Old 02-05-2010, 04:55 PM #64
JackH (Banned)

has been a member for 10 years
JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csmoore3 View Post
I should of worded it better. I do feel stupid for apparently asking ignorant people for help! And really, all my respect goes out to any military personnel regardless.

It just gets on my nerves when you get the same type of people bringing up the same archetypal arguments with seemingly no thought process of their own behind it. I should of known better to flare up on the internet, as I was put in my place very quickly and I thank you guys for that!

I appreciate the answers and yeah, it'll be a long road ahead of me but I'm looking forward to it, again, thanks for the advice.
You'll make a great officer.

JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2010, 05:35 PM #65
el beasto grande

How much choice would I have in my mos if I were to go ROTC?

I'm trying to decide between Marine PLC and the final two years of Army ROTC(after the LTC summer after my sophomore year)

lametard: I'm pretty sure most of ST couldn't reproduce. One, because they certainly couldn't convince a girl to allow any part of them to enter her body, and two, because most of ST is sterile.

videokilldthecdradio:damn my tiny wang! damn it to hell!

rigby:post confuses me. Seek therapy.
el beasto grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:08 PM #66
Vindikacione

Let's answer the question with a question: What MOS do you prefer?

Believe it or not, but this single decision of yours will be the greatest decision you will make for at least the next 10 years.

Other questions you should be asking yourself right about now:
Which career field would you not mind doing for the next 20 years?
Do you plan to stay in long enough to just pay off college?
Do you plan on retiring from the military?
Do you think you can lead men in battle?
Are you mature enough to write the parents of the men that die under your command from combat related injuries? (your sig&avatar say otherwise)
Are you any good at shooting targets at ranges of 300m and beyond?
If you don't get the MOS of your choice, does that mean you won't serve your country?

If the answer is No in any of the last four questions, then don't join the Marine Corps.

If the answer is No to just the last question, then join the Air Force.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:49 AM #67
el beasto grande

I don't plan on serving in the military for the rest of my life. I plan on staying at least 8-12 years, but I have a lot of things career-wise that I would like to accomplish.
As far as MOS's go, I would love to be able to fly any rotary wing aircraft available. If that isn't a possibility than I am very very drawn to the field of Human Intelligence. The main point I was getting at, however, was whether or not I will have any control over what I do if I decide to go the route of ROTC or PLC, or whatever else I may be led to.

lametard: I'm pretty sure most of ST couldn't reproduce. One, because they certainly couldn't convince a girl to allow any part of them to enter her body, and two, because most of ST is sterile.

videokilldthecdradio:damn my tiny wang! damn it to hell!

rigby:post confuses me. Seek therapy.
el beasto grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:26 AM #68
Vindikacione

Pilot Career Path as an officer isn't as good as a warrant officer. You'll get more stick time as a warrant. As an officer you'll be driving a desk. If you can get into a Test Pilot program or Training unit (Fort Rucker), then you might accrue more hours than the average commissioned officer. I know majors that still didn't hit the gates to make "permanent" flight pay. A kick in the nuts if you ask me.

You'll also find warrants dedicated to doing the HUMINT job. Most commissioned intel officers are "All Source." As an officer you get paid too much just to know only one intel discipline. I have an intel captain and HUMINT warrant on my team now, that I could ask to counsel you.

As far as the Army is concerned, you have absolutely ZERO control on what you do unless you fall in this category: child of a Medal of Honor Recipient, child of a General Officer, or prior service as an officer in the National Guard.

Here's the deal: Sign-up as a SMP ROTC Cadet and go to drill with the National Guard or Reserve unit that has an MOS that you're interested in (If you have a ROTC Scholarship, then disregard). You might have to drive hundreds of miles once a month, but if its the MOS you want, then it'll be worth it. Get to know the commander of that unit and get to know his boss. tell them you want to stay National Guard after commissioning. Tell them you want to go to Basic Course as soon as you get commissioned. Attend the Basic Course of your choosing (that of the unit you've been drilling with). Once those commanders change command, you submit paperwork to go Active Duty. No bridges burnt, a little delayed compared to your peers, but you get what you want. Also, there's no guarantee you'll get Active Duty, but because of the shortage, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Otherwise, expect to receive one of your top five choices. Or top three if you're a Distinguished Military Graduate. When you sign your ROTC contract they'll have you fill out paperwork asking for your top 12 or so Branch Choices (mind you, I did this paperwork 17 years ago). An additional choice is called Branch Detail. You'll serve your Lieutenant time as a combat arms officers, and then re-branch and become a GIB/fobbit afterwards, i.e. logistician, intelligence, signal, chemical, etc. There are great officers that are non-combat arms, but unfortunately you don't get to read about them in history books.

If you go 10 years, then think about. Your halfway to 20, so just go ahead and retire. It's after company command in which you are the most marketable with Corporate America. Almost guaranteed a 6-figure job after command if you got yourself a good headhunter. You typically complete company command at the 8 year mark, so at that point you have huge life impacting decision-making to do.

Once you start leading soldiers though, you'll love it. There's nothing greater that life has to offer than leading men in combat -aside from maybe raising your own kids. Whatever MOS you chose, the big picture is always about those soldiers on the frontline. If you chose to be a leader of men defending or attacking from that line, then more power to you.

I'm here if you have any other questions.

Last edited by Vindikacione : 02-20-2010 at 04:30 AM. Reason: typographical errors
Vindikacione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:40 AM #69
babsa_90

Here is some advice that my last chief instructor at my school told me ...

Do what YOU want to do, not what everyone else thinks you should do. Don't waste your time thinking about what other people will think. Take charge of your life and stop living it by other people's standards.

Furthermore, i would like to say that if you are interested in being an officer, you can go enlisted to officer, not just college to officer. But if you want the college education first then by all means, do it.
babsa_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:11 PM #70
countryboynance
..some random guy..

countryboynance supports Team VICIOUS
If your in HS and not a senior go into JROTC for 3 semesters and you can go in as a E-3 (PFC) or E-2 but, I wanna say it's E-3. Plus, you learn the basics and join Raiders and get up to running bout 8 miles and it will "help" you in BCT though, you will still have to gain alot more endurance! and no i'm not in the Army..yet!

-Azodin KP(stock, not for long)
-SP Ion(CP 1-Piece .689 barrel-Dust Red On/Off and reg, Shocktech trigger-body-feedneck-bolt, Virtue Redefined board, Stock trigger frame-grips)
-Tippmann 98C (stock)
If your parents DON'T pay for your paintball stuff put this in your sig!
countryboynance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:37 PM #71
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by solrflare View Post
Outranking 80% of your branch doesn't mean ****. And you're still the lowest of them.

Those young E-5s and seasoned E-8s salute you because they have to, not because they respect you. That comes with time.

It's good that there is at least one good officer in the Air Force, and that he'd take a bullet for you - but hopefully he won't have to, being in the AF and all.

I hate 90% of officers, and I am one. Pretty ****ed up, huh?
You're just like my old PL, whom I'd follow to the depths of hell with..."I ****ing hate lieutenants" rings a bell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindikacione View Post
To be honest, I'm surprised no Academy Ring Knocker has jumped on board and said go to West Point, Annapolis, or AF Academy instead! Maybe they don't play paintball?!

Interesting thread: Views are hard right or hard left, not much love for the officer corps and yet no disdain for the enlisted corps. Regardless, one thing remains true less than 1% of our entire US population serve in the Military. Think about the other 99% -the civilians, the ones we truly serve, who happen to be reading this thread. And realize their confusion when they read the amount of distrust and animosity there is within the only element of America that truly represents what this country stands for: Freedom.

A sad state of affairs, if this is how we are going to represent the military. For the sake of the uniform you wear, I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself, because all and any negativity expounded between officer or enlisted is profoundly unprofessional and a serious waste of time and energy. Officers of any service are not the enemy. The enemy is an equal opportunity killer who likes reading about posts like this and see through our military weaknesses. Displaying it on PBNation is the lowest of all lows for anyone attempting to say they wear their uniform proudly. Everyone swore an oath whether they are an officer or enlisted and obviously there are few of us out there that don't remember or know what it means to swear before God and Country. Or maybe they are just pathological liars. Either way fix yourself or quit serving because you disgrace what it means to wear the uniform of a member of the United States Armed Forces... the best damn military in the history of the world.

End Rant.
You seem like a pretty respectable man also. The Military needs more people like you. Maybe one day I'll fill the ranks as an officer. I might only be an E4 but I know more than my share of how things are done. I would even go so far as to say that there are E6's and E7's that I could put to shame, but that's only in a combat situation. I've been pondering signing up for the ARNG when my time is up and dropping a Warrant packet to fly. If there are any CW3's or above that wouldn't mind writing a LOR for me in about 9 months, I'd appreciate it.
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote