok out on the speedball and bunker fields with their infantry though.

I did not draw tank fire either. Couse I try for the front half of the tank while the turret is behind cover and then MOVE so they have trouble locating the source of the round. Lets say it works, sort of. We had 3 laws and the tank got in a decent amount of playing time.

At this juncture I want to restate my solution to the issue. Back in the OLD DAYS when we had just discovered Nerf rounds had much MORE RANGE than the styrofoam cup full of paintballs, we had the SAME controversy. Their solution was to put 2 ft x 2 ft targets on the tanks and we had the mark our hits with paint in the nose of the Nerf. We had to get close to get a high probability of a kill. Well within ranges of the tank gunners and any infantry. Like 30 feet or less. The trick was to find some good camo and cover to ambush the tank from.

We had to adapt and just kept on killing tanks. The infantry traditionally would not run with the tanks to protect them. Just like it seemed this last weekend. If they did, one paintball would make them all dive for cover and engage the one guy. The tank comes on and the bazooka guy takes his best shot.

So there is more than one solution to this problem.

Now how do you dial down a 12 gram RPG and these other commercially made bazookas to 140 fps? Have we solved one problem and created another???
My stuff is home made so I'm not qualified to experss an opinion on that?

You don't have to......
Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 PM #21
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

With Viper's rules I've learn to use concelment to get me close enough to the tanks. I'll put a bunker, tree, or some structure between both the driver and gunner line of sight and me as they drive closer. Usually the tanks are driving without infantry so you just to wait for them to get in range. The tank this weekend had a slow turret. So if I noticed it shooting opposite of my location I was able to run close enough and hit it with the nerf. Boom Master it was great to finally meet you in person. Hope to see you out there again.
ReplyScenario Ups