Kolder
The Commish

Kolder is a Mega Moderator
Kolder is a Supporting Member
Kolder is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Kolder is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBR View Post
I have. It was called last year. And you're right. You do have better players. And you only won by 5 while we turned it over 4 times and missed two FGs. If you think we aren't going to be a force soon...lol. This team was supposed to be 6-6 at best this year in the SEC. Surpassing expectations and getting better faster than anyone thought.
If you really think last year's offense was worse not sure you understand how football works. The game wasn't even as close as your little moral victory we are rising self would like to make it out to be. Gave a garbage time TD because everyone knew the game was over.

I don't think you will be a force soon. You'll be a very solid middle of the pack team. Why does no one understand you need a legitimate defense to be competitive at the top level? Your defense? It's no where close to that.

██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2012, 03:12 AM #2249
the other one
Goldy

has been a member for 10 years
the other one supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolder View Post
your little gimmick spread offense
I have a sort of legitimate question: when does something (such as a spread offense) cease to become a gimmick, and become a "real" thing?

Old 10-21-2012, 03:14 AM #2250
Kolder
The Commish

Kolder is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by the other one View Post
I have a sort of legitimate question: when does something (such as a spread offense) cease to become a gimmick, and become a "real" thing?
When it wins a championship.

████████████████████████
Old 10-21-2012, 03:17 AM #2251
BenderBR
OPEC ****ed up

Quote:
If you really think last year's offense was worse not sure you understand how football works. The game wasn't even as close as your little moral victory we are rising self would like to make it out to be. Gave a garbage time TD because everyone knew the game was over.

I don't think you will be a force soon. You'll be a very solid middle of the pack team. Why does no one understand you need a legitimate defense to be competitive at the top level? Your defense? It's no where close to that.
New scheme with first year coaches and almost zero depth. This game was just as close as it looked and no one watching would say A&M didn't belong. If you don't think A&M is building, you haven't been paying attention. And I'm a-ok with that. At least you can keep drinking all weekend, not like you have any hard classes at LSU.

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:21 AM #2252
SmartyJones
Best in the World

SmartyJones helped look for balloons
SmartyJones is playing at Living Legends III
SmartyJones has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
When it's used successfully in the SEC and NFL.

LSU was much better on offense last year. JJ's running threat at least kept defenses honest and Lee was no where near as inept as Mett.

The reality is somewhere in between what you two are arguing. LSU isn't going to fade to mediocrity; they'll still be a perennial power and get top recruits every year. But Texas A&M isn't going to be a whipping boy for this conference. As they get more top 10 classes and stack up some depth they'll be a real threat to the top of the league.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:23 AM #2253
the other one
Goldy

Quote:
When it wins a championship.
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
In the second year of the Chizik era of Auburn football, offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn continued use of his no-huddle hurry-up schemes. This offense relies on an attacking ground game from different spread sets, using fakes and misdirection, to set up a play action passing attack through the air, while snapping the ball almost as soon as it is placed to give the defense less time to react to different looks.
....soooo.... Two years ago?

Old 10-21-2012, 03:28 AM #2254
Kolder
The Commish

Kolder is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by the other one View Post
From Wikipedia:

....soooo.... Two years ago?
I guess you could call the cam newton offense a spread offense. But they won that championship in conjunction with a good defense. Something none of those other year in and year out spread teams have.

████████████████████████
Old 10-21-2012, 03:30 AM #2255
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

1/4 mile 8.71 @ 155mph
Old 10-21-2012, 03:33 AM #2256
SmartyJones
Best in the World

Spread is a huge generalization, as there are so many variations of it at all levels of the sport. It comes down to discretion. TT's spread with Graham Harrell was gimmick spread. New England's spread was not.

Now things that are gimmicky all the time: wildcat, triple option, most pistol formation stuff, the Tebow spread-option
Old 10-21-2012, 03:39 AM #2257
the other one
Goldy

Quote:
they won that championship in conjunction with a good defense. Something none of those other year in and year out spread teams have.
Absolutely..... But I'm just asking about the offense being referred to as a "gimmick", when it's most assuredly not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyJones View Post
Spread is a huge generalization, as there are so many variations of it at all levels of the sport. It comes down to discretion. TT's spread with Graham Harrell was gimmick spread. New England's spread was not.

Now things that are gimmicky all the time: wildcat, triple option, most pistol formation stuff, the Tebow spread-option
I disagree... If something is used on a consistent basis with positive results, then it means that teams are seeing what they're doing (through game film), and still aren't able to stop it (without having a superior defense in every way)....... Then that's not a gimmick, that's a successful offensive scheme.

If something is done maybe once or twice and works sometimes but not others.... That's where I see the "gimmick" label as being appropriate. I think trick plays are a gimmick, but not an entire offensive playbook. Like Oregon's "fake out" extra point formations.... THAT'S a gimmick. Their consistent playcalling is just their offense.

....and this is all my own opinions, of course, which may very well be incorrect.

Last edited by the other one : 10-21-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:51 AM #2258
SmartyJones
Best in the World

Thing is, the wildcat and triple option are not used effectively unless they catch people off-guard. That's why they are gimmicks. I suppose I should have clarified on my last example, but I meant the Tebow spread option in the NFL. Although I still say his success in college was more a result of a tremendous cast of talent around him.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:55 AM #2259
the other one
Goldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyJones View Post
Thing is, the wildcat and triple option are not used effectively unless they catch people off-guard. That's why they are gimmicks. I suppose I should have clarified on my last example, but I meant the Tebow spread option in the NFL. Although I still say his success in college was more a result of a tremendous cast of talent around him.
I can agree with those statements.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:10 AM #2260
SYSTEM
Notomated

SYSTEM is a Mega Moderator
SYSTEM is a Supporting Member
SYSTEM donated to help Peyton Trent
SYSTEM supports Bob Gurnsey
Thread has over 2000 posts. Continue here: https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3884452
This SYSTEM user account is not controlled by a person. It's primary function is to automatically split large threads. System also masks the identity of staff members who give infractions. If you have a question, or if SYSTEM becomes self-aware, please post it in the Talk to Mods/Admins section.