GraysonG
aka George Ocean

has been a member for 10 years
GraysonG is a Professional paintball player
GraysonG owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
GraysonG plays in the APPA Pro division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4leaf4life View Post
I have a hard time with people using money as an issue in regards to making it to the next level. I see people time and time again complain about how if the sport was cheaper then they'd be better or could do so much more.

I do, believe me, completely understand that it does make things hard, but it is not impossible.

It is expensive to take a full team from Division 3 all the way to pro and very few teams have completed this full cycle and remain. However, I feel the part that is lacking here is general direction in the best ways to manage a team in this sense. Now this is a whole other issue then what I believe Grayson to be talking about so I'll jump to individuals.

If you WANT, if you DESIRE, if it is your PASSION, to be a professional at anything, I think we can all agree that a tremendous amount of sacrifice is going to be needed. In regards to what Grayson has said I feel that a lot of younger plays lack this drive and willingness to make sacrifices and the excuses that come in place of them are to easily excepted. I am not saying that there are not people who do not make these sacrifices but I can see where, and this is a MENTAL TOUGHNESS thing, the newest generation of players are lacking the depth and mental understanding of how to push themselves to become the next Pro players in our game.

Yes it takes money, get a job, get two, or three. Talk with your local store and field owner and do what it takes to get a personal sponsorship of a discount. Mix in with the best players you can and always strive to be the best, ALWAYS. Never, ever, waste your paint. Always use paint for drills, games, and more drills. Drive, take a bus, or fly to get yourself in a position to play with or against a pro team, we're way more excepting of people who we see strive to make it to us and don't ***** about it. Trust me we have all been there.

In the end we all make the choice to play this game and a lot of us have made incredible sacrifices to get to where we are. These are things you have to look inside yourself and figure out. It is not easy, the easiest thing to do is quit. While I hate to see it, it weeds out people who don't belong, are you one of those people?

Hey if need be hit myself up, and I'm sure Grayson will not hesitate to talk to any of you, if you have any questions about this.

Nick Slowiak

ps
Didn't mean to hijack your thread Grayson
I welcome your opinion anytime Nick, but **** you. I'm gonna **** you up next time we play
BKiTk
GraysonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2014, 11:55 PM #44
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolerskating Champ View Post
No disagreement with anything you said. I'm not trying to imply that if it were cheaper it would be easier, in lieu of not hijacking Grayson's thread I won't address any of your other points. I'm just offering a viewpoint from a divisional PSP player and full time student.
If you're a higher level divisional player in decent shape, it's not your gun skills or athleticism holding you back. We could line up and do snapping and laning drills and I doubt you'd be that far behind me at all.

It's the mental aspect of the game that lacking. I started BKi thinking I'd post 101 drills to do to make people better. Instead I've spent the vast majority of my time talking about the mental aspect. The one thing that separates you from me. That edge that's forged inside you because people doubted you and you wanted to prove them wrong more than anything else in the world.
BKiTk
Old 11-27-2014, 11:56 PM #45
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VIII
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Maybe players these days are taught to have more honor.

Maybe kids are realizing that going pro isn't the way they want to enjoy the sport.

Maybe the wild west has finally just burned out.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:30 AM #46
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post

Maybe kids are realizing that going pro isn't the way they want to enjoy the sport.

If honor is playing the lowest division possible, being the 'top dog' at your local field, and never truly challenging yourself then sure cause I see a lot of that now-a-days.

There's a few exceptions out there and that's who this message was for. It was meant for that one kid who will replace my old *** on X-factor, but he's gonna have to earn it through a trial by fire. There's plenty of ways to enjoy this sport outside playing pro and if that's your ultimate goal, then you shouldn't care two ****s about this article and will go on to enjoy how amazing paintball is.

Ever been to a heated pro practice where we don't have refs calling bull**** overshooting penalties on us? The Wild West is alive and well my friend.
BKiTk
Old 11-28-2014, 12:42 AM #47
collin 33
Enlightened

collin 33 plays in the PSP
pros are overrated
Old 11-28-2014, 12:45 AM #48
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin 33 View Post
pros are overrated
Exactly my point since we let you guys settle for being underrated. I should've been replaced years ago but at least I won't have to worry about a few of you coming after my spot.
BKiTk
Old 11-28-2014, 12:53 AM #49
merked12

merked12 is playing at Living Legends VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Knop View Post
Nick,

Back when that picture was taken I was 37 years old. I could run 5 miles and trained in the gym 5 days a week. The majority of the guys on our team other than maybe Ed and myself had world class speed.

Now the troubling part for me that I don't understand is why you'd have to train 3 - 4 times a week? The fields are the all the same and everyone plays the same. You live behind guns that are super fast that don't break paint. You run what, 10 yards to get to the snake, try and make it to the dorito without getting shot, move up, get an angle, put a guy and then go bunker him and try not to get penalties.

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but yes the game has changed, it's removed all the creativity out of it and turned players into drones.

Just my 2 cents.
Absolutely agree Mr. Knop.

The race to format has taken a lot of creativity away from the game IMO. Plus, it's taken a lot of the paintball only skills away, or at least lessened them.

Like a baseball player, there is tons of baseball players even in MLB that aren't great athletes and are not very good at other sports but are great baseball players. Maybe it's the bat contact, situational play, throwing arm, etc.

Some paintball players in the past were not great on paper but had a gift of timing, gun skills, etc. that made up for their lack of mind-blowing athletic abiities.

Plus with sideline coaching, the concept of timing the perfect move at the perfect time is certainly cheapened because the other team will be alerted when you're making the move, turn to you adn blow your face off - even if they lacked the proper field awareness to make it happen.

I certaintly miss the old 7 and 10 man days, yes the games were longer and there wasn't so much action but the mental aspect of the game was so appealing.

All the best Mr. Knop.

Last edited by merked12 : 11-28-2014 at 12:55 AM.
merked12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:54 AM #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin 33 View Post
pros are overrated
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysonG View Post
Exactly my point since we let you guys settle for being underrated. I should've been replaced years ago but at least I won't have to worry about a few of you coming after my spot.
Respect your elders son...

This real paintball mentality is the way to go

Last edited by 305 : 11-28-2014 at 12:57 AM.
305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:38 AM #51
Methodcaptain

plays in the NXL
Methodcaptain plays in the APPA D4 division
Methodcaptain supports Shocker RSX
Methodcaptain supports Ninja Paintball
Disclaimer: This is just one player's opinion. Feel free to disagree lol. Any players I mention are for example and illustration only to explain my point of view.

I've been playing for almost 20 years, and this post does bring back memories. I remember being a kid, and really relishing the idea of playing professional paintball. I don't want to bore everyone with my underwhelming background, but as I played more and moved up, I realized that being at "professional" paintball player in the late 90's and early 2000's really wasn't professional at all.

Teams were professional because they paid the entry fee to play at that level. Yes, you had some great players come out of that era, and some great teams that built the foundation for the sport as we know it today. They were not, however, required to act like professionals. Many of the players who formed the most recent iteration of tournament paintball pushed to make the sport more athletic, and thus pushed the wallets of many "non-athletic" players out of tournament paintball. Look at magazines from that era, and you'll see some players that these days wouldn't make a roster just based on waistline alone! Those players had tons of money that they were dumping into the tournaments. Not all of them were bad players either. Remember: paintball still requires you to have shooting skills, which isn't denoted by body type.

So, those players are gone from professional tournaments, and so is their money. That money funded great companies like Smart Parts, Dye, WDP, Airgun Designs, and many more. Those companies sponsored teams at the professional level, because they had the cashflow to do so. Teams like Avalanche were funded by non-professional players just trying to get into the tournament scene at the time.

To me this post lacks the definition of what it truly means to be a "professional" paintball player. I know what it means to me, but what does it mean to everyone else?

The players these days act more professional that players in in the past. Is being professional acting more mature?, or is it simply the mental and athletic skill set to play small format paintball (tournaments have shrunk from 15-man and 10 man events down to 5-man)? Much like the NFL, the conduct of players has become more scrutinized, and it has changed the game. Players are watched and penalized for misconduct that used to be acceptable. If you put 15 balls on anyone in a tournament these days, you stand a chance to get penalized for overshooting. That penalty was almost non-existent in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Back in the old days, you could swear at refs, threaten people, and pretty much be a completely horrible person while playing paintball at the "professional" level. I've been around long enough to see it. It was idolized in magazines, and even in the early days of paintball on the internet. You had players with bad boy images, (Chris Lasoya, Frank Connell are a few that come to mind). We have multiple instances of these "old school" players that you mention, who did things that are no longer acceptable. I can look up examples on youtube right now. I could even look up X-Factory tryouts, and your team actually kept some of those "old school" attitudes at an arms distance when reviewing players.

I'm sure those guys were "tough", but the comparisons aren't really apples to apples. They were tough because they didn't have the rules and structure that the game has today. They were "tough" because they did whatever they wanted to do. Today, many of those players would have been penalized, and even suspended/banned from events for some of their actions.

The format of the game has changed, the economy of the world has changed (many people lack the ability to afford the 15bps like the old days), and the overall expectations of players has changed.

I appreciate the overall message in the post, which is meant to push and urge players to step up. My question is why should they? The golden age of free rides (sponsorships) ended in the early 2000s'. Those old school teams used up all of that money.

That "soul" you talk about is from a game that was in its fledgling years. Tournament paintball was young, and a new venture. Now it's been done, and sadly it isn't viewed to be as exciting as it once was. The "soul" was all the new teams and players playing not just national events, but regional and local as well. Gone are the days of 20-30 teams showing up to a local 5-man. You're lucky to get 10.

My challenge would be not to get players to step up to tournaments (yet). My challenge would be to the industry and the players to spread the word about the sport, and get it to grow like it did in the 90's and early 2000's. Only then will you restore that "soul" that you miss.

The game is stagnant because we aren't bringing any more players for you to shoot in the side of the head....

.....or maybe some players are smart enough to know they aren't going to be rewarded enough to get shot in the side of the head?

Again, this is just my opinion.

WANTED: Blue and Green angel A1 FLY grips
Wanted - Angel A1/SB/AR:K parts and markers broken or working condition.

Still playing for you DAD (6/10/57 - 11/17/06). We all miss you.
Methodcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:04 AM #52
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Quote:
Well the current situation isn't working either. Why do you think I'm still playing pro? I should've had 12 kids breathing down my neck to take my spot. Kids these days lack the mental toughness and killer instinct that was forged back in the day by bloody reminders on the side of your head.

Lame *** excuse, come back and prove me wrong.
you're in your late 20's. not late 30's or early 40's. do you think the retirement age is early? hense the (kids trying to take my spot)? that's nonsense. look at pestana and shane howe. both in their 40's. thomas taylor is about 35 too.

and ya, i agree with you on certain things...we don't see anymore devestating kfeds or oliver langs coming into the sport anymore..and they came in with a BANG! haven't seen anyone do that since then. and replacing you with a YOUNGER kid is committing suicide. i haven't seen that work EVER! experience over EVERYTHING in this game. don't care how fast you are. its all about brains

"Kids these days lack the mental toughness and killer instinct that was forged back in the day by bloody reminders on the side of your head."

thats because paintball has become a sport for rich people (im not saying everyones rich, but it is more expensive then any other sport i know of)...comes with the "daddy buy me a spot on heat or dynasty" attitude now.

Last edited by Trevor the great : 11-28-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Trevor the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:16 AM #53
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodcaptain View Post
Disclaimer: This is just one player's opinion. Feel free to disagree lol. Any players I mention are for example and illustration only to explain my point of view.

I've been playing for almost 20 years, and this post does bring back memories. I remember being a kid, and really relishing the idea of playing professional paintball. I don't want to bore everyone with my underwhelming background, but as I played more and moved up, I realized that being at "professional" paintball player in the late 90's and early 2000's really wasn't professional at all.

Teams were professional because they paid the entry fee to play at that level. Yes, you had some great players come out of that era, and some great teams that built the foundation for the sport as we know it today. They were not, however, required to act like professionals. Many of the players who formed the most recent iteration of tournament paintball pushed to make the sport more athletic, and thus pushed the wallets of many "non-athletic" players out of tournament paintball. Look at magazines from that era, and you'll see some players that these days wouldn't make a roster just based on waistline alone! Those players had tons of money that they were dumping into the tournaments. Not all of them were bad players either. Remember: paintball still requires you to have shooting skills, which isn't denoted by body type.

So, those players are gone from professional tournaments, and so is their money. That money funded great companies like Smart Parts, Dye, WDP, Airgun Designs, and many more. Those companies sponsored teams at the professional level, because they had the cashflow to do so. Teams like Avalanche were funded by non-professional players just trying to get into the tournament scene at the time.

To me this post lacks the definition of what it truly means to be a "professional" paintball player. I know what it means to me, but what does it mean to everyone else?

The players these days act more professional that players in in the past. Is being professional acting more mature?, or is it simply the mental and athletic skill set to play small format paintball (tournaments have shrunk from 15-man and 10 man events down to 5-man)? Much like the NFL, the conduct of players has become more scrutinized, and it has changed the game. Players are watched and penalized for misconduct that used to be acceptable. If you put 15 balls on anyone in a tournament these days, you stand a chance to get penalized for overshooting. That penalty was almost non-existent in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Back in the old days, you could swear at refs, threaten people, and pretty much be a completely horrible person while playing paintball at the "professional" level. I've been around long enough to see it. It was idolized in magazines, and even in the early days of paintball on the internet. You had players with bad boy images, (Chris Lasoya, Frank Connell are a few that come to mind). We have multiple instances of these "old school" players that you mention, who did things that are no longer acceptable. I can look up examples on youtube right now. I could even look up X-Factory tryouts, and your team actually kept some of those "old school" attitudes at an arms distance when reviewing players.

I'm sure those guys were "tough", but the comparisons aren't really apples to apples. They were tough because they didn't have the rules and structure that the game has today. They were "tough" because they did whatever they wanted to do. Today, many of those players would have been penalized, and even suspended/banned from events for some of their actions.

The format of the game has changed, the economy of the world has changed (many people lack the ability to afford the 15bps like the old days), and the overall expectations of players has changed.

I appreciate the overall message in the post, which is meant to push and urge players to step up. My question is why should they? The golden age of free rides (sponsorships) ended in the early 2000s'. Those old school teams used up all of that money.

That "soul" you talk about is from a game that was in its fledgling years. Tournament paintball was young, and a new venture. Now it's been done, and sadly it isn't viewed to be as exciting as it once was. The "soul" was all the new teams and players playing not just national events, but regional and local as well. Gone are the days of 20-30 teams showing up to a local 5-man. You're lucky to get 10.

My challenge would be not to get players to step up to tournaments (yet). My challenge would be to the industry and the players to spread the word about the sport, and get it to grow like it did in the 90's and early 2000's. Only then will you restore that "soul" that you miss.

The game is stagnant because we aren't bringing any more players for you to shoot in the side of the head....

.....or maybe some players are smart enough to know they aren't going to be rewarded enough to get shot in the side of the head?

Again, this is just my opinion.
You bring up some good points about the old days but maybe I wasn't specific enough in my OP.

To say we'll ever get that same soul you speak of back will probably be impossible. Paintball was a different game in the early stages of figuring out what it would become. To some degree I think money ruined that soul you speak of. In my post, I'm more referring to the lax approach a lot of upcoming players had over the past few years that I've witness first hand destroy any shot of becoming a solid pro player. The pro player of old was way different but not that far off from how we are today.

There's a difference between old school entitlement and old school hunger. Some of those players had more of the previous than the latter.

The US market lacks the sole you speak of but it can be found elsewhere. Europe and South America come to mind since I've been there and witnessed it. Teams actually stuck around for the awards ceremony which is sad that that blew my mind. I'm part of this problem too.

I'm tired of the money excuse. I just got back from two weekends of paintball in Colombia. We had a team practice/clinic the first Sunday and my team brought 4 cases of paint to play points between 10 dudes on 2 teams! They run the team on a shoestring budget and make every ball count. Give some of those guys one more year and the chance to tryout for a D1/Challengers team and they'd surprise everyone. I understand money can be a problem for a lot of kids with the right drive. But If they truly want to be great at this game, they'll find a way to make it work and that will make them that much tougher against someone who had it easy.

I wish you lived in a state like Texas because the AXBL would blow you away. We had 60-80 teams an event this past year. That kind of turnout says a lot about how the sport is growing again and to the guys who helped foster an amazing culture in Texas. Alex Martinez, Greg Pauley, Ryan Gray, and Jim from Zone to name a few.

Hopefully no one wants to play professional paintball for the money. Most of us make little to jack **** playing the level we do. Yeah we sell a gun and a few jerseys each year but the loss time at work would do more than make up for it (Obviously my situation is different but wasn't 1 year ago). We played because we ultimately wanted to prove something to ourselves and to the people who doubted us.

I believe the game is stagnant because we live in an age where everyone gets a trophy and a pat on the back. And once some kid realizes he's the local superstar he becomes complacent. Every kid is shielded from failure and doubt and today, that was my only message.
BKiTk
Old 11-28-2014, 02:20 AM #54
talebi007

if Danny Park can be "pro" then we ALL have a chance.
talebi007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:26 AM #55
merked12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post

Wow, well said my friend. Continued below.......

Quote:
If honor is playing the lowest division possible, being the 'top dog' at your local field, and never truly challenging yourself then sure cause I see a lot of that now-a-days.

Ever been to a heated pro practice where we don't have refs calling bull**** overshooting penalties on us? The Wild West is alive and well my friend.
I think that's what Castro is saying, you're making his point.

Is there really anything wrong with a kid going through college who wants to play a little paintball, challenge himself at some tournaments but wants to remain focused on his/her education and therefore can't put in the time to make it pro?

I'm from the Midwest and there was a guy here who is a promininent in the national scene, we'll call him Player X. Back then, he owned a fledgling paintball store and he had that old-school attitude you spoke of. He was around for several years, as several fields opened and closed rather quickly that he was associated with. Our local scene got lucky a few years later and an outstanding pro-level indoor/outdoor facility opened in the area, a nice family-owned business. This field was great, and gave us midwest guys an opportunity to play year-long. Unfortunately, the owners let Player X become involved in the field as well.

Several of this field's customers were college students who only had the means/desire to play locally or maybe some regional events. Unfortunately, Player X acted like he was Lombardi or something. He didn't have the mental acuity to understand these people were customers, not his players or property. Some examples:

-He punched an underage kid in the kidney for screwing up holding a lane.

-He sexually harrassed several players gfs/wives. Some of these women were actually minors.

-4 days after a customer spent 15K at his store for his college team's worth of guns and gear, he told the player to go home, sell his gear and never play again and mocked him and overshot him all day because he was playing like crap. Again, this is 4 days after this person gave him 15K in business....

-He was generally unapproachable and acted like other players that paid his bills weren't worthy of his time or even his decency because he had been on some good national teams and could be seen on some traumahead vids. Again, these are customers!

He was, without a doubt, the worst business owner I've ever seen in any field.

As you can imagine, this hurt the field's business as time went on, as well as our local scene. I personally know 13 people who were 1-3 times a week customers at that field but tired so much of Player X's attitude and moodiness they outright quit paintball. That's $30,000-$85,500 loss of yearly income. Not surprisingly, the field ended up going belly up like all of the ventures he was previously involved in.

I also had the "pleasure" of playing for a team he was brought in to coach our 2nd season. I won't bore you with the details but he did enough unethical crap that if paintball was like a major collegiate sport, our organization would've been put on sanctions if not given the death sentence entirely. Sadly, we had great owners but they were so scared of losing Player X as a coach because they felt he was a big reason for our success (which is prob true) so they turned a blind eye.

The final straw for me was on the flight home from a disappointing World Cup. Player X told a teammate and our owner that I "will never be anything.... In paintball and in life."

Funny that a guy who was living in his friend's basement till he was 33 years old who was also a failed entrepreneur with considerable anger management issues and I guess he suddenly became the expert on life success.

I ended up obtaining a degree in business a year after playing for Player X but went back to school and became a Paramedic. I can't say I'm this ParaGod, but I've been fortunate to have great partners and we have been honored on a few occassions for our work on very catastrophic calls.

I'm not alone either as many of the people Player X crapped on went on to be quite successful. Off the top of my head, I know of a lawyer, head of HR at Paypal, a sports agent and several who served our country overseas with pride and bravery. To think he thought he was too good for these people is comical.

Last I heard, Player X is a CSR for a major paintball company and is still playing/coaching. I have a lot of respect for paintball, the people in the business and the hard work they put in to make it enjoyable for all of us. From the machinists and engineers to the warehouse people and CSRs. However, if I'm being real -

Paramedic > CSR in the Paintball Industry, in regards to life achievements.

Occassionally, he comes back into town and I see him at a field and we're cordial with one another. I think he's an egomaniac but there's no reason to hold anything against him. I do feel bad for the people who he cost $$$ because of his bad behavior though.

I play local rec ball now and while you may see it as me trying to be the 'top dog' and not challenging myself and somehow not honorable - I just see it as what it is. It's a passion, an awesome sport and probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on but it isn't something that you should put ahead of your education, family or career. Plus, I'm old now and these new kids would beat me into the ground!

I do appreciate your point of view and I wish you the best of luck in paintball and all your endeavors in the future. I shared this story as an example of how the old-school way sometimes isn't the best way to go for growing paintball. I think the mentality of overshooting and treating other players like they're in boot camp and not customers will only lead to less people playing and more closed fields.

Just my opinion. Novel out.

Last edited by merked12 : 11-28-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:28 AM #56
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor the great View Post
you're in your late 20's. not late 30's or early 40's. do you think the retirement age is early? hense the (kids trying to take my spot)? that's nonsense. look at pestana and shane howe. both in their 40's. thomas taylor is about 35 too.

and ya, i agree with you on certain things...we don't see anymore devestating kfeds or oliver langs coming into the sport anymore..and they came in with a BANG! haven't seen anyone do that since then. and replacing you with a YOUNGER kid is committing suicide. i haven't seen that work EVER! experience over EVERYTHING in this game. don't care how fast you are. its all about brains

thats because paintball has become a sport for rich people (im not saying everyones rich, but it is more expensive then any other sport i know of)...comes with the "daddy buy me a spot on heat or dynasty" attitude now.
I somewhat agree with your last point. Read above as I go a little more in-depth into it.

You seem to be arguing with me but that's my point. Thomas and Shane should've either been replaced or moved into a support/backer position years ago, but no kid said "**** that guy is old, I'm gonna take his spot". Those "old" dudes still have more drive then half of the players left in D1-2 and that's why they're still playing!

I'm 29 and I'd love to play at the top level for as long as those guys have but with my business (Shameless plug BKi Paintball) I set out to change that. Anyone is welcome to join whether they just want to beat they're buddies in recball or if they want to reach the pinnacle of the sport, but this message was for those striving for the top. I want some kid to push me beyond how far I can push myself and quite honestly that hasn't been the case the past 5-6 years.

I'd like to walk away from this game knowing that my name will most likely be forgotten but I would have a positive impact on the future generations and helped shape the young buck who got me cut from X-factor.
BKiTk
Old 11-28-2014, 02:38 AM #57
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by merked12 View Post
Wow, well said my friend. Continued below.......

I think that's what Castro is saying, you're making his point.

Is there really anything wrong with a kid going through college who wants to play a little paintball, challenge himself at some tournaments but wants to remain focused on his/her education and therefore can't put in the time to make it pro?

I'm from the Midwest and there was a guy here who is a promininent in the national scene, we'll call him Player X. Back then, he owned a fledgling paintball store. He was around for several years, as several fields opened and closed rather quickly and we were not fortunate as a scene to have a true modern field. We got lucky a few years later and had an outstanding pro-level indoor/outdoor facility open in the area. This field was great, and gave us midwest guys an opportunity to play year-long. Unfortunately, the owners let Player X become involved in the field as well.

Several of these players were college students who only had the means/desire to play locally or maybe some regional events. Unfortunately, this promininent figure acted like he was Lombardi or something. He didn't have the mental acuity to understand these people were customers, not his players or property. Some examples:

-He punched an underage kid in the kidney for screwing up holding a lane.

-He sexually harrassed several players gfs/wives. Again, some of these women were actually minors.

-He was often unapproachable and acted like other players he didn't feel were worthy unwelcomed. Again, these are customers!

-4 days after a customer spent 15K at his store for his college team's worth of guns and gear, he told the player to go home, sell his gear and never play again and mocked him and overshot him all day because he was playing like crap. Again, this is 4 days after this person gave him 15K in business....

Only in paintball is that type of bull**** activity accepted as being "tough". That's dog**** business practices, period. Can you imagine buying a car and a few days later that owner of the dealership harassing and threatening you? How likely are you to ever go back to that dealership?

As you can imagine, this hurt the field's business as time went on, as well as our local scene. I personally know 13 people who were 1-3 times a week customers at that field but tired so much of Player X's attitude and moodiness they outright quit paintball. That's $30,000-$85,500 loss of yearly income.

I also had the "pleasure" of playing for a team he was brought in to coach our 2nd season. During that year, I saw him choke a minor on an airplane because that kid upset him with a prank, threaten to fight us I don't know how many times and honestly do enough unethical that if paintball was like a major collegiate sport, our organization would've been put on sanctions if not given the death sentence entirely. Sadly, we had great owners but they were so scared of losing Player X as a coach as they thought he was tied into our success at that early stage of the team's existence so they turned a blind eye.

He also held it against me that I worked a lot to go to pay for college and paintball. We held practices Wed @5 and all day Sunday every week. I would have to hustle to make it to practice from work on Weds, and sometimes I would be late. He suggested I "didn't want it enough" because I wasn't willing to move back with my parents (at 22 years old) so I wouldn't have to work so much. This is a guy who was 11 years older than I was and living in his friend's basement, his friend with a wife and kid for that matter.......

The final straw for me was on the flight home from a disappointing World Cup. Player X told a teammate and our owner that I "will never be anything.... In paintball and in life."

Funny that a guy living in his friend's basement, with financial problems, failing business and considerable anger management issues suddenly became the expert on life success.

I ended up obtaining a degree in business a year after playing for Player X and went back to school and became a Paramedic. My partners and I will be honored in 2 weeks for our work in a grain accident in July where we were able to save the 2 patients trapped on that call. Thankfully, these victims are fully recovered and are back to work.

Player X's store failed, and he's still doing the playing/coaching and works for a major paintball company in an unskilled position I believe. Nothing wrong with that for the record. I have a lot of respect for paintball, the people in the business and the hard work they put in to make it enjoyable for all of us. However, if I'm being real -

Paramedic >>>>>> entry-level job in the Paintball Industry. In regards to life achievements.

I play local rec ball now and while you may see it as me trying to be the 'top dog' and not challenging myself - I just see it as what it is. Paintball really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. It's a passion, an awesome sport and probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on. My biggest thing these days is trying to grow our scene by showing people how much fun this strange game is and my desire to challenge myself at the highest level of paintball just isn't there anymore. Plus, I'm old now compared to these young kids and they would stomp me into the ground!

I do appreciate your point of view and I wish you the best of luck in paintball and all your endeavors in the future. However, I think the mentality of overshooting players and treating other players like they're in boot camp and not customers will only lead to less people playing and more closed fields.

Novel out.
My old paintball age has given me the wisdom to distinguish someone who wants to be great but lacks the mental fortitude to make it and someone who plays for the fun of it. Like I've said before, this post and that dog eat dog attitude is not for them. I will continue to encourage those players and create a positive environment for them to have fun in. This message was for the 1% of people out there who want to be great but may lack the proper motivation.

If any player out there finds themselves in a situation that's out of control of their own desires from the game, they should remove themselves and find a team that fits their style.
BKiTk
Old 11-28-2014, 02:41 AM #58
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by merked12 View Post
I play local rec ball now and while you may see it as me trying to be the 'top dog' and not challenging myself - I just see it as what it is. Paintball really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.
I'm sure your tog dog attitude is way different than the one I've seen and is not the problem I'm addressing. To me it sounds like your a good ambassador to the sport partly because you saw some ******* ruin it for a bunch of other people. Hopefully you can make up for the damage he caused.
BKiTk
Old 11-28-2014, 02:43 AM #59
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

Guys please remember the title of this topic. If you're goal was to never play professional paintball, it wasn't meant for you but I always welcome a challenging opinion. ****, it got me to where I am today.
BKiTk
Old 11-28-2014, 03:35 AM #60
Bob_Evans

Bob_Evans owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Bob_Evans supports DLX Technology
After reading through the last 3 pages of posts, I honestly feel like most of the players on here are missing the point. He's not saying the mentality pro players need is the *** everybody, im an ****** on and off the field. He's saying when your playing against competitive players, its dog eat dog. You or them. Practices and tournaments should be treated as such, walk out there, listen to the advice people give you, then dish it out like there is no tomorrow. Learn to take criticism, if your playing on a competitive team trying to make it anywhere in this business then as a team you need to stop being so sensitive. If someone messes up, punish them for it. If they can't handle being shot then they probably shouldn't be on a competitive field and might want to go play with the recreational players. Off the field, its right back to being that ambassador for the sport, holding the image you want this sport to have. One way of thinking of it is like a kill switch. Practice/Tournament field engage the *** you attitude and try to take heads off.

-This doesn't mean go step onto a field of walkons and blow them apart.
-This doesn't mean go be a *** to everybody

This means when your playing against tournmaent players, play with some emotion, prove something every time to yourself and everybody else that is on that field.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any points.

Evans
Bob_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:38 AM #61
merked12

Quote:
My old paintball age has given me the wisdom to distinguish someone who wants to be great but lacks the mental fortitude to make it and someone who plays for the fun of it. Like I've said before, this post and that dog eat dog attitude is not for them. I will continue to encourage those players and create a positive environment for them to have fun in. This message was for the 1% of people out there who want to be great but may lack the proper motivation.

If any player out there finds themselves in a situation that's out of control of their own desires from the game, they should remove themselves and find a team that fits their style.
Quote:
I'm sure your tog dog attitude is way different than the one I've seen and is not the problem I'm addressing. To me it sounds like your a good ambassador to the sport partly because you saw some ******* ruin it for a bunch of other people. Hopefully you can make up for the damage he caused.
Absolutely, and I agree. You bring up really interesting points in regards to the mentality of back in the day. I think you're probably right in a lot of ways with the mental toughness.

Again, all the best.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:15 AM #62
PimpInDistress
11:30

PimpInDistress plays in the PSP
this is true on so many levels, especially the money part when there are D4 kids all decked out in gear who blow *** on the field, shooting Luxes that cost more than the whole teams entry and paint expenses, and the D1 people are shooting axes (not bashing the gun, just saying kids would rather spend money on gear than practices)
PBV
PimpInDistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:57 AM #63
Zmizzle

Quote:
Spot on. This isn't for the brand new kid starting out. It's for the guys in D1-3 that have that aspiration and need a reality check. Being the top dog at a local field means jack **** to me. I teach my clinics the same way. I'll have a mixed group of beginners I'm encouraging and complimenting, and I have my seasoned players I'm a dick and perfectionist too.

When I was growing up, I would get lit from head to toe and come back for more. The kids that got lit up, whined, complained about the old guys and how "mean" they never had the drive to be one of the best in the sport.

If you didn't like my message, then it was too early for you in your career or it wasn't meant for you and you'll always be that guy who had some excuse for not playing at the highest level.
You are a bit off Greyson. The real accelerator in those days was the simple fact nobody was going to hand it to you, you had to fight for it and earn it the bloody hard way. You didn't step on to the field and look for "rec's" or easy teams to beat. You stepped on to the field to play the team that was smashing everyone down. If you couldn't find them locally, you traveled to them. Those 15 welts came because you were fighting to knock them off the field and if you just happened to be successful they screamed at you to take the field to extract their revenge. Boiled down it was king of the mountain and every Sunday it was a fight to be on top of that hill. You and the "boys" need to drill that mentality into your heads. Every tournament is "king of the field" and you guys need to smash down everyone including the favorites to stay on top. I am charging you, Archie, Colt and the rest of the X-factor camp to reintroduce that mentality not only in your game but also into the divisional teams. Anyone can step on to the field but it's going to take a lot more than what you are giving to stay on!
Zmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote