Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Is Ramping a handicap??
yes i can one ball kids 18 72.00%
no some people need it 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2011, 12:41 PM #1
311 kg

311 kg owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Question Is Ramping A Handicap???

What Do You Think should it be in the sport at all??
To me it seems that you dont need as much fundementals when using ramping it makes games slower harder to bump up resticts big plays it makes the sport way to easy and not about TALENT.

Last edited by 311 kg : 04-08-2011 at 02:45 PM.
311 kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2011, 01:44 PM #2
stalefishsk8er

stalefishsk8er supports Team VICIOUS
stalefishsk8er is for the Gunfight
stalefishsk8er supports Pev's Paintball
Back I was just your normal run of the mill rec player I thought I was okay but now since I'm a ref I think that ramping shouldn't be allowed and go back the mechanical semi auto days
Old 04-02-2011, 01:52 PM #3
311 kg

foreal about time someone says the same
Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 PM #4
Krez

Krez owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Another ramping thread? Ramping shouldn't be allowed in recball or woods ball at all. Only in tournaments.
Krez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:49 PM #5
stalefishsk8er

stalefishsk8er is for the Gunfight
stalefishsk8er supports Pev's Paintball
on my first day reffing i had to tell one guy to put is spyder mr1 with electronic grip frame to put his gun on semi-auto for walk on play. if it was a party with all electros i would say the hell with semi auto and just put it on any mods you want
Old 04-02-2011, 06:44 PM #6
311 kg

"ramping is for kids with stubby fingers" lmao
Old 04-02-2011, 07:14 PM #7
Irish916
eThug

has been a member for 10 years
Irish916 plays in the PSP
Ramping is a great thing for competitive play.

For recball and playing against rentals...it is still a great thing when used how intended [12bps, encourages big plays and playing smart instead of defensive].

When some jackass with a decent gun who's never played a tourney uses uncapped ramping on rental players and scrubs it gives it a bad name.

lol at ramping is for people with slow fingers. I can shoot ~15bps on semi and I don't move my fingers any slower than normal when using ramping.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 AM #8
Mr.Jenkins
enjoy the ments

Mr.Jenkins owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Mr.Jenkins has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Low-capped ramping can be a good thing. Many players who have been playing for a few years, they'll be able to shoot 14 or 15 bps on semi. So when you cap them at 12 bps ramp, it'll slow them down, and force them to use tactics instead of high rates of fire.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:12 AM #9
LordOderus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jenkins View Post
Low-capped ramping can be a good thing. Many players who have been playing for a few years, they'll be able to shoot 14 or 15 bps on semi. So when you cap them at 12 bps ramp, it'll slow them down, and force them to use tactics instead of high rates of fire.
True, but all that can be accomplished with just a BPS cap. That way someone who can walk the trigger to 15+bps on semi, is capped at 12. The guy who can't walk past 6bps, doesn't get boosted to 12.

Caps for BPS = Good

Ramping = Handicap and complete removal of a skill

(and so everyone knows, I can walk to about 11bps with my good hand. Off hand I can't do jack. So ramping is nothing but a benefit for me, and I still dont like it)
LordOderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:47 PM #10
JohnSherman
Decade of ****posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish916 View Post
Ramping is a great thing for competitive play.

For recball and playing against rentals...it is still a great thing when used how intended [12bps, encourages big plays and playing smart instead of defensive].
You keep saying that ramping encourages big plays and everything else, but it doesn't. It removes skill and conservation entirely. I can shoot about 8-10 bps using my Spyder, but I never shoot faster than 3-4 in a game. There is no need to fire any faster unless you are trying to waste paint. A ball flying through the air every .08 seconds encourages people to hunker down and be defensive, not move forward.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:11 PM #11
Jason518
Make something happen!

Jason518 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Jason518 supports Bob Gurnsey
Ramping = fun, once you have played more than twice, stop playing with renters and birthday parties.
Tooch Harderer.
Walking back to respawn since 1996!
Jason518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:18 PM #12
JohnSherman
Decade of ****posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason518 View Post
Ramping = fun, once you have played more than twice, stop playing with renters and birthday parties.
Ramping=/= Fun
Ramping=Junk
Old 04-03-2011, 02:58 PM #13
houstonwild

At the field I play (Twisted Games of Texas) it's semi only for everyday recball, however, one day a month we do a "fun day" where it's usually all tournament players, they use the airball field, and we use ramping, and it's still an awesome time.

98% percent of ballers wipe, if your part of the 2% that has some sense of honor add this to your sig
houstonwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:00 PM #14
Gangstalicious
I play paintball

Gangstalicious is for the Gunfight
Gangstalicious supports Sherwood Forest
Gangstalicious posts videos on PbNation
Gangstalicious has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
You keep saying that ramping encourages big plays and everything else, but it doesn't. It removes skill and conservation entirely. I can shoot about 8-10 bps using my Spyder, but I never shoot faster than 3-4 in a game. There is no need to fire any faster unless you are trying to waste paint. A ball flying through the air every .08 seconds encourages people to hunker down and be defensive, not move forward.
ramping is good for laning, and keeping people down in their bunkers, but if your playing with rentals all day, then you can keep them down only firing a couple per second. and when theres alot of paint coming at me i come back out wherever there's not paint, because when i hear tons of paint coming at me, i think someone's trying to make a big move, or bunker me.
Gangstalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:26 PM #15
JohnSherman
Decade of ****posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangstalicious View Post
ramping is good for laning, and keeping people down in their bunkers, but if your playing with rentals all day, then you can keep them down only firing a couple per second. and when theres alot of paint coming at me i come back out wherever there's not paint, because when i hear tons of paint coming at me, i think someone's trying to make a big move, or bunker me.
You don't need 12.5 bps to keep someone in their bunker. That is just wasteful.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:43 PM #16
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Lol ramping can help conservation. It doesn't remove skill it takes "trigger finger" skill and relocates it to "play smarter, work with your team better, get good at gun fighting, get good at laning, everything else" skill pool.

Ramping has a large part on how xball is played and it is fast paced compared to 7man NPPL...which uses semi.

You're a scrub, go play some tourneys, do well, and get back to me. You don't have enough experience to have a dog in this fight.

Quote:
You don't need 12.5 bps to keep someone in their bunker. That is just wasteful.
Yeah you do for certain situations. If you are trying to put the opposite corner in for your front player to move up or trying to prevent someone from running out to snake you do.

A good player will shoot you in and move if you shoot 3 balls at them per second.

Last edited by Irish916 : 04-03-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Irish916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 PM #17
FedEx_Ground

FedEx_Ground owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Ramping makes rentals/1st timers sad. Discourages new players. Shouldn't be allowed for recball. Recreation means, done for enjoyment. We aren't playing tournaments here.

Ramping in PSP style tournaments, well thats why its PSP. Deal with it.
Semi in NPPL, well thats why its NPPL. Deal with it.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:17 PM #18
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Fubarius is a Moderator
Fubarius supports our troops
Quote:
Lol ramping can help conservation.
3 shots per trigger pull at a capped rate causes more paint to be shot than 1 shot per trigger pull at the same capped rate. This is called math, 3>1, very useful skill to have.

Quote:
It doesn't remove skill it takes "trigger finger" skill and relocates it to "play smarter, work with your team better, get good at gun fighting, get good at laning, everything else" skill pool.
Since when are skills mutually exclusive? It's not like some RPG video game where there's a fixed number of "skill points" that have to be divided up.

Quote:
Ramping has a large part on how xball is played and it is fast paced compared to 7man NPPL...which uses semi.
Who cares about tournament play? You do know which forum you're in right now, right? (hint, scroll up a bit, should be just to the right of the words "Ways to Play Paintball") Though if this discussion were happening in the Tournament Player Talk forum I might argue that the faced pace of Xball/PSP type play has much more to do with the multi game format than trigger modes, since one bad point won't lose you the entire match, but that's rather irrelevant here where the talk is about play with widely mixed skill levels (from pro to renter) and the goal is to have as many of those players enjoying the experience as possible.

Quote:
You're a scrub, go play some tourneys, do well, and get back to me.
And now you've lost all credibility. Do us all a favor, play some paintball. Not practice. Not compete. Just show up at a field in what ever you're wearing, rent a tippmann, and play. If you aren't willing to do that, then why are you even reading any of the posts here?

Nunquam emere possis quae facitis
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:29 PM #19
ghost93

ghost93 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ghost93 is for the Gunfight
ghost93 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ghost93 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Ramping isn't meant for recreational play, it's for competition so this doesn't really belong in this forum. In competition it isn't really a handicap, it actually forces you to get better at other aspects because you can't rely on superior firepower.

Quote:
Lol ramping can help conservation. It doesn't remove skill it takes "trigger finger" skill and relocates it to "play smarter, work with your team better, get good at gun fighting, get good at laning, everything else" skill pool.

You're a scrub, go play some tourneys, do well, and get back to me. You don't have enough experience to have a dog in this fight.

Yeah you do for certain situations. If you are trying to put the opposite corner in for your front player to move up or trying to prevent someone from running out to snake you do.

A good player will shoot you in and move if you shoot 3 balls at them per second.

12.5 doesn't stop players from moving, 3-4 bps means they can pretty much just walk to their next bunker.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:50 PM #20
waxedpaint
Lividity in Haziness

Ramping does not belong in the sport at all if you ask me. It is a handicap for people who are incapable of shooting consistently. It's all a dog and pony show for companies anyway, who's gun can shoot faster and who's gun can blah blah blah. Semi Auto Mechanical System X Auto Cocker is what I have and I love it. I will also very soon have a G3R. In my opinion, if you can't shoot semi, then you don't belong playing the game. With ramp, there is no talent anymore, people are all leveled and massive amounts of paint are shot in order to get people out, no strategy, no balls, no fun. Just my opinion.
waxedpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:50 PM #21
ghost93

ghost93 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ghost93 is for the Gunfight
ghost93 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ghost93 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
3 shots per trigger pull at a capped rate causes more paint to be shot than 1 shot per trigger pull at the same capped rate. This is called math, 3>1, very useful skill to have.

But most places the cap isn't the same, so it actually does help.

Since when are skills mutually exclusive? It's not like some RPG video game where there's a fixed number of "skill points" that have to be divided up.

No one said it was, but decreasing the importance of one minor skill (finger speed) does make you focus more on being aggressive and communicating because you can't just roll your gun faster than them to keep them in.

Who cares about tournament play? You do know which forum you're in right now, right? (hint, scroll up a bit, should be just to the right of the words "Ways to Play Paintball") Though if this discussion were happening in the Tournament Player Talk forum I might argue that the faced pace of Xball/PSP type play has much more to do with the multi game format than trigger modes, since one bad point won't lose you the entire match, but that's rather irrelevant here where the talk is about play with widely mixed skill levels (from pro to renter) and the goal is to have as many of those players enjoying the experience as possible.

That can be applied to more than just those tournament formats. The fact that the league with ramping is faster paced with bigger plays actually shows you that ramping does change the game quite a bit, even outside of tournaments.

And now you've lost all credibility. Do us all a favor, play some paintball. Not practice. Not compete. Just show up at a field in what ever you're wearing, rent a tippmann, and play. If you aren't willing to do that, then why are you even reading any of the posts here?
How does that apply to his argument at all? It's no better than the personal attack at the end of his post.

Also, just because someone plays competitively doesn't mean they don't play for fun from time to time. I know that I do on a regular basis. In fact, just today I hopped in on a game for fun while I took a break from reffing. I used my own gun, but only because I was making sure it was shooting the way I wanted it to after I adjusted the dwell.