Old 12-17-2008, 12:42 PM #64
JMills87
-.-

has been a member for 10 years
JMills87 plays in the PSP
JMills87 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmadballer View Post
First off, check your dictionary before using big words like disillusioned, because you are using it in the opposite way that you meant it. To quote Princess Bride "I do not think that word means what you think it means"

Secondly, I agree that the semi only rule is hard to enforce and because of that there are many people shooting fast guns that don't necessarily have the fast trigger skills, aka cheating. And I agree that ramping would solve some of those problems. However, I do find it annoying to be capped at a speed that many players can consistantly shoot faster than by 3-5 bps. I personally would be much happier with semi capped at 13, that way you would still have to have the trigger skills to get to the max rof, but even if your gun is set up somewhat illegally you are not going to shoot more than 13 bps, and that wouldn't really be that much advantage. Plus that would be pretty easy to check with any chrono that reads out the max rof of a string.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FencerSMS View Post
why would you lower the BPS so low to the point where its actually slowing you down? 13bps is what id say is the MROF of the average player, so PSPs 13.3bps was reasonable, 15bps was a bit high. but 10bps? you can practically shoot that without walking the trigger, why the hell would you punish players like that

PS... jon mills maybe you should attend more of those English classes your major dictates eh? disillusioned... idiot

Umm actually I'm pretty sure my usage of the word disillusioned is correct, but I guess everyone's an expert.
JMills87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2008, 12:46 PM #65
FencerSMS
Chip Says...

FencerSMS plays in the PSP
FencerSMS is an NCPA player
FencerSMS plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainspaulding View Post
this has very little to do with what actualy goes on at tournaments, it is being put in place so the kids who wander onto a airball field for there first time don't get destroyed and never play again.
it is a big picture kind of thing
what?

ROF in the college and national paintball leagues in NO WAY has anything to do with "some kid wandering onto the field and getting destroyed and never palying again". how do you even make that jump? thats like saying pop-warner football should be flag football bc you dont want a little kid to get tackled until high-school or college.

as for you jon mills, a better word choice in the way you structured your sentence would have been MISGUIDED. your still my favorite though, make sure to check your mail for a christmas car. ya heathen

SCAMMER: Dye_pb44 / DyeHardTaco

Last edited by FencerSMS : 12-17-2008 at 12:49 PM.
FencerSMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:58 PM #66
FullMetalJester
NU Coach / Gun Tech

FullMetalJester plays in the PSP
FullMetalJester is an NCPA player
FullMetalJester plays in the APPA D4 division
If your going to cap it at 10, can we use NXL mode, please?

I'm too lazy to use both my fingers at that rate
FullMetalJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:09 PM #67
ocmadballer
Univ. of Georgia balla

ocmadballer is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMills87 View Post
Umm actually I'm pretty sure my usage of the word disillusioned is correct, but I guess everyone's an expert.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/disillusioned

"disillusioned: adjective-freed from illusion"

Freed from illusion, as in not under the illusion anymore aka disenchanted.

But really this is besides the point of this thread, I apologize for that, it is just a pet peave I guess. JMills, didn't mean to jump on your back, you made valid points in your post and I was mainly trying to respond to that, not to your grammar!
Garrett Lotane #420
University of Georgia Paintball GO DAWGS!!!
Sponsored By: your mom
ocmadballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:29 PM #68
JMills87
-.-

JMills87 plays in the PSP
JMills87 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by FencerSMS View Post
what?

ROF in the college and national paintball leagues in NO WAY has anything to do with "some kid wandering onto the field and getting destroyed and never palying again". how do you even make that jump? thats like saying pop-warner football should be flag football bc you dont want a little kid to get tackled until high-school or college.

Actually, the kid is making a valid point. He's saying that local kids playing in "open play" or walk-on environments who try and emulate nationally competitive teams will be using the same ROF real "tournament" players use (divisional/professional PSP players). With that assumption being made, newer players who don't have the same experience will leave the field with a negative first impression of paintball, due to the fact that they were constantly barraged with streams of 13/15bps.

So, in an effort to maintain and increase the volume of new players entering the sport, it looks like PSP may or may not reduce the max ROF used in their league, because whether or not you see it, there is indeed a connection between national league rules/ROF and the experience a first time walk-on player may have with the sport.

As for my misuse of the word 'disillusioned', I guess I'll blame it on the vicodin, just had my wisdom teeth yanked, blow me.
JMills87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:21 PM #69
mikenawnaw

capped semi is the worst of both worlds? first of all, thats what we have now.
Second of all, its the best of both worlds.

benefits of semi: whats the best part of semi? "people still have to walk the trigger, they no longer have to pull 3 times a second)

Benefit of ramp: gets rid of the affects of cheating.

Benefits of doing capped semi: cheating is no longer super affective, and you still have to be able to walk your trigger consistantly.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:31 PM #70
Demonbunny666

Scholten's a homo
Old 12-17-2008, 02:32 PM #71
okie_hotrod
Revelation

I like this ^^ guy's mode of thinking
Ironmen Fan Club #47
OLD FEEDBACK
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2145478
25+/0- Total
okie_hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:57 PM #72
imwayne002

imwayne002 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
imwayne002 is an NCPA National Champion
imwayne002 plays in the APPA D4 division
The accused is here.
Yes, I can shoot consistently above 20+ bps on my EGO8. And my DM6. And my DM7. On stock settings (maybe a little trigger work), on semi.
Yes, I get my gun checked every game, by every ref, every time, without fail. It's been going on since I bought my rat impulse, (with I-frame ftw)!
I think that if we cap the NCPA at 10bps or under would destroy the good nature of paintball. OK maybe not that far, but it would lose all benefit to the players who practice their "finger-timing." Using your baseball analogy, the players who aren't as strong don't get to use aluminum bats to help them out, and the stronger players don't have to use plastic bats to even out the playing field. Why would you want to penalize players for being better at shooting semi?

And I never said I could make ANY team based solely on 24bps, but when you play back center, and you lane 3 people out off the break, it helps! And trying to run 3 guys through a 8bps stream is MUCH easier than running through 24bps stream. So, yes. It would help someone get on a better team (granted their other playing abilities weren't garbage)

And bring on your machine Chris. I'd love to blow your mind.

Ken Griffey Jr. Ego8
imwayne002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:58 PM #73
captshorty7
Jason Kohout

captshorty7 plays in the PSP
captshorty7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
captshorty7 supports Team VICIOUS
captshorty7 is an NCPA player
captshorty7 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenawnaw View Post

benefits of semi: whats the best part of semi? "people still have to walk the trigger, they no longer have to pull 3 times a second)

Benefits of doing capped semi: cheating is no longer super affective, and you still have to be able to walk your trigger consistantly.
i think though that there are many people who can legitimately pull 17-21...capped semi is just a bad idea...i would just like things to stay the way they are
Rusty Glaze fan club #7!!
captshorty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:28 PM #74
Skipperdawg
Go Big or Go Homo

Skipperdawg is a Paintball photographer
Skipperdawg plays in the PSP
Skipperdawg is an NCPA player
Skipperdawg is Legendary
I'd personally like to see some sort of ramping in the NCPA. While I think semi does help improve your skills as a players it's nearly impossible to regulate at tournaments. Ramping essentially eliminated the guessing. Either your pulling the trigger 5bps and shooting 15 (or whatever number) bps or you're not.

I would like to see a Millenium style ramping where it doesn't kick in until 8bps or so. I know some people have a problem running & shooting at 8bps or doing that with their off hand so you would still have to work on your basic trigger speed. But you could ramp to say 12bps and you'd still have consistency accros the board as far as ROF and people would still have to have the basic trigger skills to get their guns to ramp.

RIP SkipsPics - I'll Miss You Vicious - Photomob
Jerky Bob Fan Club - WVU Paintball - PPSC
Greensburg Distortion MXL #3 - Eastern Conf Champs 2009 We Came, We Won, They Canceled the League
My Feedback: https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1461486
Skipperdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:38 PM #75
ocmadballer
Univ. of Georgia balla

ocmadballer is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenawnaw View Post

Actually right now it is uncapped semi, but other than that I totally agree
Garrett Lotane #420
University of Georgia Paintball GO DAWGS!!!
Sponsored By: your mom
ocmadballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:14 PM #76
Andreski

Andreski owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Ramping

Bubba Cola Factory
Andreski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:00 PM #77
gijoe1254
this color ends in urple

gijoe1254 works for a Paintball manufacturer
gijoe1254 plays in the PSP
gijoe1254 plays in the APPA D4 division
Here is how I look at it. The best comparison i can think of is this, and if you dont like it dont waste thread space saying you dont, just move on and further the conversatin.

NASCAR has a cap on allowed Horsepower a car can have, now there is some variability on this based on track, etc. This makes the driver have to use SKILLS outside of having the fastest car to win.

Now shift gears( haha had to say it) into paintball. Ramping is the like the restricter plate on a NASCAR( dont care on how its spelled ). Ramping takes away the " My fingers are sooooooo fast let me use them" variable and gets everyones equipment on the same level. This in turn makes players work and utilize the numerous other skills to up their game, just like the drivers in NASCAR cant rely solely on the HP of their car to pass others.

Both sports are heavily heavily equipment based, this is a fact, the comparison i have made at least makes sense to me. Cap it and let the true players shine, not those who can live behind a wall of paint.

my 2 cents, I really dont care either way but if I had to make a choice I say go with ramping and remove the possibility of cheating guns and allow for more exciting moves instead of hiding sitting playing machine gun vs machine gun. Who knows, it might just be the exact same amount of fun guys!!!!

Tom Andreski Rocks my socks

Last edited by gijoe1254 : 12-17-2008 at 05:04 PM.
gijoe1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 PM #78
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by imwayne002 View Post
On stock settings (maybe a little trigger work), on semi.
Aha!

Stock settings are not semi.

- Chris

Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:03 PM #79
gijoe1254
this color ends in urple

also lets keep this thread civil, no bashing on others for their opinions, this is just to see what the college players think, not to bash someone cause they have a different opinion than you.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:07 PM #80
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe1254 View Post
Both sports are heavily heavily equipment based, this is a fact, the comparison i have made at least makes sense to me. Cap it and let the true players shine, not those who can live behind a wall of paint.
The part where your analogy doesn't work is that engine horsepower has no correlation to the driver. It's just how big of an engine you build. THEORETICALLY (although I don't believe it's true in practice) it's the PLAYER who makes the gun shoot faster in semi-auto.

A better racing analogy would be that NASCAR race teams have to add weight to their cars to accommodate the weight of their drivers - i.e. a 160 lb driver will have an extra 20 lbs of weight in his car compared to a 180 lb driver so there isn't an advantage to the driver being lighter, because NASCAR doesn't think weight loss is a skill that should factor in to racing.

Which brings up the question: Should ability to shoot fast in semi-auto even be a skill that factors into winning a paintball competition? And if so, how much?

Should it be like weight in NASCAR, where it is taken out of the equation, height in basketball, where it's definitely part of the equation?

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

Old 12-17-2008, 05:08 PM #81
ar2b8

ar2b8 plays in the PSP
ar2b8 is an NCPA player
ar2b8 is an NCPA National Champion
ar2b8 plays in the APPA D4 division
its ok cdub, i guess u have just been cheating for the last 6 years that we have been playing together.... well...not according to the rules, but chris says ur cheating..... hes always right.

ooo, and just so everyone know, chris on isu has played psp events with me, and he still shoots people like crazy, he is still a baller at psp ramping, but shooting 20+ when people are shooting 12 or so at you kinda makes things easier.

Last edited by ar2b8 : 12-17-2008 at 05:11 PM.
ar2b8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:12 PM #82
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl plays in the PSP
If I say I THINK something, I might or might not be right - it's just my opinion.

If I say I *KNOW* something, then I am almost always right, because I don't run around saying I *KNOW* something unless I'm sure, and I'm usually smart enough to know if I have enough information to be sure.

And I KNOW that the vast majority of electronic guns are not true semi-auto in stock mode out of the box. They wouldn't sell, because the buyer would think it "shot slow".

- Chris

Old 12-17-2008, 05:22 PM #83
imwayne002

imwayne002 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
imwayne002 is an NCPA National Champion
imwayne002 plays in the APPA D4 division
I meant stock timings (which is why i said stock... ON SEMI).
I just don't understand why you would care if people shoot faster then other people on semi. The refs have every right to check ANY gun they guess might be bouncing/ramping. They have every reason to check my gun, which is why I let them, every time. I'm not worried they will find any cheating, because I'm not.

Do you have a 118.3mph slap shot? OR can you throw a baseball 101.9mph? I can't. But the NHL and MLB don't limit their play just because they are faster than everyone else, because its not just their speed that wins games. Soo, limiting ROF because its not "fair" is just stupid.

Ken Griffey Jr. Ego8
imwayne002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:30 PM #84
gijoe1254
this color ends in urple

Raehl,
Thanks for polishing my analogy, that does make more sense.