Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-21-2012, 11:23 PM #1
Jacuzzi

I'm new to paintball and have 2 spyders and Q's.

So I just started playin paintball. I bought two markers online, old Spyder TL and a Spyder Sonix. So I basically have two questions. 1. Which one is better 2. Which one is better to modify? Thanks
Jacuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 PM #2
Opteron-O3
Elite Spyder Owner

Opteron-O3 is a Supporting Member
Opteron-O3 posts videos on PbNation
Opteron-O3 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
What spyder sonic is it? There are like 4 different kinds. Generally all spyders are the same except for the most recent. The most recent have a better bang for your buck.
MacrolineGuy.com
Opteron-O3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM #3
masterofTHUMBS
boom headshot

masterofTHUMBS posts videos on PbNation
masterofTHUMBS is an NCPA player
masterofTHUMBS supports Pev's Paintball
masterofTHUMBS plays in the APPA D5 division
In reality both guns are probably almost identical. Look at the internals (and outside pieces too) to see if anything doesn't look stock (maybe a wrong color or different brand name). Delrin bolts (hopefully a spring loaded ACS kind) and aftermarket feednecks are always nice. Also look at the barrels, look for a brand logo to see if it's still the stock barrel (not horrible, but not good) or an upgraded barrel (better than stock). You can also switch the internals around too. All of the pieces should switch out easily allowing you to build your spyder the way you want while allowing you to still have a backup or guest marker.
masterofTHUMBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 PM #4
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
Prognosis- use a loaner gun or just play with anyway.

DEAR OP here is my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofTHUMBS View Post
to see if anything doesn't look stock (maybe a wrong color or different brand name)
do this first, take inventory, clean them and get them in working condition FIRST! In the case you see parts that look newer, take pictures and post which i recommend anyway. This is the best advice, learn a little about what you have before throwing things at to "make it better". Not saying you can make it your own just don't do it blindly. my classic(similar to the TL) gets used as a pump ALL STOCK and MY BLM(Bob long Millenium) Also stays stock when its used.

Quote:
Delrin bolts (hopefully a spring loaded ACS kind)
I know people use them but i would rather use the aluminum venturi bolts. The ACS bolts are just ick. A solid high flowing bolt with a couple orings is about as good as it gets. If you have trouble with breaking on a regular basis, check your paint then get a better loader. I still break when i throw on a shake and bake, but even a revvy thats sound activated helps out tremendously. If you don't plan on shooting fast all the time a revvvy is wonderfull even for a mechanical gun. I used borrowed a friends for a while and used it on my upped VS2, eye's off @ 12bps all day.

Quote:
and aftermarket feednecks are always nice.
Yes they are, but the old tl and sonix are cross fed. That means to modify it you would have to cut the neck off and have a plan to mount it. There are currently 0 after market support for this. There was something years ago that changed it but good luck finding it. Your better off making your own.

Quote:
Also look at the barrels, look for a brand logo to see if it's still the stock barrel (not horrible, but not good) or an upgraded barrel (better than stock).
Stock barrels are usually glossy black with little holes along the barrel, they are also norious for being beating out of shape and in general have been know to not work well. The Newer spyders have decent barrels, I've been know to use the VS2 or Electra 2 piece over a Freak kit or J&J.
Best Affordable barrel, J&J ceramic for 30 bucks and cheaper. If you plan on using your spyder get a barrel if you not thrilled about the one you have.

Quote:
You can also switch the internals around too. All of the pieces should switch out easily allowing you to build your spyder the way you want while allowing you to still have a backup or guest marker.
Like I said earlier, its not that you can't but just clean it up and get it working right again. Find out what you can do on the cheap, like drilling out the ASA and VA for better flow. Find out if your equipted to machine the valve and pin or get it done for free. To spend money on the older ones when i could pick up either and Low Pressure that somebody is done with, get an newer pilot and throw a reg on it , get a newer electra ready out of the box and all for the the price you could start spending on parts. In 2009 I picked up an used electra with some upgrades for less than $100 and a Pilot dirt cheap. By the time you buy this and that to make your old gun "updated" it will cost you an easy $50.

I'm all out of ideas again and this text is so plain.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this new look.
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote