Community Focus

Old 10-21-2008, 08:28 PM #43
Killa_X
Beer-thirty!

has been a member for 10 years
Killa_X is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by equang2 View Post
guys what are the most important muscles for ski racers?

im guessing triceps(pushing), quads, abs, hamstrings

i want to improve like tenfold on my racing(SL and GS) and i should probably start working out
definately leg muscles, nothing like taking the first mogul run of the season and feeling the burn all the way down. Also work on your core muscles (abdomen, lumbar, etc.) Lots of leg lift and cruches and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma11 View Post
I used to ski when I was younger and just getting back into it. Im looking to pickup some brand new 08 model twin tips, but im also looking at a used pair of 07 armadas for 150 with bindings. Ill more than likely be working at loon or waterville valley and skiing both of those and also sunday river, sugarloaf, shawnee peak and whatever else comes my way.

Armada makes great skis. I would suggest also looking at Line and K2. What are you looking to do, park and rails or all around/ big mountain?

Either way, look around on manufactures websites and maybe www.newschoolers.com for a ski that will suit your needs and that looks cool

And working at the mountain is good deal. Even if you are a liftie, you usually will get madly discounted tickets for the mountain and maybe even other local mountains.
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2008, 08:38 PM #44
Bobman7
Jewcifer

Bobman7 is a Supporting Member
Bobman7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Bobman7 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bobman7 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
So i think I'm gonna get my emt certification, and my level 2 PSIA Cert. and then head out west for a few years or until i get bored...so hopefully much longer
Old 10-21-2008, 08:55 PM #45
Killa_X
Beer-thirty!

^sounds like a good plan. I planned on moving west after highschool but i'll prolly stay here in the east, maybe go to Lyndon State in Vermont, right up there by Jay Peak.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:13 PM #46
Bobman7
Jewcifer

Bobman7 is a Supporting Member
Bobman7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Bobman7 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bobman7 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I hope it doesn't turn out to be some huge mistake
Old 10-21-2008, 11:19 PM #47
Trauma11
BSB

Trauma11 is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
Trauma11 plays in the APPA Pro division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa_X View Post
definately leg muscles, nothing like taking the first mogul run of the season and feeling the burn all the way down. Also work on your core muscles (abdomen, lumbar, etc.) Lots of leg lift and cruches and such.

Armada makes great skis. I would suggest also looking at Line and K2. What are you looking to do, park and rails or all around/ big mountain?

Either way, look around on manufactures websites and maybe www.newschoolers.com for a ski that will suit your needs and that looks cool

And working at the mountain is good deal. Even if you are a liftie, you usually will get madly discounted tickets for the mountain and maybe even other local mountains.
I was looking at the line invader 08s as well. Ill probably get the used armadas. I want to to do everything, park, rails, downhill, everything I actually want to be a liftee its mad hard to get a terrain park job up here and lift op is mad easy
Brett Messer #22
LA Infamous
Manchester Firm
Pro Shar | Planet Eclipse | Virtue | Push | Nike | Powerhouse | FNDN

RIP Carl DeVellis #3
RIP Bay State Bandits
Old 11-01-2008, 04:57 PM #48
Killa_X
Beer-thirty!

just trying to keep the thread alive.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:26 PM #49
MiniMan 28

whistler opening day next weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 PM #50
Scotman
WhoBr0tSnacks

1) Scott Sims

2) Live in Texas but I ski Taos and Ruidoso NM for the most part.

3) I have a pair of Rossignol Bandits for boots but I just ski on demos cuz I havent found a pair of skis I like

4) I have been skiing since I was 7. Usually only a few times a season but I enjoy every moment of it the whole time. I am a big mountain guy blacks, doubles, and the ridge when Im at Taos. Im not into the whole freestyle scene, nothing wrong with it, its just not my thing. I have skied Taos, Ruidoso, Sante Fe, Purgatory, Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, and Aspen.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:28 AM #51
Killa_X
Beer-thirty!

i've updated the members list.

winter is getting closer
Old 11-15-2008, 10:44 AM #52
Trauma11
BSB

plays in the NXL
pretty much all mountains open next week up here. pretty pumped
Brett Messer #22
LA Infamous
Manchester Firm

RIP Carl DeVellis #3
RIP Bay State Bandits
Old 11-15-2008, 11:03 AM #53
Killa_X
Beer-thirty!

nice. I won't be skiing for a few more weeks. Don't even have my skis yet
Old 11-15-2008, 11:18 AM #54
Trauma11
BSB

plays in the NXL
get on it. the mountains in northern maine have been open for a couple of weeks, but the conditions have sucked due to rain. I have the new england pass for this season so ill be skiing loon, sunday river and sugarloaf a lot.
Brett Messer #22
LA Infamous
Manchester Firm

RIP Carl DeVellis #3
RIP Bay State Bandits
Old 11-15-2008, 12:42 PM #55
Killa_X
Beer-thirty!

Nice. Sunday River is where Dumont broke the quarterpipe record, if i'm not mistaken. He is sure a crazy bastard, completely overshooting the jump at Park City, and falling something like 55ft out of the air on one of the record attempts.

I ordered my skis back in the beginning of october at the Pro Night and i'm waiting for them to come in still. Probably getting them mounted at +5
Old 11-16-2008, 07:59 PM #56
equang2
+0553D uR 54!4d

equang2 helped look for balloons

^ me in my first year skiing last year. just tried ski out, the first like 2 months of the season i was terrible, then in feb when we started having optional practices for the people that made states, i raced on the practice hills for states and alot of things started clicking for me

I AM SOOOOOOOO PUMPED FOR THIS SEASON. just snowed a TON today here in michigan, hope to get out on the hill, work on my stuff and make VARSITY this year baby yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

gah i need to keep my arms up, that pic was like my 1st or 2nd race. i did some nastar toward the end of the season too, that was fun.

Last edited by equang2 : 11-16-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:04 PM #57
ghostcell

joeyjoeyjoeyjoey

I kid I kid. And it does not matter where your arms are, as long as you're forward on the front of your boots (NOT hunching over with your butt out, I mean hips forward).

Oh, and I picked up 2 pairs of 165 SL Blizzards, looking for some twin tips.

I love my Invaders but they're getting small.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:12 PM #58
equang2
+0553D uR 54!4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostcell View Post
joeyjoeyjoeyjoey

I kid I kid. And it does not matter where your arms are, as long as you're forward on the front of your boots (NOT hunching over with your butt out, I mean hips forward).

Oh, and I picked up 2 pairs of 165 SL Blizzards, looking for some twin tips.

I love my Invaders but they're getting small.
when you race slalom arent you suppose to have ur arms out in front of you? only toward the last few weeks of my 1st season did i learn the concept of crossblocking

my tuck is still not 2 pretty either but i have alot of work to do this year, races start in january. out of the 30ish members on the ski team only 6 race each night, and there are 2 open spots. i know if i work hard enough i can slide into that 5th spot. last year we got 1st in regionals and 6th at states, we lost the best slalom racer in the state so this year we are working hard to make a push for states. hopefully i can be part of that, the last 2 weeks in the weight room ive been takin it pretty seriously and the weight room is just the easy part. itll be alot harder out on the hill
Old 11-16-2008, 08:44 PM #59
ghostcell

Yeah, I meant in GS, SG, and Downhill.

I was terrible at crossblocking when I was a J5, so I decided to not even try it. First few runs as a J4 it just came to me and it helped.

It pisses me off to see small kids who get practically thrown back by hitting the gates, yet still reach over to crossblock the gate.

Where are you located? We won Easterns last year . My runs sucked though, but I still helped my team get points.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:51 PM #60
equang2
+0553D uR 54!4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostcell View Post
Yeah, I meant in GS, SG, and Downhill.

I was terrible at crossblocking when I was a J5, so I decided to not even try it. First few runs as a J4 it just came to me and it helped.

It pisses me off to see small kids who get practically thrown back by hitting the gates, yet still reach over to crossblock the gate.

Where are you located? We won Easterns last year . My runs sucked though, but I still helped my team get points.
south east michigan. states is at nubs nob. yeah i understand that you shouldnt reach to hit gates, that puts you in a terrible situation because you are risking to fall and it looks ****ty anyways

our coach just wants our hands up so when your actually nearing the gates, with the motion of your body turning to one side, your forearm/pole should hit the gate so it doesnt hit your face. i just started getting close enough to gates in about february to need to block them last year. started skiing in december. i loved it. i was TERRIBLE for the first 2 months, i was just so angry at myself so i just skiied like as much as i could. i would practice monday-thurs, take most fridays off and then ski 1-5 on both weekend days. it was weird because i didnt gradually get a little better. i was terrible terrible terrible terrible and then all of a sudden it all clicked and i looked like a legit racer. it took me like 2 weeks to learn how to snowplow at first, it was just that hard

one of my funniest moments, at districts last year. i was making a free run right under one of the main chairlifts. our whole team was coming up and i decided to show off a little bit. i was making the most insane carves and everything and people after told me that they were REALLY impressed. all of a sudden one of my edges caught( i honestly am not totally sure what happens, i was on the ground rolling in about the smallest fraction of second), i did a couple frontflips and just laid there. i could hear everyone on the lift like gasp, stay silent for a moment, and then some laughter

question for avid racers: i got a brand new pair of 09 head skis this year, and last year i waxed my own skis but i never got the bases done. this one kids dad is telling that i should get my bases done at the shop, but i posted the question on yahoo answers and the most experienced answer guy on there gave me about a 3 paragraph answer, the bottom line being that specific base patterns only matter at the world Cup level, saying that i should just get some stones/files/setters and just do my edges.

i never got my edges done last season either, and i noticed that when i skiied on a friends ski's it was SOOOOOOOOOO easy to turn and my friend said that on my skiis he had to throw his body into the turn.

so im thinking ill buy myself some edge tools this season and not get the base reground?

Last edited by equang2 : 11-16-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 PM #61
ghostcell

I always get my ski's bases flattened before every season at the shop, then from there I sharpen and use diamondstones if necessary.

You should look around for some tuning clinics. That's how me and my dad learned everything, experimenting also and years of practice. A tuning clinic is basically a rep from a popular company, for example Toko, who comes and shows a group of people (Free usually) how to tune skis, and gives you tips and stuff. Well worth going to

And I have a pretty funny story too. I was coming down the right gulley at Tuckermans and was going pretty fast. It was at the end of the season for Tuckerman's so the snow was super soft. Well I tried carving into this big mound of snow, and I just hit it sideways, flipped, and rolled a good 50 feet down the hill, RIGHT next to probably 100 people who were hiking up. Everyone was cheering and laughing, so funny.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:28 PM #62
Killa_X
Beer-thirty!

always get your skis stoneground at the beginning of the season. Then you can do the waxing and edge tuning yourself. Get yourself a nice file set so you can take care of your edges. The only reason you really need to take your skis to the shop during the season is to get big gashes in the bases/ edges taken care of. Doing that yourself is a *****.

I'll post some good stories when I get to a computer.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:32 PM #63
ghostcell

**** yeah Stoneground, forgot the name for it. I do it to every new pair/every pair before the season.

Pitex isn't that hard to use. I try to be careful with my raceskis so none of that **** ever happens.

Oh, and if you're not using ski straps....USE THEM.