Old 10-17-2007, 11:42 AM #1
boXycOOt
fin.

has been a member for 10 years
boXycOOt plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
boXycOOt owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
The Official Sponsorship Thread!

I have noticed a great deal of questions concerning sponsorships for new and developing teams. My last response, done in a previous thread, seemed to have positive reviews.I have decided to make a more comprehensive thread describing different aspects of sponsorship. This will be done in no particular order and will based on my experience alone in the last 5 years.

INDEX
I. So You Want to Become Sponsored?
II. Alternatives to Sponsorships/Strategies For Saving Money
III. Sponsorships and Where to Look For Them
IV. Building a Resume
V. Helpful Links

I. So You Want to Become Sponsored?

I highly doubt this is going to happen for you. If it was, you wouldn’t be in the newbie forum. I am not saying this to be a dick but when I first started playing I formed a team of my friends and started calling around companies looking for deals. Any guesses on what happened? We got turned down by anyone major and were left out on our own again. What you have to understand is, even though you might be PLANNING on playing some events, or maybe you’ve played one or two, there are so many better players out there than you it would be best to not even bother.

If you have played any kind of local tournament think back to what division you played. I didn’t even get my first nibble for sponsorships until we passed the novice division and won 3 open events in a row. That still usually isn’t enough but that’s a good sight to set. Once you start getting into novice and winning consistently it might be time to start looking into sponsorships. This will be explained in greater detail in another section later in the thread.

“But Tom,” you might say. “I see kids that just started, playing rookie that are fully sponsored by [Dye/WDP/Smart Parts/ETC], why can’t I be?” There are two possible explanations for this. First, and most likely, they are lying their ***** off. A lot of kids will spend great deals of money to buy all the new, matching gear in the hopes it will make them better players. This is obviously not so, and I remember looking at these kids when I first started and thinking they were amazing. Now when I see those kids I just laugh to myself a bit and move on. If you are thinking about doing this, please don’t. You really will waste a lot of money by spending it all on looking good and saying you’re sponsored, you WILL look like a jackass. Another, less-likely solution would be they have strong connections. Networking is the key to life ladies and gentlemen. Whether it be college, your future career, or even paintballing, life is not about what you know, it’s WHO you know.

Make friends, and make many while you’re young. Get in close with the owners of local fields, stores and any major teams in your area. This will pay off later when you start to do better and these friends of yours are seeing or hearing about it. When it comes time to give out a little discount in the store, free entry to a field or even a good team looking for new people, these connections of yours can improve your chances greatly. You’ve been warned.

II. Alternatives to Sponsorships/Strategies For Saving Money

To quote the great Billy Bob Thornton in the movie Bad New Bears “Baseball's hard. You can love it but, believe me, it don't always love you back. It's kinda like dating a German chick.” The same is true for paintball.

We play an expensive sport, I’m sure that you’ve all noticed by now, and I’m sure that’s the main reason you are looking for sponsorships in the first place. The good news for you is there are some corners that can be cut in order to save some money and play more events. Before we start though I would like to place great emphasis on one point: DO NOT SPEND ALL OF YOUR MONEY ON GEAR, USELESS “UPGRADES”, NEW GUNS AND LOOKING COOL!!!!! It’s pointless, in the end you’ll only end up buying more and more and you’ll never look good because the money you were going to use on practice was put into some new “cool” jersey or gun. Save your money for practice and events and stick with the stuff you have. Eventually you’ll be getting stuff for free or cheap and everything you bought would have been pointless.

Alright so lets say you just started a team and you’ve been playing together for a while and want to take some steps to look better and save some extra money. Let’s start with gear, it looks cool when your whole team matches but let’s face it, it’s expensive. So how do you make your team look cool without emailing a company for a sponsorship? One of my first national events we went to it looking rag tag and mis-matching, which actually would have looked pretty cool, but we decided the day before we played that we needed to look a lot better. We started going around to tents and seeing what we could get for discount on gear and what we found were a lot of companies offering package deals. The best one, in my opinion, to try would be Evil. I know they will discount a team that buys the full set of pants, jersey and mask (maybe more I can’t remember) but that will greatly cut some costs there and you will have some added confidence by matching. But don’t limit yourself, run around to all the booths and explain to them that you are playing (feel free to lie here) even if you’re not and that you were looking for some gear to wear for the entire event.

Next topic that we need to cut costs on is paint. For the love of God, do NOT email a company looking for a paint sponsorship. The market is so low at the moment that some of the Pro teams are getting dropped and struggling to get their own deals. Not to fear: Tom has some more creative solutions to save you money. For practices try bulk ordering. Most fields should have a BYOP option included in their entry fees or maybe for a bit more and this is where you need to capitalize. This might not work as well for a 3-man team unless you ordered paint for a few practice in advance. Go to your local store and tell them you want to buy a lot of their cheapest paint. If you have an X-Ball team like I had when I was doing this the company is looking to sell a case or 2 to 10-15 kids. That’s a lot of paint business that can just as easily be taken elsewhere. We were ending up with cases of decent paint for about $23-26 a case. That’s not bad for just buying from a store. If you’re at a national event, don’t try this locally, call up the vendors ahead of time and see what they’re offering for deals. I know XO Industries and Chronic are great for this kind of thing. Tell them that you want to shoot their paint the whole event and they will more than likely offer deals for really cheap, premium paint or even offers for Buy 2/3 – Get 1 Free. It will roughly become about $20-25 a case for premium, professional grade paint. Though you will probably not be taking advantage of this for a while it’s good to keep in mind. Maybe you’re even sneaky enough to pretend that you’re playing and take home some GREAT practice paint if there is an event in your area.

Entry fees also kill a lot of people making practices hard to make. Nothing in this section is going to be 100% true for every area but you can always try, this is where networking is important. Myself, I have to practice in about 4 or 5 different states: KS, MO, NE, IA, OK so traveling for me is a *****. I’ll write this section assuming that you are going to be playing in your local area. Get to know the field owners or the managers that work on the day you practice. Depending on how well run it is, this will not work at PEV’s or PBC, the field has a problem with lazy refs who don’t want to set up the field. Try and work out a deal that you will show up early to practice and set up the entire field, hang the netting and all that in exchange for free entry for your team. This is easier with small and large teams: Small ones getting in free wont cost the company a lot of money and large teams have more people to get the job done faster. That’s the option my team did for a while until the field started losing too much money, just call the field and see what you can work out. Everyone is always looking for something and even if the entry fee isn’t free it could at least have a discount. You even get something for nothing in your life? It really isn’t going to happen in paintball, so you need to decide how committed you are to the sport and the growth of your team.

Travel is simple, carpool as much as possible to save on gas money. Guns are tricky, try emailing online stores for bulk orders on cheaper guns. That’s only if you order all the same gun, this isn’t really important, but depending on the size of your team you might be greeted with a pleasant surprise on how cheap guns can get. I heard a rumor about Bob Long and 12 aliases for $1,000. I don’t know how credible that source is but definitely worth looking into eh? You can thank me later if that turns out to be true. Finally we come the greatest part about having a team, tournaments. Local events can get expensive so here is a strategy we had to make things cheaper for ourselves. The downside to this is you have to place 3rd through 1st. Say you win and the prize is guns, cash, w/e. If it’s not cash, sell it straight off for money. You really have the gear you need so new stuff at this stage is pointless. Once you have the cash divide it up and give back the money each player spend on entry to them and then put the rest in a team account. Use that cash to pay for part of the next event, or even the whole thing depending on how much money you make

Last edited by therealmr : 10-17-2007 at 07:13 PM.
boXycOOt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2007, 12:27 PM #2
martix_agent
Mandated fun

martix_agent is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
here's a good link you can use:
http://www1.wolfpackpaintballteam.co...onsorship.html
Old 10-17-2007, 12:33 PM #3
Blackrain7557
Most negative person ever

Blackrain7557 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
ditto that, i actually pmed that to him
Blackrain7557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:21 PM #4
iTz 5tEvE
Money Is The Motive.

iTz 5tEvE plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
iTz 5tEvE plays in the APPA D3 division
iTz 5tEvE supports Shocker RSX
iTz 5tEvE supports Ninja Paintball
good thread im sure alot of people will find this helpful and some will realize how hard it can actually be to get a sponsorship
Wolfpack D4
BATTLE CREEK PAINTBALL
iTz 5tEvE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:27 PM #5
pbbuddy12
I'm more of a 3 wire guy

pbbuddy12 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pbbuddy12 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
pbbuddy12 supports Pev's Paintball
pbbuddy12 is Legendary
good job, this needed to be done for a long time now.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:20 PM #6
boXycOOt
fin.

plays in the NXL
III. Sponsorships and Where to Look For Them

So lets say that you think you're finally ready to become a sponsored team, where do you start looking and how do you go about doing this?
Before you start to talk to people be sure that you have a good amount of tournament and other experience to bring to the table. By this I mean that you need to be able to come up with an impressive list of tournaments you've played in, placed in and won. These don't always have to be national for the sponsors I'm going to talk about first.

My suggestion would be to start with local fields and companies, using your connections and networking I told you about earlier. Here is what local companies are going to be looking for: Local wins and popularity. In my area there are two major stores, Warped Sportz and Drop Zone. These companies are going to want their products represented and shown to the most important crowd of all, their clientel. Say you win every local tournament you play and even in the higher levels. When you show up to fields people recognize your team and how can a company benefit from this? Oh, lets say you have their sticker on the side of all your hoppers, I wonder where they're going to go next. Establish a popular fan basis in your area and reap all the benefits. By the same token if people in your area don't like you, good luck to you sir! There's nothing I can do for you.

But where else? Honestly, that's up to you to send out the e-mails to different companies of your choosing. But be warned, do NOT go to them with either a badly written resume or LIES. DO NOT LIE! There was a local team that tried to lie to our sponsors saying that they were a sister team of ours and they are now on the Do-Not-Sponsor Blacklist. Yes, one does exist. There will be an upcoming section, not written by myself, that will give more detail on how to build and write a resume.
The best advice I can give is just play your game, get along with people and keep working on being the best. Life is still a popularity contest and this carries over to paintball as well. I wouldn't worry about sponsorships until much later, if at all. Concentrate on your playing and the rest will come, I promise, even if it takes a while. Just refer to section II about making life cheaper for you and you'll do fine

IV. Resume' Building (By: Not Your Psycho)

You are going to need a resume. It is very important and is made to set a first impression. Sponsorships are something that is earned. You usually must be a well delovoped team, and then apply for a sponsorship. Most likely, you'll get a discount. Type up a nice resume.

Most companies usually ask for something along the lines of...

1) Team name, home location and captain information.
2) Teams general history.
3) Names, ages and playing years of each team member.
4) Color printed photographs of each team member. (Can be scanned and printed)
5) Teams practice schedule and home playing location.
6) Future tournament event schedule.
7) Current head to toe equipment list of each team member.
8) Teams past tournament achievements.
9) Teams current sponsors.
10) Team goals for the future.

(this has been sent to all companys. They know it is provided as an example, so don't copy)

ETK’s motto has always been “forever progressing” and that is what we always seem to do. Starting out about a year ago, we have sadly watch team mates come on, improve our team and had to move, however, our roster is never complete until we have looked at every paintballer and figured out new ways to make ETK complete. With this year just beginning we like to think that our future is also just beginning and we hope to make it the best it can be. And I know with all the wonderful support we are receiving, and with your help, we can begin the climb to the top.

As the tournament scene is now growing, we hope the amount of tournaments close to us also is. We are already planning on going to XTPL, Bunkerfest, and we will be D3 in PSP. For the next few months, we will only be playing local tournaments and getting our roster straightened out. We practice at Xdrenalin Zone (http://www.xdrenalinzone.com), which allows us to practice with some amazing talent such as Smart Parts Factory Team, Texas Storm, Diablo Storm, Richard and Gerald from Philly Americans and so forth. Xdrenalin Zone is currently looking into hosting a tournament series, which we are also looking into. We are also sponsored by the store, GatSplat, (http://www.gatsplat.com) and are also looking into a sponsorship with Paintball Dynamics, as it is right down the road from Xdrenalin Zone. Our other sponsors do include Redz, Bawls Energy Drink, Countypaintball.com, *******************; Mac Dev’s, Paintball Kingdom and we are currently working with NXe, NPS, and JT.

We are looking into getting Empire Contact pants and jerseys, and getting custom printing put onto it. We would love to add your logo and promote you in the most positive way possible. We would not only wear these during tournaments, but also practices and other gatherings. We will strive to get the word out about NPS, and the great quality and selection they offer. I believe that player to player suggestions gets you farther in the big paintballing world, and ETK hopes we can help you reach the top. We will proudly hang your banner, and would love to be called one of National Paintball Supply’s sponsored team, wither we place, or even put up a great fight.

We now have 7 members on Equipped to Kill including – (Name, Age, Apparel, Marker, Paint)

David , 16
Dye jersey and pants, 2005 Lasoya, Empire Ramp

Kerr , 16
Empire Grind jersey and pants, 2004 Bob Long Alias, Diablo Heat

Amy , 16
Dye jersey and pants, 2005 Ego, Diablo Nightmare

John , 14
JT jersey and pants, 2005 Shocker, Empire Ramp

Robert , 17
Dye jersey and pants, Angel 05 Speed, Empire Ramp

June , 14
Proto jersey and pants, 2003 Matrix LED, Diablo Crucifire

Eric , 30
Evil pants and a Proto jersey, Ego, PMI Premium

We don’t ask for anything but support, and support is what we hope to give back, if not more. Anything else just helps us on our way to further success. As we go and further better the sport of paintball, we hope we can call ourselves an NPS sponsored team, and hope you would be proud to do the same. With our maturity, playing skills, high hopes, closeness as a team, and organization, we see no other way then up for the future, and we hope you are right there with us. ETK would like to thank you for taking time to look at this resume, and hopefully hear back from you, if not later to meet in person, and show the support you can only hear about.

Once again,
Thank you -
David , Kerr , Amy , John , Robert , Eric , and June
A.k.a ETK

Team ETK Records as of 2005
Extreme Paintball of Tyler 3 man - 2nd
956 Rookie Tournament 5-Man - 3rd
FALL FRENZY 5 Man - Finals
Fun on the Run KMT - 1st

- SPL Millennium Series

New Orleans Warped Army - D1 PSP
Kansas City Elite - D1 NPPL

Last edited by therealmr : 10-17-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:24 PM #7
boXycOOt
fin.

plays in the NXL
V. Helpful Links

Sponsorship:
http://www1.wolfpackpaintballteam.co...onsorship.html
Resume's:
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2403346 - By Blackrain
More Articles by PSUGhost
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=289942
- SPL Millennium Series

Last edited by therealmr : 10-17-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:31 PM #8
boXycOOt
fin.

plays in the NXL
- SPL Millennium Series

Old 10-17-2007, 02:33 PM #9
CrazyGuitarist666

You're just wasting your time.
CrazyGuitarist666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:37 PM #10
foamy333

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGuitarist666 View Post
You're just wasting your time.
well somebody has to get sponsored don't they? but honestly if you are posting in the newbie forum i don't think you should be even thinking about sponsors yet. (not directed at crazyguitarest, just saying in general)
foamy333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:42 PM #11
ROB.
THE lil Rob

i say sticky it and ban everyone that posts outside of this thread asking about sponserships
Random jerseys, empire Arm pads, B2, Revy
ROB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:45 PM #12
2A Captain

Everybody on PB Nation wants a sponsorship this thread's a waste of time

Last edited by 2A Captain : 10-17-2007 at 02:48 PM.
2A Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:57 PM #13
boXycOOt
fin.

plays in the NXL
This isn't trying to get everyone sponsored, there are a lot of kids asking questions about who should sponsor them, where to go, blah blah blah and I think this is going to show them how hard it really is.
- SPL Millennium Series

Old 10-17-2007, 03:56 PM #14
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
It would be a lot more easy to read if you didn't change the color of the text.

This is the newbie forum - no matter how useful your contribution is, new members on this site will always blow off the stickies and go straight to the "New Thread" button. When given a link to a sticky after they make the thread, they will ignore the link and ask for someone to post an answer instead. That's just how it works.

Good idea though.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:01 PM #15
paintball3r12 (Banned)

The 1st sentence made me LOL and give you an epic phail.
paintball3r12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 PM #16
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
We've had plenty these that haven't been stickied - and they were much more organized than yours is right now. Just letting you know.

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.
therealmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:02 PM #17
2A Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by boXycOOt View Post
This isn't trying to get everyone sponsored, there are a lot of kids asking questions about who should sponsor them, where to go, blah blah blah and I think this is going to show them how hard it really is.
im just sayin that if every body that wanted to be sponsored posted here the whole internet would crash
2A Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:13 PM #18
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I edited it for you to make it look nice and pretty.

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.
therealmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:59 PM #19
Nry2137

Good Job
Nry2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:09 PM #20
br0kenpaint

haha we were really broke this 1 tournament and i ran out of paint. some dude gave me like 9 boxes for free. ha i think he mighta got fired though lol
br0kenpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:12 PM #21
suzukikid2112

suzukikid2112 plays in the PSP
suzukikid2112 donated to help Peyton Trent
suzukikid2112 is an NCPA player
suzukikid2112 plays in the APPA D4 division
wow guys way to up a 6month old dead thred
suzukikid2112 is offline   Reply With Quote