PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-27-2014, 09:38 PM #22
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWeasel2k4 View Post
Phil Jackson won 11 rings by being encouraging and patting players on the back when they deserved it... Maybe some paintball coaches and programs have adopted the same approach. I've seen the art chaos guys on several occasions just give somebody a shot to the pack instead of 15 to the back and they're among the best in the world... It's one thing to give another player that you have a history with and absolutely despise a couple to the neck or the ear, but it's completely different to destroy some random 15 year old who clearly isn't as good as you. If you are afraid of youngsters becoming better than you then shoot them once 15 points in a row rather than 15 times one point. Grown men beating up on kids in any sport is just plain wrong.
phil jackson had nothing but stacked teams to coach though
Trevor the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2014, 09:40 PM #23
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad255 View Post
Lame *** post. I quit paintball because of that tough guy bull **** attitude and I'm back now because it's gone. Trained by Tommy MauMau, if we ****ed up we were shot in the back a bunch of times with a Tippmann cranked all up. While I appreciate what I was taught and it made me a good player, it wasn't that attitude that did anything. It was everything else. What that attitude did was raise a bunch of angsty *** kids who thought they were ****ing amazing because some dude bullied them all day. Whether they took anything from it and got better or not, they still thought they were god's gift because they got slapped around by a dude being all self righteous such as yourself. I see what you're doing here with the reverse psychology and all but see ya with that horrible nonsense, it's gone for a reason.

It didn't work.
that was an AMAZING rant...frank gallegher style too.
Trevor the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:41 PM #24
EFP
Warped Sportz

EFP works for a Paintball manufacturer
I know from my own experience what it took back in the day, I also know that I was driven, had that desire to be the best, build the best, recruit the best. I didn't want to play on a pro team even though I had plenty of opportunities to stop playing with my guys and get picked up by an existing top pro team, more than one offered a couple of us spots. But i wanted more, i wanted us to get their together, to become pro's together, to win together and to beat those teams that tried to break us apart and cherry pick our team. Every top team is always looking for new talent, totally understood. But it was so much sweeter to beat those guys. I remember the event we turned pro, back then you had to earn that spot, you couldn't buy your way in, you had to fight your way in and another pro team, i will not name them told us if we knocked them out we would get destroyed in the pro semi finals, we were not ready to be pro's. We made it through the semi finals easily and took third that event, the rest was history. We played more than anyone else at the time as a team, and we traveled to everyone else's home field so we could practice them on their turf and beat them on their on turf. You see, we had that fire, that soul and once we had the confidence we were unstoppable. Only we could stop ourselves, unfortunately we did just that, hahaha but we made history in this sport i love so much and we enjoyed almost every minute of it.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:44 PM #25
Unholy780
UHOLY

Unholy780 is playing at Living Legends VII
Unholy780 is playing at Living Legends VIII
Unholy780 is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
Unholy780 supports DLX Technology
look at all those old men....
(LOOKING FOR COMPLETE EDMONTON IMPACT SL8R)
$$$$ CASH IS READY$$$$
!!!!!OFFER UP!!!!
TXT 587-589-5150
Unholy780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:44 PM #26
DasJaco

DasJaco owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DasJaco has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ill have to prove you wrong then.
DasJaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:47 PM #27
quickpickWM
Front Player

quickpickWM plays in the MiLP
quickpickWM plays in the APPA beginner division
quickpickWM has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
quickpickWM has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysonG View Post
Well the current situation isn't working either. Why do you think I'm still playing pro? I should've had 12 kids breathing down my neck to take my spot. Kids these days lack the mental toughness and killer instinct that was forged back in the day by bloody reminders on the side of your head. Lame *** excuse, come back and prove me wrong.
I'm coming after your spot bro.

quickpickWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:55 PM #28
EFP
Warped Sportz

EFP works for a Paintball manufacturer
Great writing Grayson, i see some of these guys want to prove you wrong, and i hope they remember to thank you as well.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:56 PM #29
quickpickWM
Front Player

quickpickWM plays in the MiLP
quickpickWM plays in the APPA beginner division
quickpickWM has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
quickpickWM has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
To contribute to the thread though. People pushing you to be better with negative attitude does have the best results in bringing up champions.

I for instance was a great athlete in high school and made my all star baseball team for the county. How I got there was my dad always breathing down my neck saying that's not good enough. One example includes when I came home from a little league baseball game and told him I hit two home runs. I didn't get a good job or anything, just you need to do better than that. (He was a high school baseball coach at the time.)

Overtime this reinforced the idea that unless I do perfect then it's not good enough and so I need to push myself until I am perfect.

Ever hear or see stories about a man who was God given since birth and rose up to be the best at what he did and got the woman of his dreams? It's always the opposite, a man works his *** off and is always told he's not going to make it and he proves those people wrong.

I just picked up paintball and I love it. I aspire to one day play pro and after playing with people who have played tournament ball and getting my *** handed to me, it just encouraged me to get better than them. I always want to play people better than me. Best way to learn and the best way to push me to be the best.

quickpickWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:11 PM #30
Mark Knop

has been a member for 10 years
Mark Knop is a Professional paintball player
Mark Knop works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Brockdorff View Post
But, paintball has changed a great deal since then.

Back then, you got become a good pro, by playing once a week, having the right mindset and being "game intelligent".

Today, you need to train a lot more, both on the paintball field and in the gym.

The gym part most can do, but where do you find the cash and the time to play 3-4 times a week, if you are a divisional player?
Nick,

Back when that picture was taken I was 37 years old. I could run 5 miles and trained in the gym 5 days a week. The majority of the guys on our team other than maybe Ed and myself had world class speed.

Now the troubling part for me that I don't understand is why you'd have to train 3 - 4 times a week? The fields are the all the same and everyone plays the same. You live behind guns that are super fast that don't break paint. You run what, 10 yards to get to the snake, try and make it to the dorito without getting shot, move up, get an angle, put a guy and then go bunker him and try not to get penalties.

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but yes the game has changed, it's removed all the creativity out of it and turned players into drones.

Just my 2 cents.
Mark Knop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:17 PM #31
Blitchy

Blitchy helped look for balloons
Blitchy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Blitchy supports Team VICIOUS
Blitchy supports Team VICIOUS
Blitchy is for the Gunfight
Blitchy is attending Decay of Nations VI
I love you grayson you are one of my fav players, but the smart kid doesnt play paintball at the pro level because its so DAMN hard to make a living doing it, unless your embedded in a field related job or career, or got an owner with the money to support you (look at vicious) its hard sometimes just getting the time off to make it to a tournament and thats just the tournament think about practice time. People have bills, cars, houses a family im by no means discrediting you for your achievements but not everyone cant be successful and afford it at the same time money is a HUGE reason you dont see a crazy influx of talent in paintball were still a small community, getting bigger but small. and the overall talent and numbers have risen as well. I say keep doing what your doing mowing faces!

You live a dream alot of d4-d1 ballers would love to do but simply cant
Blitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:22 PM #32
fuegoman
Old School

fuegoman supports Shocker RSX
fuegoman supports Ninja Paintball
Two things,
1. Don't tell me what I'm not capable of.
2. This post hurt my feelings.

Back to call of duty, where I can anonymously tall **** to 8 year olds. 'Merica!!!!!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:34 PM #33
IPlaySoccer
Resident Chelsea Fan

IPlaySoccer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
IPlaySoccer is an NCPA player
IPlaySoccer plays in the APPA D5 division
IPlaySoccer supports Ninja Paintball
Liberty University Flames Paintball #16

Special thanks to: Planet Eclipse and Social Paintball
IPlaySoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:35 PM #34
AustinHembo
`~`

Annual Supporting Member
AustinHembo plays in the PSP
AustinHembo is reppin' sidebar 4 life
AustinHembo plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegoman View Post
Two things,
1. Don't tell me what I'm not capable of.
2. This post hurt my feelings.

Back to call of duty, where I can anonymously tall **** to 8 year olds. 'Merica!!!!!
Exactly.
AustinHembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:47 PM #35
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John is playing at Living Legends X
John is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFP View Post
Great writing Grayson, i see some of these guys want to prove you wrong, and i hope they remember to thank you as well.
For those of you that don't know, this is Ed Poorman, the owner of Avalanche for all those years they were one of the best teams in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Knop View Post
Nick,

Back when that picture was taken I was 37 years old. I could run 5 miles and trained in the gym 5 days a week. The majority of the guys on our team other than maybe Ed and myself had world class speed.
And Mark was one of his circus midgets. He's front and center in that picture.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:54 PM #36
jeryzkid22
lone ranger

Fun post. I wonder what percent of people on here have the time, money, and desire to be a professional paintball player anymore. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between an individual pro player and an individual experienced player.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:59 PM #37
Lolerskating Champ
batboy coif

Lolerskating Champ plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Lolerskating Champ plays in the APPA D3 division
I understand your sentiment, but discouraging players to continue to work hard because YOU believe they don't have the mental toughness is kind of ridiculous. You're merely basing your assumption on a vague observation and weak comparison to players now and in the past.

There are many divisional players who have the desire and work hard to achieve their dreams of playing professionally, take their beatings from better players and strive to improve every time they play. The real problem is the amount capital to fund a team and compete at a high level if you aren't geographically located near professional team. It's extremely expensive to establish, compete, and climb the ranks of divisional play. I would say, in my opinion, the cost of the sport is what detracts the influx of new players at the professional level more than anything else. I really like what you do with the BKi Paintball and it's great you're willing to run clinics and work with players local to you, but I think you're a little off base with the assertion an influx of new players at the professional level isn't happening because of a lack of mental toughness.
Lolerskating Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:04 PM #38
4leaf4life
WHAMMY

Annual Supporting Member
4leaf4life is a Professional paintball player
4leaf4life works for a Paintball manufacturer
 plays in the NXL
4leaf4life owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
4leaf4life posts videos on PbNation
Well said Grayson. Never caught a break playing Aftershock, it was down right scary, addictive, and an absolute beat down.

Mark, you're absolutely right about todays fields/game compared to the 10 man days.
4leaf4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:38 PM #39
4leaf4life
WHAMMY

Annual Supporting Member
4leaf4life is a Professional paintball player
4leaf4life works for a Paintball manufacturer
 plays in the NXL
4leaf4life owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
4leaf4life posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolerskating Champ View Post
I understand your sentiment, but discouraging players to continue to work hard because YOU believe they don't have the mental toughness is kind of ridiculous. You're merely basing your assumption on a vague observation and weak comparison to players now and in the past.

There are many divisional players who have the desire and work hard to achieve their dreams of playing professionally, take their beatings from better players and strive to improve every time they play. The real problem is the amount capital to fund a team and compete at a high level if you aren't geographically located near professional team. It's extremely expensive to establish, compete, and climb the ranks of divisional play. I would say, in my opinion, the cost of the sport is what detracts the influx of new players at the professional level more than anything else. I really like what you do with the BKi Paintball and it's great you're willing to run clinics and work with players local to you, but I think you're a little off base with the assertion an influx of new players at the professional level isn't happening because of a lack of mental toughness.

I have a hard time with people using money as an issue in regards to making it to the next level. I see people time and time again complain about how if the sport was cheaper then they'd be better or could do so much more.

I do, believe me, completely understand that it does make things hard, but it is not impossible.

It is expensive to take a full team from Division 3 all the way to pro and very few teams have completed this full cycle and remain. However, I feel the part that is lacking here is general direction in the best ways to manage a team in this sense. Now this is a whole other issue then what I believe Grayson to be talking about so I'll jump to individuals.

If you WANT, if you DESIRE, if it is your PASSION, to be a professional at anything, I think we can all agree that a tremendous amount of sacrifice is going to be needed. In regards to what Grayson has said I feel that a lot of younger plays lack this drive and willingness to make sacrifices and the excuses that come in place of them are to easily excepted. I am not saying that there are not people who do not make these sacrifices but I can see where, and this is a MENTAL TOUGHNESS thing, the newest generation of players are lacking the depth and mental understanding of how to push themselves to become the next Pro players in our game.

Yes it takes money, get a job, get two, or three. Talk with your local store and field owner and do what it takes to get a personal sponsorship of a discount. Mix in with the best players you can and always strive to be the best, ALWAYS. Never, ever, waste your paint. Always use paint for drills, games, and more drills. Drive, take a bus, or fly to get yourself in a position to play with or against a pro team, we're way more excepting of people who we see strive to make it to us and don't ***** about it. Trust me we have all been there.

In the end we all make the choice to play this game and a lot of us have made incredible sacrifices to get to where we are. These are things you have to look inside yourself and figure out. It is not easy, the easiest thing to do is quit. While I hate to see it, it weeds out people who don't belong, are you one of those people?

Hey if need be hit myself up, and I'm sure Grayson will not hesitate to talk to any of you, if you have any questions about this.

Nick Slowiak

ps
Didn't mean to hijack your thread Grayson
4leaf4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:40 PM #40
Gun4Hire_

Gun4Hire_ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Same can be said about the Military
- Former Marine, Still one at heart.
Gun4Hire_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:47 PM #41
Lolerskating Champ
batboy coif

Lolerskating Champ plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Lolerskating Champ plays in the APPA D3 division
No disagreement with anything you said. I'm not trying to imply that if it were cheaper it would be easier, in lieu of not hijacking Grayson's thread I won't address any of your other points. I'm just offering a viewpoint from a divisional PSP player and full time student.
Lolerskating Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:50 PM #42
GraysonG
aka George Ocean

GraysonG is a Professional paintball player
GraysonG owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
GraysonG plays in the APPA Pro division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolerskating Champ View Post

You missed the point then. I'm only referencing players in the past because they shaped me into who I am today.

What some of you guys forget is that I have been in and will still be in the process of scouting new talent for X-factor. I see the ALL the players coming up because I'm out at a paintball field almost every weekend and love to watch the game. Doesn't matter if it's recball or two higher divisional team scrimaging, I'm watching, studying, analyzing, and looking for the next great kid to give a shot to. Over the course of my 8 years pro, I've seen very few who had the mental tenacity to hang at our level. That **** you attitude it takes to compete at the top level.

Trevor Resar was a perfect example. Kid drove all the way down from Oklahoma to tryout for X-factor in 2010 (aka the Dark Ages of X-factor) and I knew only after watching him play a few games he would be an incredible player. He had that hunger and desire no one else had that day. Demetri Ninios was at that tryout too. He played some good ****ing paintball that day, but wasn't quite ready. Fast forward a few years, Now he's one of my teammates and will etch his name into this game like I have.

You're correct in that turning a team pro is a lot tougher. You need to have someone there to foot the bills but this wasn't directed at a team. It was directed to individual players that can become great if there's no such opportunity to make that jump as a team (IE Trevor and Demetri).
BKiTk
GraysonG is offline   Reply With Quote