What experienced players think is the best starting paintball marker - Page 4 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-26-2001, 03:05 AM #64
cappy11386

has been a member for 10 years
personally. it depends. If you like the sport, and think you want to take it to the max, skip all those crap 100 dollar guns and get like a tricked cocker or angel or soemthing. I know that if i didnt waste my money on my "baby" guns I would have been able to buy the Cobra Angel with all the fixins'
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2001, 04:17 AM #65
ehflipya

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by cappy11386
personally. it depends. If you like the sport, and think you want to take it to the max, skip all those crap 100 dollar guns and get like a tricked cocker or angel or soemthing. I know that if i didnt waste my money on my "baby" guns I would have been able to buy the Cobra Angel with all the fixins'

well for someone who has little or no knowledge of paintball/or can't afford those type of guns or mods, its better to get the spyder, and or Tippmann 98 until he/she can afford it. Or better yet, until they get a feel for the game. Most newcomers are just out to have fun, and want to have a decent gun in doing so.

ehflipya@aol.com
Team Crooked
Old 08-17-2001, 03:30 PM #66
rman

no newbie can shoot 13 bps with any electro gun. it takes time to get the finger timing down
Old 08-17-2001, 05:50 PM #67
tcsnipe

When I first started playing paintball about 20 kids went out and bought Talons a few went with Tigersharks. I must say that this was the most fun Ive ever had in paintball believe it or not. We played outlaw. The oldest kids were me and my friends who were 17 at the time. After about 6 months a few kids saved enough money to buy other guns. There were a few M98's, alot of spyders and spyder clones, and a few sl68's. We were all fairly new to paintball and I must say that it seemed like every game a spyder broke because of user error. I agree in the right hands a spyder or spyder clone is a decent gun but in the hands of a newbie it seems to just break. And now the only players that still play are the ones that used Tippmans because the other kids got discouraged from playing. But keep in mind these kids treated there guns badly and used them alot. So anyway I say that if your playing outlaw and people are using pumps get an SL-68 because nothing sucks more than having to go home with a broken gun. And if Semis are used get the M98 cause it will keep you in the game. Also a kid had an F-4 that I liked alot it never broke and was small and light.
Old 08-18-2001, 04:43 PM #68
[TSS] Dake

What is wrong with a JTUSA gun 4 a newbie?

JT=UNSTOPPABLE!
Old 08-20-2001, 04:47 PM #69
m98bigshot
chyeaa

Model 98, easiest to maintain.
-System X Chrome Drop
-Pure Energy 72/3000
-Empire Reloader
Old 08-22-2001, 11:00 AM #70
SenorFartman

I think you're all wrong. Everyone here is forgetting about teh venerable Tippmann Pro lite. It is the sturdiest gun ever produced imo. There's a reason just about 95% of fields rent or have rented pro lites in their time. Why? Its not only solid as a rock, once you put on a j&j barrel, it is accurate as hell. The pro lite was my first gun and looking back, I wish I hadn't sold it. I know a guy that ran his over with his car, gas it up and went and played. Find a local field and ask if they have any pro lites for sale. You can get them dirt cheap and they'll last forever. Plus it prevents you from buying a spyder, dumping 400 into it and then flooding the for sale boards saying "Totally Tricked to the Max Spyder, Will trade for angels"
Old 08-23-2001, 10:31 PM #71
NightGyr

Ill prolly get phlamed (i havent read all 70 posts) but i recommend a cocker or mag or some mid-level gun. if u r like me and u play some hardcore recball (every weekend) then a spyder/tippman/etc will get old quick an ull wanna upgrade it or get a whole new gun.

i would suggest u go straight to a mid level gun, thay are as little as $200 more than a nice spyder and perform a hella lot better and will last u much longer, have better upgrade options, and u wont look quite so newbieish. if u must pick a cheap gun, get the 98 if u want reliability, but its kinda long, get the spyder if u wanna something more versatile.
Old 08-26-2001, 08:06 PM #72
FSU Paintball

FSU Paintball is a Supporting Member
98 Custom!!!!!!

Hands down. The 98 Custom is $125, is more durable than a Spyder, is easier to squeegie, and can be upgraded to the point where it shoots as well as a $1200 gun. It's the perfect newbie gun; in fact, it's the perfect mid-level gun.
Old 08-27-2001, 12:21 AM #73
CockerMan86

CockerMan86 is a founding member
Re: 98 Custom!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by FSU Paintball
is easier to squeegie
Why is it easier to squeegie? Tell me is it the fact that the barrel is different? Oh wait there all the same. Anyways, please educate me.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:57 PM #74
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!

Scott7d is a Supporting Member
Scott7d is a founding member
Scott7d donated to help Peyton Trent
Scott7d supports Bob Gurnsey
Scott7d supports our troops
starter gun

From what I have saw, Spyders are a little easier on paint than M98's, any new player wouldnt want to spend there time cleaning barrels and bolts of paint, especially if they dont have a revy. Both are decent guns that you can do alot to, i reccomend the spyder. one of the best things you could do would be to find a durable pump, play with it for about a month, then go semi, it will make you an excellent shot in a short amount of time.
Old 08-30-2001, 02:19 PM #75
[TSS] Dake

I am getting A vulcan for my first gun
Old 08-30-2001, 02:30 PM #76
azerial

Spyder Compact 2K is my choice, seconded by the Pirahna

I have tried Tippman's and find they chop balls more often than not.
I have used a Trracer SA and had it fall apart in my hands.
I have used a Pirahna and except for being a gas hog it is an okay marker.

I ended up with a Spyder Compact 2k the only thing with the spyder is i find it is a little noisy with the stock barrel, so first thing replace the barrel and you shouldn't go wrong.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:40 AM #77
paintballpro269

pumps

see the bad thing about all u is that you suck at paintball. a real player can play with a pump against angels and what ever weed whacker the opposition may have. i constantly play againgt angels, with an oldschool pgp. they dont even see me until after they shoot me. i have played against players of pro teams, im not naming names for their sake, and i won. a real man can play pump. i do own a mag with boo yah grip. its tricked out and pimp as hell. but i like my stock pgp more. GAME ON
Old 08-31-2001, 11:17 PM #78
Johnny Boy

Personally, I think the best "starter" is whatever you like and can afford. If you're technically inclinded and feel you will take care of your marker, there's no reason why you "should avoid this or that". Just remember that all markers need love...
Old 08-31-2001, 11:34 PM #79
Johnny Boy

Unhappy

I mean my 1st marker was a 98 flatline. Then I wanted an electro, so I got my shocker. By then it was too late, I was addicted. So, like a junkie, I needed a fix, so I got my love, my 2k1 Black Magic w/ Hinge Trigger. Unfortunately(?) I can't stop, so now I'm looking at an Angel. I guess what I'm trying to say is, have any of these markers made me a better player? The answer is no. I was lucky to get into the sport with a few friends who are now addicts like me. I have the benefit of tactical training from the Army, so I knew right from the beginning that TEAM WORK & COMMUNICATION are FAR more important than RoF (IMHO). But when the day is done, my markers are my babies, and I bought them because I wanted variety.

The bottom line?
I can get shot by a pump while I am holding my 'cocker.
I can get shot by an angel while holding my tippman.
I can get shot by a rental while holding my shocker.
I just don't want to get shot with my pants down!
Old 09-01-2001, 12:27 AM #80
Stotic
Let the good times roll

F-4 Illustrator
Old 09-03-2001, 12:44 PM #81
RadioActive04

i started with a tippmann pro-lyte, tippmann guns are very relaible, get a model 98..
Old 09-03-2001, 06:12 PM #82
maddogz101

best gun for beginner

the best gun for a beginner i think would be a aci illastratur. It has good accuracy and never fails. has a nice comfortable grip unlike the tippman or spyders. plus spyders braek down alot if i were u i get the blue aci illastator. If i were u id get this gun from either 200 to 225. i have an angel right know but that was the beginner gun for me. here it is https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...highlight=f4:D
Old 09-03-2001, 06:16 PM #83
maddogz101

best gun for beginner

the best gun for a beginner i think would be a aci illastratur. It has good accuracy and never fails. has a nice comfortable grip unlike the tippman or spyders. plus spyders braek down alot if i were u i get the blue aci illastator. If i were u id get this gun from either 200 to 225. i have an angel right know but that was the beginner gun for me. here it is https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...highlight=f4:D
any one email me at maddogz101@home.com if u want to buy a good beginners gun
Old 09-05-2001, 05:54 PM #84
Organized[Kaos]

It depends on what you want, if you want a low maintance workhorse, go with the 98, but my choice is the spyder, my friend has a spyder that puts autocockers to shame, its sick how nice this thing shoots. Only took six years to build, but its one hell of a back-up gun now to his Gen X