PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-23-2011, 02:51 PM #1
Tim Kuykendall
Texas Renegades

Making NPPL a better league

NPPL did a good job at Chicago. Not a great job, but a good job.

The Chicago good:
The player areas were layed out much better for access to the fields.
Check-in was smooth
Scores were posted promptly
Water and toilets were close
The refs did a very good job of moving the games along on field #2
The refs started the games with whistles
Teams did a good job of moving off tables when they were done and qucikly made room for the next round teams (both days)

The Chicago bad:
Once again the paint trucks are way too far from the players. Here's the deal, the spectators aren't buying paint, ok the pros aren't either, but most of us are and the paint trucks really should be easier access.
Not enough trash cans.
Why didn't some one mow the grass????? No one is expecting fairway grass, but going from 6" grass to turf to 6" grass. Really?
The long grass hid the holes
The chicks in the beer cart driving in the player area. It's really a busy area and while some teams are done and looking for the cold beer, other are still playing or moving around for paint, air or chrono. Dodging a beer cart should be a concern.
Dynasty cried and complained because a D4 team was using their table Sunday morning. The D4 team got there at 6:00 to prepare for playoff that started at 8:00.
CPX seems like a nice park, but personally, I was not impressed with the location.
If NPPL wants to grow the sport and leauge make it accessible to the public. Much like HB, secure a park or other public area in Chicago. NPPL doesn't rely on anything from the park. They bring there own nets, air and stands.

Start the season with HB and end it with Vegas, but change the other locations each year. Spread the love across the US.
Have 5 total events and take the top 4 scores for season champs.

One last thing before everyone starts adding comments.
Have 2 tourny's back to back stinks. How about scheduling them every other month.
March, May, July, Sept and Nov

March-HB
May-Chicago (real Chicago)
July-South Carolina
Sept-Dallas
Nov-Vegas

Let the chatter begin!
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2011, 02:59 PM #2
?DevilDog?

?DevilDog? plays in the PSP
?DevilDog? donated to help Peyton Trent
?DevilDog? owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
?DevilDog? owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
?DevilDog? supports Pev's Paintball
?DevilDog? has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Well put agree with some points. The grass thing even though it doesn't sound like a big thing it was. First game for our team I was running to D corner off the break and F'ed up my knee in a hole! Beer cart running all over the paddock was dumb, especially since friends have to pay 10 bucks to get in there and help!
TCP H8 factory Captain (3 years)
Orange/Green LV1
DARK/LADY GEO 3.1
?DevilDog? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 PM #3
xXEnvyXx
Oh Hai

xXEnvyXx plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
xXEnvyXx plays in the APPA D1 division
u already hav HB nd Vegas in the southwest area, no need for dallas, and south carolina is such a bad move, MAO had almost no teams last year for a reason

also pro teams do get their paint from paint trucks.. where else would they? idk bout all teams carrying it themselves but im 100% sure impact carries theirs cuz i hav personally seen moorhead, montressor, chad nd many other pros carrying their cases in themselves so if anythin the trucks should be near them

last nd most importantly, idk how they run things where u live but it is very hard to find a place outside of a paintball park to hold an event.. most ppl dont support us nd dnt want us ruining their land or they jus charge a ton of money that this sport doesnt hav atm, HB is a dif story cuz SoCal is a whole dif world for paintball and Vegas is a city that supports any type of sporting event
xXEnvyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM #4
Barber
Moose Krew.

has been a member for 10 years
Barber plays in the PSP
Barber is an NCPA player
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
Everyone wants the events in better locations. Until someone decides to pay for that to happen, it won't.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 PM #5
Tim Kuykendall
Texas Renegades

Envy,
Obviously everyone gets their paint from the paint truck, and like you I have seen pro players carry paint. The point was the paint truck should be closer to the players and player area.

Sorry, but HB and Vegas are not southwest. Although you make a good point about MOA the series does need to expand to new areas. Looking at a map from HB to Chicago, to DC then Vegas its a loop, but there's 14 states below the loop.

Although it seemed like I may have been avocating one area over another that was not my intention. My intention was suggest moving it around a little and making it accessibnle to other local areas as well as playing the series 5 times and only using your 4 top scores. I'm sure in your area, like mine, there are many teams who want to play but cannot play all or have trouble getting a group who are able (time, money ect) to travel long distances.

Again, your right HB and Vegas support NPPL setting up in non-field location, but there are many other fields that have areas big enough for the tourny.

In Galveston PSP set-up 6 fields. It was on land owned (or controlled) by a local field. Again the point is there are options. Lets look at them.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 PM #6
Tim Kuykendall
Texas Renegades

Envy,
Obviously everyone gets their paint from the paint truck, and like you I have seen pro players carry paint. The point was the paint truck should be closer to the players and player area.

Sorry, but HB and Vegas are not southwest. Although you make a good point about MOA the series does need to expand to new areas. Looking at a map from HB to Chicago, to DC then Vegas its a loop, but there's 14 states below the loop.

Although it seemed like I may have been avocating one area over another that was not my intention. My intention was suggest moving it around a little and making it accessibnle to other local areas as well as playing the series 5 times and only using your 4 top scores. I'm sure in your area, like mine, there are many teams who want to play but cannot play all or have trouble getting a group who are able (time, money ect) to travel long distances.

Again, your right HB and Vegas support NPPL setting up in non-field location, but there are many other fields that have areas big enough for the tourny.

In Galveston PSP set-up 6 fields. It was on land owned (or controlled) by a local field. Again the point is there are options. Lets look at them.

The purpose of the thread is not bash each other, we all know there's plenty of that on other threads. I think you made some good points.

I want to improve NPPL and I'm sure all the other who play it do as well.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:39 PM #7
Skipdogg

Comment on where it was held.....yes CPX is in the middle of nowhere, but it's affordable. NPPL may bring their nets and stuff and not 'get' anything from CPX....except...well.... THE LAND AND FACILITIES TO PLAY ON!! just a wee bit important

Plus if you didnt notice yet, for the most part only paintball players care about paintball tournaments
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:40 PM #8
Tim Kuykendall
Texas Renegades

sorry for the repeat
Old 05-23-2011, 03:45 PM #9
monkeyspirithand
GIPwonworldcup

monkeyspirithand plays in the PSP
monkeyspirithand owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyspirithand is an NCPA player
monkeyspirithand plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyspirithand has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Instead of South Carolina, move it up to the Northeast, many more teams and very nice fields they could host it at. Otherwise I agree with all your points, especially having an event here in Texas, there are so many local teams here

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXEnvyXx View Post
u already hav HB nd Vegas in the southwest area, no need for dallas, and south carolina is such a bad move, MAO had almost no teams last year for a reason
Do you realize how far Texas is away from Vegas and HB right?

http://www.mapquest.com/#b653a6b59716b61001cac28e
Old 05-23-2011, 03:47 PM #10
LittleH8kid

plays in the NXL
LittleH8kid supports Pev's Paintball
LittleH8kid plays in the APPA D1 division
I would move DC more south. Like to tampa. That would make it a perfect square on the map.
LittleH8kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:23 PM #11
hscpaintballa

hscpaintballa plays in the PSP
hscpaintballa owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
hscpaintballa supports DLX Technology
hscpaintballa supports Ninja Paintball
i doubt the DC tournament will move. It would be nice to spread the events more evenly throughout the year. Maybe adding another event in say FL,GA,TX, AL or something like that.
The grass was OK but i agree that it was too tall. I thought the ref did a good job overall, it did seem like there were a lot of penalties tho. Games went quickly on Field 2 and the staging area was nice as well. Was a great thing that the vendors were set up on an actual road. Players and crowd were great all weekend. Thanks for a good event NPPL!!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:41 PM #12
?DevilDog?

?DevilDog? plays in the PSP
?DevilDog? donated to help Peyton Trent
?DevilDog? owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
?DevilDog? owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
?DevilDog? supports Pev's Paintball
?DevilDog? has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
One more thing I will add is they should make sure they have the Trade Show run parallel to the fields like HB. I say this because I was walking through the tread show towards center court and took a paintball just below my eye that welted and blackened my eye! When the show runs parallel to the fields its more just richochete shots than straight on shots that escape
TCP H8 factory Captain (3 years)
Orange/Green LV1
DARK/LADY GEO 3.1
?DevilDog? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:10 PM #13
ohdoyalrules
Bryan Strode

ohdoyalrules is a Professional paintball player
ohdoyalrules plays in the PSP
ohdoyalrules plays in the APPA D2 division
ohdoyalrules supports DLX Technology
Add a northwest event if not every year but once every few years there is alot of players in the area and it's been 12 years since a tournament held here

2010 nppl div 1 season champs
ohdoyalrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:30 PM #14
Justin Mason
www.ProPaintball.com

Justin Mason is an NCPA National Champion
Tim- Solid feedback. Keep up the good work!

RIP Matt Dawson #58

"John is the new “official PBN Troll”" - Trevor the great
Justin Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:31 PM #15
devan22

devan22 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
devan22 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
devan22 plays in the APPA D4 division
devan22 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kuykendall View Post
NPPL did a good job at Chicago. Not a great job, but a good job.

The Chicago good:
The player areas were layed out much better for access to the fields.
Check-in was smooth
Scores were posted promptly
Water and toilets were close
The refs did a very good job of moving the games along on field #2
The refs started the games with whistles
Teams did a good job of moving off tables when they were done and qucikly made room for the next round teams (both days)

The Chicago bad:
Once again the paint trucks are way too far from the players. Here's the deal, the spectators aren't buying paint, ok the pros aren't either, but most of us are and the paint trucks really should be easier access.
Not enough trash cans.
Why didn't some one mow the grass????? No one is expecting fairway grass, but going from 6" grass to turf to 6" grass. Really?
The long grass hid the holes
The chicks in the beer cart driving in the player area. It's really a busy area and while some teams are done and looking for the cold beer, other are still playing or moving around for paint, air or chrono. Dodging a beer cart should be a concern.
Dynasty cried and complained because a D4 team was using their table Sunday morning. The D4 team got there at 6:00 to prepare for playoff that started at 8:00.
CPX seems like a nice park, but personally, I was not impressed with the location.
If NPPL wants to grow the sport and leauge make it accessible to the public. Much like HB, secure a park or other public area in Chicago. NPPL doesn't rely on anything from the park. They bring there own nets, air and stands.

Start the season with HB and end it with Vegas, but change the other locations each year. Spread the love across the US.
Have 5 total events and take the top 4 scores for season champs.

One last thing before everyone starts adding comments.
Have 2 tourny's back to back stinks. How about scheduling them every other month.
March, May, July, Sept and Nov

March-HB
May-Chicago (real Chicago)
July-South Carolina
Sept-Dallas
Nov-Vegas

Let the chatter begin!
Louisville KY would be a great location i think there is the fair grounds and the waterfront there are tons of locations to hold it

Paintball Asylum
devan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:54 PM #16
Justin Mason
www.ProPaintball.com

Justin Mason is an NCPA National Champion
The big key to event location all comes down to costs. Cost is the primary reason why leagues are moving back to traditional paintball parks and away from pop-up locations such as parkinglots and fair grounds.

HB and Vegas are two different situations. HB is the leagues "premier" event, and they tend to host more teams at that event than at any other time during the year. The vendors love it, the players love it, and we get a ton of great press.

Vegas is the series finale and provides cheap hotel rooms and a great "entertainment" aspect. Best of all, the city of Vegas pays the NPPL to host the event there. Again, this is good for the sport.

Hosting events at paintball parks is really a solid game plan. Any improvements to the facility go directly back into the industry. Further, holding a national professional event at a paintball field increases the legitimacy and helps develop the local paintball scene.

Hope that helps clear any confusion up..

RIP Matt Dawson #58

"John is the new “official PBN Troll”" - Trevor the great
Justin Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:33 PM #17
mcgyver
Common Sense Is Tingling

mcgyver is a Supporting Member
mcgyver supports Pev's Paintball
mcgyver is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
mcgyver is Legendary
I agree on many points. I felt that this event had a great venue, while a little out of the way, there aren't many paintball parks with solid woodsball fields that are located in the middle of a town. CPS was clean, had organized parking and the vendors were along a paved path, making any rainy situation not a huge problem. I thought it was nicely put together and organized. I didn't have any last minute changes telling me that in 30 seconds, my team had to be moved over to center court. I can agree about the grass, I know that once the grass got long, wet and full of paint, it got slippery in some spots.

The schedule moved quickly and on time and there appeared to be enough tables for teams that wanted them(at least while I was there). I didn't mind the beer cart, I thought it was good idea seeing as after our games I wanted a cold beer anyways.

I'd like to see at least one rule change made however, the damn jersey rule. Let me throw my jersey over my pack aka psp style. Most players have their jerseys pulled up enough that it drapes over anyways.

GO BEARS/CUBS/HAWKS

Last edited by mcgyver : 05-23-2011 at 06:36 PM.
mcgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:14 PM #18
EMSGuy24
no

EMSGuy24 plays in the PSP
EMSGuy24 plays in the APPA D4 division
I have always thought a great place in New England would the the The Big Ein West Springfield. You have a lot of area to use and have buildings so that you can have a trade show in doors. Plenty of room for all the major companies to come with the Tractor trailers. Also you can either set up turf field like they do at HB or the have a grassy area to play on, also a indoor coliseum where they do horse shows that you can use for Pro's and finals... I dont know cost so it just not be fisable but, I think its a location worth the NPPL taking a look at.
EMSGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 PM #19
njpballer3
White Tee GANG

njpballer3 plays in the USPL
 plays in the NXL
njpballer3 is an NCPA player
njpballer3 plays in the APPA D4 division
njpballer3 is Legendary
Definitely keep the DC event, PEV's Turf is amazing and the location isnt to bad either. I would have to agree on how the field had holes and such....and how the grass wasn't great either. I wouldn't mind seeing a Southeast event (FL)
njpballer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:36 PM #20
ohdoyalrules
Bryan Strode

ohdoyalrules is a Professional paintball player
ohdoyalrules plays in the PSP
ohdoyalrules plays in the APPA D2 division
ohdoyalrules supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Mason View Post
The big key to event location all comes down to costs. Cost is the primary reason why leagues are moving back to traditional paintball parks and away from pop-up locations such as parkinglots and fair grounds.

HB and Vegas are two different situations. HB is the leagues "premier" event, and they tend to host more teams at that event than at any other time during the year. The vendors love it, the players love it, and we get a ton of great press.

Vegas is the series finale and provides cheap hotel rooms and a great "entertainment" aspect. Best of all, the city of Vegas pays the NPPL to host the event there. Again, this is good for the sport.

Hosting events at paintball parks is really a solid game plan. Any improvements to the facility go directly back into the industry. Further, holding a national professional event at a paintball field increases the legitimacy and helps develop the local paintball scene.

Hope that helps clear any confusion up..
chicago and dc are some of the most expensive places to fly in the us

2010 nppl div 1 season champs
ohdoyalrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:36 PM #21
I'm RickJames
DJ/MC for the NPPL

I'm RickJames supports Pev's Paintball
I'm RickJames plays in the APPA D4 division
My suggestion for adding another event is Daytona Beach Fl. I mentioned it to some NPPL employees and they seemed to like that idea...

Follow me on IG- @SportsVoice23

Proudly representing... PEV'S PAINTBALL, EMPIRE PAINTBALL, KEE ACTION SPORTS and BOB LONG
I'm RickJames is offline   Reply With Quote