PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-28-2014, 12:24 PM #85
teamaddicted

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysonG View Post
I'd like to thank Texas Storm, Team Addicted, Fuel, Mox Nix, The Garcia brothers, and Greg Pauley (I'm sure there's a few more I'm forgetting) because at one point I hated your mother****ers more than anyone. You made me who I am today.

See your being a ***** again... quit thanking people it makes you look soft.

Just make a point of #$$%ing one of us up the next time you see us, that's all I ever wanted you to do
teamaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2014, 12:35 PM #86
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

GraysonG is a Professional paintball player
GraysonG owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
GraysonG plays in the APPA Pro division
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamaddicted View Post
See your being a ***** again... quit thanking people it makes you look soft.

Just make a point of #$$%ing one of us up the next time you see us, that's all I ever wanted you to do
I can say it now only because you're an old withered man that needs a cane to walk
BKiTk
GraysonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:37 PM #87
Methodcaptain

plays in the NXL
Methodcaptain plays in the APPA D4 division
Methodcaptain supports Shocker RSX
Methodcaptain supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
I believe the game is stagnant because we live in an age where everyone gets a trophy and a pat on the back. And once some kid realizes he's the local superstar he becomes complacent. Every kid is shielded from failure and doubt and today, that was my only message.
This is probably the truest statement I've heard in awhile. This goes beyond paintball, and is more of a social problem. We've become complacent and soft as a country.

This thread has some great thought behind it.

WANTED: Blue and Green angel A1 FLY grips
Wanted - Angel A1/SB/AR:K parts and markers broken or working condition.

Still playing for you DAD (6/10/57 - 11/17/06). We all miss you.
Methodcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:51 PM #88
Steven_Bro

plays in the NXL
Steven_Bro posts videos on PbNation
Steven_Bro has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Steven_Bro has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'd like to say this is a terrible way to bring new people into the sport, but this is the way I was brought into the sport.

Me: "Coach, I'm hit on the loader!"

Coach: "I don't care, keep playing until you get over the pain and the fear!!!"

Me: "Coach I'm out of paint, I have to get off the field!"

Coach: "Heres my F***ING POD pack, you're still in!!!"

I got ran through by 2 guys in a 1v5. 10 in my back and like 5 to the neck/head. I didn't fear getting shot anymore though.
Steven_Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:58 PM #89
teamaddicted

Quote:
I can say it now only because you're an old withered man that needs a cane to walk
You always have been the funny guy sent here to amuse us all... I'll put that quote in my data bank for later.

BTW my 11yr old should be making his debut in your AXBL-Lite this year and not in "Young Guns" division.

His a$$ is playing divisional paintball or he isn't playing at all. There will be a new stream of "punk kids" coming to a field near you shortly

Trust me when I tell you this one pi$$es excellence and his spit has been known to start forest fires, I also know of several others in this same age group that have a very similar bloodline.

I'll leave this thread with a quote from a true OG Player - "Winning means nothing if I didn't get to punish people along the way!"

Last edited by teamaddicted : 11-28-2014 at 01:24 PM.
teamaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:04 PM #90
Team Live Wire 911
*««FireFighter»»*

Team Live Wire 911 plays in the PSP
Team Live Wire 911 supports Ninja Paintball
Team Live Wire 911 supports Empire
I hate the way people think now days and their self pity everyone needs a trophy attitudes. I say step up or get the **** out of the way so someone willing to put in the work and effort will.

NXL,MSXL,and MWXL Referee.
Team Live Wire 911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:07 PM #91
Goballsdeep
Game On

Goballsdeep is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I agree with Grayson, but in a slighty different light.

I think what most people who play paintball today lack is hunger. Nobody wakes up in the morning and feels an aching to go out and smash everyone on the field that day at practice. They assume that by just showing up and going through all the motions will simply make them a better player by default. Afterall, they are practicing right?

I played some tournament paintball, but the biggest thing I focused on sports wise growing up was racing Downhill on my Mountain-bike. Thats where I had my hunger, so I spent all my freetime out of school riding, building trails for me to train on over the weekend since the closest race worthy track was hours away, and I took training in the gym and time on my roadbike for cardio seriously.

But even after all that work, If I showed up to the race and wasn't mentally hungry to stand on that top spot, I would blow my weekend. Unlike paintball you only have one shot in racing downhill to prove yourself. You mess up in your on race run and your weekend is bust. Being hungry for the win not only focused me, but also drove me to take the risks along the way to the podium. If I wasn't hungry to smash everyones else time and stand on the top looking down at those sorry fools in the crowd, I sure as hell wasn't gonna send some stupid double to get the fastest line, or stay off my brakes as long as I can going into each corner. And while you can take risk's while playing paintball, they aren't to the same level as what you can face racing. I have broken quite a few bones, countless stitches, and a few concussions to remind me of those days. Not to mention watching a few of my buddies end up worse, I helped carry my friend off the mountain in a stretcher with a broken femur.

And in the end did I go pro? Nope, I wasn't lucky enough to get the kind of results and attention from companies you need to race in the international scene.

Did I get paid at all? Nope, I was lucky to even break even. The biggest cash prize I ever got was 150 bucks. And race entry was 100, and then you have to add the coast of gas and motel, not to mention tires at 75 bucks each, and if you think a thousand dollar paintball gun is pricey, try a full blown race prepped bike at 5k easy.

If you need to skip breakfast or not eat for days until you win an even to get hungry. Better lock up your fridge.

So yeah, I think all you paintball guys are whimps. Break a few bones and risk life an limb on your way to the top. Then we can start talking.
Goballsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:20 PM #92
Jfive

It is a generationinal thing. I see it everyday. If I wanted shoes or clothes, a car a new gun or lax stick I would work to get it. That would be after school after practice on the weekends in the rain. I just did not matter because I wanted it!
When it was 8 on me at Cup in 2000 I shot 4 before Storm bunkered me out.

I have been in a player coach role for two years now and what I see is a lot of ability and no desire to work hard, play hard or practice hard. I have coached basketball, soccer, lacrosse, cheerleading, and now paintball. Paintball players impress me the least.

As far as money being the reason someone is not living up to there potential, I find quite the opposite to be true. If you have the desire, the passion, the skill, the money will find you. Whether you play with a cocker, a mag, an axe or a Luxe the gun matters less than the mindset.

When the 40 year old 275# back player is the first one down field to bunker the last guy out when the 15yr old front player is two bunkers away....yeah don't get me started! Those who want to win will in life and in Paintball will. Sadly most parents do not push hard enough and give there kids the world without expectation.

My girls 8 and 9 will play Pro if they want, desire, need to; they will be successful regardless of what they choose to do. Grayson Goff the are coming for you with there watermelon splashes mini's and pink jt flexes just so you know who that girl with the blonde ponytail is!
Old 11-28-2014, 01:32 PM #93
the_sponge
the_sponge

Like the post Grayson. It brought back so many fond memories of growing up on paintball. I was a lone little kid getting pounded by adults every week, and I had to learn how to beat them or literally get "beaten."

However, I had to one-ball from paintballs I picked-off the ground many weeks just so that I could show-up every weekend.

It's tough to compete and develop when you're struggling to pay to play. Kids now, with tight budgets and sluggish economic outlooks, are doing all they can to get on the field.
the_sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:37 PM #94
Nick Brockdorff

Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
The problem here is in essence it makes the game more stagnant if I can be content keeping my spot.

I don't touch on it at all in the article, but I've plenty of kids with the physical skills to blow me out of the water, but in the end that lacked that (no pun intended) X-factor quality that makes them great. I can honestly watch someone play a few points and can immediately tell if they have what it takes to play at the top level or not. It's the small things that count and kids stopped caring about the small things somewhere along the way. They care more about winning in some **** division and looking agg on a video.

People in Texas thought Alex was ****ing nuts bumping a bunch of kids from D3 to D1 and that they'd get crushed. X-factor won a series title that year. X-factor bumped to Pro in 2006 with almost every pro team thinking we'd be the next punching bag for them. Our first tournament we made Sunday. 4 tournaments later we made the finals. 1 tournament after that we won a PSP. We had an incredible desire to prove people wrong and somewhere along the way, this sport has lost it. Not everyone, but a fat lazy majority.
As said, I agree on the mental toughness thing

But, I am also saying that unless you are speaking to a change in society generally, there is a reason the young players today are different... and that reason has to be found in paintball.

The smaller teams, smaller fields and faster guns, has meant that the game is infinitely more technical today, than it was when Avalanche was a good team.

The large emphasis on the technical side of the game, means that you need to train your technical skills that much more to get good.

That comes at a cost, if you are even in a situation where your team is motivated for doing that kind of thing.... and that cost can make many players stop trying, even if they have the potential.
Nick Brockdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:50 PM #95
Nick Brockdorff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Knop View Post
Nick,

Back when that picture was taken I was 37 years old. I could run 5 miles and trained in the gym 5 days a week. The majority of the guys on our team other than maybe Ed and myself had world class speed.
That will be the first time anyone said Travis. Jon or Todd H. had "world class speed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Knop View Post
Now the troubling part for me that I don't understand is why you'd have to train 3 - 4 times a week? The fields are the all the same and everyone plays the same. You live behind guns that are super fast that don't break paint. You run what, 10 yards to get to the snake, try and make it to the dorito without getting shot, move up, get an angle, put a guy and then go bunker him and try not to get penalties.

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but yes the game has changed, it's removed all the creativity out of it and turned players into drones.

Just my 2 cents.
The change means, that you have to drill a great deal more to hack it now... BECAUSE the creative aspect has diminished.

Running and gunning to the corner, while putting every ball within a 10 inch circle on back centre, is not something you just do because you are talented, and nobody could do it in those days.

Snapshooting accurately again and again in under 0.24 seconds, on an opponent posted on you 10 yards away, is not something you "just do" either.... and again, nobody could do it properly back then.

So yes, the game is more boring and repetitive today, and that is exactly why people need to train much more to hack it as pros.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:52 PM #96
Nick Brockdorff

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sponge View Post
I was a lone little kid getting pounded by adults every week
Anyone here from child services?
Old 11-28-2014, 01:59 PM #97
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goballsdeep View Post
I agree with Grayson, but in a slighty different light.

I think what most people who play paintball today lack is hunger. Nobody wakes up in the morning and feels an aching to go out and smash everyone on the field that day at practice. They assume that by just showing up and going through all the motions will simply make them a better player by default. Afterall, they are practicing right?

I played some tournament paintball, but the biggest thing I focused on sports wise growing up was racing Downhill on my Mountain-bike. Thats where I had my hunger, so I spent all my freetime out of school riding, building trails for me to train on over the weekend since the closest race worthy track was hours away, and I took training in the gym and time on my roadbike for cardio seriously.

But even after all that work, If I showed up to the race and wasn't mentally hungry to stand on that top spot, I would blow my weekend. Unlike paintball you only have one shot in racing downhill to prove yourself. You mess up in your on race run and your weekend is bust. Being hungry for the win not only focused me, but also drove me to take the risks along the way to the podium. If I wasn't hungry to smash everyones else time and stand on the top looking down at those sorry fools in the crowd, I sure as hell wasn't gonna send some stupid double to get the fastest line, or stay off my brakes as long as I can going into each corner. And while you can take risk's while playing paintball, they aren't to the same level as what you can face racing. I have broken quite a few bones, countless stitches, and a few concussions to remind me of those days. Not to mention watching a few of my buddies end up worse, I helped carry my friend off the mountain in a stretcher with a broken femur.

And in the end did I go pro? Nope, I wasn't lucky enough to get the kind of results and attention from companies you need to race in the international scene.

Did I get paid at all? Nope, I was lucky to even break even. The biggest cash prize I ever got was 150 bucks. And race entry was 100, and then you have to add the coast of gas and motel, not to mention tires at 75 bucks each, and if you think a thousand dollar paintball gun is pricey, try a full blown race prepped bike at 5k easy.

If you need to skip breakfast or not eat for days until you win an even to get hungry. Better lock up your fridge.

So yeah, I think all you paintball guys are whimps. Break a few bones and risk life an limb on your way to the top. Then we can start talking.
You had a drive and hunger that most people will never realize. I'm sure you pulled from positive and negative experiences that pushed you to be that driven.
BKiTk
Old 11-28-2014, 02:02 PM #98
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sponge View Post
It's tough to compete and develop when you're struggling to pay to play. Kids now, with tight budgets and sluggish economic outlooks, are doing all they can to get on the field.
Yup and I saw that in Colombia. I see that in Texas too. A kid that will do any kind of work to make just that little extra bit of money to buy more paint. **** we've had plenty that come out and pod all day for us because they want to learn from being in our pit and get some paintballs to shoot the next weekend.
BKiTk
Old 11-28-2014, 02:06 PM #99
InverT
Product of the 717

InverT plays in the PSP
InverT supports Team VICIOUS
InverT plays in the APPA D4 division
InverT supports DLX Technology
InverT owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Grayson you hit the nail on the head man. I go back and watch videos such as Bring out your Dead, Natural Selection, etc. to reminisce about the way the top ranks used to be when I was a young player trying to find a way up the divisions. The grit and determination to trample over your opponents then and pure competitive energy that was seen then is what made me want to get better and compete at the higher levels.

The more I watch events nowadays it seems, as you said, the majority of teams have lost their fire. Especially some former powerhouse teams that can't seem to climb out of Challengers division. It's refreshing to see teams such as X-Factor, 187, and Revo come out to the start box foaming at the mouth ready to inflict as much damage as they can on their way through to the other side of the field.

Hopefully one day soon the fire will be rekindled.

USAF 2W1
InverT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:09 PM #100
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Brockdorff View Post
As said, I agree on the mental toughness thing

But, I am also saying that unless you are speaking to a change in society generally, there is a reason the young players today are different... and that reason has to be found in paintball.

The smaller teams, smaller fields and faster guns, has meant that the game is infinitely more technical today, than it was when Avalanche was a good team.

The large emphasis on the technical side of the game, means that you need to train your technical skills that much more to get good.

That comes at a cost, if you are even in a situation where your team is motivated for doing that kind of thing.... and that cost can make many players stop trying, even if they have the potential.
It is more technical but now there are so many resources for players to draw from and improve their game (BKi Paintball included).

I'm in the position to offer a pro spot to any player I see fit and it's never the technical game thats lacking. Half of them could work me over in drills and run faster to a corner than me. It's that killer instinct forged in a dog eat dog environment that they lack. I've talked about it a lot recently in my members only section but it's wasted seconds in a game that cost them a pro spot, not their ability to snap shoot or run and gun. They lack that urgency that I developed because people told me I couldn't do it.
BKiTk
Old 11-28-2014, 02:17 PM #101
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

I've been on the receiving end and moments like this make or break you. If the roles were reversed, I want nothing more than to pound someone into the ground and I'd do anything and everything possible to make sure the next time I squared off, I'd be the victor. That's what got me here today.

And if it's something that breaks you, that's not necessarily a bad thing. You'll find a division or style that best suits your needs and desire.

I gave up on basketball and tennis to be the best paintball player I could possibly be. Did I fail in those sports? Yes to a degree but those failures and my lack of desire showed me what it would take to be one of the best in paintball. I still will play basketball or tennis for fun and that's my goal. I failed to be one of the best, re-calibrated my goal, and enjoy both those sports immensely still.
BKiTk

Last edited by GraysonG : 11-28-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:22 PM #102
dm5n6
REVO

dm5n6 is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
dm5n6 plays in the APPA Pro division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad255 View Post
Lame *** post. I quit paintball because of that tough guy bull **** attitude and I'm back now because it's gone. Trained by Tommy MauMau, if we ****ed up we were shot in the back a bunch of times with a Tippmann cranked all up. While I appreciate what I was taught and it made me a good player, it wasn't that attitude that did anything. It was everything else. What that attitude did was raise a bunch of angsty *** kids who thought they were ****ing amazing because some dude bullied them all day. Whether they took anything from it and got better or not, they still thought they were god's gift because they got slapped around by a dude being all self righteous such as yourself. I see what you're doing here with the reverse psychology and all but see ya with that horrible nonsense, it's gone for a reason.

It didn't work.

Okay, Here is my side of the story with this one.

For one, Grayson you hit it spot on I don't think REVO would be where we are without some ******* sitting behind us giving us the "You guys suck and i doubt you'll even make it out of prelims with the way you're playing."

Second 4-5 of us REVO guys came out of the same home field ROUTE 40 Paintball Park run by Tommy Maliszewski. For anyone who doesn't know who that is he was the team captain of the original IMAGE and became one of those legendary players that played the cut throat game of the olden days. I can personally thank and say i would not be where I am at now if I did not have Tommy screaming at me at the top of his lungs with a Tippman 98 cranked up saying if I didnt move when told or fast enough I would pay for it. Having that cut throat paintball help me play at a higher level. Look at us now, we might be young and the new kids on the block in this age but we sure do know about the old school grind to keep you up there.

I pray to not see the next generation of pros become what Grayson is trying to explain to us here. Yeah playing nice is okay, but no professional football player, hockey player, or any professional sport at all made it to the top just being "nice." They all went through at one point in their careers a grind of blood, sweat, tears and hurt feelings to get where they are now, and I guarantee every single one of them has someone to thank for pushing them that last rep or last set of sprints in a ******* kind of way.

Im glad this has come from one of the best because I personally know myself when im at the field I push all of our local teams. I come across as an ******* but thats how I was taught and it worked for me.

Once again thank you Grayson for taking the time to get this off alot of our chest and finally stepping up and being the person to say what needed to be said.

Will it change? Who knows but hopefully the people who do read this will look at our sport differently and push themselves and others harder and not just ***** foot around anymore.
Chris Lloyd #07
DYE
RAZA
Exalt Paintball
dm5n6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:24 PM #103
LastarsonisT
I only have one rule...

LastarsonisT is a Paintball photographer
Lots of excuses in this thread.

Great points Grayson.

The gross lack in mental toughness goes far beyond the boundaries of tournament paintball. We encourage equality and every kid is told they're special when in all reality they are just another ordinary average run of the mill human. Why work to achieve greatness when you're told daily that you're born into that greatness?

Self-sacrifice is a thing of the past when you can simply whine, kick and scream until you get your way.

"It's expensive!" No **** it's expensive, but how bad do you WANT it? How bad do you want to compete at the top level? How badly do you want to share the field with the elite of the elite? If you want it bad enough finances, transportation, and all of the other run of the mill bull**** excuses won't matter. Successful people don't let excuses stop them from achieving their goals. They FEED on challenge, discouragement, and doubt.

If you're hung up on "taking 15 shots to the back" from an internet post, you're very likely part of the target audience for the message in first post. The message here isn't that pro players need to beat the **** out of people, it's that the current generation (and previous) of players isn't willing to work hard enough, sacrifice enough, and listen enough to swell the ranks of professional level players.

If you want to get to that tier, then figure the **** out how to do it. If you just like to say you want to play pro and aren't willing to risk everything you have to make that dream become a reality, understand that you will never achieve that goal.

Here's one last thought, in sports just like in business a group is successful when all of its components are focused on achieving a shared goal. If you want to grow and develop, find a team who's culture, values, and goals mirror or are similar to your own. Success comes when the burden is shared across the backs of many, when everyone is face down in the mud clawing against hell and high water to reach the top.

Being tough isn't about getting shot 15 times in the back if you **** up. Being tough is being WILLING to get your **** pushed in when you **** up if that's what it takes to get better.

When you go through hardships
& decide not to surrender,
that is strength.
LastarsonisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:27 PM #104
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm5n6 View Post
Okay, Here is my side of the story with this one.

For one, Grayson you hit it spot on I don't think REVO would be where we are without some ******* sitting behind us giving us the "You guys suck and i doubt you'll even make it out of prelims with the way you're playing."

Second 4-5 of us REVO guys came out of the same home field ROUTE 40 Paintball Park run by Tommy Maliszewski. For anyone who doesn't know who that is he was the team captain of the original IMAGE and became one of those legendary players that played the cut throat game of the olden days. I can personally thank and say i would not be where I am at now if I did not have Tommy screaming at me at the top of his lungs with a Tippman 98 cranked up saying if I didnt move when told or fast enough I would pay for it. Having that cut throat paintball help me play at a higher level. Look at us now, we might be young and the new kids on the block in this age but we sure do know about the old school grind to keep you up there.

I pray to not see the next generation of pros become what Grayson is trying to explain to us here. Yeah playing nice is okay, but no professional football player, hockey player, or any professional sport at all made it to the top just being "nice." They all went through at one point in their careers a grind of blood, sweat, tears and hurt feelings to get where they are now, and I guarantee every single one of them has someone to thank for pushing them that last rep or last set of sprints in a ******* kind of way.

Im glad this has come from one of the best because I personally know myself when im at the field I push all of our local teams. I come across as an ******* but thats how I was taught and it worked for me.

Once again thank you Grayson for taking the time to get this off alot of our chest and finally stepping up and being the person to say what needed to be said.

Will it change? Who knows but hopefully the people who do read this will look at our sport differently and push themselves and others harder and not just ***** foot around anymore.
Thanks Chris. I definitely wanted to hear from guys like yourself and from seasoned guys like Nick as well. This is just my story but I want to hear others too. Tommy was an OG and I was so fortunate to play with Andy Kopcok as well.
BKiTk
Old 11-28-2014, 02:30 PM #105
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastarsonisT View Post
Lots of excuses in this thread.

Great points Grayson.

The gross lack in mental toughness goes far beyond the boundaries of tournament paintball. We encourage equality and every kid is told they're special when in all reality they are just another ordinary average run of the mill human. Why work to achieve greatness when you're told daily that you're born into that greatness?

Self-sacrifice is a thing of the past when you can simply whine, kick and scream until you get your way.

"It's expensive!" No **** it's expensive, but how bad do you WANT it? How bad do you want to compete at the top level? How badly do you want to share the field with the elite of the elite? If you want it bad enough finances, transportation, and all of the other run of the mill bull**** excuses won't matter. Successful people don't let excuses stop them from achieving their goals. They FEED on challenge, discouragement, and doubt.

If you're hung up on "taking 15 shots to the back" from an internet post, you're very likely part of the target audience for the message in first post. The message here isn't that pro players need to beat the **** out of people, it's that the current generation (and previous) of players isn't willing to work hard enough, sacrifice enough, and listen enough to swell the ranks of professional level players.

If you want to get to that tier, then figure the **** out how to do it. If you just like to say you want to play pro and aren't willing to risk everything you have to make that dream become a reality, understand that you will never achieve that goal.

Here's one last thought, in sports just like in business a group is successful when all of its components are focused on achieving a shared goal. If you want to grow and develop, find a team who's culture, values, and goals mirror or are similar to your own. Success comes when the burden is shared across the backs of many, when everyone is face down in the mud clawing against hell and high water to reach the top.

Being tough isn't about getting shot 15 times in the back if you **** up. Being tough is being WILLING to get your **** pushed in when you **** up if that's what it takes to get better.
Couldn't have said it better myself...
BKiTk