Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 AM #106
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Which metric is he going by? My phone isn't liking the link and it looks like Texas is 4th overall for percentage of children living in concentrated poverty.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 AM #107
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 AM #108
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
What exactly is child poverty?
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 AM #109
F1VENOM

Thanks for the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
What exactly is child poverty?
He linked an entire website about it, go read.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 AM #110
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

From website:
Quote:
Definitions: The share of children under age 18 who live in families with incomes below the federal poverty level. The federal poverty definition consists of a series of thresholds based on family size and composition. In calendar year 2011, a family of two adults and two children fell in the “poverty” category if their annual income fell below $22,811. Poverty status is not determined for people in military barracks, institutional quarters, or for unrelated individuals under age 15 (such as foster children). The data are based on income received in the 12 months prior to the survey.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 AM #111
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Thanks for the picture.

He linked an entire website about it, go read.
Kind of can't, right now. Thanks though.

So we're just looking at impoverished households with children? Forgive me, but why?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM #112
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Kind of can't, right now. Thanks though.

So we're just looking at impoverished households with children? Forgive me, but why?
OB was refuting an assertion made by LTK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by licence2kill View Post
Texans have many great things to be proud of like leading the nation in child poverty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
and once again you outright LIE just to make a post (a single sentance post like ALL your posts are I point out)

http://datacenter.kidscount.org/data...gs.aspx?ind=43

The data is quite clear, Texas is no where near the top.

Now I have a major problem with you, almost every time you post, its a tiny jab or flame in an atempt to look cool. You don't offer insite or opinions, you don't have a "stance", you in fact are just a bad troll. So, how about you post up somthing other than a one sentance blurb, stand for somthing even if your flat out wrong (*note* like 90% of the kids on PBN that are too wet behind the ear to have any kind of life experence and understanding of the world).
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM #113
Bloodeagle

Texas is at 27%. Hey, CA is at 23%. Looks like CA has something to be proud of also.
Bloodeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 AM #114
yesme

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingshadow View Post
Well, they've actually submitted the petition to the White House. It also seems that 17 other states have petitions circulating also. I still don't think it will happen, but it's gone farther than I ever expected it to get. Guess the White House is going to have to say something....

"At least 17 other states have similar petitions to the Texas secession request on the We the People forum including New Jersey, New York, Montana, Colorado, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Indiana, North Carolina, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, South Carolina, Oregon and Michigan. The closest behind Texas was Louisiana with 15,617 signatures. "

I'm actually surprised Oklahoma isn't on that list since all 51 counties went for Romney. Of course, we'd never get the signatures because we have to many apathetic people here...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/texas...9#.UKJCg9cdB6g
Is **** about to get serious? Is this likely to be a trigger to some riots or such? How serious is this movement? Just talk?
yesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM #115
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesme View Post
Is **** about to get serious?
Not likely. Texas has been talking about secession since 1845.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 AM #116
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
What is the difference in numbers between child poverty and poverty? I ask because there has to be a reason to bring that specifically to the conversation.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 AM #117
Lazarusrat

Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Lazarusrat supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Is **** about to get serious? Is this likely to be a trigger to some riots or such? How serious is this movement? Just talk?
Texas has a pop of 25.6 million. Out of those 25.6 million people- 4.5 million voted Romeny, 3.2 million voted Obama, 2% voted others...

They have about 23,000 signatures to get out of the union last time I checked on this.

IMO These guys are a joke only they don't know it.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM #118
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Soul06 supports Ninja Paintball
Normally I only visit the OT forum to view and laugh but this one is just TOO funny.

I liken Texas's claim at being self sufficient to that of a 21 year old living in his mommies furnished basement kicking out $100 a month for "rent". Full access to her gas, water and electric and a key to the side door and is now running around the streets telling everyone he's "Independent" and takes care of himself. It's laughable.

But here is something funnier. An anti-secession petition;
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-them/ZbMjcwPf

Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA - SC Village, CA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM #119
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Normally I only visit the OT forum to view and laugh but this one is just TOO funny.

I liken Texas's claim at being self sufficient to that of a 21 year old living in his mommies furnished basement kicking out $100 a month for "rent". Full access to her gas, water and electric and a key to the side door and is now running around the streets telling everyone he's "Independent" and takes care of himself. It's laughable.

Actually, Texas is probably the closest to being self suficient of all the lower 48 states. They also take in a great amount of shipping for the rest of the country. Then there is the whole oil refinery and chemical industry they have going on down there.

Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit
slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 PM #120
BodyCount81

BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingshadow View Post
Well, they've actually submitted the petition to the White House. It also seems that 17 other states have petitions circulating also. I still don't think it will happen, but it's gone farther than I ever expected it to get. Guess the White House is going to have to say something....

"At least 17 other states have similar petitions to the Texas secession request on the We the People forum including New Jersey, New York, Montana, Colorado, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Indiana, North Carolina, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, South Carolina, Oregon and Michigan. The closest behind Texas was Louisiana with 15,617 signatures. "

I'm actually surprised Oklahoma isn't on that list since all 51 counties went for Romney. Of course, we'd never get the signatures because we have to many apathetic people here...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/texas...9#.UKJCg9cdB6g
I'm surprised Oklahoma isn't on that list also. I am surprised about a few of the states though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
According to that data, they are number 8...
Which would not put us at the top.
Quote:
I doubt it. I haven't even had the topic of secession brought up to me or heard anyone else talking about it. Right now, it's not a big deal as far as I know unless I'm missing out on something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
Not likely. Texas has been talking about secession since 1845.
And then we did secede less than two decades later moron.

lrn2history
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarusrat View Post
Texas has a pop of 25.6 million. Out of those 25.6 million people- 4.5 million voted Romeny, 3.2 million voted Obama, 2% voted others...

They have about 23,000 signatures to get out of the union last time I checked on this.

IMO These guys are a joke only they don't know it.
Last night I heard it was over 40,000 signatures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman View Post
Actually, Texas is probably the closest to being self suficient of all the lower 48 states. They also take in a great amount of shipping for the rest of the country. Then there is the whole oil refinery and chemical industry they have going on down there.
Looks like the other 49 states will have to find their own Glory Hole.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:04 PM #121
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Technically secession is not possible so it never happened

Of course that is only because the confederates lost.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:07 PM #122
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post

As much as I don't like the idea of Texas seceding, you're dead wrong. I'd go as far as to make the argument that Texas could easily be more self-reliant than many countries on this planet. It has direct water access, availability to two countries on its sides, a plethora of natural resources and enough land to survive. It could very well be done, I just don't trust politicians to do it.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 PM #123
Iamamartianchurch

I'd consider applying for citizenship if they did.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:17 PM #124
Lazarusrat

Quote:
How do you figure that?

Texas runs an annual budget deficit in the billions every year even with the Federal government paying for 3 million Texans being on social security, 70% of Texas' welfair and medicaid bills, paying for Texas' boarder patrol and INS operations to keep illegals out, $830 Million in federal education grants, and 88% of Texas' interstate maintainence repair cost, not to mention Texas' yearly "disater" drought money the fed gives your ranchers and farmers, just to name a few...

No offence if Texas can't balance their bills even with the Fed government paying all of that, there is no way you guys are even close to being "self suficient".
Old 11-13-2012, 01:30 PM #125
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarusrat View Post
How do you figure that?

Texas runs an annual budget deficit in the billions every year even with the Federal government paying for 3 million Texans being on social security, 70% of Texas' welfair and medicaid bills, paying for Texas' boarder patrol and INS operations to keep illegals out, $830 Million in federal education grants, and 88% of Texas' interstate maintainence repair cost, not to mention Texas' yearly "disater" drought money the fed gives your ranchers and farmers, just to name a few...

No offence if Texas can't balance their bills even with the Fed government paying all of that, there is no way you guys are even close to being "self suficient".
What state can balance their budget?

Texas has one of the most utilized shipping channels in the country. On top of that, they have a vast amount of chemical production companies and oil refineries. Simply put, you take away Texas and the cost of gas probably goes up a couple dollars a gallon.

Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit
slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:35 PM #126
Lazarusrat

Quote:
What state can balance their budget?

Texas has one of the most utilized shipping channels in the country. On top of that, they have a vast amount of chemical production companies and oil refineries. Simply put, you take away Texas and the cost of gas probably goes up a couple dollars a gallon.
Try North Dakota, Wyoming, Florida, and Virgina just to name a few (I believe for 2011, 12 states had budget surplusses)...

Just because Texas has a busy shipping port and a large petro-chemical industry that doesn't mean you guys are "self suficent". By your justification California is also "self suficent".

If I had to put money on any state being close to self suficient I would pick Wyoming.
  • they have had a budget surplus for over a decade
  • Wyoming doesn't have a state income tax. So they could replace the Federal income tax with a state income tax to pay for SS, welfare, infastructure, and other programs that the Fed provides.
  • They have large oil and mineral reserves.
  • Low state population and a low state overhead.
North Dakota would also be a good choice but they have a state income tax so they would be less able to take on additional taxes to pay for Federal programs they would loose.