Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM #1
Markdawanton

Tippmann SL-68 New to Pump

I was just getting into pump but realized that the only hopper I had was my rotors...... SOOOOO what hopper should I use on my new Tippy?

What kind of Hopper would be best on it? With some modification would a BT 10 Round spring loaded hopper work on it?

I saw an Extreme Rage 100 round low profile hopper though 100 is a bit much would it be valid?

Just wondering considering there isn't much you can add on to it.

For the Extreme Rage hopper can you put a speed feed on it?
Thanks Guys!
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM #2
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
BT feed won't work without some pretty serious modifications. I run the ER 100 rounder (ie, Sport Shot) on my Trracer quite a bit, and I've found it to be a great size. Big enough that you don't run out, and you can use 100-round pods, but not so big that it's in the way.

Really, I think the biggest drawback to the SL is the barrel system. It was great 20 years ago when most guns had unremovable barrels, and it was the same system the 68 Special ran. Today, it gets in the way of using a modern barrel.

Last edited by Pump Scout : 10-05-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:59 PM #3
Markdawanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
BT feed won't work without some pretty serious modifications. I run the ER 100 rounder (ie, Sport Shot) on my Trracer quite a bit, and I've found it to be a great size. Big enough that you don't run out, and you can use 100-round pods, but not so big that it's in the way.

Really, I think the biggest drawback to the SL is the barrel system. It was great 20 years ago when most guns had unremovable barrels, and it was the same system the 68 Special ran. Today, it gets in the way of using a modern barrel.
Yea that was my reasoning too!
I want to get a speed feed on it because I hate lids lol Do you think this would be aight?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Feed-U...em20c925 f703

Yeaa so I've heard..... BUT I got the Tippy and a 13/3000 ninja for $50 not a bad deal imo. And I'm just starting pump any suggestions?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 PM #4
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
I'm not sure if that would fit or not. The Sport Shot lid, and I'm going from memory because mine is at home, is a little smaller than "standard" lids, but not by much.

I've heard mixed results with folks running HPA into SL-68II's. Mine didn't work well on HPA, had to go back to CO2 to get decent velocities. Just a heads up on that. The SL runs a really old internals system, it predates anybody using HPA for anything in paintball.

Suggestions? Remember your surroundings at all times. If you're in an all pump game, you can play like normal, but the game will feel faster. Less paint in the air, much more movement. If you're playing in mixed company, you're going to be moving faster than the guys humping a case of paint, and you can wind up way forward before your "fire support" guys can catch up with you. Biggest thing is to remember that there's a big learning curve moving from semi play to pump play. There will be days where you get your tail shot off. There will also be days where you're a rock star out there, one ball at a time. Make every ball count, keep your head up, stick with it, and have fun with it!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 PM #5
Markdawanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
I'm not sure if that would fit or not. The Sport Shot lid, and I'm going from memory because mine is at home, is a little smaller than "standard" lids, but not by much.

I've heard mixed results with folks running HPA into SL-68II's. Mine didn't work well on HPA, had to go back to CO2 to get decent velocities. Just a heads up on that. The SL runs a really old internals system, it predates anybody using HPA for anything in paintball.

Suggestions? Remember your surroundings at all times. If you're in an all pump game, you can play like normal, but the game will feel faster. Less paint in the air, much more movement. If you're playing in mixed company, you're going to be moving faster than the guys humping a case of paint, and you can wind up way forward before your "fire support" guys can catch up with you. Biggest thing is to remember that there's a big learning curve moving from semi play to pump play. There will be days where you get your tail shot off. There will also be days where you're a rock star out there, one ball at a time. Make every ball count, keep your head up, stick with it, and have fun with it!
I gotcha. Even the new Sl-68 gne 2? those also have issues with HPA?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM #6
natepb96
Sneaky Sneaky

I wouldn't say issues, I would say it runs better with CO2. I at first had trouble get velocity up with my SL68-ll the newest version.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 AM #7
cheapchi
mmmmmm...Tiger Balm

Via email exchange a Tippmann tech informed me that the valve is specifically designed with CO2 in mind.

With respect to the barrel, SuperStanchy freak bored my stock barrel and it runs like a champ. The whole deal was as expensive if not cheaper than buying a new barrel.

I've seen Exalt speed feeds modded to fit the Sportshot hopper you mentioned.

Last edited by cheapchi : 10-06-2012 at 09:46 AM.
cheapchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 PM #8
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

I've owned and restored nearly 2 dozen older SL-68 IIs recently, and some, but not all of them needed help to shoot above 220 fps on HPA. What typically did the trick was using a small segment of brass tubing to shim the mainspring and get them up to speed.

However, I haven't heard any reports of the current, 2nd-gen SL-68 IIs needing modification to shoot 300fps on HPA.

This would indicate that the problem with the older guns lies not in the valve design, but the springs beginning to fatigue as they get older.
These guns are nearly 20 years old.

Oddly enough, neither of the SL-68 Is I had needed any modification to hit full speed.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:08 PM #9
Markdawanton

Yea I see
Well I ended up buying a Tippmann Sl-68 II, ER 100 Round Low Profile hopper, 13/3000 ninja, and a apex for it too for 60.
It all airs up and shoots fine! Got from 283-301
Was it worth it? Came with the box and everything too!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:16 PM #10
Markdawanton

OH and one issue I noticed was that when I cocked it pointed downwards the ball would just roll out.....so no detents?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:16 PM #11
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markdawanton View Post
...and a apex for it too for 60.
They make Apex barrels for the SL-68 II?

Quote:
OH and one issue I noticed was that when I cocked it pointed downwards the ball would just roll out.....so no detents?
Nope, no detents.
You'll need to make some yourself out of a bit of nail polish: https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post76563237
Old 10-06-2012, 03:37 PM #12
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
I always found that the cleaning port acted as as much of a ball detent as you'd get with any pump. Once in the barrel, you're relying on the barrel to hold the ball in.

No Apex has ever been made for an SL barrel. I suppose one could be removed from the tube it comes on and sort-of mounted, maybe. If you've got an Apex that says Tippmann threaded, it's either for a 98 or A5 threads.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:34 PM #13
Markdawanton

It hasn't been made for the SL-68, what I meant was it had an adapter than clamps onto the SL-68
Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 PM #14
THE Biscuit

THE Biscuit owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
THE Biscuit owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Yea that was my reasoning too!
I want to get a speed feed on it because I hate lids lol Do you think this would be aight?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Feed-U...em20c925 f703
yes, this speed feed will fit the sportshot.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 AM #15
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
I've owned and restored nearly 2 dozen older SL-68 IIs recently, and some, but not all of them needed help to shoot above 220 fps on HPA. What typically did the trick was using a small segment of brass tubing to shim the mainspring and get them up to speed.

However, I haven't heard any reports of the current, 2nd-gen SL-68 IIs needing modification to shoot 300fps on HPA.

This would indicate that the problem with the older guns lies not in the valve design, but the springs beginning to fatigue as they get older.
These guns are nearly 20 years old.

Oddly enough, neither of the SL-68 Is I had needed any modification to hit full speed.
The old springs material always seemed weak. The fact that you can stretch them to boost velocity for a few hours' play supports this.

The SL1 doesn't have the gas-through grip to choke off flow. Back bottle wouldn't have that issue.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 PM #16
Markdawanton

I see.
Anything I can really do with the SL-68? Are there any modifications I can make to it?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 AM #17
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Not a lot. Barrel change (if you can find one that fits). Add a red dot to the rail. Color change if you don't care for black. The good news is that they're built like tanks, and will last you a long, long time. Mine's 20+ years old now.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 AM #18
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Of course, if you're handy with tools and aren't afraid of altering the gun permanently, all sorts of extreme modifications are possible.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/..._Prototype.jpg
http://www.tippmann.com/forum/wwf77a...l68-ii-project
http://www.docsmachine.com/galleries/scsl682.jpg
http://paintball.overdunne.ca/img/bsl68II.jpg
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...w-sl68-ii.html
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9455/volutes3.jpg
Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 PM #19
Markdawanton

Dangg.....probably not going that far haha
maybe anodizing probably not much else I love the sl-68 its pretty awesome and tough
How much do you guys think an anno job would be?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:16 PM #20
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Don't even bother with anno. Get someone to powder coat it, that's what the factory black is. The metal is too porous to get a decent anno to stick.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 PM #21
Markdawanton

I see.
Good point.