PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-06-2012, 11:27 AM #64
Blak Katalyst
CT Effect

Blak Katalyst has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Blak Katalyst supports Empire
Lurker and Boss dropping some knowledge. Take notes!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM #65
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
Close the poppet down from the sweet spot (maybe more like .75 turns out), raise the pressure, then set dwell last, minimizing it. You can run a bit less dwell at the higher pressure. I also recommend polishing the brass outer diameter of the poppet, since when actuated it's not stable in the gun. YMMV.

Bolt timing has remarkably little impact on the efficiency of the gun, it's all in the poppet system. Unfortunately, with the lighter spring, higher pressures get harsher and harsher. The v2's clever integrated bumpering system will help a bit, but you're essentially fighting yourself when going for the overall tuned gun effect.
Yeah, that is the direction I am headed. I wish I could polish all of the poppets for the teams but I can not get all of them.
TheBoss33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 AM #66
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

What's involved in polishing a poppet? Steel wool with some sort of chemical?
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:55 AM #67
Teahouser
that one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
What's involved in polishing a poppet? Steel wool with some sort of chemical?
Polishing Poppet

I made a thread about this a while back while testing lurker's bolt, check it out.

I actually just polished mine a few days ago for the season

i use the polishing wheel on a dremel with brasso, makes it shine like a mirror. when your cleaning the polish off after you can feel it slipping around in the cloth it's so much more smooth.
Teahouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 PM #68
Lurker27
Overthinker

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Mega Moderator
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
You also want to coat not just the o-ring, but the brass with a VERY thin layer of lube. The "skirt" of the poppet will make contact with the bore, that's why it's brass. Preventing that rubbing from grabbing the poppet (and you'll help prevent oxidation with the lube too) will keep things consistent.
Lurker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:32 PM #69
paintballaddict80

paintballaddict80 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
paintballaddict80 plays in the APPA beginner division
paintballaddict80 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintballaddict80 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27
You also want to coat not just the o-ring, but the brass with a VERY thin layer of lube. The "skirt" of the poppet will make contact with the bore, that's why it's brass. Preventing that rubbing from grabbing the poppet (and you'll help prevent oxidation with the lube too) will keep things consistent.
What does doing this help exactly?

"I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." –Michael Jordan
paintballaddict80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM #70
Teahouser
that one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
yeah that's how i always lube my poppet. i just put a little lube on the side of it and rotate it between my two fingers keeping slight pressure. gives it a nice thin coat, with little ridges of lube, awesome for the winter time to avoid stick from over lubing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballaddict80 View Post
What does doing this help exactly?
This helps for people who are tuning their axe/mini with a lowered pressure and backed out backcap. When stock the poppet is being pushed back and forth with 200psi or so.

Boss and Lurker made bolts that are lightweight and designed for lowered pressure. For sweet spotting the poppet you need to have it around 1.5 turns out instead of the stock .75 turns. That's twice as far for the poppet to travel, and at a much lower pressure, 120-150psi instead of 200psi.

By polishing the sides of the poppet, and then applying a very thin coat of lube over the sides and oring, you allow it to operate with the lowest amount of friction possible at the lower pressure. By having a faster, snappier poppet cycle, it raises your fps by a small percentage, like 5-8%, so if you were shooting 275fps, at a lower pressure and further out backcap, polishing your poppet you should see it chrono at 285-290fps.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:04 PM #71
paintballaddict80

paintballaddict80 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
paintballaddict80 plays in the APPA beginner division
paintballaddict80 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintballaddict80 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teahouser

yeah that's how i always lube my poppet. i just put a little lube on the side of it and rotate it between my two fingers keeping slight pressure. gives it a nice thin coat, with little ridges of lube, awesome for the winter time to avoid stick from over lubing.

This helps for people who are tuning their axe/mini with a lowered pressure and backed out backcap. When stock the poppet is being pushed back and forth with 200psi or so.

Boss and Lurker made bolts that are lightweight and designed for lowered pressure. For sweet spotting the poppet you need to have it around 1.5 turns out instead of the stock .75 turns. That's twice as far for the poppet to travel, and at a much lower pressure, 120-150psi instead of 200psi.

By polishing the sides of the poppet, and then applying a very thin coat of lube over the sides and oring, you allow it to operate with the lowest amount of friction possible at the lower pressure. By having a faster, snappier poppet cycle, it raises your fps by a small percentage, like 5-8%, so if you were shooting 275fps, at a lower pressure and further out backcap, polishing your poppet you should see it chrono at 285-290fps.
If it wasn't polished would that cause any damage within the gun? Or cause any problems?

"I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." –Michael Jordan
paintballaddict80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:07 PM #72
Teahouser
that one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballaddict80 View Post
If it wasn't polished would that cause any damage within the gun? Or cause any problems?
No, not at all. That's why the poppet is made of brass. It's a very soft metal and kee knew that if the poppet walls contacted the inside bore of the bolt guide, when unseated, it should be with brass. don't get me wrong, the finish on the stock poppet is very smooth, it just lacks that deep polish that is possible with brasso, to make it work even better.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:47 PM #73
98Pro
Asylum 502

98Pro plays in the PSP
98Pro owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
98Pro owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
98Pro plays in the APPA D4 division
Lol I did mine a long time ago. I just did it cause I like it looking shiny. I did the inside parts of my regulator as well, along with my solenoid, and pretty much everything that has any moving parts contacting it. It shoots really really good.
"Alright you guys are my ginger crew, you gotta act hard af" - Todd Martinez
Play SEPS!
98Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:32 PM #74
Blak Katalyst
CT Effect

Just got my Infamous Bolt!

First impressions....

-Same great quality you can expect from Boss, same simple packaging, and instructions
-Spring kit is nice. The different sizes are easier to distinguish than the colors and not being conical is a plus.
-The Infamous bolt slides easier on the guide than the V2. Not that I ever had any issues with the V2, but its noticeable.
-My V2 was setup with the yellow spring, back cap 1.5 out, 4ms dwell. I put the infamous bolt in with the small spring, same settings, the shot feels smoother and the sound has a bit more crack to it than the "chuff" of the V2. Still pretty quiet with my ultralite.

I'm at home with no chrono so I'll check in again once I hit the field tomorrow. So far I'm diggin' this bolt. I know what you're all thinking... yes, I am very happy with my purchase.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:36 PM #75
PreacherMan

Just got my Infamous Bolt today and placed the settings as recommended (Dwell 3.0ms, 140psi, 1.5 turns out) but my velocity is staying right around 245+/- 10fps. My Axe has only about 400 paintballs through since I got it new so when do I need to consider it broken in?
Is there anything that I need to do to increase velocity to 280fps other than just turn up the regulator pressure?

Thanks
PreacherMan
Romans 10:8,9
PreacherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:33 PM #76
Viper|RSX
Gunna need a Bigger Boat

Viper|RSX owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Viper|RSX supports Team VICIOUS
Viper|RSX has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I Just put the infamous bolt with the short spring and what a difference its like shooting a different gun. zero kick, sounds different, I used the settings that they say start with 140 psi and 1.5 turns out. and im shooting in the 285/290's, im also using old paint so I understand the jumping numbers but overall im 100% satisfied

My hats off to the BOSS.. Very well done... Best 35.00 I spent in paintball

Feedback

Last edited by Viper|RSX : 04-07-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Viper|RSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:16 PM #77
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreacherMan View Post
Just got my Infamous Bolt today and placed the settings as recommended (Dwell 3.0ms, 140psi, 1.5 turns out) but my velocity is staying right around 245+/- 10fps. My Axe has only about 400 paintballs through since I got it new so when do I need to consider it broken in?
Is there anything that I need to do to increase velocity to 280fps other than just turn up the regulator pressure?

Thanks
PreacherMan
Romans 10:8,9
Are you running the stock barrel? Paint may be a bit small for your bore.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:17 PM #78
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper|RSX View Post
I Just put the infamous bolt with the short spring and what a difference its like shooting a different gun. zero kick, sounds different, I used the settings that they say start with 140 psi and 1.5 turns out. and im shooting in the 285/290's, im also using old paint so I understand the jumping numbers but overall im 100% satisfied

My hats off to the BOSS.. Very well done... Best 35.00 I spent in paintball
Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM #79
Blak Katalyst
CT Effect

I didn't get to play today but I did put about 1000 rounds of marbs through my gun with the infamous bolts. Not one break, shoots smooth, consistent, and quiet. I was using my .684 ultralite and the marbs were about .682-1, still getting great efficiency and +/- 2 over the chrono.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:47 PM #80
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
7paintball supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss33 View Post
I can say Drew Templeton's gun was running 3 ms dwell, 1.5 turns out on the back cap, short spring and 122 PSI, chronoing in the upper 290's. Not one broken ball all weekend.
I want
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:49 AM #81
PreacherMan

Thanks for the replies and help, will try a more precise barrel back. When I tested the Axe i used DXS Silver with a 0.687 dia back, the paint is still a little smaller than the bore size but I would not think that would have made a 30 to 40 psi difference.

But for future guidance stay at 140psi or less and always 1.5 turns out on the adjuster and dwell settings 1.0 to 4.0ms with the Infamous Bolt?????

Preacherman
PreacherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 AM #82
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreacherMan View Post
Thanks for the replies and help, will try a more precise barrel back. When I tested the Axe i used DXS Silver with a 0.687 dia back, the paint is still a little smaller than the bore size but I would not think that would have made a 30 to 40 psi difference.

But for future guidance stay at 140psi or less and always 1.5 turns out on the adjuster and dwell settings 1.0 to 4.0ms with the Infamous Bolt?????

Preacherman
Everything is about right but the dwell. You really don't want to run at 1ms. 3 for the short spring, 3.5 for the med spring anf 4 for the long spring.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:14 AM #83
Lurker27
Overthinker

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Mega Moderator
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Weren't they running empire sniper kits? Those settings probably aren't happening with a stock barrel, the ES kit has 9" of control bore. I notice a very significant different when switching from the stock barrel or my .689 UL to a .684 eigenbarrel.

Just saying, a bolt really can't effect how much air is metered out from the poppet, you're only changing with spring tension and friction:

1. The poppet timing, which does NOT change actual air flow.

2. The amount of air from the poppet chamber to actually get the gun to cycle. The poppet is opened more suddenly with a slight underbore and slightly higher pressures, which is why those setups are so much more efficient - it's all about getting the poppet to shift quickly
Lurker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 AM #84
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
Yes, that is why I recommend people run a barrel kit or a great single barrel like the Eigenbarrel.