Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-21-2009, 04:44 PM #1
J-noob16

C02 Shooting Out of RPM

Hi, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to paintball. As in I don't know how to strip a gun down, work on it, and put it back together. I bought an RPM Odyssey off e-bay from First Call Paintball. When it arrived I took it into the backyard and fired a hopper or two. I was really impressed. Just to let you know, I use CO2, and I know that some don't reccomend it for electronic guns. I was really happy with my purchase when I took it to my local paintball course, screwed in the C02, and it started to shoot out of several places. I took it the my local shop and they said that they don't have the parts to work on it. Luckily, it was still under the warranty and I am going to ship it back and hopefully get a new one that works for more than a few weeks. Looking around this site, I have seen a few people who reccomend lubing the o-rings inside the gun, which by the way I don't know who to get to. My question is that if not lubing the o-rings could have caused my problem. Also, is there any way to find replacement parts for the gun incase something happens later. Please help a noob get back into the sport. Also, what barrel do you reccomend for it, within a minimal price range.
J-noob16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2009, 06:24 PM #2
waarp8nt
Jeep'n Rocks!

has been a member for 10 years
First check out the webpage www.rpmowners.com, you'll find some good info put together from many previous and current users here on the forum.

C02 cannot be used on most electro markers b/c most have humphry style soleniods that can be destroyed by the thermal and expanstion properties of C02. The rpm has a two way valve and is as capable of handling C02 as any mechanical autococker, with that in mind it is recommended that some precausions be taken to prevent liquid C02 from entering the marker. The recommened cure being the addition of an anti-siphon tube in your C02 tank, the tube helps prevent liquid C02 from entering the marker. Since you are unable to do your own marker repairs at this time it is highly recommended that you have a pro-shop install the anti-siphon tubes in your C02 tanks. The tank or tanks have to be "timed" to your marker so the tubes point in the right directs as to not pick up any liquid. Any and all tanks you are going to use on your marker should have the anti-siphon tubes installed, one downfall is the tanks will not likely be able to be used on any other markers you and your friends may own (the tanks will likely not "time" out the same on their markers).

Now that you know the above information you can easily see why the marker failed. By using your tank and it being full or you holding your marker improperly with the barrel down you saturated the regulator with liquid C02 and caused it to bypass and expand beyond the markers intended operating pressure. The marker is designed to work under 600 psi and you likely gave it a dosage of 1800 psi or more (3x more than it was ever disigned to handle), so you can see it is was not the markers fault it failed. Before you even try the other marker (if you are lucky enough firstcall gives you another) get your tanks fixed up with some anti-siphon tubes. If I was you I would add a VA and a Vertical regulator as to not have this problem again. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions...that is how all of us got started!
waarp8nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 PM #3
TheyDropForward

Hey waarp8nt--

In regards to keeping CO2 damage to the gun to a minimal, which would you recommend more, an expansion chamber or a regulator? Also, is there a good step by step guide to installing either of these?

Noob to electros here, so if I sound dumb I'm quite sorry.
TheyDropForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:16 PM #4
EASTKOASTKILLER
1017 ZachBergSquad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyDropForward View Post
Hey waarp8nt--

In regards to keeping CO2 damage to the gun to a minimal, which would you recommend more, an expansion chamber or a regulator? Also, is there a good step by step guide to installing either of these?

Noob to electros here, so if I sound dumb I'm quite sorry.
pick up a HPA bottle in the b/s/t for cheaaaaap Thats honestly your best bet bro
EASTKOASTKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:25 PM #5
TheyDropForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASTKOASTKILLER View Post
pick up a HPA bottle in the b/s/t for cheaaaaap Thats honestly your best bet bro
Thank you for the advice, but I already have an anti siphon 20 oz that I think will do nicely if I can just figure out how to install a reg on the darn thing to keep my gun from exploding.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:44 PM #6
J-noob16

First off, sorry for sending you a PM warrp8nt. I sent it before you replied to my thread. Thanks for the info, it seems great. My question about anti-siphon tubes is wheter I should buy them from my local shop and have them install them or if I should buy them off e-bay and have the local shpo instal them. Also, about how much am I looking at to have anti-siphon tubes purchased and installed on a 20 oz tank and a 9 oz tank.

One more question, what VA and vertical regulator do you reccomend me purchasing, I would probably get them off of e-bay. The gun that I had was a new style (with the cross bolt adjustable feed neck) so I am guessing that the one that I will be getting will also be a new style. However I won't purchase anything until I get the gun from First Call.

I haven't really worked on paintball guns much at all but from what I have seen, installing a VA and verticle regulator doesn't seem to hard. If I do install a VA and verticle regulator should I get new hose line as well?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:28 PM #7
J-noob16

Warrp8nt, I have another question concerning the oiling of o-rings. I'm not sure if I should just oil the o-ring on the CO2 tank or if there is somewhere else on the gun that I should oil.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:40 PM #8
waarp8nt
Jeep'n Rocks!

J-noob - I didn't get the pm?

About the anti-siphon tubes. A tank with an anti-siphon tube should be under filled by 10% to help keep liquid from filling up the tube and raising pressure to high when the tank is first installed. With that in mind your 9oz tank will only get about 7-8oz installed so you will have to determine if it is worth it to you to have the 9oz tank done. Otherwise I would just have the pro shop do the tube on the 20oz with their parts (they may give you a little break as the parts only cost about $3 and last time I was checking on eBay they wanted $8 plus shipping). They may also have a VA in stock if the store has been around long enough to deal with the old school spyders.

Let's see what model rpm you get and we can go from there on the answers about the marker.

TDF - You shouldn't have a X-chamber installed on an rpm. Palmer Pursuit gives a good reason why...in simple terms it goes something like this; the C02 can change in the chamber and raise pressure too high for the marker in an instant (and for that reason an X-chamber should never be used after a regulator). Since, Palmer Pursuit is the #1 expert on C02 (plus it makes good common sense) its safe to say they are right. Get a Regulator like a Palmer Stabilizer or a Bob Long Torpedo, they are both made very well and C02 great. I would be afraid to purchase either used.

The odyssey FAQ's & www.rpmowners.com has some info on installs. If you need something more specific feel free to shoot me a PM. It may take a few days for me to get back to you b/c I'm in training and do not always have access to a P.C.
waarp8nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:24 PM #9
J-noob16

Hey Warrp8nt, I have another questions for you. I was looking around the Odyssey forum and have seen several postings that say the ideal pressure for the RPM odyssey is like 100-400 or something like that. However, when I screwed my CO2 tank, I saw the pressure gauge goo past the 600 mark. I am wondering how it is to keep the pressure low so that the gun can function at its best. Should I have them only fill the CO2 tank like half way or what? Please get back to me. Also, I don't think I have five posts so I can't send/recieve PM's.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 PM #10
tspear

about the co2 the anti-siphon i was reading up on these and they do not work a 100 percent over time. Co2 is a liquid and it sometimes does not stop it from reaching your gun the best way to stop the liquid from reaching your gun is a remote line to your tank and keep your tank in a pod belt that has a place for the tank and have it straight up. Co2 is not a good way to run a gun. If you want to keep a gun that is electronic the longest pick up a cheap compressed air tank. I know they are a little on the high side but they are worth every penny of it. you will end up saving money in the end on marker problems and because most places charge individually to get co2 filled and compressed air is usually one price for all day air.
tspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:16 PM #11
J-noob16

Tspear, I have been doing my own researching on CO2 and nitro tanks. I know that nitro tanks are better for electric guns, and they can be refilled at paintball courses the same as CO2. However, I paintball in my friends backyard a lot, and he has a large tank that he fills with CO2. This lets us refill at his house, without having to go all the way to the closeest paintball store. If I got a nitro tank, it would only be good for like one game right? If that was to happen, I would have to find some place to get it filled.

What I am thinking of doing if purchasing a nitro tank, making it my primary, and then using CO2 when my nitro runs out (if I'm not at a course).

My questions is, about how much will a nitro tank cost? And since the RPM odyssey is a low-pressure gun, do I have to get a special nitro tank?

Also, I might look into a line for my CO2 tank to keep pointed upwards and in my belt.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 PM #12
EASTKOASTKILLER
1017 ZachBergSquad.

1) depending your setting and what size bottles it could last several games...
2)a High pressure tank will work fine on your gun...
3)you can find steel Tanks pretty Cheap just look around here on the nation
EASTKOASTKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:58 PM #13
J-noob16

I think that I would definatley get a steel tank, even if it weighs quite a bit.

However, I though that the rpm odyssey was a low-pressure gun? I think that the reason that the first one that I had messed up was because I had too much pressure on it. Even if I had my gun held level, the gauge was still reading past the 600 mark. I don't want to damage the gun that I will hopefully be getting by having too much pressure running through it.

If I put my VA and vertical regulator on my gun, than will it have any problems with the high pressure nitro tank?

And about how much am I looking at for a steel nitro tank? Also, instead of finding someone on the nation selling one, maybe I should look around on craigslist and see if anyone is selling one, that way there would be no shipping of the heavy steel tank.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 AM #14
TheyDropForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-noob16 View Post
I think that I would definatley get a steel tank, even if it weighs quite a bit.

However, I though that the rpm odyssey was a low-pressure gun? I think that the reason that the first one that I had messed up was because I had too much pressure on it. Even if I had my gun held level, the gauge was still reading past the 600 mark. I don't want to damage the gun that I will hopefully be getting by having too much pressure running through it.

If I put my VA and vertical regulator on my gun, than will it have any problems with the high pressure nitro tank?

And about how much am I looking at for a steel nitro tank? Also, instead of finding someone on the nation selling one, maybe I should look around on craigslist and see if anyone is selling one, that way there would be no shipping of the heavy steel tank.
You can either use the stock regulator (there is a regulator mounted on the bottom of the ASA where you put your tank in) or install a regulator of your own.

High pressure tanks will work on low pressure guns as long as you have a proper regulator.

You can get steel or aluminum tanks for pretty cheap here on the nation or on other sites. Bargain hunt for a little bit. Look around in the b/s/t here, eBay, Craigslist, etc. Be a little wary of used tanks, and ALWAYS ask the seller when the next hydrotest date on the tank is before buying.

If you buy on the Nation, make sure to check people's feedback to make sure they aren't scammers.

Price will depend on what type/size of tank you get.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:29 PM #15
TruenoAE86
Pumpker'd

If you're desperate about using C02 you can install a Palmer stabilizer, but they're kind of expensive compared to even just a cheap steely tank.
TruenoAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:21 PM #16
J-noob16

Well instead of getting a Palmer stablizer or a nitro tank, what about a remote line? With one I could keep my CO2 tank pointed upwards and in a belt. If I do that, I wouldn't need to worry about liquid CO2 getting into the gun and still use CO2.

I have been thinking that getting the remote line, instead of a nitro tank, will free up some money. I have been PMing waarp8nt, and he reccomends a Bob Long Torpedo regulator, and they go for like $50.

I have been looking up remote lines on ebay and the forum. I will put a few links on and please tell me what you think about them.

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...ine+for +sale
http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Coil-Co2-...3A2%7C294%3A50
http://cgi.ebay.com/Coil-Remote-Hose...3A2%7C294%3A50