Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM #106
splatter00

has been a member for 10 years
splatter00 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
splatter00 plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie_H8 View Post
nppl pro division NORMALLY has a few bunk teams and some very good teams. dynasty has been killing it in the PSP this year, but the 2 NPPL's they played they lost in the first round on sunday... its just a whole different animal that takes different skill and mind sets.

That being said this seems like a "throw money at us please" move.
No, dynasty doesnt practice 7man. They show up and play. That should how you right there how the league has died. It is not a different animal, as you can see most 7 man teams in nppl dont survive in psp. Most psp teams dont waste the time or money on nppl
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2013, 01:45 PM #107
Andocommando
Honey Badger don't care

plays in the NXL
Andocommando owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Andocommando posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydad View Post
Is it really helping the sport and especially the ranks of professional paintball to support a league that has and continues to disrespect the true professional players and teams buy allowing virtually any team with a couple bucks to play dress up and call themselves professionals?
The problem with this is, any new or non playing paintball player thinks that anyone dressed up in a jersey is a "pro player." At the NPPL Chicago event, there were quite a few people coming in off the street to watch the games, and I would bet that those spectators could not tell the difference between field 1(D4-D2) and 2(D1-Pro). Saying a league is "disrepecting true professionals" who act the same way as non-professionals is wack. What makes you a PRO player? In every other sport it means you get paid to participate in that sport. Uh not in paintball. So what truly diversifies a Pro player and a non pro?
All the hate and wanting the NPPL to die is hurting the sport however you look at it. Nppl dying means less paintball and less exposure, PERIOD. Of those spectators that took time out of their day to watch, hopefully a few of them will try paintball, and Paintball Explosion(the field where the event was held) would be a great place to start. Had the NPPL Chicago event not been there, those players may not have been exposed to the sport, and thus not growing the sport: If that is what we all actually wants to happen.

www.facebook.com/paintballarkansas

Last edited by Andocommando : 08-23-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Andocommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:48 PM #108
Andocommando
Honey Badger don't care

plays in the NXL
Andocommando owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Andocommando posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatter00 View Post
No, dynasty doesnt practice 7man. They show up and play. That should how you right there how the league has died. It is not a different animal, as you can see most 7 man teams in nppl dont survive in psp. Most psp teams dont waste the time or money on nppl
The schedule this year has made the events closer together toward the middle-end of the season. The events that weren't so close together, some of the PSP Pro teams did play. However the events that are/were close together, caused teams to pull out of NPPL and focus on PSP.

www.facebook.com/paintballarkansas
Andocommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:31 PM #109
Shawn*Walker

I think its great that people seem to really care about the NPPL enough to post good and bad about the league here on PBNation.

I also think, and I have said this multiple times this year, that people need to get out of the mindset of PSP vs NPPL. That is not what its about. The NPPL is trying to put on quality events for an affordable cost. Not about competing or keeping up with the PSP.

They are doing a great job and have a quality series. I just played in the Riverside event and the only complaints I heard were things out of the PSP's control (weather). I enjoyed myself and my teammates did as well. My wife watched PBAccess for the first time and was blown away at the professionalism of the production. I agree with her 100%.

But, that doesn't mean the NPPL or any other league should die because PSP is doing well. The more paintball the better for all.

The main reason for opening up the Pro division is to allow other Pro teams to come play an event if they wish. I have been approached by many of the existing Pro teams that play other leagues and have said they would like to play in an NPPL event if it fits within their schedule. Maybe not for all events but for their local event. This allows them to play if they wish.

A few months back we had a small event at Camp Pendleton and there were many Pro teams practicing from both PSP and NPPL. Many of those players asked me if they could play in the event. I first said, sorry no Pros for this one. But then after talking to many of them I realized they just want to play paintball and playing 5 events a year is not enough for many.

And I hope for those that choose to play an NPPL event it doesn't turn into some big hoopla. It just means that group of players like playing paintball and has an event to play to add to their schedule if they wish to.

Again, this is about playing paintball and having fun. Not about titles or ranks or status.
Shawn*Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 PM #110
Sharpie_H8
Show. No. Love.

Sharpie_H8 plays in the PSP
Sharpie_H8 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatter00 View Post
so because they dont practice the format, they show up and lose? thanks for proving my point about it being two completely different animals.

Im not saying the majority of NPPL pro teams are better than the majority of PSP pro teams. because its not true. however, there are VERY good paintball players in the pro division, and some good teams.
Stuntin but never frontin, since 91.
Sharpie_H8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:13 PM #111
DJ Paris_82
Professional Photographer

DJ Paris_82 is a Paintball photographer
DJ Paris_82 posts videos on PbNation
DJ Paris_82 is Legendary
DJ Paris_82 supports Ninja Paintball
DJ Paris_82 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn*Walker View Post
I think its great that people seem to really care about the NPPL enough to post good and bad about the league here on PBNation.

I also think, and I have said this multiple times this year, that people need to get out of the mindset of PSP vs NPPL. That is not what its about. The NPPL is trying to put on quality events for an affordable cost. Not about competing or keeping up with the PSP.

They are doing a great job and have a quality series. I just played in the Riverside event and the only complaints I heard were things out of the PSP's control (weather). I enjoyed myself and my teammates did as well. My wife watched PBAccess for the first time and was blown away at the professionalism of the production. I agree with her 100%.

But, that doesn't mean the NPPL or any other league should die because PSP is doing well. The more paintball the better for all.

The main reason for opening up the Pro division is to allow other Pro teams to come play an event if they wish. I have been approached by many of the existing Pro teams that play other leagues and have said they would like to play in an NPPL event if it fits within their schedule. Maybe not for all events but for their local event. This allows them to play if they wish.

A few months back we had a small event at Camp Pendleton and there were many Pro teams practicing from both PSP and NPPL. Many of those players asked me if they could play in the event. I first said, sorry no Pros for this one. But then after talking to many of them I realized they just want to play paintball and playing 5 events a year is not enough for many.

And I hope for those that choose to play an NPPL event it doesn't turn into some big hoopla. It just means that group of players like playing paintball and has an event to play to add to their schedule if they wish to.

Again, this is about playing paintball and having fun. Not about titles or ranks or status.

Very well put.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:31 PM #112
Sharpie_H8
Show. No. Love.

Sharpie_H8 plays in the PSP
Sharpie_H8 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydad View Post
Is it really helping the sport and especially the ranks of professional paintball to support a league that has and continues to disrespect the true professional players and teams buy allowing virtually any team with a couple bucks to play dress up and call themselves professionals?
2500 dollars, lodging for a team and crew, transportation to event, to and from hotel, and many cases of paint, is hardly "a couple bucks".
Im gonna go ahead say that who ever takes advantage of the situation already has a pretty high commitment level.

not saying theyre professionals, but honestly its prolly not very accurate to call most of the guys who in the pro division professionals, most do not play paintball as a "profession" but are simply just elite paintball athletes and players. thats not to disrespect the pro division, its a goal of mine and i believe its the goal of many young players. but i think we need to be realistic and self deprecating about our sport.

this is more or less a chance for teams gain really good experience against some of the best 7 man teams in the world. everyone always has this negative attitude about people "paying their way" onto a team, but how can we do this and at the same time complain about how there is no money coming into our sport? the more the merrier.

if think you can play with the elite, step up and lets see what ya got.
Stuntin but never frontin, since 91.

Last edited by Sharpie_H8 : 08-23-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Sharpie_H8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:10 PM #113
EgoTrip19
MY BALLZ YOUR CHIN!!!

EgoTrip19 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
EgoTrip19 supports DLX Technology
EgoTrip19 supports Empire
honestly i'm very sad to here this new. There goes the neighborhood and the NPPL
EgoTrip19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:43 PM #114
liquidfiretibby

liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn*Walker View Post

What Pro teams from "other series" are asking you to play NPPL?? I would assume any Pro PSP team would not only be allowed to play but also invited. What other leagues have "Pro" teams? Millennium? NPPL and PSP are the only two US leagues considered Pro....

The statement on your website and on FaceBook does not state that you are opening the Pro division to other pro teams, it states that you are opening the Pro division to ANY team. This post here seems like you're backtracking when you realized that this wasn't going o go over very well with the paintball community.

I agree that no one should want any league to "die". That would mean less opportunities overall to play paintball and no one here wants to see paintball die. But you can't say its not NPPL v PSP. What other sport has two "Pro" leagues? None that I can think of. And when there were some (AFL/NFL, BAA/NBL=NBA), they ended up merging for the better of the sport. When one league is arguably superior to the other, something is wrong. Chances are one of the leagues isnt doing something, or many things, right.

With you not being able to roster enough teams to fill the pro division and therefore needing to open an otherwise "invitation only" division to any team, shows that you are lacking revenue and interest. The lack of teams for the Chicago event shows the same thing. If things are already going south, which they seem to be, how are we suppose to believe that you will be able to fix problems with less revenue than you had previous events/years?

You mentioned you wife watched the PSP webcast and was impressed with how nice and professional it was....You made it sound like that was the first time you or her watched a PSP webcast. Really? The NPPL webcast was like watching security camera footage at best. Honestly, it was a joke. I think you should have done some research into what already works for filming live paintball video before attempting such a half-assed effort.

Unless NPPL can accept the fact that their league is failing quickly and make some drastic changes, I can very well see it folding. Most likely within a year. And to me that wouldnt be a bad thing. While more leagues is a good thing, making players pay for a bad experience will not promote the sport.

**I'm just assuming by the username....so if not the real Shawn, then well, replace the YOU references....thx**

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 PM #115
skydad

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfiretibby View Post
What Pro teams from "other series" are asking you to play NPPL?? I would assume any Pro PSP team would not only be allowed to play but also invited. What other leagues have "Pro" teams? Millennium? NPPL and PSP are the only two US leagues considered Pro....

The statement on your website and on FaceBook does not state that you are opening the Pro division to other pro teams, it states that you are opening the Pro division to ANY team. This post here seems like you're backtracking when you realized that this wasn't going o go over very well with the paintball community.
Perfectly stated - How can one say they have pro teams asking to play events when in fact it is the true pro teams leaving the NPPL events? Just plain silly to state pro teams are asking to play NPPL. Of course Shawn can prove me wrong when he post a list of PSP or Millennium teams signed up for Vegas.

If one cannot see how inviting any yahoo with a pocketbook to compete at a so-called pro level seriously cast a shadow not only on the league but professional paintball in general your simply blind. Maybe the motivation is to give some of the current so-called NPPL pro teams a chance to win a game here and there by playing fellow D3 teams.
skydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:11 PM #116
bigbrew44
Blast Master

I don't know if anyone remembers, but this is how it used to be not too long ago.

But, I'll agree that this is a huge step backwards...

There is no prize for being stupid. Please stop competing.
bigbrew44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:25 AM #117
JakeParkinson

plays in the NXL
JakeParkinson owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
JakeParkinson plays in the APPA D3 division
JakeParkinson has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
JakeParkinson supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfiretibby View Post
**I'm just assuming by the username....so if not the real Shawn, then well, replace the YOU references....thx**
It is the real Shawn, though I doubt he came back to read the thread again.
JakeParkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 AM #118
liquidfiretibby

liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeParkinson View Post
It is the real Shawn, though I doubt he came back to read the thread again.
Im sure he wont. He really doesnt seem to give a ****. he really didnt address the issues at hand anyway.

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:15 PM #119
pmac2002

He will and he does. What answer are you looking for?
Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 PM #120
NO.SPD.LIMIT

NO.SPD.LIMIT owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Buy your way to the top. Sounds like the American way. :-/
NO.SPD.LIMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:27 PM #121
pmac2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO.SPD.LIMIT View Post
Buy your way to the top. Sounds like the American way. :-/
Please name all the "pro" teams...that started in D3 and progressed from there. I'm just curious to see what the list is.

Last edited by pmac2002 : 08-25-2013 at 05:38 PM.
pmac2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:14 PM #122
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac2002 View Post
Please name all the "pro" teams...that started in D3 and progressed from there. I'm just curious to see what the list is.
You'd probably have a smaller list if you decided who DIDN'T start lower and progress up...
SameBIG CHIEF - I've met plenty of tools who own a Luxe. Looks like they failed on the tool less aspect.
NoelyDeezNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM #123
pmac2002

I disagree with the above statement but OK.

And just to be clear what do you get buying your way in? Just curious. Lol
Old 08-25-2013, 07:59 PM #124
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
You are free to disagree. take the pro teams in the PBN forums... Almost all of them either started from the bottom or were created from current standing top level teams...

Im sorry, aren't you a pro player?
SameBIG CHIEF - I've met plenty of tools who own a Luxe. Looks like they failed on the tool less aspect.
NoelyDeezNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:11 PM #125
1ofakind
1 0 A K

1ofakind owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
1ofakind plays in the APPA D3 division
1ofakind has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
1ofakind supports DLX Technology
Great reading on this thread first off, ton of opinions and i think everyone has said some good (some funny) and some sad things.

TO BE REAL… yes it is sad that NPPL is dying. But this was all expected in the beginning of the year when half of the major pro-paintball teams (damage, heat, impact, x-factor, etc.) officially dropped out of NPPL. So this has been long time coming, but I honestly didn't think it would come down to this and random pro teams.. again sad to see

with that being said… Paintball/Airball/Speedball actually MIGHT GET BIGGER. follow me for a second... for a long time this is exactly what I've heard from everyone: its all about nppl, no its all about psp. ahhh i love 7 man, i love 5 man. No coaching makes the game more real, no no yelling and shouting and helping your team is better… blah blah blah. Well with that being said no opinion matters now because it is clear what format/style is more dominant, and that is PSP style, 5-man, ramp, with coaching. might not be your preference, but x-ball runs the U.S now and its time to just accept that if your preference is semi. WHY I THINK IT WILL HELP PAINTBALL/AIRBALL GET BIGGER is because now paintball has its MAJOR-Sports League, which is PSP. Think about every major sport in North America… Basketball-NBA baseball-MLB Soccer-MLS Football-NFL Hockey-NHL GOLF-PGA even bowling-PBA… every major sport has ONE LEAGUE. ONE MAJOR GOVERNING BODY. With NPPL dying, psp should do whatever they can in their power and take control and claim to be the OFFICIAL LEAGUE FOR PAINTBALL in the U.S.

Have any of you tried to explain paintball to first-timers? With the exception of walk-on, scenario games, im talking about strictly airball. "oh yeah its a game just like any other sport where you have to score points, the key is to eliminate the other team and then hanging a flag." "yeah we have two formats, nppl & psp, one has 5-man the other has 7, one has this the other has that" its confusing for anyone. NOW with NPPL dying, you can say we have PSP… bam.

Again this is just my opinion, but being a complete sports fanatic I honestly believe having one governing body will help paintball get bigger. especially if we try to compare it to other sports. maybe appoint a commissioner or a board that is IN-CHARGE a lay down everything.

ALSO, with NPPL dying… PSP should capitalize and throw a huntington beach event as its first event of the year! I GUARANTEE it will be HUGE! no problems with weather (which was the primary complaint at WCO) and imagine how many spectators will just look over and seen a ton of people yelling and shooing and having fun… would be awesome. PSP HB sounds good…

let me know what you guys think

LA HAYOPS 2016
Proudly Sponsored By: Critical Paintball || STNDRD || The PaintBall Guy || Penthouse Clothing
1ofakind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 PM #126
bigbrew44
Blast Master

^^^I would love to play an event in HB!
The NPPL didn't have pump their this year. Even though I hate sideline coaching, I would deal with it to play HB. And hell, at least it won't be a million degrees like in Riverside last weekend.

There is no prize for being stupid. Please stop competing.
bigbrew44 is offline   Reply With Quote