PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-27-2001, 01:44 PM #1
Roast Beast

has been a member for 10 years
Gun and equipment idea for newbie

After playing paintball for my 2nd time, I’m hooked, The only problem I really had was not liking the rental equipment. I'm now looking for my own gear. Here are my ideas, I ask for you to give me your sage advise and remarks for my gear choices for someone who does not want to spend a lot of $$$ yet wants something that will last him for a good time.

Goggles:
Brass Eagle Xtreme Vision 280

I liked it because I got to see alot of area, and I also think they look real cool.

Gun:
Tippmann 98 with a flatline barrel "saw some good deals on ebay with the 98 and the flatline together” or a spyder shudder.

These are the 2 guns I’m looking at and wonder which one you would rather have at your side, and why. If you suggest another, please give me your advice. I am looking for the best bang fo da buck, but not want to get something that will last to my intermediate and even advanced levels of paintball, not just get a straight beginners gun "if such a thing exists."

Remote:
Also I want to go with a remote. The second time I played, alot of people had them with the tank strapped to their back. Told me that it takes weight off the gun, and also looks real cool. Any info on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2001, 03:54 PM #2
HostileIntent
Run Thru Ninja

HostileIntent owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
you have some good choices. the first piece of equipment you should get would be a nice mask. I'd recomend a JT mask over any mask out. one of there best is the Spectra 260. it gives great visibilty and protection. also a thermal lense is almost a must. for a gun and tippman or spyder will do a great job. they have been around and are proven. other things you may want to consider getting are kneepads and gloves. believe they help. remotes are all preference. some like em others don't. try it for a goame and decide.
here is a fact for stuff like buying new gear

*1ne

"you gotta get that money no matter how you do... secret inditement ****, right thur"
Old 07-27-2001, 05:11 PM #3
FSU Paintball

FSU Paintball is a Supporting Member
The Tippman 98 Custom is a good choice. DON'T get the Flatline. I have one, and trust me, they can be nothing but trouble. They are way overpriced. They don't work well for speedball at all, and they have some major accuracy problems if you don't have certain things set up on your gun. DON'T GET IT! Instead, spend your money on a CP barrel, a Dye Excel barrel, or a Lapco BigShot barrel. The 98 Custom is about $125 at www.shop4paintball.com, and the barrels all go for about $50 or less.

Make sure it's a Custom 98, and not a Model 98. The Custom 98 is much more upgradeable, and that's really important.

If you want a REALLY superb gun, get the AutoCocker by WGP. They are on sale for $325 at www.paintballgeeks.com

Get a 20 oz CO2 tank. You can get one for just $20 at www.shop4paintball.com

DON'T use Brass Eagle masks. They implode and actually blind people sometimes when they get hit by paintballs. They are a real danger.

Get the JT Flex-7 IZE mask. They're normally $70, but www.paintballgeeks.com has a sale for $30 right now.

If you get a remote, make sure it's a COILED hose remote. The steel braid hose isn't as good with CO2. The coiled hose will actually act like an expansion chamber (which is very good).

If you want my advice, I wouldn't get an expansion chamber. You can get a drop-forward for $30 or less, and that will make the gun almost as light as not having a tank on it. Also, you won't be bothered by a remote wrapping around branches and bunkers and stuff.

There are no professional players that use a remote. The general consensus among the pros is that it's much easier to deal with a setup if everything's compact and on the gun, with no extra hoses and stuff. Personally, I use a drop-forward, and only carry a 4+1 if I need extra ammo with me. i usually don't even carry the 4+1.
Old 07-27-2001, 05:12 PM #4
frogstomp76179

I wouldnt run remote because many people jave problems eventually with them breacking. I dont think either the shutter or 98 will be that heavy if you have the tank on the gun. Plus,.... you would have to buy a harness if you got the remote and that is just extra money. As for which gun i like the 98,.... i had a spyder that didnt like me so i am kind of biased. The 98 doesnt need AS much maintenance. Hope this helps. Later
Daniel
Old 07-27-2001, 05:44 PM #5
Roast Beast

Thanks for all the info; I guess I’ll probably go with the JT mask. I heard something about Brass Eagle stuff being ****e, but wasn’t sure if that was just rumor, or fact, I guess there is a uniform hatred agenst Brass Eagle. Me thinks I’ll pick up that JT mast on sale for $30. I’m looking at the cool Fire Red one, but worried if this will just paint a nice red bulls eye on my ***, or go with something more conservative.

Next, if you don’t mind.

I heard something about the shutter being the same as the TL plus, just with a drop forward and a regulator. Questions include.

1. Is the regulator anything more then just an air gauge, or does it do something extra.

2. Is the shutter worth the extra 50 clams for the regulator and drop forward, or can I just get the TL and add that stuff for like $5?

I guess I wont use a remote. Although they do look cool, I don’t really need to get caught on a branch and bust my arse while parts of my body get welcomed by high velocity paint.

All in all, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

rob
Old 07-27-2001, 07:34 PM #6
HostileIntent
Run Thru Ninja

HostileIntent owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
if you choose to get a spyder i would get the which ever one is the cheapest but feels and looks good to you. the TL+, Shutter, and Xtra all shoot the same. pick which one you want. the reg on the shutter basicly keeps a consent pressure going to you marker. basicly it gets semi rid of velocity spikes.

*1ne

"you gotta get that money no matter how you do... secret inditement ****, right thur"
Old 07-27-2001, 10:28 PM #7
chupcha

hey,

The shutter drop forward isnt that big, it doesnt balance the gun out too well. The expansion chamber will help with consistency for the gun; some people like to have two of them.

I have a coil on my M98. Its very usefull sometimes. If you are going for speedball, its irritating and prevents you form quick manuvering. Also, its uncomfortable to switch from left to right firing side. It sucks to run with it; if you dont have a good pack to hold it in place, it will bounce all over your *** and you have to hold it down. You cant really put the gun down without taking the pack off, it gets caught on twigs when you run, on your pack, etc. But it really does take off the weight on your gun; it becomes more balanced at thus makes it easier to aim.

If you want to buy a remote, i can sell you mine.

Have fun,
Chupcha
Old 07-27-2001, 11:42 PM #8
Ethon
Bleh

*warning* reading this without blinking may cause confusion within the mind and crap up your thinking.
Read responsibly

These are based on personal experiences, so please do not flame me for my own opinions, I am stating them as an answer to the thread starters questions

Personally, a shutter is no more better then a TL+ because it has (these are all personal opinions) a drop forward that really doesn't drop or move forward noticebly (sp?), a regulator that isn't really all that great, and a mini expansion chamber that isn't really that necessary. A shutter shoots exactly the same as a TL+ stock. It's just prettier .

Anyways, I have a TL and Xtra. Both are good guns, but now I realize I could have had the same great guns for cheaper. Since Shutter, Xtra, TL+, etc are based on Compact bodies, getting upgrades by buying a Compact 2000 aren't hard. Most upgrades are made for the Compact anyways.

Personally, I'd say got with a Compact 2000 and upgrade from there.
Old 07-28-2001, 12:24 AM #9
Deceit
What?

Deceit is a Supporting Member
i would go for the spyder x-tra since that reg on the shutter doesnt really do anything anyways. i mean think about it why would you put a reg in front of the expanssion chamber. your supposed to be regulating the gas not the liquid. just a thought besides you shouldnt worry about the pressure going into your gun with co2. unless your out in the sun a lot but you never want to leave you gun running on co2 out in the sun. macro line isnt strong enough to hold that kind of pressure when the co2 heats up and turns into gas.

just a thought...

and the x-tra has that easy rear cocking lever its just a lot nicer than the others.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:15 AM #10
jfreak

If you are looking for a gun that will grow with you as you get more and more into paintball, I think the 98 Custom is the best choice. It has a ton of upgrades available right from Tippmann, and they are reasonably priced as well. In my experience, the valve in this gun handles liquid co2 and temperature changes better than most guns. It is fairly consistant in velocity even without an expansion chamber. Just add a decent barrel ($50 should be plenty)

For goggles, go with the JT Spectra, excellent fog resistance with thermal lens, comfortable, and getting less and less expensive all the time. My suggestion is get the base model in green that has the hard face shield, not the flex-7/IZE systems for your first mask. Yes, the red mask will most likely cause you a few eliminations until you become a better player.

Remotes are great for some people, uncomfortable for others. I would skip this one, at least for a while. After using your new gun for a while and it still feels to heavy, then go for a remote. Note that a remote acts like an expansion chamber, so you won't need one if you are running a remote, also the current coiled hoses tend to be pretty durable as long as you take care of them.

One final thing, if you have a proshop near you, it is worth the extra money to buy from them. You get the oppurtunity to try out different guns and set ups and many stores offer warranties in addition to the manufacturer. You can also get opinions on local fields and different kinds of equipment.
Old 07-30-2001, 06:55 PM #11
elsivo

i wouldnt get a m98. theyre great guns i just sold mine. it never gave me any problems in 4 years of use. its just that they are really long stock and it seems like no matter what upgrade u add it just gets longer and longer which could be a disadvantage if you decide to play tourny ball with it.

James
Old 07-31-2001, 04:25 PM #12
drizzt117

Most people don't end up playing tourney ball w/ their first marker anyway. Your first marker is a learning marker, and if you upgrade it enough, a good backup marker. Both the 98 Custom or a Spyder would be a great choice for a first marker. I agree w/ the fact that most of the newer spyders can be built from a Compact 2000. The differences are mainly milling and anno. The regulator on the shutter is useless b/c it comes before the x chamber. However, IMHO, x-chambers are obsolete and pointless to buy. Now a days, you can get a great reg for a decent price, and a reg is definately what you want to get.

The remote...well, like was said, some people like them, some don't. Me personally, I like the feel of a tank as some kind of stock. Now granted, on my Matrix I drop my tank so its directly under the gun, but I have to have something to rest my gun against. The remote in my opinion gets in the way.

For the mask: The first purchase you make in the sport of paintball should be your mask. Buy the best mask on the market. This is the one product you shouldn't skimp on. If you can't see, you can't play. I have been very pleased w/ my JT Flex 7. However, I'm soon going to be buying a V-Force Morph. I have a lot of friends who bought cheap masks, and have them fog up in games.

For other equipment: Gloves, kneepads, and harness. If you have the money, go w/ Redz products. They are the best IMHO for pads and harnesses. If your strapped for cash, Dye packs are also good. Also, look into buying a pair of cleets (soccer or baseball). I got a nice pair of Adidas baseball cleats at Sports Authority for $35.

Last bit of advice: Try before you buy. See if more experienced players at your field will let you try out their markers and equipment. Most vets are nice and are very willing to allow you to do this. Just make sure you like it before you get it, just b/c the sport is so expensive. Any questions, feel free to PM me and ask.

Drizzt
Old 07-31-2001, 06:30 PM #13
Roast Beast

Well my list keeps getting updated, thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it.

Ok, Right now im looking at the Spyder TL+. If the reg on the shutter is pretty much useless and the D/F not drastic enough to make any real difference, then im just shelling out $50 for some shinny paint. Besides, i see that I can buy some better stuff 3rd party and for $50 make something better then the shutter.

Im also gonna get that JT mast on sale for $30. Il probably get the doodoo brown one, the red one looks cool, but me thinks its bad to let your enemies where to shoot. Although I better hurry before that thing stops being on sale.

I have also heard that v-force is a good mask. I have looked at them and they seem pretty expensive. A friend of mine just got a v-force armor "i think it is" for $30. Seems pretty good. I'm also thinking about the SKUL mask. The black one seems pretty wicked.

Yet again, I thank you for all the help.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:46 PM #14
98customman

dont get a shutter to make a really long story short, i was playing with a shutter (i have a model 98) it had al sorts of problems. it was bad to name a few: choped balls, double feeds,breaking balls, jamming. i'm not even going to talk about the gu when it does good long trigger pull *cough.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:48 PM #15
elsivo

my friend has a shutter and i like it. it shoots nice with a aftermarket barrel. and if you put the booyaah or the esp grip you could really rip.

James
Old 07-31-2001, 08:56 PM #16
98customman

yo james what kind of gun do u have cuz if you have a shutter you better change your sig. too empty a hopper in 1 hour. the shutter with its long trigger pull can put out a whopping 3 balls a second. and why do u need a boo yaah the LCD is basicly pointless. sure you can record shots. but its not worth 250. i would rather get a cocker and a barrel.
Old 07-31-2001, 09:01 PM #17
elsivo

i never said i owned a shutter i said my friend owned one. i just sold my m98 now im getting a cocker.

James
Old 08-01-2001, 10:30 AM #18
TiGs

The M98 are durable and the Spyders are pretty. Both of these guns can upgrade to a electric frame. Both are good guns to get when you begin, easy to maintain and trouble shoot since most of its problems are with the o-rings, unlike a cocker.

As for a mask, I would get something with ant-fog. JT mask with the thermal lenses work good but must be taken good care of or they can easily be ruined.

Both guns are good and reliable.

Don't get a remote. If you play woodsball the remote might get caught on branches and twigs.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:02 PM #19
punkpaintballer

hey 98 custom man, obviously you've never shot a Shutter or any spyder for that fact, while they're certainly not the fastest guns, they can shoot faster than 3 shots a second....more like 4-7 depending on the shooter. And the ELCD does provide an advantage, even though a spyder can't take advantage of the 15 bps offered by the ELCD because it cant cycle fast enough, it can easily obtain 9-10. Im not trying to start a flames thread, im just saying you really should really check your sources.
Old 08-12-2001, 03:35 PM #20
98customman

if you read a little higher would would have seen a post with my experience shooting a SPYDER, and yes they can shoot more then 3 bps, i was being sarcastic. 4-7 is not that fast ok. and my friends owned spyders and hated them they have cockers now. and with the ELCD go buy one if you want your just wasting your money why buy somthing for 250 that you can't take full advantage of go buy a cocker with that money.
Old 08-12-2001, 04:15 PM #21
AllOleander

..Just my $0.02 ...

If you are on the ground a lot (ie. prone), it is a lot more comforable to have your hands apart. If you like to move around a lot, and snap shoot, than it is more comfortable to have your hands together.

The Tippmans design has the grips far apart.. So if you like to go prone alot and play back, than this could be the gun for you.

On the other hand, if you move around a lot, and snap shoot, the Spyder is more for you. I would go w/ the Compact cause you get the most for your money and its a great gun. Best Spyder series IMO.

If you are going to play back and not do a lot of sliding, than going remote is ok.

But if you are going to slide a lot and play upfront and be aggressive, than you should not go remote because it will get in teh way and wont allow you to slide as cleanly.

On the mask, vForce and JT Spectra is the best you can get. Unfortuanly the new vForce masks are priced way to high now, and the JT Flex7 Spectra is at 30 dollars. I would go for that, or the JT X-Fire Spectras, which you can probably get for 10-15$. They are both great masks.