PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-11-2010, 02:14 PM #1
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Oxygen Shmoxygen

Think oxygen is a requirement for multicellular life? Think again. As ScienceNow reports, a team of Danish and Italian researchers have discovered the first anaerobic multicellular organisms in the depths of the Mediterranean Sea. The organisms, dubbed Loricifera, live in a basin made up of salt brine "so dense that it doesn't mix with the oxygen-containing waters above."

ScienceNow's story includes more juicy details:

The researchers also found examples of individuals that contained eggs and evidence of apparent molting, which led them to conclude that the animals spend their whole lives in the harsh sediments. The creature's cells apparently lack mitochondria, the organelles that use oxygen to power a cell. Instead they are rich in what seem to be hydrogenosomes, organelles that can do a similar job in anaerobic (or oxygen free) environments.
If you can grasp talk of prokaryotes, protozoa, eukaryotes, and metazoans, the full study (including images) is available in PDF format through this page on the BMC Biology website.

Link

Kinda throws a wrench in the whole "no planets that can support life" idea.

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2010, 02:25 PM #2
Umami
Hitmanimal

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
Kinda throws a wrench in the whole "no planets that can support life" idea.
I don't know of any credible astronomer that would suggest there is no possibility for other planets capable of supporting oxygen-based life.

But this certainly opens the horizons quite a bit
Old 04-11-2010, 05:01 PM #3
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
I don't know of any credible astronomer that would suggest there is no possibility for other planets capable of supporting oxygen-based life.
We have been searching the skies for 40 years looking for "conditions that could support life" and havent found much of anything. This changes the whole ball game.

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
Old 04-11-2010, 05:34 PM #4
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

has been a member for 10 years
We've only had the techniques to detect exoplanets for about 15 years. We've discovered several that may support life, but we have no way of knowing if life actually exists on them. Problem is that most life supporting planets would likely be smaller in size (similar to Earth/Mars/Venus), but those have a very small effect on the mother star's wobble; so little so that we can't tell if it's merely experimental error.

Also, this is just the first anaerobic MULTIcellular life discovered. We've known of anaerobic bacteria and archeae for at least 100 years now, so the affect on the search is minimal at best.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:01 PM #5
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflvikings View Post

Also, this is just the first anaerobic MULTIcellular life discovered. We've known of anaerobic bacteria and archeae for at least 100 years now, so the affect on the search is minimal at best.
I was just going to say, I know there are things that exist which are anaerobic.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:11 PM #6
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

I realize this isnt like discovering America but a step is still step. Whats with all the negativity?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 PM #7
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Fubarius is a Moderator
Fubarius supports our troops
Quote:
Whats with all the negativity?
On this little sub-forum? I'm pretty sure it's a requirement.

Heck, you can make a post containing premature ejaculation joke and humorously implying a major religious figure is a gay wiper and you'd still get people using it as a reason to be negative.

Good example of natural selection if you think about it.

Nunquam emere possis quae facitis
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 AM #8
T-Vizz the 2nd
Liberty Or Death

If you ask me there is probably life on mars, or at least remains of life. On the hottest summer day you could walk around in a tee shirt granted adequate oxygen.

"A prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
T-Vizz the 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:40 AM #9
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

MVPaintballer is a Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
While that's great and all, I think the main requirement for life is liquid water.

Find an organism that doesn't use water, and then we'll talk.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:57 AM #10
wavesport001

Quote:
While that's great and all, I think the main requirement for life is liquid water.

Find an organism that doesn't use water, and then we'll talk.
Life requires water to live as it evolved ON OUR PLANET. Life could have evolved in very different, even inconcievable ways on other planets.

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 AM #11
markcheb
surrender...don't move

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesport001 View Post
Life requires water to live as it evolved ON OUR PLANET. Life could have evolved in very different, even inconcievable ways on other planets.
Troof
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
markcheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:40 PM #12
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesport001 View Post
Great? I don't see your point.

We're talking about life as we know it. Are there places on this earth that are void of water? Yet all organisms require water. We can infer, that since every life-form we've come across requires water, that every life-form requires water. By your line of thinking, you could also consider that they have entirely different elements than us. Maybe instead they don't use matter at all, they're an omnipotent force which watches over us and makes sure we don't have sex.

If you saw a planet filled with liquid water, and a barren meteor-scarred mercury, which one would you place your money on? Which one is worth a second look?

The fact that an anaerobic multicellular organism exists is great, but it doesn't say huge volumes about what extraterrestrial life is like. While it's significant, that life can "thrive" in different conditions than we're used to, we'll still be looking at planets with liquid water, oxic or anoxic isn't really a consideration. Any form of life would be remarkable. If we find one that doesn't use water, that would be even better. But until then, we'll be searching on planets that have liquid water, without consideration of oxygen content.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:47 PM #13
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPaintballer View Post
Maybe instead they don't use matter at all, they're an omnipotent force which watches over us and makes sure we don't have sex.
Damn them. Damn them to hell.

Oh, and we may not have to look for liquid water, MVP, but water in any form be it ice or vapor. But I get what you're saying - water which is accessible to life forms (which may exclude some ice planets).

Also, we have what we consider "green zones" around stars which is where we'd spend 90% of our time looking for living beings. This is because, as MVP said, we take what we're most familiar with and use that as a basis for exploration.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos

Last edited by Crede777 : 04-12-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:43 PM #14
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Spock is a founding member
Plants?

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 PM #15
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Plants?
Need Oxygen
Old 04-12-2010, 09:28 PM #16
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Plants?
lol not really sure who that was directed to

Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 PM #17
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Hey, MVP, go respond in the philosophy thread
Old 04-13-2010, 07:16 AM #18
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Spock is a founding member
Quote:
lol not really sure who that was directed to
"Think oxygen is a requirement for multicellular life?" Plants are a form of "multicellular life".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPaintballer View Post
Need Oxygen
Oh? Which process would you be referring to?

Photosynthesis is as follows:

6 CO2 + 6 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2
Carbon dioxide + Water + Light energy → Glucose + Oxygen

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 AM #19
Krring

And this relates to religion, how exactly?
Krring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 AM #20
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krring View Post
And this relates to religion, how exactly?
Because we like talking about science in here, shush.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 AM #21
wavesport001

Oxygen is a requirement for cellular respiration in both plants and animals. While it's true that plants produce oxygen as a by-product of photosynthesis, they also require oxygen when photosynthesis isn't occurring. They obtain this oxygen through tiny openings in the leaves called stomata.

Quote:
We're talking about life as we know it. Are there places on this earth that are void of water? Yet all organisms require water. We can infer, that since every life-form we've come across requires water, that every life-form requires water. By your line of thinking, you could also consider that they have entirely different elements than us. Maybe instead they don't use matter at all, they're an omnipotent force which watches over us and makes sure we don't have sex.

If you saw a planet filled with liquid water, and a barren meteor-scarred mercury, which one would you place your money on? Which one is worth a second look?

The fact that an anaerobic multicellular organism exists is great, but it doesn't say huge volumes about what extraterrestrial life is like. While it's significant, that life can "thrive" in different conditions than we're used to, we'll still be looking at planets with liquid water, oxic or anoxic isn't really a consideration. Any form of life would be remarkable. If we find one that doesn't use water, that would be even better. But until then, we'll be searching on planets that have liquid water, without consideration of oxygen content.
All organisms require water because the first life on earth evolved in a watery environment. Life elsewhere could have evolved in any environment and use any elements (why not silicon instead of carbon?). I agree we start looking for life as we know it, we can't do anything else, but extraterrestrial life may in fact be so different that we don't recognize it as life at all.

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote